Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
When I was in school I had no interest in learning other languages and I took Latin in high school because I heard it would help me learn medical terminology. Later in my life I have gained more of an interest in it and have self taught some, mostly Spanish but I also went through a phase where I wanted to learn Japanese. I learned the hiragana and katakana and then I got to Kanji and got overwhelmed so I quit. But I also learned a few basic phrases.

I'm curious who else has an interest in languages and how you go about learning them. I always hear from people that took Spanish in school that they gained nothing from it and remember nothing. I've taught myself and I'm basically at an advanced beginner to early intermediate level and I've never taken a class. Granted I did learn about conjugation with Latin and some of the words are similar. But I only took 2 classes of Latin in high school.

The way I have learned is mostly by reading. I also like to watch shows and listen to music in Spanish. At one point I was watching the simpsons dubbed into Spanish because I already knew the plot and what they would be talking about so I could understand it better. It's also fun to hear what the voices are like in another language. I think the actors did a good job with the simpsons. I also watched some seinfeld in Spanish for the same reason.

I think my favorite part about learning other languages is learning about turns of phrase and things like that, where they have a phrase with a similar connotation to something in English but they go about it a different way. It's just interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just learn python so you can speak to snakes

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
ASL is cool and it’s fun to pick up some useful phrases. It’ll also make you feel real good about yourself when you’re able to connect with somebody who uses it. Got to help some lady with her bags and tell her her kid looked cute.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Take a couple Spanish classes and get a job at a restaurant and you will be having full fledged conversations with people that speak less English than you do of Spanish, which is pretty cool.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm extremely lazy so I suck at learning them.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I been doing a books on tape Learn Mandarin with Paul Noble and it has been good but I'll never learn to read with it. One thing at a time maybe.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

I've tried several times with different languages. It's something I'd like to be able to do, especially since I used to know a lot of people from around Europe who spoke multiple languages, but it's a big task and without consistent reminders of why you're learning along with consistent opportunities/obligations to actually use it, I doubt I'll ever get that far with any of them. Fact is it just becomes boring in isolation.

Probably the same for 99% of people who randomly start learning another language too, so I don't really feel bad about it. Might happen one day, might not.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm absolutely fascinated by languages and accents and stuff. If I had some wishes, one would be to be able to speak every language fluently.

I started with Spanish in Jr. High (forgot it), German in high school (forgot it), Russian sometime in my 20s (forgot it), and now I want to learn Spanish again because it's the most practical in my area.

The problem is I'm incredibly lazy. :(

I have a ton of learning materials scattered all over.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

There is a subforum in A/T with some language learning sources.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=162

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

N. Senada posted:

ASL is cool and it’s fun to pick up some useful phrases. It’ll also make you feel real good about yourself when you’re able to connect with somebody who uses it. Got to help some lady with her bags and tell her her kid looked cute.

Always wanted to try learning ASL, my campus had a group but I never had time to come in regularly. Any good and preferably free resources?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

matsu 松 means pine (tree) and the turn of phrase "to pine for X" means the same thing in japanese as it does in english

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The key is to have been raised bilingual and it automatically becomes way easier.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The main issue with learning Japanese in high school is there wasn't much opportunity to converse with anyone other than classmates, so a lot of it never stuck. I took up German in college, and I'm far better at it despite only one year of formal classes. Finding someone who speaks German in Wisconsin isn't all that hard, and German media is really easy to come by. I can honestly say I learned almost as much German from listening to Rammstein as I did in class.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone found language education through the school system to be a good way to learn languages? The only people I know who actually speak the language they "learned" in school were Mexican kids who took Spanish or Chinese kids who took Chinese. Actual multilingual people all got it somewhere else.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Infidel Castro posted:

Finding someone who speaks German in Wisconsin isn't all that hard

That's why I took it when it was available in high school. Although I've only ran into one German here who couldn't speak english well who needed help and I was able to help him! It was maybe 8 years ago and the guy was struggling with money at the register at Walgreens. I forgot almost everything but I still knew some numbers so I was able to show him our money denominations. I felt happy about that!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The key is to have been raised bilingual and it automatically becomes way easier.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone found language education through the school system to be a good way to learn languages? The only people I know who actually speak the language they "learned" in school were Mexican kids who took Spanish or Chinese kids who took Chinese. Actual multilingual people all got it somewhere else.

i guess it's a jumping-off point but the only way to learn language is to talk to people who speak the language

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Half of my family only speaks Spanish and the other only speaks English, so I had to pick them both up when I was a kid. I don't live in either Mexico or California anymore, and there's no one around me to speak Spanish with, so I'm starting to get rusty.

N. Senada posted:

My wife knows ASL and she has some friends who are deaf, so I've gotten some basics down. It's fun as hell and is great for when we're somewhere loud and still need to communicate.

I'm learning Japanese right now, actually. There's a great thread in A/T that goes over some resources to get you started, and I can't recommend it enough if you're still interested in it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Colonel Cancer posted:

Always wanted to try learning ASL, my campus had a group but I never had time to come in regularly. Any good and preferably free resources?

Here’s a free intro course essentially

https://youtu.be/DaMjr4AfYA0

Check out his other vids

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

N. Senada posted:

Here’s a free intro course essentially

https://youtu.be/DaMjr4AfYA0

Check out his other vids

Thanks!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

this

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been living in Beijing for almost six years and it's taken me just as long to get to a pretty decent level of Mandarin Chinese fluency. I'm really bad at picking up languages, but I make the effort to keep learning the language everyday so eventually I got to my current level regardless.

Being persistent can outweigh being bad at languages if you keep trying for long enough, is what I'm saying.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

kntfkr posted:

I been doing a books on tape Learn Mandarin with Paul Noble and it has been good but I'll never learn to read with it. One thing at a time maybe.

I might give that a go. I tried learning Mandarin but didn’t get much further than the basic greetings and pleasantries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bargearse posted:

I might give that a go. I tried learning Mandarin but didn’t get much further than the basic greetings and pleasantries.

It's a good value. 1 credit on audible for a 15 hour course and I like it better than Pimsleurs so far. I have until late march to brush up on my skillz