Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

I don't understand why film production people always want to try and do the entire Chronicles of Narnia; the 'main characters' (as in the people you can try to Daniel Radcliffe) are only in four of the seven books and like everyone has always said trying to adapt 'The Last Battle' is pointless. 'Dawn Treader' doesn't feature the full family cast so really you've got two credible films that you can sell. Just do those two and put a post credits thing that explains that Narnia is a big world with many other stories and then, if the money and cultural impact somehow appears, you can do other films (but you probably shouldn't since most of the books are bad).

I think some of them are doable -- A Horse and His Boy and The Magician's Newphew wouldn't take much tweaking to become great films tbh. I've always thought the former would work really well as an animated adventure series in the vein of something like Avatar, but the economics aren't there so it'll never happen.

The Last Battle is laughably impossible to adapt, for more reasons than just fantasy Muslims declaring Jihad on Narnia, but the bit with the dryad being chopped down has stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Spartacus was absolutely brought into production to capitalize on 300's success, but it's pretty awesome in and of itself. Hell, even if you buy into the idea that 300 is satire -- an intriguing notion, but one I can't see -- it's nice to have a straightforwardly uncomplicated presentation of victims rising up against their persecutors. So that, at the very least, distinguishes the two from one another and justifies Spartacus's existence, in my mind at least.

Helps that it has, as said above, strong action and unrestrained pulp sensibilities. Plus it's great to find a television show that's just so enthusiastically in love with its production, something Hercules, Evil Dead, and the Renaissance Pictures lot generally share.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I get (well, intellectually, I've never been) that these are basically all riffs on kids reacting to the horror that is Chuck E Cheese's robo mascots, but was the first possessed animatronics story in this style/cycle that episode of Gravity Falls? It predates FNaF by about a month.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Stop, you're gonna give me flashbacks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

It's fine as long as you don't show a titty/dong

Funniest part is that they (Hannibal) did show a clear shot of a cock, but they got away with it because it was severed and lying on a mattress.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Courtney Cox gonna get haunted by CGI David Arquette while broken arrow theme plays.

David Arquette turns out to be an AI.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Was that Hunger Games prequel that came out last year any good? I (re)watched the Jennifer Lawrence ones over the holidays, and concluded I really like them. There's a lot of serious ideas interwoven with the Battle Royale style plot and Twilight-esque love triangle.

It's decent as far as these things go. I liked it more than what I've seen of the other series (so just the first one), but it's not high art and doesn't transcend what it's doing. It also, unfortunately, doesn't have its best material in its third act.

I had fun tho.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I’m watching the chair now because I’m on a weird Shane Dawson is a freak watching party. The chair is a 2014 show about two filmmakers who each make a film using the same script and make their own changes to it and stuff

Shane Dawson’s first test shot for his film is a green screened driving shot and it looked like absolute crap. He did it because it’s easy and he’s used to it on his YouTube channel

I saw the final clip. Looks bad.

That's the one where Zachary Quinto is financing Dawson's film for some reason, yeah?

Watching Quinto slowly get more and more frustrated over the course of the season was very funny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Transformers 5 is awesome and has one of Anthony Hopkins best performances. His is palpably thrilled to be there and I have no loving idea why but the entire thing is nuts so it makes as much sense as anything else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I wouldn't say often. Iron Man 2 was too dull to be really bad. The Marvels is apparently quite enjoyable though truncuated. I haven't seen any that I'd actually call bad. I've see bits and pieces of Age of Ultron, for some reason never got around to watching the whole thing. It seemed quite bad. On the whole, they're usually baseline "fine"

I guess, for me, something being soulless is the same as it being bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Sony is leaving money on the table by not doing a solo movie for the only other side character people like: J Jonah Jameson (if played by JK Simmons).

CelticPredator posted:

I’d watch a green goblin movie with dafoe actin silly

Honestly, they could do worse than combining these ideas.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Guessing this is The Sympathizer? (I can't see Twitter r/n)

This looks loving awesome. Park Chan Wook, Fernando Meirelles (Constant Gardener) and Marc Muiden (Utopia UK) on directing, that's gonna own.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Feel like if everyone but the showrunner got fired it may of been the showrunner who was the issue.

Amazon has been itching it shut that specific writers room down since the strike, possibly since they acquired MGM since this was originally an MGM show, to the point where there was some sort of legal drama over it.

Angela Kang, the showrunner, is actually quite good and fairly respected in the industry IIRC. She's certainly the only person who's ever been able to draw blood from the stone that is The Walking Dead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Half of Taylor/Neveldine went on to make the shows Happy! and Brave New World, both of which are pretty cool, but the other half (Neveldine) made The Vatican Tapes, which is not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Young Freud posted:

I mean, there's a good chunk where it's the perfect encapsulation of the Internet, where they're using the Gamer puppet technology to recreate Second Life, with Milo Ventimiglia of "Heroes" and later "This Is Us" fame playing an avatar called Rick Rape.

Inspired by this conversation, I went and checked out Fratliners Pathology, the Ventimiglia vehicle based on a Taylor/Neveldine script. And yeah, it's incredibly edgy and does a lot of their things, but also a) directed and edited so slackly that it ends up failing to find the fun in a fairly fun dumb (D-U-M) script, and b) clearly been degayed in the edit. Because that film is so loving gay. There's an orgy scene and every time the dudes look like they're getting close to each other it cuts to ladies frenching.

So at least they're equal opportunities pervs, is what I'm saying, which makes them better than the vast majority of sleazoids we got in the 80's through 00's.

Edit: they should have adapted Catch-22, not Clooney.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 19, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Makes sense that Borderlands is similar to Guardians though.

Mad Max -> Farscape - > Guardians Of The Galaxy
Mad Max -> Borderlands

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Pope Pinion the 4th

Catholics have a different relationship with the gays in the Cars universe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's just a pop film director, you're asking a lot of a guy who's made no real pretensions other than to become an A24 name.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Devs started out pretty interesting and then completely ran out of steam in the back half.

It's mostly interesting for its casting IIRC. Zach Grenier as a handler, Ron Swanson in a serious role (though he's more known for doing them now). Even Allison Pill is playing it against her usual grain.

Casting and set design.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

You know what?

Fine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I can't get over Bond being owned by Broccoli.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is there confirmation that the backgrounds (not the intertitles) are AI? Or could it just be stylised art?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney spent like $250 mil+ on their Disney+ Marvel show Secret Invasion, and there is very little VFX. Apparently the reason for that high cost is that they had to redo a bunch of VFX which cost them even more money.

Was it because of reshoots?

They seem to really love their reshoots over there, sort of makes them come across as wasteful and thoughtless, or perhaps just weirdly cowardly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Both. Lots of bored executives wanting it to be 20% funnier.

Hmm. Have they tried including jokes?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If you believe the stories, on top of shooting these vague general scenes they've been saying for a while that executives get to lay out the bones of the movie. That no matter what happened in Black Panther somebody with machine guns was going to float up and mow down a horde of generic enemies at minute X in Act 3 because the algorithm/focus groups/executive's gut says that it drives engagement. The details can get worked out by someone else.

There was a really unintentionally funny thing on the Lego Masters show when they had a big Marvel challenge night. They got to pick an "iconic" scene from a set of Marvel movies, and with the exception of the bus fight in Shang-Chi they were all just a single guy leaping toward a big monster with a blank background. They all looked the same and horrible except for the bus and it was funny to watch the judges have to try and work around it.

IIRC Shang Chi's bus scene was one of the few action scenes in a Marvel film to have come directly from the director, rather than from pre vis.

Or it was distinguished in some other way, I can't remember the exact details, but it essentially meant it was conceived and shot outside the normal action pipeline.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

I’m confused, the review tries to make it sound bad but it actually sounds cool as hell?

Hell yeah, right there with you.

I'm not convinced that a bunch of suits have any taste, other than some conservative idea of what's marketable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Matt Zoller Seitz was fairly positive on Civil War, and he's a smart cookie as far as I can tell.

(vague spoilers)

His review implies that CA and TX are teamed up together though, with Florida as a separatist group, which he argues makes some sense if you think about CA tipping conservative thanks to the influence of groups like Silicon Valley libertarians and Yes California.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Imma choose to see this as a positive, and that we're getting Kill Bill Volume 3

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminder they seriously discuss whether it's worth giving AIDS medicine to Africans because they as we all know they don't have clocks and have no concept of time

In Speed?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently Boy Kills World added in all the Jon Benjamin voice over in post, which doesn't seem like the move of a film that is any good.

They swapped it with Skarsgard doing the voiceover himself, so I dunno it doesn't seem that out there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cacator posted:

As opposed to what, him standing on the side of the stage and yelling out his lines?

Open Source Idiom posted:

They swapped it with Skarsgard doing the voiceover himself, so I dunno it doesn't seem that out there.

-__-

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I’m at home today so I decided to watch Rebel Moon 1 and 2

Yeah

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

From what I remember people liked it better than the Conan rehash of the previous one.

While this is true, they are wrong to do so. :hai: