Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

barnold posted:

not sure if anybody cares about fantasy anymore since ESPN/Yahoo stopped offering it but I created a league on NASCAR.com if anyone wants to come gently caress around

Name: GoonCar Fantasy League
Password: butts

I'm in.

Also, for those doing NASCAR Fan Rewards, this is supposedly an easy way to cheese points toward prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

LOL ARCA had a pack race that wasn't a parade, A Good Race, A Good Winner, and a car that spun under caution and almost got stuck on the banking.

LOL ARCAtona is back baby.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good for Austin Hill to get a bit of redemption yesterday after failing the "all you have to do is finish and you're in the Daytona 500" challenge.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd like to thank Ricky Stenhouse for validating my picking of him.

Too bad I decided not to swap Blaney in from the bench.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pinecone Sample posted:

One of my favorite moments when they weren't showing us green flag racing was those fans sitting on infield picnic benches watching the race on Fox on the big screen. Imagine going all the way to Daytona... and having to watch on Fox. It reminded me of that one Twilight Zone episode, Michael Waltrip cackling, "this IS the other place!"

I saw that and honestly can't even imagine.

It's the same with the social areas they touted as part of Daytona Rising. "Hey! Come to the race and socialize with other fans while enjoying a view of scenic International Speedway Blvd and not watching the race/watching it on TV while playing cornhole."

bigbillystyle posted:

I went all the way to Daytona...and didn't go to Daytona. We had a buddy racing speedweeks in modifieds down in New Smyrna and we were staying at a place in Daytona. Drove by the track every day and never went. We thought about going Thursday for the Duels because neither of us had been and it was only $50 but we were having such a good time going to New Smyrna everynight we skipped Daytona. I did actually meet Michael Waltrip though. He didn't tell us we were in the other place but he was walking alone through the Hooters parking lot which was weird because the way he was headed was away from Hooters and toward...nothing.

Here's a life hack if you do decide to go in future: buy a GA ticket and seat jump.

The only race that sells out is the 500 and nobody seems to give a poo poo what your ticket says as long as you blend in.

And maybe Mikey thought the go-kart place behind Hooters was still open, even though the total darkness might've been a clue.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

nascar sold all but 89 acres of the land autoclub is on, the short track is never getting built.

for reference martinsville is on 340 acres.

From the developers of Daytona Rising comes Fontana Rising, an upscale living, dining, and shopping experience coming soon to a former toxic waste site and racetrack near you!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good, I'm glad the days of hastily called yellows that don't necessarily need to be are back. :thumbsup:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty comical throwing the caution for an incident that happened many times during the race... Obviously a caution for a GWC finish.

Especially since Dinger (IIRC) spun and got into the inside wall but nah, gotta let 'em race!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm not sure who Dales butt factory in Fantasy is but, judging from having Jimmiebot on the bench and the results, they may have lucked into winning last week.

Y'all update your lineups if you haven't: https://fantasygames.nascar.com/live/picks

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There's an LOL ARCA race on FS2 right now. We're 36 minutes past the end of the broadcast window if you're curious how it's going.

https://twitter.com/BlackFlagMatter/status/1634343081771147266

:effort:

https://twitter.com/UrinatingTree/status/1634348667183280128

:laffo:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

harperdc posted:

Do they still go super wide for the NASCAR cutoff corner at Sears Point too? Can’t imagine that’s changed anytime recently.

They do, but Watkins Glen is much more egregious in its "curbs and painted lines are just suggestions" style of racing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Timby posted:

I feel so bad for Mike Joy, it's like he's trying to wrangle cats between Danica spouting nonsense and Clint sounding like a knuckle-dragging mouthbreather.

Did Danica ever win a stock car race in her career?

No. She might've had a chance the year a shoe got thrown onto the track at Montreal, but that good citizen's act of heroism directly caused her to fall out of the hunt.

E- :lol: that she's gone from "buy my book and workout gear' to "do you know the real truth? Question everything, maaaaaaan" in her post-racing career.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 15, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

nothing. cars just could not pass today and larson was one of the few to stay out on the last stop, most everyone else took tires despite that not really helping at all all day

Larson took 2.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sounds like we're going back to the future (again) with the new TV deal, with FOX and NBC bracketing somebody in the TNT slot.

quote:

NASCAR execs are taking meetings with a host of digital media companies today and tomorrow, as the racing circuit’s exclusive negotiating window with Fox and NBC ended today.

NASCAR execs still haven’t decided how to structure a digital streaming package, waiting to hear plans suggested by companies like Amazon, Apple and Google/YouTube. It’s unlikely that NASCAR will offer its marquee events, such as the Daytona 500 or NASCAR playoffs, to a streamer.

Most likely, NASCAR will look to carve out a mid-summer package of races, similar to the six-race package TNT carried until 2014. The thought is that digital companies will have interest in these races that generally bring in solid TV audiences and have little competition from other sports.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2023/05/01.aspx

...and I'm really not looking forward to streaming-only if it comes to that given some of the luck I've had with streaming platforms.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was hoping for a drag race to the line and photo finish 2004-style, but Good Race nonetheless.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1659585303756013568?t=4NSM1K54EpGTbtEthCTRBA&s=19

Surely this can't fail.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/1660462526201581570?t=ddq7STG9SncpH5L9DAvJdw&s=19

Dale Hath Spoken.

For 27 years, I felt deprived that I only got to see one race there and much of my exposure to it in my formative years/the pre-internet/YouTube era was centered around running there on NASCAR Racing 2. If a race where one car stunk up the show means this track is back on the schedule in some form, so be it.

I've also never seen a track with such dramatic swings in terms of a car going from trash to fast. It happened with the 41 in one of the heats and Larson in the main.

E- Tl;dr, I hope Bruton was looking up and frowning.

camoseven posted:

Why do repaves suck?

Tires don't wear as much, which can make the track easier to drive, which can make a worse/more boring race.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 22, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You don't pay somebody back on a speedway, rear end in a top hat, especially in this car of questionable safety.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

You don't pay somebody back on a speedway, rear end in a top hat, especially in this car of questionable safety.

"Once you hit the wall in these things, you can't drive them anymore".

You drove it pretty well to the left. :ramsay:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

chamois posted:

theyll probably suspend chase but it seems like the threshold for penalizing people for wrecks is that they have to explicitly admit to it so you gotta say that

Eh, Matt Kenseth got time off for insisting a right front tire went down right into the left rear of Logano's car and the wall at full throttle.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

deety posted:

I haven't followed racing in close to a decade, but I'd like to catch back up a little since I'm going to the October race in Charlotte. Who's fun to root for? All I really remember about the current drivers is that I hate Joey Logano.

Do you want someone who is an underdog and who pisses off most of the field to do it? Meet Ross Chastain!

How about perhaps the most talented driver of his generation but who said the gamer word on a stream during COVID and is perceived to have fallen up for his troubles (even though probably would have gone to Hendrick anyway)? It's Kyle Larson for you.

Is Star Wars more your speed? The Force is strong with Ryan Blaney.

What about the first African-American winner since the 1960s? Bubba.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Howard The Dork posted:

^^^ LMAO ^^^

Ya'll ready for some great NBC (Never Broadcasts Cars) coverage for the rest of the season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcSPcpaTv0

I thought it stood for Not the Best Coverage. :dadjoke:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Douchebag posted:

The cup race itself was decent. Nashville is a good track. The broadcast bullshit they pulled at the beginning with Jr and Burton at the end of pit wall was a joke. I had to adjust the drat volume everytime they went to them. When they all got in the booth, it was a typical NASCAR broadcast with mediocre to bad announcing. There are too many people in the NBC booth. I know Letarte is there because of Jr but if you got rid of him and Burton and just had the lead guy and Jr I think it would flow better.

Letarte has been on NBC since the start of their current stint.

IIRC, Junyer said a couple years ago on DJD that it's in his contract that Letarte is required to be on any broadcast he does.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

They designed a car in the hopes of making road course (and short track) racing better and it did Not That.

The best way to look at it is cheer for Actually Good Race>Bad Race, But In A Funny Way>Bad Race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I watched the 2002 July Busch race from Daytona last night and somehow found I'm finally OK-ish with this date belonging to another race.

...but a lightning delay in Chicago while it's spectacular in Daytona today. :ironicat:

That said, I'm eager to see how the Cup cars do here tomorrow. The Chicago street course is alright, but I think we can do a bit better with street racing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff Gluck says fans are leaving in droves and there's confusion as to why. One report is that the security has told them the race is over.

kidcoelacanth posted:

no way last race before the playoffs is perfect

Give that date to Atlanta. It's a chaos race, and imagine the :circlefap: if Chase wins a regular season championship at home.

RING DA SIREEEEEEN

Also, if the Jags move into Daytona, it would take away any conflict with preseason games.

E-
https://twitter.com/NASCARChicago/status/1675284502011170816?t=24ZDrK8m5RyuvJGV88jdqg&s=19

Uh, wow. And the fans who are able to get to Twitter or not happy.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 2, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

drat Blues Brothers.

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1675309730950938630?t=ZD7DMYBUQcQGrGWmEIjuKw&s=19

Banzai (Chicago area resident) in Discord suggested there may not be much overrun to make this happen on Monday.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1675558765649690624?t=YIRcB6Kb3xmdKmeTkHlV7Q&s=19

"Given the City of Chicago has us by the balls and we can't piss them off if we ever want to do this again, we have no choice but to Calvinball the race."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 2, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

By some miracle, we're going racin', boys and girls and those of other identities!

As one last pre-race :lol:, Dale Jr's headset doesn't work.

Kirios posted:

Not even ironically

Ironically, though, Chicagoland would put on a good show with the Nextgen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

chamois posted:

how cool this race is vs how much of a fiasco it seemed like it was going to be 3 hours ago is mind boggling

It 180ed from spectacle to shitshow and has now reversed course again.

And just as I say that, we have a traffic jam and full clownshoes has been achieved!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Douchebag posted:

I keep wanting to say this was a bad race but it might be the best race of the year.

It absolutely can be both. It wouldn't be the first time a race had its flaws but wound up with a kick-rear end finish.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Man SVG gonna put on some jandals and put a couple of beers in the chillybin and have a brew and maybe some chups eh bro?

He asked "What do I do now?" on the cooldown lap. :allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how an event that looked like it was going to have all the grace of someone stuffing their keys down their garbage disposal swung into something entertaining in three hours flat.

Not only that, it kept getting better. At one point, SVG was told he had 9.6 seconds on the next car, only to win the thing with cars in tow.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Keeping the cars together all on the lead lap is key, once the cars spread out and you don't know who's on the lead lap or not it gets too boring, and that's how most Atlanta races were.

Now it's like a mini Daytona with less wrecks, NASCAR hit it out of the park with this package, I might even drive the 8 hours to see a race if they keep it up.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Give that date to Atlanta. It's a chaos race, and imagine the :circlefap: if Chase wins a regular season championship at home.

RING DA SIREEEEEEN

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you so much!

If you have a scanner that lets you freely program car numbers and are attending multiple races, consider coming up with a system to keep similar car numbers across multiple series organized.

I typically use the car number and its one or two digit form for Cup, then a number to differentiate the other series (i.e., if you have multiple races with the #24, I do 24 for Cup, 247 Truck (7 looks like a T on my display, 248 Xfinity (8 looks like B, used to be the Busch Series), 249 was what I used for the Rolex Series (9/R).

I also use the same number repeated three times (i.e. 999, 000) for race control and the radio and TV broadcasts so I can push it to quickly access their feeds.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

I bought my first die-cast since I went to myrtle beach nascar store in the mid 90s.

The 04 Dale Jr ALMS Corvette hell yeah.

I hope it's not the raced version.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Denny Hamlin- "we've got smt data to show Chase right reared me!"

Also Denny Hamlin- "Kyle wrecked himself."

He can dish it out but can't take it. The Dale Earnhardt of a new generation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1684912421171761152?t=1fPHE1khr61CY9QGLNGQHw&s=19

I do not hate this at all.

E- NASCAR Productions will produce coverage, CW will hire their own talent.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

stealie72 posted:

OTA nascar content is good. gently caress NBC for putting races on USA.

Also :lol: gently caress you, whoever wanted to make the series streaming-only.

Assuming CW can't use talent contracted by NBC and fox and everyone stays intact at those two networks, I wonder who they go with.

Give me a booth of AB, Andy Petree, and Wally Dallenbach with Ralph Sheheen, Jim Noble, and Matt Yocum on put road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Howard The Dork posted:

SRX in the dirt tonight at Eldora. Should be rad.

I wanted to go, but I'm on the back end of a stomach bug.

I want to die, and it has nothing directly to do with the illness. :negative: