Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yoloer420 posted:

Hey, it's not that far amazing place Wellington. It's also very far from awful place Auckland.

both wellington and auckland are good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

This aside, I cannot put it into words but there is just something about New Mexico that I can get out of my head, I just love it. I’ve only been there three times in my life but I’ve seen quite a lot of the state other than far northeast. It’s just a wonderful place.

Would you say you're enchanted by it?

I also like New Mexico a lot

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Also, Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania is the correct answer to this thread.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

people make fun about New Jersey, but at least we don't suffer from crazy hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding or random forest fires like the west coast, or even crazy snow for normal weather.

the drivers do suck though, including me

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

GateOfD posted:

people make fun about New Jersey, but at least we don't suffer from crazy hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding or random forest fires like the west coast, or even crazy snow for normal weather.

Read this as though you thought the west coast gets all of these things.
Besides, the forest fires aren't so random anymore. We just try to guess when they'll start and how long they'll last.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

GateOfD posted:

True, Sandy technically wasn't a hurricane.

Also most of that state is pretty low elevation- wise so the flooding thing probably won't stay true for long

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GateOfD posted:

when i lived in nyc i had many coworkers and friends in nj who had to deal with flooding and other damage from hurricanes irene and sandy :confused:

also noreasters are annoying

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I visibly remember NJ constantly getting hosed up by storms, it’s either NJ or the south shore of LI, sometimes both.

I did find the stronger that the storm jingle a bit crass.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The bay area. Gets an insane amount of hate, but I feel like the shrill right wingers crying about it should be more like an endorsement.

There's a lot I dislike about it, but it's beautiful, eclectic, unique, has tons of fantastic natural areas around and most of all has mostly open minded and cool people

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Iowa is just OK.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Play posted:

The bay area. Gets an insane amount of hate, but I feel like the shrill right wingers crying about it should be more like an endorsement.

There's a lot I dislike about it, but it's beautiful, eclectic, unique, has tons of fantastic natural areas around and most of all has mostly open minded and cool people

The bay area is wonderful and doesn't belong in this thread. Get out

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Treecko posted:

Iowa is just OK.

Narrator: Iowa was not OK.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Play posted:

it's still beautiful but culturally not what it used to be. i grew up in the bay area and 90% of the people i know who complain about the bay are people like me who grew up there and can no longer afford to live there and have a bunch of artist friends who got ellis acted out of san francisco. not "right wingers" lol. i live in la now and work as a musician and composer, as do several other people in the building where i live, and it's been really easy to meet other musicians here. when i go up to the bay people get all "is that a real job?" about it, and its also harder to find anyone who wants to do music outside of their job, which loving sucks because it used to be a hotbed for great music.

and there are plenty of right wingers in the bay. they live in walnut creek and several of the other suburbs. and while its not technically the bay, the nearby santa cruz mountains are full of hosed up right wing militias and christian cults, interspersed with the hippie communes and millionaire-owned wineries

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 20, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Los Angeles has something for everyone. It gets a lot of hate because it isn’t laid out conveniently for tourists. I grew up in the Bay Area and everyone looked down their nose at the whole city for being “fake” and “crass” and having lovely traffic.

The Bay Area has equally bad traffic and almost no culture left so those criticisms don’t quite pack the punch they used to.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The vast VAST majority of right wingers who bitch about the Bay Area in general and San Francisco in particular either know little/nothing about it and are parroting what they hear from Fox(THEY poo poo IN THE STREET THERE), or are Boomers who had the financial restraint of a hungry toddler in a breakfast cereal factory, consequently have no savings and made 1 MILLION DOLLARS off their lovely tract house and moved to some other state where they’re not wanted either.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Los Angeles has something for everyone. It gets a lot of hate because it isn’t laid out conveniently for tourists. I grew up in the Bay Area and everyone looked down their nose at the whole city for being “fake” and “crass” and having lovely traffic.

The Bay Area has equally bad traffic and almost no culture left so those criticisms don’t quite pack the punch they used to.

Nobody even lives in SF all the housing is owned by foreign investment firms

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

JnnyThndrs posted:

The vast VAST majority of right wingers who bitch about the Bay Area in general and San Francisco in particular either know little/nothing about it and are parroting what they hear from Fox(THEY poo poo IN THE STREET THERE), or are Boomers who had the financial restraint of a hungry toddler in a breakfast cereal factory, consequently have no savings and made 1 MILLION DOLLARS off their lovely tract house and moved to some other state where they’re not wanted either.

I feel like you could say this about almost any major city. My brother is a one hour ferry ride from Seattle. He talks about how it's a degenerate cesspool that's overrun by homeless and drug addicts. It's a dangerous place that people shouldn't go to. Dude hasn't been there in years.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 23, 2023

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

JnnyThndrs posted:

The vast VAST majority of right wingers who bitch ... know little/nothing.

ftfy

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

I feel like you could say this about almost any major city. My brother is a one hour ferry ride from Seattle. He talks about how it's a degenerate cesspool that's overrun by homeless and drug addicts. It's a dangerous place that people shouldn't go to. Dude hasn't been there in years.

Some of my wife’s family friends still talk years later about a mentally ill homeless woman they saw who was yelling at herself and clearly possessed by a literal demon. To them it was extremely traumatic and proof that SF has some kind of inherent taint to it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone who shits on NYC for being too unhinged or whatever deserved to live in that fear. If you want safe and coddled, go to Disney (or worse, Times Square).

Make NY Hostile Again

E: the fighting mascots can absolutely stay. In fact can we get Mr. Met to throw down on bootleg Elmo?

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 23, 2023

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

downtown Portland, OR*

*not in a tent

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

teen witch posted:

Anyone who shits on NYC for being too unhinged or whatever deserved to live in that fear. If you want safe and coddled, go to Disney (or worse, Times Square).

Make NY Hostile Again

E: the fighting mascots can absolutely stay. In fact can we get Mr. Met to throw down on bootleg Elmo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDfL1ck8-WU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Colma, CA. Nothing but graveyards and auto dealerships as far as the eye can see. It's not at all pedestrian friendly but it doesn't matter cause there's nothing to get to in walking distance anyway.

naem
May 29, 2011

JnnyThndrs posted:

I lived in sf for 11 years, they poo poo in the street there

my progressive politics were challenged at times by the local homeless population’s behavior

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Private Cumshoe posted:

Shinnecock is a way cooler name than Hamptons

sounds like a victorian english game that, well, you basically ram your shins into eachothers cocks until someone submits. Betting is legal but has to be done in peat.

Orlando just sucks.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Baltimore is actually cool when you aren't getting robbed and/or shot.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Baltimore is actually cool when you aren't getting robbed and/or shot.

I feel this. Also the open air drug markets are pretty handy in a pinch.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ManBoyChef posted:

sounds like a victorian english game that, well, you basically ram your shins into eachothers cocks until someone submits. Betting is legal but has to be done in peat.

it is not. It translates kinda to people of the stony shore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinnecock_Indian_Nation

quote:

In 2005 the nation filed a land claim against New York seeking the return of 3,500 acres (14 km²) in Southampton located near the tribe's reservation, and billions of dollars in reparations for damages suffered by colonial land grabs. The disputed property is worth $1 billion and includes the Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, which Shinnecock say is the location of traditional tribal burial grounds.

The tribe's lawsuit challenged the state legislature's approval of an 1859 sale of the 3500 acres of tribal land to non-native persons. This broke the terms of a 1,000-year-lease signed in 1703 by Southampton colonial officials and the tribe. The suit charges that in 1859, a group of powerful New York investors conspired to break the lease by sending the state Legislature a fraudulent petition supporting the sale, which was purported to be from a number of Shinnecock tribal members. Although other tribal members immediately protested that the petition was a forgery, the Legislature approved the sale of 3,500 acres (14 km²) of tribal land.

Once again, give the Hamptons back to the Shinnecock.

Long Island has some monstrously hosed up history

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

whos that broooown posted:

Also, Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania is the correct answer to this thread.

Pittsburgh is a really incredible city and I love living here. It's a relatively small city so it's jam packed with stuff, there's really no end of things to do. If you go just a few miles outside of downtown you also get one of the best amusement parks in the world, a ton of museums, a zoo, aviary, and conservatory and some of the best variety of food in the US.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

teen witch posted:

Legend has it that the Shinnecock placed a curse on Long Island, so that any white person living upon it becomes just the worst kind of douchebag.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Legend has it that the Shinnecock placed a curse on Long Island, so that any white person living upon it becomes just the worst kind of douchebag.

I’m living proof

(Ok, like, sorta. Yes, but)

It’s also not just the Shinnecock on the island!

https://www.jeremynative.com/onthissite/wiki/the-tribes-of-long-island/

More tribes on the island than counties. And yet I can instinctively know when I go from Suffolk to Nassau, but what tribal lands I was technically raised on? Mere guesses.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Gdi awful app

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

teen witch posted:

it is not. It translates kinda to people of the stony shore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinnecock_Indian_Nation

Once again, give the Hamptons back to the Shinnecock.

indeed that is incredibly messed up. It is honestly just one of the many horrors of the genocide of the native americans....of both americas. Whenever I hear someone claiming that they are angry at people at the border taking people's jobs. The thoughts of the trail of tears as well as so many broken treaties just of the the US come to my mind and I immediately become enraged at how pitiful US schools are at teaching the magnitude of how devastating white immigration was to the native people.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

A Fancy Hat posted:

Pittsburgh is a really incredible city and I love living here. It's a relatively small city so it's jam packed with stuff, there's really no end of things to do. If you go just a few miles outside of downtown you also get one of the best amusement parks in the world, a ton of museums, a zoo, aviary, and conservatory and some of the best variety of food in the US.

are you referring to kennywood? that place is legit.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Buce posted:

the forgotten corners of the Nostalgia For Infinity

reading the Inhibitor Trilogy right now!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Everyone hates Munich but it's p comfortable all things considered

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

naem posted:

I lived in sf for 11 years, they poo poo in the street there

my progressive politics were challenged at times by the local homeless population’s behavior

I know they do, but it's not a new thing, I watched a bum paint a brick wall with lumpy rear end-water in 1981 when I was a kid wandering around SOMA, back when it was legitimately scary after dark. There's just a helluva lot more to SF than the areas where Rue Defecation is common, but you'd never know it by listening to these assholes.

And I hear you about the progressive politics thing vs. homeless behavior - Ms. Thndrs and I have the same conversation all the time.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I lived and worked in Uganda for a year in ~'05 and at that point the british foreign office and multiple other state departments expressly advised against all but essential travel there. I was working on a database for collating landmine/uxo info.

Every bit of media coverage of the country made it seem like Joseph Kony himself would kill and rape you as you walked out of the airport.

Uganda is lovely. Very friendly and gregarious people and an absolutely stunningly beautiful place. Standard caveats for being careful about food sanitation and malaria risk aside, it was a cool place to live.

One of my favourite parts was the big market downtown and chilling with the mechanics in the the bicycle yard nearby. We built a decent mountain bike out of a bunch of second hand parts and I would hoon around Kampala on the weekend and do jumps off the giant speed bumps that function as the primary traffic calming measure.

A white man riding a bicycle through Kampala traffic was so novel that some Ugandans would introduce themselves in bars and ask me about it like I was a local celebrity.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

New Zealand can eat me posted:

downtown Portland, OR*

*not in a tent

Spent a week hanging out in downtown and it suuuuucked. Maybe I just couldn’t find the fun stuff to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

ManBoyChef posted:

are you referring to kennywood? that place is legit.

Yes. Absolutely incredible theme park, where else can you ride a roller coaster that's over 100 years old, then hop over to one of the tallest steel coasters in the world?