Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HAIL SATAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bip Roberts posted:

These rules seem bad

Welcome to NASCAR, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hail Satan!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chamois posted:

at least it's not another road course

You shut your mouth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pinecone Sample posted:

That's one of the funniest meltdowns of all time. We may have seen the last of him in a NASCAR-sanctioned race.

Which is a shame, that mullet belongs in NASCAR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HAIL SATAN

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That end was fun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SwampYankee posted:

Yeah, despite how I feel about new Atlanta, it was nice to see a pack race actually have good solid green flag run to the finish.

Oh yeah. The booth actually seemed so enthralled by the on track action that they largely shut up, which made it so much more enjoyable.

tater_salad posted:

This was nice. I was bracing for at least one GWC

:same:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

reddick is unreal today

If he didn't win I would have been *pissed*.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, as much as I hate to say it, none of those cautions at the end were BS.

And at least they threw the caution for T8's dirt patch midway through, and if it stayed green, would have been fun to see who could make it on fuel.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Watched the first stage and the end from the last restart.

How much money is Hendrix paying loving NASCAR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can we get AA, Kez, and JoLo for every Xfinity race? They work so well together.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

Can we get AA, Kez, and JoLo for every Xfinity race? They work so well together.

Actually, can we get the Xfinity prod crew for every race, period? The one blunder they had really was focusing on the 66 going for the wall and mostly missing the 02 flipping yesterday.

Speaking of Dega *dusts this off*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The 5 is hosed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Race of the year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress Kyle Larson.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Please bring the track back again. So fun

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, this was a very good way for them to test the waters with it. Yeah a repave will suck, but as long as they keep the banking, layout, and uphill/downhill straights, I think it'll be fun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

First half: Hey, this is fun!

Second half: What the gently caress is this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

i think that was fine, larson just stunk up the show. a longer race with green flag stops and that tire falloff would have been very cool

Yeah, and with 12 more cars, that track gets a bit more packed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/dennyhamlin/status/1663328528320921601

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That Portland race was fun. Played out like a proper heat race with the non-competition cautions between the stages, and had plenty of chaos to boot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Do you want a failson? Austin Cindric or Austin Dillon have you covered.

Do you want a nepotism product who is surprisingly decent (and not surprisingly a chud?) Chase Elliot.

Do you want to piss off all the goons? Kyle Busch.

How about a strong start but a weak finish? Daniel Suarez.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kirios posted:

Way, way too many cautions.

Eh, it's not like they were for phantom debris or other bullshit, they were all legit ones.

Unless you're referring to the number of brake rotors that blew up, in which case, yeah, a bit too much.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, Jimmie Johnson, 24 Hours of Le Mans finisher.

Somehow, a nearly stock cup car managed to survive Le Mans with only having its gearbox go on it, which they swapped with three hours left to go in the race. And by nearly stock, it was 400 pounds lighter due to switching the brakes from steel to composite discs, some cockpit adjustments to make it more in line with a car that would normally compete there, wing mirrors, FIA spec fueling system, headlights, tail lights, extra aero bits, and paddle shifters. The drive train was not changed at all.

poo poo, they didn't even put in air jacks, per request of the ACO itself.

When the gearbox went, it was beating all the GT cars in the race, and of the cars that were still running at the end, finished 2nd last, as there wasn't enough time to recover. All three drivers kept it clean, including Jimmie, and while they lost a lot due to the gearbox change, finishing Le Mans in a cup car? Yeah, that's an achievement.

https://twitter.com/alanisnking/status/1667768410158120961
https://twitter.com/i/status/1667801422811873281

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 11, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

bring back the cup car next year as a gt3 entry

:hmmyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1675558765649690624?t=YIRcB6Kb3xmdKmeTkHlV7Q&s=19

"Given the City of Chicago has us by the balls and we can't piss them off if we ever want to do this again, we have no choice but to Calvinball the race."

I mean, it makes sense. That is the nature of street circuits.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That was loving awesome and I want more.

Words I would have never thought I would say in regards to a loving street race with NASCAR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bubba and MTJ must have asked Ferrari for advice today.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

I mean, I can't really fault NASCAR for making the decision to call it. That storm system is going to be hovering over Atlanta well into tomorrow morning.

Yeah, that wasn't a shock. The problem was loving stupid strategy calls on the 23 (and 19) leading to loving Byron winning.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Keeping the cars together all on the lead lap is key, once the cars spread out and you don't know who's on the lead lap or not it gets too boring, and that's how most Atlanta races were.

Now it's like a mini Daytona with less wrecks, NASCAR hit it out of the park with this package, I might even drive the 8 hours to see a race if they keep it up.

Having all three lanes being viable and a clearly defined out of bounds helps a lot. The lappers can dive down out of the way and not have to worry about holding someone up since everyone is on the lead lap for the most part.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ungratek posted:

This is embarassing

What did I miss? Was watching Indy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Get hosed Larson, piece of poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trux was fun last night. Good strategy race.

Also get hosed Larson.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Howard The Dork posted:

In cooler news SVG is gonna drive in the Truck race at Indianapolis.

https://racer.com/2023/08/02/van-gisbergen-to-make-nascar-truck-debut-at-irp/

Get the gently caress in.

Also get hosed Chase.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sam Mayer doing the loving needful :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gonna be at the Mile for Trucks today.

And Arca.

e: I think the crash only happened because the car passed over the grass. I, at first, thought it got caught on the transition between it and pavement, but when the car entered the grass, suddenly there's enough air under it because of the grass it simply lifted up. It's a testament to those cars though that he was able to climb out mostly under his own power.

Also, same thing with Blaney and to a lesser extent Gibbs. Blaney's wreck was 100% the same one that killed Dale, but he walked away. The combo of SAFER (thanks Indy), HANS, and the cars being designed to crumple a lot easier than the old ones allowed him to walk away and race again.

I'm sure NASCAR is gonna take Preece's and Blaney's cars back to Charlotte and do some deep digging into them.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 27, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trucks was good.

Happened to record Majeski nearly rear ending Heim in the pits too.

https://i.imgur.com/bSlKqbB.mp4

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 28, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good race, bad winner.

Too bad Bubba cooked his tires at the end, but it was a very solid result for him, and Buescher is scary now. Where did he come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

NASCAR is not doing the Bristol dirt track race next year.

Bring back Eldora.