Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

In the past I was kinda against the idea of internet media giants like YouTube getting away with moderating their content with the excuse “there’s too much content, but we try to filter it with algorithms”, all the while people getting annoyed with BS copyright claims that are nearly impossible to successfully appeal, and by the time you do, your content no longer has the limelight.

But now I’m thinking we should just wait a bit, because maybe there could be AI moderation that does good as a job as any person would, and enough of it where it’s almost like there are as many moderators as there is users on the platform. And it wouldn’t be like those crappy algorithms, but living, breathing AIs with a conscience, and you could pet the AI and it would wag its tail and smile. And then if you still disagree with its decision, an actual person could look at it to determine if the AI made a mistake.

I doubt this legal battle’s outcome will suddenly change the internet’s enforced laws, but if it does, it will be catastrophic, and we’ll suddenly realize how good we had it when we used to watch hundreds upon hundreds of videos about old video games no one knows about, and we’ll now have to resort again to our television programs, just like the old days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Looking into it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The entire crux of the court case is that the algorithm itself is a form of content in that it builds a catalog of videos for a user to watch that otherwise wouldn't exist, thus making Youtube party to serving illegal/dangerous content to people who then go on to commit crimes. If they just dropped their attempts to manipulate what videos people see, they'd probably be off the hook, but that's never going to happen because the algorithm is pretty much the foundation of what makes them so much money.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Suction 230 of deez nuts

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Suction 230 of deez nuts

that doesn't make sense

i still love u

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Remember SOPA lol

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
It’s gonna rule when the olds in SCOTUS repeal section 230 and the entirety of social media sites immediately plunge into darkness and/or relocate outside of US jurisdiction.

IIRC Jeffrey said he would consider moving the SA servers outside the US if it gets repealed just to keep overzealous lawsuits away (probe me if it’s not true Jeffrey u coward).

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm challenging you to a FOOT RACE op

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Good Sphere posted:

And it wouldn’t be like those crappy algorithms, but living, breathing AIs with a conscience, and you could pet the AI and it would wag its tail and smile. And then if you still disagree with its decision, an actual person could look at it to determine if the AI made a mistake.
wow, so you think the AIs should be second class citizens? wow.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like artificial WINtelligence

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Cubone posted:

wow, so you think the AIs should be second class citizens? wow.

Only until we are okay with the AIs confining us to a playpen, while they take control of everything else.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm gonna get rid of most existing laws in 2025 OP.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

AI pictures are poo poo, AI writing is poo poo, and AI moderation would also be poo poo.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I love Youtube and SA but if they end social media I'll be sad for a while but it'll be for the best.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The last four seasons of the simpsons were written by AI.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I showed the supreme court this forum and they're looking into everything they can do to get rid of it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Tarkus posted:

I love Youtube and SA but if they end social media I'll be sad for a while but it'll be for the best.

They won’t even notice SA is there, so don’t worry, it’ll survive unscathed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

funeral home DJ posted:

IIRC Jeffrey said he would consider moving the SA servers outside the US if it gets repealed just to keep overzealous lawsuits away (probe me if it’s not true Jeffrey u coward).

This sounds stupid at first blush and then I remember the dumb poo poo this site has attracted and/or created.

It's a smart move.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If only it were possible to stick it to the marketers and their "curated content" cesspool without repealing the entire thing. If only.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Shinjobi posted:

This sounds stupid at first blush and then I remember the dumb poo poo this site has attracted and/or created.

It's a smart move.

Yeah, remember that idiot who tried to sue the forum because the posters didn't like him and other nonsense?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Good point.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't find it in my heart to read the op and i feel bad about it. It isn't even that long

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Icochet posted:

I couldn't find it in my heart to read the op and i feel bad about it. It isn't even that long

:same:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Replace congress with algorithms.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It should be legal to hunt online influencers for sport

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Extra Large Marge posted:

It should be legal to hunt online influencers for sport

I would love to hunt the Paul brothers.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

AI pictures are poo poo, AI writing is poo poo, and AI moderation would also be poo poo.

This

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I have put much thought into the issue, and have come to the conclusion that op should suck my entire cock

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

EorayMel posted:

Remember SOPA lol

no, but I remember sailor

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Whatever kills internet or at least social media is something worth supporting out of principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

BigBadSteve posted:

So it'll be a step-up :madmax: