Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Problem description: I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 via Window System Update yesterday, and everything seemed to go fine, except when I found that none of my programs that I use to remote into my PC from my phone worked anymore. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why this was, and I finally realized that Windows Defender Firewall isn't working at all anymore. Depending upon where I try to look at Windows Defender Firewall's settings to toggle it off and on again, I'll get errors like, "A system shutdown is in progress," or "Windows Defender Firewall can't change some of your settings," and error 0x6D9. If I go into the Services tab of the Task Manager, mpssvc, the Firewall service, is also constantly flickering between Running and Stopped, and I can't do anything to make it stay in one state or the other.

Attempted fixes: I've tried restarting Windows in Safe Mode, but that didn't fix anything, and I wasn't even able to get an internet connection, even booting Safe Mode with networking. I tried at least one tool downloaded from the internet to run a fix on Firewall specifically, but it didn't work. I went into the Microsoft Store to try to redownload Firewall, but it told me that there was an error even there. Installing a third-party firewall didn't work, either; weirdly, it gave me the error, "Hit retry to get the app: your device restarted while the app was downloading." It then gives me either Code: 0x8007045B or Code: 0x800706D9.

I was able to temporarily fix it after doing a full in-place system repair with the official Windows 11 .iso from Microsoft, but it broke itself again after restarting the machine, giving me the same errors. That's the only thing I've done that seemed to even remotely work in some capacity, and it stopped as soon as the machine needed to be restarted a single time.

Recent changes: Other than the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, nothing that I can think of.

Operating system: Windows 11 Professional, formerly Windows 10 Professional. 64-bit.

System specs: Ryzen 7 5800X; Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB; Asus PRIME B550M-A (wi-fi) motherboard; 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM; Samsung 1TB SSD (Windows OS drive); Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W power supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thank you in advance!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try basic things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLrUUQBW600

There are a decent amount of YouTube videos regarding error 0x6D9 with detailed steps you could try. But since you did a system repair already it might not help.

You may get to the point where rolling back to W10 temporarily makes more sense. And then at a later point doing a completely new W11 install.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

You could try basic things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLrUUQBW600

There are a decent amount of YouTube videos regarding error 0x6D9 with detailed steps you could try. But since you did a system repair already it might not help.

You may get to the point where rolling back to W10 temporarily makes more sense. And then at a later point doing a completely new W11 install.

Yeah, I was going to try to roll back to Windows 10, but when I went to do it, it said that the required files were missing, even though they were right where they were supposed to be. Can I use a Windows 10 .iso to install Windows 10 over Windows 11 without losing any data? Otherwise I may end up backing up what I can and purging it.

I'll have to look at that YouTube video, and I appreciate the help.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

pedrovay2003 posted:

Can I use a Windows 10 .iso to install Windows 10 over Windows 11 without losing any data?

I don't think that can be done without losing the data. Even if it could I'd probably avoid trying it if you weren't able to roll back at all. Something seems very wrong with the OS install.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

I don't think that can be done without losing the data. Even if it could I'd probably avoid trying it if you weren't able to roll back at all. Something seems very wrong with the OS install.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I have an extra SSD I can back things up to tomorrow, maybe I'll do that and try a clean install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
An update: I just ended up doing a clean install of Windows 11, and everything works perfectly now. I have no idea what that 10 to 11 upgrade did, but it wasn't fun.