Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

eastern Washington politics

"Kill all males" said the eastern Washington fundamentalist Christian leader, commenting on what should be done with those who refuse to convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Boise, Idaho and its surrounding areas have some incredibly amazing nature. You have quick access to mountains for skiing and snowboarding. Bogus Basin is like thirty minutes away. Also quick access to lush forests/wilderness and rivers for sight-seeing or incredible quality white-river rafting. Camping, hunting, fishing in gorgeous areas. The food culture is also quite good if you're ignoring salt-water fish. Lake Cascade to take the family or friends for swimming or boating. It's an absolutely beautiful state that experiences all four seasons and for the most part people are friendly.

Unfortunately the state is run by Republicans and it really shows.

Also, there is no way they will ever legalize marijuana.

I kind of feel like this conjecture applies to most places that are considered bad that aren't a literal desert, but definitely to examples like the one before mine.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Also I don't know why it's this way, but if you've ever crossed the border from Oregon to Idaho (heading to Boise), it's kind of funny. Oregon is a pretty lovely drive almost all the way through. Big cliffs and canyons, a bunch of trees, and sure some sections of drylands, but you're definitely feeling the nature. Then you get to Idaho and the second you cross the border it's just factories, businesses and dirty billboards lining the highway for miles and it all looks like absolute poo poo. It feels like crossing into your white-trash neighbors yard, complete with ignorant opinions on over-sized flags.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jelly posted:

Boise, Idaho and its surrounding areas have some incredibly amazing nature. You have quick access to mountains for skiing and snowboarding. Bogus Basin is like thirty minutes away. Also quick access to lush forests/wilderness and rivers for sight-seeing or incredible quality white-river rafting. Camping, hunting, fishing in gorgeous areas. The food culture is also quite good if you're ignoring salt-water fish. Lake Cascade to take the family or friends for swimming or boating. It's an absolutely beautiful state that experiences all four seasons and for the most part people are friendly.

Unfortunately the state is run by Republicans and it really shows.

Sounds like the state of Arizona to a T. There is so much incredibly diverse landscape in the entire state that you’re never too far away from someplace different. I live in Tucson which is in the Sonoran desert, but within a sixty mile radius there are lakes, canyons, forests, mountains, plains, and a whole other country (Mexico). Even though Tucson is a desert, we have Mt. Lemmon (the country’s southernmost ski valley, I believe) which has gotten a considerable amount of snow this year, and I woke up to snow on my car just the other day.

Arizona has always been a red state, but it’s changing slowly for the better with people coming from California turning it purple. We unfortunately still have/had terrible lovely people in power like Kyrsten Sinema, Paul Gosar, former governor Doug Ducey, and we almost had Kari Lake for governor (lol).

It’s easy to dismiss Arizona because of the crazy people in politics that make headlines, but otherwise it’s a nice place to live (unless you’re in a rich enclave of Maricopa County; gently caress those people). Flagstaff is beautiful country. The small towns are fun to spend a day or two exploring. Even Phoenix and its surrounding communities have a lot of stuff to do and see.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

N. Senada posted:

There are legitimately terrible places to exist, like the room in Room

But then there are places that suck to live in but aren’t actually hell on earth

Like New South Wales

And Ohio

New South Wales has some very beautiful national and state parks. Some of the towns suck bigtime, e.g. Wollongong. Sydney is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

N. Senada posted:

I lived in Montana for a while and it’s only redeeming feature seemed to be it wasn’t North Dakota

yea, montana loving sucks balls. i was raised in that poo poo hole, and now its full of yellow stone idiots apparently

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
its probably why my posting is terrible. no class

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Munkeylord posted:

yea, montana loving sucks balls. i was raised in that poo poo hole, and now its full of yellow stone idiots apparently

drat, I though the cowboy cosplayers I met were bad. I can only imagine how powerful they are now

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My sister moved to Edinburgh, and holy poo poo that city rules. Flying into the airport was the most beautiful and the most downright terrifying experience I’ve ever had because that area of the world is cursed by some wind wizard. I’m willing to risk wizard death to visit again, fingers crossed this is where my sister stays.

