Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Those people are fuckin dead and you can just use your own brain to separate art from the artist, hth

^^ this

which ain't the case for a certain other popular media franchise that i could name

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Colonel Cancer posted:

i hope someone renames howard's cat

You mean Lovecraft's cat?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just change his stupid name to Ronald, like I always misremember it. It's not like he's the one even writing it anymore.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Does anyone know if finger guns was a thing Ronald Dahl would have known?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

does anyone know raold's opinion on trans issues

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i only read one book that's been habitually rewritten

the bible.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yo, now I was downtown clubbin', ladies night
Seen shorty she was crazy right
And I approached baby like, "Ma, what's your age and type?"
She looked at me and said, "You's a baby right?"
I told her, I'm eighteen and live a crazy life
Plus I'll tell you what the eighties like
And I know what the ladies like
Need a man that's polite, listens, and takes advice
I could be all three, plus I can lay the pipe
Come wit' me, come stay the night
She looked at me laughin', like boy your game is tight
I'm laughin' back like sho' ya right, get in the car
And don't touch nothin', sit in the car
Let's discuss somethin'
Either we lovin' or I'll see you tomorrow
Now we speeding up the Westside
Hand creepin' up her left side, I'm ready to do it
Ready to bone, ready for dome
55th exit, drat, drat, already we home
Now let's get it on

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Won't kids just tell some chat GPT to tell them a story in a few years anyway?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
James and the Giant Peach was actually a euphemism for eating rear end. Dahl wasn't a fan, but was attempting to pander.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ralph Hurley posted:

I was reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator to my kid a few years ago and kinda gave up because there was a part early on with a bunch of racist Chinese caricatures and all the lame rear end jokes that go along with making fun of Chinese names. I read it as a kid and didn’t remember any of that. If someone had edited that poo poo out at some point I would never have known it was missing and it would probably be a better book.

same. Didn't make it far in that book. Definitely not his strongest work.

I don't get the proposed edits. Why replace a reference to Joseph Conrad and Rudyard Kipling??

read matilda to my kid just the other week. Good stuff

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

same. Didn't make it far in that book. Definitely not his strongest work.

I don't get the proposed edits. Why replace a reference to Joseph Conrad and Rudyard Kipling??

read matilda to my kid just the other week. Good stuff

People still know who Jane Austen and Ernest Hemingway are, unlike Conrad and Kipling.

Unfortunately.

When all literature is blotted from our minds only then may we be free.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Maybe fat shaming is a bad thing and including it in otherwise great books is lame.

Who can really say?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its funny to have the writing of some random mook at a publisher forced into iconic and famous books from the past. Like who is writing these new lines?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

There were a few gratuitously sexist and nasty descriptions of Matilda's mom that i glossed over when reading it to my 8 year old.

syntaxfunction posted:

People still know who Jane Austen and Ernest Hemingway are, unlike Conrad and Kipling.

Unfortunately.

When all literature is blotted from our minds only then may we be free.

They should probably replace author names with those of popular influencers

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

James and the Star Bellied Sneetch

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Seth why do you and the other GBS mods keep pet idiots like Wizard Master and that nom epique imbecile around despite everyone hating them and their idiocy dragging everyone else down by many, many IQ points?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
🅱️old 🅱️all

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Seth why do you and the other GBS mods keep pet idiots like Wizard Master and that nom epique imbecile around despite everyone hating them and their idiocy dragging everyone else down by many, many IQ points?

whiff whiff whiff

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm pissed as hell that they rewrote the part where Charlie called willy Wonka a "big ole gay faglord"

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

kntfkr posted:

whiff whiff whiff

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

the custom title didn't give it away? maybe you are on the android app it doesn't render those well i agree.

its not a bad thing that you get made fun of for serious posting into a known troll thread every time it pops up

edit: look what you made me do

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Charlie and the Ate rear end Elevator

:lmao:

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Dude wrote a whole entire book about how fat, ugly people are fat and ugly because they are stupid and mean.The Twits? More like the twats imo

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:emptyquote:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
it's a shame they're robbing children of the vocabulary to colorfully describe the obese

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lmao

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

whiff whiff whiff

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

We do it as a personal affront to you, obviously. What else could possibly explain it?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
When he was a kid, my dad had a copy of Dahl's book, "The Gremlins". He loved the story, about a WWII pilot and the gremlins who constantly work to damage planes, and later became a pilot himself. (He got his private pilot's license before his driver's license, and later became a pilot for the Air Force.)

He lamented the fact that the book disappeared at some point. When the reprint came out in 2006, I got him a copy. He loved it, and actually started to cry as he leafed through the pages. When my brother went through his house after he had to enter care for his Alzheimer's, my brother reported the book was on top of a stack next to his bed. It was likely the last thing he read before his mind went.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 19, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Roald Dahl wrote the bond movie with yellow face

So I'm sure his opinions on contemporary forward thinking is right on the money

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Now lets destroy Beatrix Potter

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Beatrix Got 'er

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

:gas:

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
It's been a long time since I last watched The Witches, but didn't they wear gloves to cover up their claw hands?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The are more examples

2001 edition: "what in tarnation, was this letter written by a complete moron?"

2023 edition: "what the gently caress, was this posted by wizard master?'

---

2001 edition: "you really made an rear end of yourself"

2023 edition: "you pulled a real wizard master"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Stfu

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
How Wizard Master hasn't been snapped up by Cracked or ScreenRant is a mystery to me.

Anyway they presumably removed Conrad and Kipling because they also were racist as all get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ralph Hurley posted:

I was reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator to my kid a few years ago and kinda gave up because there was a part early on with a bunch of racist Chinese caricatures and all the lame rear end jokes that go along with making fun of Chinese names. I read it as a kid and didn’t remember any of that. If someone had edited that poo poo out at some point I would never have known it was missing and it would probably be a better book.