Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Great championship winner!

If Truex retires, I'm going with Blaney, Chastain, and Buescher. Done are the days of me cheering for just one guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

The outcome was great but apparently byron ended up edging out hamlin by 8 points for the vanilla championship which is so much more compelling if you're ignoring the relative popularity of each driver..

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I didn't watch much this season but I'm okay with that last few races and a good Cup champ. Dumb playoff but I think we're stuck with it.

Not sure how NASCAR plans to actually unfuck things but hey, happy ending until Daytona.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

playoff elimination format but when youre out of the the playoffs you stop racing. the last race of the season has only 4 cars on track.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Last race is on the Bandolero loop at Charlotte, shifter karts, weapon of choice is in order of playoff seed. No tech on motors.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I don't know that I was ever happy with all 3 NASCAR series champions ever before, kinda neat. Too bad I didn't watch much this year. The playoffs remain one of the dumbest ways to crown a champion ever though, and automatically makes NASCAR lesser than most other top level motorsports imo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive got some long flights ahead does anyone know where I can download old races? Wanted to watch some on the plane.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://classics.nascar.com/

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

These old 1950s races are a trip.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

chamois posted:

just make whoever wins the last race the champion, it makes almost as much sense as the current format and then you don't have to deal with awkward situations like this

I don't think I've ever listened/watched so much coverage after the season as ended as I have this year for some reason. Normally I'm like more than happy to punchout and be done by the time its over. Anyway so far it seems everyone I've heard talk about the playoffs, championship format stuff the first sentence out of their mouth is I hate that it all comes down to one race. I feel like for race fans that is also the general consensus and I just don't understand NASCAR's fight to keep this format that has been endlessly complained about since the first iteration of it.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

With the current format, I don't even remember who won the championship by the time January rolls around, and I never miss a race. If the playoffs have to stay, it would be nice if the final round was three races instead of one.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mearn posted:

With the current format, I don't even remember who won the championship by the time January rolls around, and I never miss a race. If the playoffs have to stay, it would be nice if the final round was three races instead of one.

True. I had completely forgotten that Joey won it last year until it got mentioned when he was knocked out of contention and the tv broadcast said something like he won't get to defend his title.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

I don't think I've ever listened/watched so much coverage after the season as ended as I have this year for some reason. Normally I'm like more than happy to punchout and be done by the time its over. Anyway so far it seems everyone I've heard talk about the playoffs, championship format stuff the first sentence out of their mouth is I hate that it all comes down to one race. I feel like for race fans that is also the general consensus and I just don't understand NASCAR's fight to keep this format that has been endlessly complained about since the first iteration of it.

B...b...but how can you force Game 7 Overtime when it doesn't all come down to one race?!?

(Narrator: What NASCAR failed to realize is not every seven game series gets to Game 7, and not every Super Bowl is a barn burner.)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

B...b...but how can you force Game 7 Overtime when it doesn't all come down to one race?!?

(Narrator: What NASCAR failed to realize is not every seven game series gets to Game 7, and not every Super Bowl is a barn burner.)

I know it's almost like the on track product isn't good enough to be compelling on it's own!

Although I think it's getting better-ish. If they come up with a decent short track package I think we'd have some good racing most of the time. I feel like the intermediate tracks had some decent racing this year. But yeah putting everything on 1 race in an attempt to make it interesting is not my favorite. The best race of the weekend was Alonso and Perez for 3rd in Brazil and that championship has been over for 2 months. If you can get guys racing it doesn't matter what the championship is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

The best race of the weekend was Alonso and Perez for 3rd in Brazil and that championship has been over for 2 months. If you can get guys racing it doesn't matter what the championship is.

I didn't bother looking until today. I thought that was the race for the win.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it speaks to the dire situation if F1 of all things is deemed the most exciting racing smdh

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

i just want the last race of the season to be a race and not a circus. all season long it's all about winning and then the last race it's about being the top finishing guy out of subset of four guys who had less bad luck than 4 other guys

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/NWCS_Standings/status/1723764615371174168

the alternate history that i choose to consider canon

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://twitter.com/NWCS_Standings/status/1723764615371174168

the alternate history that i choose to consider canon

I couldn't believe looking back over at Harvick's career stats he only got 1 championship. For some reason I thought he had gotten one with the #29 and the #4. In my head he's a multi-time champ and the old points prove it I guess.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

That ‘98 season from Gordon is mindboggling

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Ungratek posted:

That ‘98 season from Gordon is mindboggling

Then he flowed it up with another mindboggling season in 2007. Wow.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

been watching a few and lmao @ this cgi gimmick: [should be timestamped]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-93-BdOw4A&t=7205s

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Virgil Vox posted:

Yeah, that's bad. I don't remember them using that and I know why.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Virgil Vox posted:

Wait until you get to DRAFT LOCK.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that was also the era of FOX 3D

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Four broadcast partners?

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1726743949228880254?t=fji9abGP-G0LA6J4StmGnA&s=19

Gonna party like it's 1999.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They need something like f1tv badly

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

People are barely watching these races on regular TV. I watch pretty much every race and I am invested in the outcomes of the races and the season on a whole. I don't think I'll be downloading apps or subscribing to other services to watch a handful of races mid season. That is double especially true if that means I have to watch them live.
What to do on a perfect summer Sunday in August at 2pm:
A) Be outside doing something fun.
B) Download Streaming App+, create an account, put a reminder in my calendar to cancel after the free trial, sit there for 5 hours to watch Kyle Larson lead 232 of 260 laps when I could have been doing anything else.

