Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Have you guys heard about this? Apparently the publisher Puffin has hired sensitivity readers to rewrite chunks of the author’s text to make sure the books “can continue to be enjoyed by all today”, resulting in extensive changes across Dahl’s work.

Edits have been made to descriptions of characters’ physical appearances. The word “fat” has been cut from every new edition of relevant books, while the word “ugly” has also been culled

Unsurprisingly there's been some backlash, with one of the key issues relating to whether it's acceptable to retroactively change an author's words, with some even calling it outright censorship. What are your guys thoughts?

My thoughts are that this is overblown and not a really big deal. Also, I think CaptainSarcastic is the best mod and I fully support him and his excellent modding.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

no 1 curr

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Blizzard Bastard.

EDIT: I mean Wizard Master.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

No I did not hear about this Cameronisgod

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Mark Twain's works are being re-released in a new "Nothing But The N-Words" edition

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
while we're at it, I've always felt "Roald Dahl" was a little too foreign sounding for my tastes. maybe we could change it to, say, "Rod Dole?"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wow, that's really weak bait.

I give this thread 1/10 Wizard Masters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thank you for this update Wizard Master

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

James and the Giant Peach Emoji

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Charlie and the Ate rear end Elevator

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Are they going to start changing plots as well? Is calling people gypsies and stealing pheasants and children driving cars in "Danny The Champion of the World" going to be outlawed?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

what about the nuclear bomb? how are we going to defuse the nuclear bomb now???

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Helen Bannerman better watch out

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

who gives a poo poo lmao

"someones making more books... BUT THEY'RE MAKING THEM WRONG!!!!"

theres probably more roald dahl books than the population of britain before this so just buy one of those instead.

idk why a non brit would want to read roald dahl but ok just buy one of the books from some kid that prefers to play "mind craft" and "let go bile nickel"

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 19, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

id pay for a version of the harry potter books if the text was retroactively changed to make it clear which wizards are making GBS threads their pants and when. bonus points if u go into detail with the excrement

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well, Penguin and Netflix already have to deal with the fact that Dahl was a total anti-Semite. The guy hated Jews with a passion.

quote:

During his lifetime, Dahl made openly anti-Semitic remarks on a number of occasions.

In a review of a book about the Lebanon War that appeared in the August 1983 edition of the British periodical Literary Review, Dahl wrote, in reference to Jewish people, “Never before in the history of man has a race of people switched so rapidly from being much-pitied victims to barbarous murderers.”

He also made reference to “those powerful American Jewish bankers” and asserted that the United States government was “utterly dominated by the great Jewish financial institutions over there.”

Later that same year, he doubled down on his statements in an interview with the British magazine New Statesman. “There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it’s a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews,” he said. “I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason.”

A few months before his death in 1990, Dahl stated outright that he was anti-Semitic in an interview with The Independent.

After claiming that Israel’s 1982 invasion of Lebanon was “hushed up in the newspapers because they are primarily Jewish-owned,” he went on to say, “I’m certainly anti-Israeli and I’ve become anti-Semitic in as much as that you get a Jewish person in another country like England strongly supporting Zionism. I think they should see both sides. It’s the same old thing: we all know about Jews and the rest of it. There aren’t any non-Jewish publishers anywhere, they control the media—jolly clever thing to do—that’s why the president of the United States has to sell all this stuff to Israel.”

Of course, akin to Henry Ford, his descendants are embarrassed and 100% apologetic about it and have to grapple with that aspect of his legacy.

quote:

It was those sorts of statements that caused the U.K.'s Royal Mint to nix a proposed Dahl coin in 2014 ahead of the 100th anniversary of Dahl's birth. He was "associated with antisemitism and not regarded as an author of the highest reputation," read the minutes of a commemorative coin subcommittee, The Guardian reported.

Yet even some prominent Jewish voices couldn't resist the allure of Dahl's stories. "I've always adored Roald Dahl's books," Karen Pollock, chief executive of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said on Twitter. "I've known about his antisemitism, but to even point it out often felt like sacrilege towards one of the most popular authors of all time."

Separating the art from the artist(s) is going to be even more significant as the centuries roll on.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

remember when ronald dahl did disco demolition on the radio in chiacgo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Agent Escalus posted:

Well, Penguin and Netflix already have to deal with the fact that Dahl was a total anti-Semite. The guy hated Jews with a passion.

Of course, akin to Henry Ford, his descendants are embarrassed and 100% apologetic about it and have to grapple with that aspect of his legacy.

Separating the art from the artist(s) is going to be even more significant as the centuries roll on.

Wow this guy woke up on the wrong side of the bed!!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe they should give him a better name while they’re at it

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

what’s up with that Roald Dahl book where the guy tries to steal all the worlds semen or whatever

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe we can use this and the Dr Seuss thing from awhile back to goad the Republicans into reverting copyright back to what it was in the early 70s.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
roald dahl wrote the most racist james bond movie

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All I want for Christmas is someone to destroy Wizard Master's computer with a hammer.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'll just stick to my original copy of James and the Giant Bitch, thanks.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

MrQwerty posted:

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You're really on a roll, huh Chief?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Books are for nerds and little kids who are so lame their parents won't buy them video games.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Books are for nerds and little kids who are so lame their parents won't buy them video games.

:haibrow:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I found a couple choose your own adventure books at a used book place so I picked em up for a coworkers 8 year old kid. They got me really into reading so I thought maybe it'd do the same.

She said she had to force him to read one and he was really exasperated about it then a few minutes later came sprinting out to the living room yelling MOM I GET TO DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

:sparkles:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Beeftweeter posted:

roald dahl wrote the most racist james bond movie

He was also the basis for the character.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Agent Escalus posted:

Those people are fuckin dead and you can just use your own brain to separate art from the artist, hth

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

can't believe a man born 115 years ago was an anti semite, thats crazy

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm boycotting the Matilda Legacy video game.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

James and the giant woke peach

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’d be okay if that Johnny Depp/Tim Burton Willy Wonka movie was erased from history permanently. What a fuckin’ dumb butt movie.

And give us back a youthful Gene Wilder, while we’re at it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

I’d be okay if that Johnny Depp/Tim Burton Willy Wonka movie was erased from history permanently. What a fuckin’ dumb butt movie.

And give us back a youthful Gene Wilder, while we’re at it.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I was reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator to my kid a few years ago and kinda gave up because there was a part early on with a bunch of racist Chinese caricatures and all the lame rear end jokes that go along with making fun of Chinese names. I read it as a kid and didn’t remember any of that. If someone had edited that poo poo out at some point I would never have known it was missing and it would probably be a better book.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Rhoald Dahl took his shot and he missed it. Straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
i hope someone renames howard's cat