Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

“Wikipedia defines Wild Hearts as” posted:

Wild Hearts is an action role-playing video game developed by Omega Force and published by Electronic Arts under its EA Originals label. The game tasks the player to hunt massive monsters in Azuma, a fantasy world inspired by feudal Japan. The game was released on February 17, 2023, for PlayStation 5, Windows, and Xbox Series X/S.

Fight Monsters
Build Ziplines
Upgrade your gear and weapons

Effort to come later…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Saved for later.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm having a lot of fun with this game as someone using the Maul and the laser gun hand cannon. I can't deny that the kodachi and the karakuri staff have some incredible-looking finishers though.

Someone tell me how on earth you're supposed to use the stake basic karakuri though. I get it's use for climbing walls, but in fights it sometimes launches you to the kemono if it connects? Can't I just use a springboard for this? What on earth.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Game's good, hopefully the performance issues will be fixed soon if not by today's patch. There's a lot of stuff that is not well or at all explained in the game. Nodachi rules and gritdog is the best monster.

A couple quick tips that are not immediately obvious unless you try them:
-Dragon karakuri (the non-combat buildings) don't cost anything to make, they are limited by your dragon pool capacity for their element, so you can make and remove them as needed. The tent is particularly important as it is your fast travel point. In designated camp locations it is dirt cheap, but you can also put one or two out in the field at convenient locations like crossroads between arenas.
-Don't worry about dragon karakuri getting destroyed by monsters, they'll automatically rebuild when the monster is dead or away from the area.
-Storage and cooking dragon karakuri are NOT shared between zones/town.
-Basic karakuri will persist unless destroyed (though there is presumably some cap), so you can put down some springs slightly off the path a moving monster would take so that it doesn't destroy them by running over them and speed up your travel a bit. Likewise boxes next to cliffs.
-Don't think of basic karakuri as precious resources, but as part of your moveset. Torches, springs, and box jumps can be very valuable and arguably core parts of a weapon's moveset.
-The nodachi can still attack and dodge roll while charging, and attacking will help fill the charge bar, and box jumps or spring jumps will restore some stamina. Don't treat it like the MH greatsword. If you get a knockdown start up a charge and do the three hit combo then release charge. It takes the same amount of time as just sitting there charging and does a lot more damage. You can also cancel the recovery of the big charged slash by building something.
-You can equip up to 5 talismans or up to 50 cost.
-Hunter's arm is super important and barely explained. With your weapon sheathed, run and jump at the monster and hold I think the run button and you should latch onto the monster. The crawl over to one of the glowing spots (easier said than done because the camera goes wild during this). Then hit L2 (or whatever the hunter view button is for you) to do hunter's arm, which will give you a ton of thread over your normal cap, restore some healing water charges, stagger the monster, and if you have armor skills that do it also give you some buffs. You also seem to be invincible while on the monster or at least doing hunter's arm, so you can use it to avoid some big aoe attacks as well.

RoboCicero posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with this game as someone using the Maul and the laser gun hand cannon. I can't deny that the kodachi and the karakuri staff have some incredible-looking finishers though.

Someone tell me how on earth you're supposed to use the stake basic karakuri though. I get it's use for climbing walls, but in fights it sometimes launches you to the kemono if it connects? Can't I just use a springboard for this? What on earth.

I'm still trying to figure out the stake myself, but it's faster and longer range at getting you to the monster than the spring, and it leaves the stake in them for a while which can act as a box spring to launch you up for aerial attacks, though that seems dubiously useful. I think once I rode a stake and grappled onto the monster from it, but I wasn't able to reproduce it on the training bear. I think it's more for the map movement and the main damage dealing fusion karakuri need it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 22, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Today's patch gave me a noticeable increase in performance but it's still a bit dodgy in places, and online feels like a coinflip where it doesn't impact anything or sometimes makes things chug pretty bad. Still enjoying it a lot though, the nodachi is fun

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The stakes primary purpose is fusion, as a tool its mostly useless but can be used midair to instantly do a grapple, alone though its mostly useful for jamming into walls while climbing them to act as springboards, in fact you can chain them every time you jump off of one.

Beat the game earlier today and overall its been rather fun, though the endgame looks overly grindy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zoig posted:

The stakes primary purpose is fusion, as a tool its mostly useless but can be used midair to instantly do a grapple, alone though its mostly useful for jamming into walls while climbing them to act as springboards, in fact you can chain them every time you jump off of one.

Beat the game earlier today and overall its been rather fun, though the endgame looks overly grindy.

I fiddled with them some more and they have some versatility in that you can grapple (hold run button) or bounce off (hold roll or jump I think?) for an aerial attack, but yeah they're not as generically useful as boxes or springs. Gotta bring it if you want to gently caress over flying monsters in particular, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the patch improved performance slightly on PS5 but multiplayer still lowers the FPS by a good 15 with bad stuttering.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't done multiplayer, but with my barely above min spec PC I can stay at locked 30 fps on lowish settings pretty reasonably except in town where it can drop a bit.

Also hoo boy is the ice wolf rough. Triple carted to it twice and that's all I have time for tonight. It's got big aoe attacks that hit ridiculously hard, it's fast, and the freezing status is nasty as hell. Additionally there don't seem to be any hard counter karakuri you can use against it from what I can tell. You really have to learn your iframes on it and not overcommit. I probably ought to detour and fight some 4* monsters rather than jump right to it with pretty weak gear.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Patch did some good for my framerate but mostly for responsiveness, in menus and in moving around

This game only started clicking by like hour 7-8 of the EA trial but since then I'm liking it more and more every time I play it, it's a weird one for sure

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

chumbler posted:

I haven't done multiplayer, but with my barely above min spec PC I can stay at locked 30 fps on lowish settings pretty reasonably except in town where it can drop a bit.

Also hoo boy is the ice wolf rough. Triple carted to it twice and that's all I have time for tonight. It's got big aoe attacks that hit ridiculously hard, it's fast, and the freezing status is nasty as hell. Additionally there don't seem to be any hard counter karakuri you can use against it from what I can tell. You really have to learn your iframes on it and not overcommit. I probably ought to detour and fight some 4* monsters rather than jump right to it with pretty weak gear.

If you did not have stakes equipped, you should, preferably over torches. Also make sure to have water defence and use the elemental lantern, it helps a ton as he spams elements.

This highlights a big weakness to the karakuri system, which is if you dont have the right ones on the hunt it just doesnt give you the blueprint. It really should reccomend the right ones before you set out once you have more than 4 basic components.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Performance still feels poor post patch on a 3060/i7 setup. I'm matching from East coast US to JP at this time of day though so I'm sure that's part of the sluggish feeling.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Zoig posted:

If you did not have stakes equipped, you should, preferably over torches. Also make sure to have water defence and use the elemental lantern, it helps a ton as he spams elements.

This highlights a big weakness to the karakuri system, which is if you dont have the right ones on the hunt it just doesnt give you the blueprint. It really should reccomend the right ones before you set out once you have more than 4 basic components.

I know on that Karakuri upgrade screen it showed me the ones needed and the monster's icon when I had faced the monster but didn't have the combine yet

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

One thing I've noticed is that when you are playing multiplayer and building fusions is to press the buttons slower than you would solo, it seems like lag can mess up placements so like for a heal mist you'll instead place 3 random gliders that aren't in a stack.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Dang I saw a huge performance improvement on PS5. Especially in multiplayer. Here’s what I wrote in the MH thread.

quote:

This is on PS5 in performance mode:
Initial load times at game launch are still god awful, though loading into a multiplayer game does seem quite a bit faster.
Pop-in seems to be reduced, though even on day 1 it seemed way better than what I saw in PC footage.
Frame rate in single player is definitely improved. Previously it would go down to ~30-40 fps in particularly intense fights. Now it seems to maintain 60 a lot more often and when it does drop frames it’s only down to around 50fps or so, but it’s not very often.
Frame rate in multiplayer is vastly, vastly improved. Previously it could drop below 30fps during intense parts of a fight. Now it seems to match single player performance (usually 60, drops only down to around 50).

It’s definitely not a rock solid locked 60, however, but overall it is a lot better.

Maybe I’m just getting old and anything even slightly above 30fps feels like 60 to me. I do notice seemingly random stutters unrelated to the framerate, like I got close enough to something that the game started loading models, enemies, etc. but it’s trying to load too much all at once and so the game stutter for about a tenth of a second.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So status might be super busted in this game? It seems to be % of damage dealt, so my hammer with a 2% sleep talisman was instantly putting small monsters to sleep. It also means on fast weapons a 1% talisman is still pretty good, since we can assume at minimum it does 1 point of buildup, and i got freeze reliably once a hunt with a claw blade.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Seems performance was improved a bit on consoles. But for PC it only improved on high end PCs? At least thats what I read on Reddit

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Seems performance was improved a bit on consoles. But for PC it only improved on high end PCs? At least thats what I read on Reddit

Hmmm, my rig is pretty high end but I'm still going to wait for another patch and probably a sale. I watched a weapons overview and really liked what was showcased!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Inzombiac posted:

Hmmm, my rig is pretty high end but I'm still going to wait for another patch and probably a sale. I watched a weapons overview and really liked what was showcased!

Would you mind sharing a link? I’ll exclude it in the OP when I update it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

big nipples big life posted:

One thing I've noticed is that when you are playing multiplayer and building fusions is to press the buttons slower than you would solo, it seems like lag can mess up placements so like for a heal mist you'll instead place 3 random gliders that aren't in a stack.

I’ve had it overbuild more things than I want when making a fireworks launcher etc, which I first thought was due to bad input buffering but I swear I’ve had it build more items at once than I ever pressed.

You also need to be absolutely motionless when building a hammer because having the tiniest bit of velocity can vacuum you forward onto the first spring before the stack is built.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think there's a bizarre bug that might improve performance if you pick 5.1/7.1 over stereo btw

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hmm, really hope a couple weapons get a balance pass. The parry window on the umbrella is a little TOO tight.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I have been using it and its mostly just tricky in that its when you get hit, not before, other parries tend to have a windup but the umbrella simply does not, and even rarely parrying you can do great as long as you play aggressive.

I found Its mostly just that some attacks have real mean delays, like the lavabacks fire plume backhop is the hop and then a plume a second later and i keep reacting to the hop.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think if it was any bigger it would make the weapon extremely OP since it can parry everything and you can cancel attacks into the parry. You would be invincible.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zoig posted:

I have been using it and its mostly just tricky in that its when you get hit, not before, other parries tend to have a windup but the umbrella simply does not, and even rarely parrying you can do great as long as you play aggressive.

I found Its mostly just that some attacks have real mean delays, like the lavabacks fire plume backhop is the hop and then a plume a second later and i keep reacting to the hop.

Well poo poo, I've been trying to Elden Ring Parry when I should have been trying to Dark Souls 1 parry I guess.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man this thread is depressingly small - not a gripe, just that between the rocky start and already being a pretty niche genre I really worry for this game's community going forward.

I've spent about 20 hours in the game and I'm of two minds about it really - it's packed with QoL features that MH fans would kill for, has a gorgeous world, super fun to explore, and even the building gimmick is super imaginative and a welcome addition. Karakuri is straight up a better version of the wirebug IMO.

That said I'm starting to flag in my enthusiasm for it for a few reasons. Performance was the biggest until yesterday's patch fixed most of the issues, but after that I'm really not clicking with any of the weapons:

quote:

Katana - Probably my "main" insofar as it's the weapon I use the most, not due to any special enthusiasm I have for it. A very brainless weapon that makes Dynasty Warriors combat look complex in comparison, but offers lots of damage and utility with zero drawbacks. Gimmick offers more damage and reach with no real tactical element aside from making sure you have a solid opening first.

Nodachi - Probably the weapon I have the least complaints about. Yes it's just another MH greatsword clone, but being able to attack while you "charge" is novel and useful. Spammy like all weapons, but its gimmicks are fun to use.

Wagasa - This was what I thought my main would be going in. Impressed by how versatile the parry is but its window is too short, and also the reward is not worth the risk because basically all you're doing is taking time and effort to build a gauge that takes your weapon from weak to almost as good as the katana or bow. Probably the worst of the starting weapons.

Maul - I'll go easy on this one because I think I'm just bad at it. It feels super unreliable when you're trying to extend your haft for bigger attacks whether you'll do that or use the spin. Like nodachi this one's very spammy as well because few monsters are going to give you the change to use anything other than karakuri moves. All that said, it's novel that the hammer equivalent is the most mechanically complex weapon in the game.

Bow - Ranged katana. Brainless like the katana, the bow is pure efficiency with zero drawbacks. Probably my second most used weapon because, like the katana, it's good out of the box with no gimmicks and requires the least amount of interaction with the monsters hyperactive movements and huge hitboxes.

Now I think it's very telling that everyone I've seen play long enough to use one of the 3 end-game weapons uses them almost exclusively, making you wonder why they'd make you spend most of the game without them. I'd really like to try the claw blade and the staff but I'm not sure my patience with the game will last that long. Monsters last a little bit too long, rarely seem to get knocked down as far as I can tell, and none of them have been particularly fun to fight so far. I feel like I'm playing just to see the good bits later, which is never something I've felt while playing MH

Inzombiac posted:

Mine as well and can attest performance improved hugely for me, though it still makes me GPU run hot at max settings.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 22, 2023

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I’ve been having a blast just helping people hunt the first three monsters while I learn the weapons. The katana is great fun, as is the nodachi. The hammer is great for people who are capable of doing the extension on the flash (so people not me basically), and the umbrella is certainly a choice that could be made. Haven’t tried the bow because I much prefer melee in these games. Looking forward to unlocking the other weapons tonight after work.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Man this thread is depressingly small - not a gripe, just that between the rocky start and already being a pretty niche genre I really worry for this game's community going forward.

I've spent about 20 hours in the game and I'm of two minds about it really - it's packed with QoL features that MH fans would kill for, has a gorgeous world, super fun to explore, and even the building gimmick is super imaginative and a welcome addition. Karakuri is straight up a better version of the wirebug IMO.

That said I'm starting to flag in my enthusiasm for it for a few reasons. Performance was the biggest until yesterday's patch fixed most of the issues, but after that I'm really not clicking with any of the weapons:

Now I think it's very telling that everyone I've seen play long enough to use one of the 3 end-game weapons uses them almost exclusively, making you wonder why they'd make you spend most of the game without them. I'd really like to try the claw blade and the staff but I'm not sure my patience with the game will last that long. Monsters last a little bit too long, rarely seem to get knocked down as far as I can tell, and none of them have been particularly fun to fight so far. I feel like I'm playing just to see the good bits later, which is never something I've felt while playing MH

The weapons unlock at the start of Chapter 2. It's not that long into the game, I have like 10 hours and just hit it. Do think them being locked is dumb though!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume they did it because of the plot, though that really only explains the cannon. I guess the idea is that they need the stuff in town working again to make the more complex weapons. Either way, it's not that far in, yeah.

I think the thread will be small for a bit since people are still working through the game or haven't picked it up due to performance issues. I'm only on the first 5*, have only used the nodachi, and don't have all the base and fusion karakuri unlocked yet. Hopefully it'll pick up more steam in a few days.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

They should have just not put the weapons behind the lavaback fight, all the fights after that until you get the weapons are easier, just kind of a weird difficulty spike. I think the thread's small because people were talking about the game in the MH thread for a while.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

M. Night Skymall posted:

They should have just not put the weapons behind the lavaback fight, all the fights after that until you get the weapons are easier, just kind of a weird difficulty spike. I think the thread's small because people were talking about the game in the MH thread for a while.

How many fights after lavaback would you say until you get the last 3 weapons?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Deified Data posted:

How many fights after lavaback would you say until you get the last 3 weapons?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

OK cool, I guess I have no excuse not to push forward a bit more.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah frankly the claw blade should have replaced the wagasa for starting weapons, having a earlygame weapon be "already know the mosters moves and react to them" kinda parry tool is not doing any favors and the claw blade is very braindead, as i just breezed through the game using it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Doesn't the blacksmith say that reactivating the threads and karakuri in the city is what gives her access to create the new weapons? (post chapter 2 spoiler)

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Deified Data posted:

I mean, I'd like to play it but it's $70 and has massive performance issues at the moment so...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm just glad that they were smart enough to make MP crossplat, so even if it's not super mega popular the shared population pool at least helps mitigate it.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Really enjoying the Staff weapon, aside from how frustrating it is to lose charge/whiff your big hit. Getting 2X charge from crate attacks is insanely crucial!

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Zoig posted:

Yeah frankly the claw blade should have replaced the wagasa for starting weapons, having a earlygame weapon be "already know the mosters moves and react to them" kinda parry tool is not doing any favors and the claw blade is very braindead, as i just breezed through the game using it.

Yeah the chain blade is the easiest weapon I think. So much freedom to attack and dodge on command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Okay so apparently the trick to getting good with umbrella parries is fairly straight forward: Dodge Parries.

Worst case scenario you iframe through the attack and get back to swinging, best case you're fuckin poo poo up.