I don't get it. Do they think they will somehow capture a younger audience or something because that's what all the kids doing, they are streaming everything. They have me, I'm the fan that will watch every week and to me I see this as them putting up a roadblock that will keep me from watching. I don't think the younger audience that isn't already watching will see it on Amazon Prime and go OMG 5hours of racecars Let's Gooooo! I think they'll just be guaranteeing they'll have 10 races that literally nobody will watch.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

I don't get it. Do they think they will somehow capture a younger audience or something because that's what all the kids doing, they are streaming everything.

the entirety of the thought process is "who will pay us the most money to broadcast our races." everything else is meaningless

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Right now I'm just pirating all the drat races because gently caress paying $60+ for some service I'll only use to watch NASCAR. If they had a decent streaming setup with replays, highlights, pre and post race coverage, etc. like F1TV I'd buy it for $10/mo or whatever.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Reynold posted:

Right now I'm just pirating all the drat races because gently caress paying $60+ for some service I'll only use to watch NASCAR. If they had a decent streaming setup with replays, highlights, pre and post race coverage, etc. like F1TV I'd buy it for $10/mo or whatever.

Once I grew up and got a real job I started paying for all the streaming services out of some sense of "doing the right thing", and also it's more convenient. But it's so fractured now that even spending a ton of money a month* I can't get everything. And pirating is so good now, I'm probably just gonna go back to that.

* Currently FuboTV with regional sports pack, MLB.tv, Peacock, ESPN+, and Prime. Previously I have had YouTube TV, NBA League Pass, some kind of NFL poo poo that got me red zone, Bally Sports Plus, various FloSports, NBC Sports Gold, Willow... certainly some others I'm forgetting.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Reynold posted:

:hai: and let views be able to choose the camera so I can just leave it on the blimp (or helicopter...or drone?) camera so I can actually see the passes. I think motoGP had something like that.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I used to follow MLS, and now I occasionally attend matches and do not give a gently caress who is on the roster. I pay for cable and there's other live sports I'm already getting at the same time as MLS is on Apple. I have a longer history with NASCAR than MLS, but they're both niche tier sports in this country, and they both have a far more limited place in my social life than the big four sports.

Ultimately if it's on a streaming service I don't already have, there aren't enough hours in the day to justify buying more entertainment.

I remember a quote from O'Donnell or someone years ago about how they owe it all to us sickos who watch ten or more hours of NASCAR a week, including practice and trucks and racehub. If you're losing someone like me, you've lost the nation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pinecone Sample posted:

I used to follow MLS, and now I occasionally attend matches and do not give a gently caress who is on the roster. I pay for cable and there's other live sports I'm already getting at the same time as MLS is on Apple. I have a longer history with NASCAR than MLS, but they're both niche tier sports in this country, and they both have a far more limited place in my social life than the big four sports.

Ultimately if it's on a streaming service I don't already have, there aren't enough hours in the day to justify buying more entertainment.

I remember a quote from O'Donnell or someone years ago about how they owe it all to us sickos who watch ten or more hours of NASCAR a week, including practice and trucks and racehub. If you're losing someone like me, you've lost the nation.

I decided to shamelessly bandwagon the Crew last night and watch their game against Orlando as my interest in college football has plummeted, and I figured surely the conference semifinals would be on FOX/FS1 or an ESPN outlet, which i can get on cable. Turns out it, as most every other game this season was, was on Apple TV, and I, as a drat dirty casual, am not signing up for another streaming service.

I'm going to guess that if the roles are reversed and Johnny Casual wants to watch the Chicago street race, the outcome for NASCAR will be the same.

TL;DR- NASCAR and MLS continue to be intertwined in their arrogance, and going to streaming without some terrestrial option ain't gonna work to bring in new fans.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/danielmcfadin/status/1729309004147421480

Holy hell, we're doing this again, are we? Can't wait for Rockingham to come back and lose its date again because it doesn't sell out.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1729263366575940010

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1729264206669558181

Gonna be lots of casuals checking it out in 2025 on (checks notes) Bleacher Report.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 28, 2023

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
itym Max users who purchase the Bleacher Report add-on for their Max accounts??

it would be interesting if customers could conveniently obtain sorts of bundled streaming brands through a streamer provider

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Read it and elicit emotions:

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1729984097278161013?t=ziCucxuNxzkDfdkhX18Bag&s=19

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1729984542063128861?t=N50OeXVpUP2iS9pVtOLPYQ&s=19

If you've been watching long enough, this isn't terribly dissimilar to what we had from 2007 to 2014- a midseason stretch of races with broadcast partners cooperating on practice and qualifying regardless of who airs the races and the Xfinity series on one network. (E- it looks like Prime is doing Fox's portion of the season for P&Q and, what's old is new, NBC and Turner have buddied up again.)

I'm surprised that NASCAR seems to be following a set cycle with their TV deals. Here's hoping the races start reasonable times beginning in 2025.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 29, 2023

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

There's going to be A LOT of pissed NASCAR fans who don't have prime and will refuse to buy it (I know quite a few people that fall into that category).

Wow.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

There's going to be A LOT of pissed NASCAR fans who don't have prime and will refuse to buy it (I know quite a few people that fall into that category).

Wow.

I have Prime and will have second thoughts about watching the races.

Really looking forward to talking my then-80-year-old dad through how to watch races on streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

Really looking forward to talking my then-80-year-old dad through how to watch races on streaming.

Good luck!