BigBadSteve posted:

New South Wales has some very beautiful national and state parks. Some of the towns suck bigtime, e.g. Wollongong. Sydney is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there

Sydney is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, hands down. I smelled fresh jasmine for the first time and had a halal snack pack, both positively changing me as a person. I intend to go back to Australia sometime again in my life, it was such a delight, and I was on a work trip.

E: ok for actual “I would rather loving die than live there” - upstate NY. Absolutely beautiful, coming from the perverse and sinful downstate, upstate NY really can blow you away. But the further North you go, the further South it feels, minus the cities. My family has been in WNY since the 1600s (as colonizers), so I’ve been up there far more times than I’d ever intend to be. It’s so beautiful but it’s loving awful!!!

teen witch fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 17, 2023

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I feel like Ontario fits the thread title to a T

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017

You Are A Elf posted:

Sounds like the state of Arizona to a T. There is so much incredibly diverse landscape in the entire state that you’re never too far away from someplace different. I live in Tucson which is in the Sonoran desert, but within a sixty mile radius there are lakes, canyons, forests, mountains, plains, and a whole other country (Mexico). Even though Tucson is a desert, we have Mt. Lemmon (the country’s southernmost ski valley, I believe) which has gotten a considerable amount of snow this year, and I woke up to snow on my car just the other day.

Arizona has always been a red state, but it’s changing slowly for the better with people coming from California turning it purple. We unfortunately still have/had terrible lovely people in power like Kyrsten Sinema, Paul Gosar, former governor Doug Ducey, and we almost had Kari Lake for governor (lol).

It’s easy to dismiss Arizona because of the crazy people in politics that make headlines, but otherwise it’s a nice place to live (unless you’re in a rich enclave of Maricopa County; gently caress those people). Flagstaff is beautiful country. The small towns are fun to spend a day or two exploring. Even Phoenix and its surrounding communities have a lot of stuff to do and see.

Neighbor, if you think the people of AZ have any redeeming features you ought to try living in rural Yavapai Co for a few years like I did. :lol: Mormons on the right of me, fundies to the left, neither of whom had anything to say to me after I made my disinterest in their cults clear. gently caress rural AZ. (The land is glorious though, it's true. I will miss wandering the countryside.)

Chicago might count for this thread. Moved here 5 months ago and am finding it a big improvement to be able to do anything I want by getting on a bus and letting someone else drive. There are lots of Mexican born folks where I live, so it's pretty familiar when I go outside. Can't say I like it yet-it's loud and dirty and people are either towering assholes or overbearingly nosy, but I feel safer here than I did in AZ where everyone walked around open carrying. Lots of jobs.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Shout-out for DC - if you can find a way to disconnect from the constantly rotating cast of young people who want to cut their teeth in government or consulting / contracting before getting chewed up, spit out, and sent back from whence they came, the city has a lot of good food, entertainment, and of course, free and awesome museums.

kntfkr posted:

the tunnels

Also this. Tunnel Snakes rule!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Christchurch, New Zealand

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

git apologist posted:

Christchurch, New Zealand

is extremely bad

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

The stately pleasure dome ain’t bad at all

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Me again. posted:

Neighbor, if you think the people of AZ have any redeeming features you ought to try living in rural Yavapai Co for a few years like I did. :lol: Mormons on the right of me, fundies to the left, neither of whom had anything to say to me after I made my disinterest in their cults clear. gently caress rural AZ. (The land is glorious though, it's true. I will miss wandering the countryside.)

Oh yeah, the closer you get to Utah, the more Mormons and fundies you’re gonna see. Yeah, Yavapai County is scary. I remember my mom and sister drove to Las Vegas about twenty years ago and stopped in Wickenburg to get gas. They were immediately greeted by a white supremacist skinhead screaming racial slurs at them and staring them down face to face, and they hightailed it out of there. I can only imagine it’s gotten worse since then.

Mohave County also has its share of meth heads, fundies, and white supremacist enclaves, according to an old family friend that moved to Kingman decades ago. I don’t know Arizona that well north of Phoenix because I’ve only been exploring up there twice. I mean, it’s beautiful because you’ve got the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and the Hopi and Navajo reservations, but I wouldn’t want to live there. Everything from Phoenix down is dope, though.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

old havana is filthy, bad sewers, electricity outages, buildings collapsing, 1 bathroom in a building with like 8 families living in it, no milk or paper or beef or bread, lots of european tourists, no money or shops to buy stuff

also everyone owns their apartment, get rations (not enough ), have a postgraduate degree (lol), good teeth, safest place in the world, very beautiful, cool cars, internet is a seafloor ethernet cable to venezuela so dont bother using it

it’s very strange

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

teen witch posted:

RI, but living in Providence made me a better person. Had I not hosed off to Europe I think I’d make a loving attempt to move back. It’s like constantly living in hell but it’s also kinda cool?

Wrong, give the Hamptons back to the rightful owners - the Shinnecock. The way the town of Southampton has treated them is loving shameful.

Absolutely beautiful area and I miss my commute sometimes when it’s not summer.

Honestly America would be way better if more white people went to Europe

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Midland/Odessa area in West Texas is boring but fine really.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Last time I was in new Mexico I got to see a pack of wild dogs eat a dead horse on the side of the road

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I lived in New Jersey for a little while. People like to talk poo poo about NJ, but it was fine. It's kind of expensive, and most of the roads and buildings are super old, and there's nothing particularly great to see or do, but it's not bad. Solidly OK.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have a lot of good friends from nj so i dont poo poo on it but the roads there are loving insane.

i mean not like uniquely so, but its definitely in like the top 5 crappiest roads in the country

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Reseda is pretty okay if you don't mind having to drive 45 minutes to get to any freeway entrance

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
GBS

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Whoa :2monocle:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

God drat. That is some Old Testament poo poo.

Where else are we gonna go?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

jarofpiss posted:

old havana is filthy, bad sewers, electricity outages, buildings collapsing, 1 bathroom in a building with like 8 families living in it, no milk or paper or beef or bread, lots of european tourists, no money or shops to buy stuff

also everyone owns their apartment, get rations (not enough ), have a postgraduate degree (lol), good teeth, safest place in the world, very beautiful, cool cars, internet is a seafloor ethernet cable to venezuela so dont bother using it

it’s very strange

Sounds pretty lovely tbh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Most places aren't that bad if you're hopelessly corrupt

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:evilbuddy:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Most places aren't that bad if you're hopelessly corrupt

lowtax is dead. we won

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

lowtax is dead. we won

this feels like a conversation I wasn't actually having

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Smugworth posted:

Austin, TX resides in the worst state in the union and mostly sucks rear end but there's good food and HEB

It is absolutely not as cool as perceived and not as cool as the price would suggest

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I lived in New Jersey for a little while. People like to talk poo poo about NJ, but it was fine. It's kind of expensive, and most of the roads and buildings are super old, and there's nothing particularly great to see or do, but it's not bad. Solidly OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxquby-MSTA

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

this feels like a conversation I wasn't actually having

I've been doing ok. Some hard times, but I got a good job now

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My bedroom :grin:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

General Dog posted:

Midland/Odessa area in West Texas is boring but fine really.

Anecdotally, definitely the worst place I’ve lived

Trash everywhere, the tap water stinks, republicans, no trees, terrible weather all year, bad food(especially bad Mexican food), impossible to walk or bike anywhere, obnoxious truck culture, junkie neighbors

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

git apologist posted:

is extremely bad

Hey, it's not that far amazing place Wellington. It's also very far from awful place Auckland.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

it's alberta op

except it is actually that bad

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I visited Galveston once for an afternoon and wow it’s really pretty oh there’s some loving tanker in the ocean and no crosswalks.

Older West Africans need a new place to call their Boca Raton. Texas is the reason indeed. How is it so big yet so inaccessible.

E: I will cop to seeing a land yacht with longhorns and that was pretty baller, same with NASA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Last time I was in new Mexico I got to see a pack of wild dogs eat a dead horse on the side of the road

This aside, I cannot put it into words but there is just something about New Mexico that I can get out of my head, I just love it. I’ve only been there three times in my life but I’ve seen quite a lot of the state other than far northeast. It’s just a wonderful place.