Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Problem description: When using peer to peer clients, specifically I'm using Deluge, my download speed is in a constant fluctuation that doesn't seem normal. Sometimes even stopping entirely. I took some screenshots of my traffic monitor of my router, these are probably 10 minutes of length each picture. I have fiber internet.

In this pic, the spot where it peaks to 35mb down in the middle of where it looks like it's stopped entirely is me doing an internet speed test, just to show I'm not actually losing internet connection or anything.

This is what it looks like when I download a 10gb game from Steam:

Attempted fixes:
I've tried multiple hard drives, issue happens on all of them.
Happens from multiple sources.
I've tried multiple peer to peer clients, issue happens on all of them.
I've tried adjusting some settings within Deluge like limiting the amount of connections and download speeds.
I've done the standard stuff like resetting the router and modem.
Issue happens on two different routers.

It's been happening for a couple of years at least, pretty sure on two different internet providers. I came to the conclusion that maybe it was my 7-8 year old Netgear router not being able to handle the fiber internet correctly. So I got a ASUS ROG Strix AX5400 router a few days ago and still having the same issues. I've done a lot of searching on the internet trying to find a solution. I see people who seem to have similar issues but they either never found a solution or their solution didn't help me.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro
System Specs
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16gb Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
ASUS ROG Strix AX5400 router
ASRock Z370M Pro4 LGA 1151 motherboard

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bonus question assuming there is a solution to this, would there be any real reason to keep the new router? My old one worked just fine and considering this issue doesn't seem to be specific to that router I'd rather have that money back I spent on the ASUS router.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Try using a different torrent client like qbittorrent to narrow down the problem. If not that I'd suspect the modem. edit: ok you already tested the different clients, nm about that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Yea I've tried qbittorrent and had the same issue.

I honestly don't know much about this and I can't rule out the modem being an issue, but that's kind of why I posted the pic of how it performs/behaves when downloading something from steam. Never any issues elsewhere.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Make sure W10 is fully updated.
-Make sure you're on the latest router firmware.
-Verify you're on the latest NIC drivers.

BTW is this wired or wireless? If wireless, I'd definitely try wired as a test.

Some ISPs in some areas also do intermittent traffic shaping/throttling on P2P stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if that was an issue.

If none of that helps I'd try running the P2P software from within a Windows Sandbox or https://sandboxie-plus.com/ and see if it behaves differently.

katkillad2 posted:

Bonus question assuming there is a solution to this, would there be any real reason to keep the new router? My old one worked just fine and considering this issue doesn't seem to be specific to that router I'd rather have that money back I spent on the ASUS router.

I'd bet the newer router has more robust capabilities to allow more devices to work concurrently but it's probably not an absolute necessity to keep it. We'd need to know the exact model of the older router.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Try dialing down the number of connections the software is allowed to make. Sometimes if you are making a ton, your ISP might throttle you that way, which produces a result that looks very much like this.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I appreciate the help and suggestions!

Zogo posted:

-Make sure W10 is fully updated.
-Make sure you're on the latest router firmware.
-Verify you're on the latest NIC drivers.

BTW is this wired or wireless? If wireless, I'd definitely try wired as a test.

Some ISPs in some areas also do intermittent traffic shaping/throttling on P2P stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if that was an issue.

If none of that helps I'd try running the P2P software from within a Windows Sandbox or https://sandboxie-plus.com/ and see if it behaves differently.

I'd bet the newer router has more robust capabilities to allow more devices to work concurrently but it's probably not an absolute necessity to keep it. We'd need to know the exact model of the older router.

I've never updated NIC drivers, but all other firmware was updated. This connection is wired. With the NIC Driver is there anything within that I should change or is the default ok? And the old router was a Netgear RangeMax WNR3500L Wireless-N Gigabit Router https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netgear_WNR3500L I'll try to do some more tests with this updated driver and if it doesn't work I'll try the sandboxie-plus.

K8.0 posted:

Try dialing down the number of connections the software is allowed to make. Sometimes if you are making a ton, your ISP might throttle you that way, which produces a result that looks very much like this.

Yea I've tried limiting it to like 10-50 connections and it didn't seem to make much of a difference :negative:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

With the NIC Driver is there anything within that I should change or is the default ok?

The default is usually okay.

katkillad2 posted:

And the old router was a Netgear RangeMax WNR3500L Wireless-N Gigabit Router https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netgear_WNR3500L

The newer one has better security and higher capabilities in a bunch of ways. If you're using WiFi heavily or anticipate needing to accommodate a lot of WiFi users at times then I'd say to keep the new router going forward. Otherwise, the older one could function for the time being. The bottleneck is usually the ISP itself.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

NIC driver update didn't make a difference, I'll try Sandboxie next. Is it safe to assume if that doesn't work as well this is my ISP throttling? Is there any way to know that for sure? I see people mention using vpn's to get around that. I'm not going to pay a monthly fee just for something like this as it's mostly just an annoyance, but honestly I'd consider it for a month just to see if that is truly the issue.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

NIC driver update didn't make a difference, I'll try Sandboxie next. Is it safe to assume if that doesn't work as well this is my ISP throttling? Is there any way to know that for sure? I see people mention using vpn's to get around that. I'm not going to pay a monthly fee just for something like this as it's mostly just an annoyance, but honestly I'd consider it for a month just to see if that is truly the issue.

ISP throttling would be a good bet. Trying another machine on the network would be a way to narrow it down more. If another machine exhibited the same problem then you could try another modem as was mentioned earlier. What's the modem motel?

Yeah, a VPN that allows P2P connections could circumvent the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I think I finally solved this.

I switched torrent clients once again and noticed a message at the bottom saying "disk overload 100%". Started doing some searches in regards to this.

I started following the advice here: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/utorrent-disk-overloaded.html

Though still didn't work, ran across one more suggestion from reddit saying to change the automatic cache size to 1800mb and that seems to have fixed it :woop:

Just leaving this here in case anyone else has this issue, literal years of frustration with this.

Edit: Well this worked in utorrent, but then the client becomes incredibly unstable.

Tried to make same/similar changes in Deluge and doesn't seem to work :negative:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 13, 2023