Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

syntaxfunction posted:

As a non-American I have seen no end to the evidence on display that every single state in the USA believes itself a country unto itself. The fact that apparently states can just up and make laws that disagree with everyone else, just fucken because, is a good example. Oh, you aren't meant to beat people to death? gently caress you, we (Texas probably) have passed a law saying it's okay.

Oh, alcohol is legal? Not in this state buddy! Oh, even if it is this specific county is gonna say "gently caress you" and say it's illegal now.

Libertarians aren't that weird, they're just honest about the fact that they're doing what every single step in the American governing system is already doing. That is, I do what I want and no one else tells me what to do.

I don’t think most states think of themselves as countries. Probably would be more specific to geographic regions but even that varies significantly between urban and rural areas

Also America has 350 million people. It wouldn’t really make sense to have the same laws everywhere. There are dry counties (can’t buy alcohol) in my state but the entire county has a population of like 10k in a state of 10 million so it’s not going to affect anyone who doesn’t live in that county, which they voted for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU