Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Good call picking up on and posting about this,

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

I see that it's true, very sadly. :/

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

gently caress all the politically correct, excusers of cancel culture and deniers of its existence HARD, in the rear end, with a HUGE traditionally manly COCK.

May they all either suffer the typical fate of villains in Dahl's works, or realise the error of their ways and stop the bullshit bowdlerizing censorship and banning of non-PC artworks that makes the Left look like loving Newspeak morons (we ain't all that way ).

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I can't wait to read impassioned defenses of Columbus in this here boomer thread

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Just read your kid a different book.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I've never even heard of Roald Dahl before, is he a painter?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've never even heard of Roald Dahl before, is he a painter?

I believe he was famous for making really yummy sandwiches back in the 60's and 70's. Like I don't know why you would want to make changes to his sandwhiches, most of them would of been eaten like within minutes of him making them. Any that weren't would be super moldy now. Dunno, people are weird I guess. I wouldn't worry about.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Let's rewrite some Lovecraft while we're at it!

Lovecraft posted:

New kinds of faces appeared in the Street, swarthy, sinister faces with furtive eyes and odd features, whose owners spoke unfamiliar words and placed signs in known and unknown characters upon most of the musty houses.

Lovecraft 2k23 posted:

I can't read and only know the one language.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know what he had to say about small people.

Gimli rear end motherfuckers.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gas thread

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also ban OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BigBadSteve posted:

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

gently caress all the politically correct, excusers of cancel culture and deniers of its existence HARD, in the rear end, with a HUGE traditionally manly COCK.

May they all either suffer the typical fate of villains in Dahl's works, or realise the error of their ways and stop the bullshit bowdlerizing censorship and banning of non-PC artworks that makes the Left look like loving Newspeak morons (we ain't all that way ).

One of the worst rap sheets I've ever looked at in my life

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Das Boo posted:

Lmao I read The Street for the first time recently and man that story is a doozy of lovecraftian racism

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Anyway they presumably removed Conrad and Kipling because they also were racist as all get out.
Looks like Matilda's reading list just got a lot shorter..
More "woke" if you will

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus writes the books

Roald Dahl just changes the font.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

J.K. Rowling is fatshaming the Dursleys.

There, I killed the thread. You can gas it now.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think you can both not edit media because the sensibility they were written in is no longer suitable for modern consumption, and simply not condone the purchase or consumption of that media because of the same reasons.

I don't really think it's necessary to edit media when there is so much other media that can satisfy someone's requirements. Also because if we're editing media for things that are an affront to our tastes I'm gonna want a wholesale ban on the Sonic franchise and the things it has resulted in before some nerd books for lovely kids tbh.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
edit: nevermind

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

J.K. Rowling is fatshaming the Dursleys.

There, I killed the thread. You can gas it now.

Gregs and Digestives are at war with Liverpool FC and Waitrose

The prize: A Gold Granville from Open all Hours

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's amazing that despite writing her with such contempt, Rowling is basically Aunt Petunia - a nasty middle class curtain twitcher who can't stand the idea of those people doing that sort of thing gosh this used to be a decent neighborhood

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You're a wizard master,harry

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Das Boo posted:

As a proud owner of a sinister face with furtive eyes and odd features I would like to keep that in.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Glad someone is stepping up to protect the legacy of wealthy white men and their decedents riding those checks for generations to come.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

probably not a good idea for publishers to rewrite books

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

probably not a good idea for publishers to rewrite books

yeah thats the editor's job

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"Roald Dahl just would not stop raping minstrels, yes those kind." - Informant

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
This is twits ERASURE

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Genesplicer posted:

When he was a kid, my dad had a copy of Dahl's book, "The Gremlins". He loved the story, about a WWII pilot and the gremlins who constantly work to damage planes, and later became a pilot himself. (He got his private pilot's license before his driver's license, and later became a pilot for the Air Force.)

He lamented the fact that the book disappeared at some point. When the reprint came out in 2006, I got him a copy. He loved it, and actually started to cry as he leafed through the pages. When my brother went through his house after he had to enter care for his Alzheimer's, my brother reported the book was on top of a stack next to his bed. It was likely the last thing he read before his mind went.

thank u for choosing to share that

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Kinda lovely of them to change the books to be honest.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

sieve jorbs posted:

Glad someone is stepping up to protect the legacy of wealthy white men and their decedents riding those checks for generations to come.

yeah it's this

the actual leftist position is that private ownership of intellectual property should be abolished, and that the education necessary to effectively criticize art should be free to all

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's plenty of kids literature not written by racist crackers, just put it on a shelf somewhere in the library and forget about it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

olives black posted:

yeah it's this

the actual leftist position is that private ownership of intellectual property should be abolished, and that the education necessary to effectively criticize art should be free to all

Your post is now my intellectual property.

Also, I am sorely tempted to probe you for speaking in absolute terms about "actual leftist" positions.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Your post is now my intellectual property.

Also, I am sorely tempted to probe you for speaking in absolute terms about "actual leftist" positions.

The An actual leftist position

Happy?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tnuctip posted:

Kinda lovely of them to change the books to be honest.

Post edited for 2023 audiences: Kinda awesome of them to change the books to be honest.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Let's edit all of Hitler's books and make them nice

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

olives black posted:

The An actual leftist position

Happy?

Happy? No. Temporarily mollified? Yes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm what people call the fascist left. In that I'm fascist, but only on my left side. I had a stroke so my left side doesn't feel anything, and that includes empathy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm what people call the fascist left. In that I'm fascist, but only on my left side. I had a stroke so my left side doesn't feel anything, and that includes empathy.

One weird trick libs HATE

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

MrQwerty posted:

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

I like how he copied the three quotes twice because he couldn't find six examples.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

BigBadSteve posted:

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

Publishers are going to sell more copies of the old book and the new book. The Roald Dahl estate will be pretty happy.

drat those left wing

W I Z A R D M A S T E R S
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R
S

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Ralph Hurley posted:

I was reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator to my kid a few years ago and kinda gave up because there was a part early on with a bunch of racist Chinese caricatures and all the lame rear end jokes that go along with making fun of Chinese names. I read it as a kid and didn’t remember any of that. If someone had edited that poo poo out at some point I would never have known it was missing and it would probably be a better book.

wow look at this Lebron-esque BOWING down to china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

"SJWs dont exist! go outside!"

:downsbravo: