Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I did what seems to be the game's equivalent of zorah magdoros. partway through the quest I fell into the ground where I was trapped in a corner within invisible walls with no way to get out. they don't let you teleport to a camp in that quest so I had to quit to menu and start over from the beginning.

e: I'm in town the day after the festival and all the festival crowd sounds are eerily playing in the empty space where it used to be lol

WarEternal posted:

I mean, I'd like to play it but it's $70 and has massive performance issues at the moment so...

I wish the issues stopped at performance. I could not recommend this in good conscience to anyone even if the FPS was flawless.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

How long until I unlock the claw blade and the cannon?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

How long until I unlock the claw blade and the cannon?

Beginning of chapter 2, probably only maybe 2-3 hours if you beeline the story?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I wish the issues stopped at performance. I could not recommend this in good conscience to anyone even if the FPS was flawless.

Same here. There's a lot of fun and cool ideas in Wild Hearts but they didn't work for me. I hope they get the chance to make Wild Hearts 2 and iterate some more on the karakuri and weapon systems because that could be real neat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone fiddled around with the dragon launcher? It has some use for just getting around the map if you're out of ziplines, but I guess for combat you can just set one up off to the side and load it up with crates for a bit of extra damage?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

chumbler posted:

Beginning of chapter 2, probably only maybe 2-3 hours if you beeline the story?

Thanks!

boz
Oct 16, 2005

chumbler posted:

Has anyone fiddled around with the dragon launcher? It has some use for just getting around the map if you're out of ziplines, but I guess for combat you can just set one up off to the side and load it up with crates for a bit of extra damage?

I can't figure out how to make it actually shoot the crates. It looks like I'm loading them up but nothing happens

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

boz posted:

I can't figure out how to make it actually shoot the crates. It looks like I'm loading them up but nothing happens

As far as I can tell it just does it automatically when there's a monster reasonably close. I loaded one up with stakes and saw it occasionally firing them out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've seen the impression from several people waiting on wild hearts that performance is the main thing holding the game back, and I'd like to take one big post to clarify that performance is just the tip of the iceberg and a single example of how comprehensively unfinished this entire product is. There are some fantastic ideas here that I think attracted a lot of eyes, including myself. Whether intentionally or just because it's a new title that doesn't have series baggage it's carrying forward from the PS2 days, a lot of cruft from monster hunter has been streamlined in a pretty effective way, such as the cluttered inventory being reduced to "here's your Heal Button" with refills found in the environment and tools like flashbangs built into the construction system as a core part of your abilities. There are vanishingly brief moments of brilliance like the "flashes of inspiration" that teach you new construction abilities in the middle of a fight. I will also say that purely in a vacuum, if you ignore literally everything about how they actually work in practice, the monsters are well-animated and have very distinctive designs. That's not trivial!

it's impossible to appreciate any of this in practice because nothing loving works correctly.

https://i.imgur.com/y01IXbE.mp4

The environments were not designed with gameplay in mind whatsoever, as they're full of complicated geometry that probably looked great in the concept art but does not translate to coherent gameplay at all. Monsters are constantly clipping through terrain, jittering around awkwardly, or doing clunky things like shooting upward with their legs floating in the air because their center of mass moved over a sharp rock. The player can easily get stuck on clutter and elevation differences when trying to maneuver. No part of these varied and creative environments actually plays well in a monster hunter framework. Collision in general is busted, as the environments are littered with cases where you can clip through the edge of the terrain, or where invisible walls stop you from moving several meters away from the visible edge of the terrain. Monster behavior is strange and insufferable as they often rezone hundreds of meters away less than a minute after you arrive, just to do the same thing back to where they started after you finally catch up and spend 30 seconds fighting them, leading to hunts that spend less time fighting the monster than chasing it.

Example fun experience: My first cart happened when I got hit by a grab that caused my character to jankily jitter around in the animation, whereupon I was thrown in between the wall and some roots growing on the side of the wall, causing the camera to get jammed inside me and preventing me from moving until I was inevitably comboed to death. Because this was early in the game and you have to build all your camps manually with a crafting budget I did not yet have available to me, I respawned more than 600 meters away from the monster.

Hitboxes are incredibly shoddy, and I would be somewhat more understanding of this if the game not have the gall to base one of its weapons entirely around parrying with an unbelievably tiny parry window that requires rock solid animation reading and therefore trust in the hitboxes. (The only game I've ever played with a parry window as tiny as this was the Wo Long Fallen Dynasty demo, which was widely criticized for being too short so the devs increased the window in response, and that was in a demo with actual good hitboxes). I was the most excited for this weapon based on its aesthetics but quickly had to drop it in frustration, because it was too infuriating to have a parry fail to register on an attack that was actively colliding with my character and shoving them out of the way, or to get hit by the thin air in front of the monster while waiting for the last moment to parry.

Action game "feel" isn't the worst I've ever seen but it's badly missing something next to its competitor. Monster hunter has some fantastic hitstop, VFX and sound that make landing decisive hits satisfying as hell, but in wild hearts I don't feel my big hits doing much besides making a bigger damage number. Monster reactions are confusing and it feels like their parts just sort of come off randomly with knockdowns happening arbitrarily. I often can't tell whether I've actually broken a body part or what I'm really doing to the monster before it suddenly dies. I audibly said "gently caress yes" aloud when I landed this counter in monster hunter, and I have yet to have a moment that felt 10% as satisfying as this in wild hearts.

https://i.imgur.com/ILFzUPF.mp4

Controls are as unpolished as everything else. Actions that propel you somewhere often send you a direction where you are neither pointing the stick nor where your character is facing. Structures like springs and torches will vacuum you into them obnoxiously. Air control is fucky and inconsistent. So is input buffering - sometimes the game will remember inputs from half a second ago that you don't want to do, and then it will ignore inputs from a tenth of a second ago that you do want to do.

Sound mixing is poor with some high-pitched sounds that are uncomfortably loud and strident compared to the rest of the audio. I can't remember any of the soundtrack I've heard so far.

On the subject of performance, yes, it's true that it's frequently poor even on PS5 hardware, and I don't have anything to add there that hasn't been said everywhere else already. But what's incredible to me is that this is the case when many of the textures and VFX wouldn't look out of place on PS3, complete with amateurish and distracting shadow and LOD pop-in. I do not think of myself as a Graphics Snob at all but I think you're either allowed to have performance that struggles to stay at 60 or have visuals like this in a AAA title, but not both. It's very hard to accept the frame drops when the product is as ugly as this.

There are way too many individual graphical issues absolutely everywhere to cover, so here's just one of my favorites: when you use a torch to put a fire buff on your bow, it attaches this comically large rectangle of fire to the weapon that covers up half the screen. very helpful!

In summary: from the environments to monster behavior to controls to visuals, I cannot go 15 continuous seconds without experiencing something that feels wrong, and even if many of those issues are too individually minor and inconsequential to be worth calling out by themselves, the sheer goddamn density of them is so relentless that nothing in wild hearts has ever felt satisfying to experience or like it's really working as intended. I can overlook a tremendous amount of bad stuff if something about a game resonates with me well enough, but it turns out the appeal of wild hearts that kept me playing long enough to write this much about it was just the idea of what it could be. "Monster hunter + death stranding" is an absolute slam dunk of an idea and I badly wanted to enjoy this game, but it needed another entire year in the oven.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Apparently whenever a hunter is visiting, if you do their hunt request it always gives a talisman.

Also its frustrating seeing stuff like that, because I know I have not experienced the majority of those issues, but at the same time those are consitently mentioned by other people and they genuinely do affect your experience. "Well it doesnt happen to me" is not a fair or valid rebuttal but at the same time its also true for my nearly 50 hours ingame, and frankly i can reccomend it myself with the caveat that the game takes quite some time to open up and improve.

the early hours are not very repersentative of it later on, but those early hours are the first 6-8. In particular the first zone is probably one of the worst, both geometry and performance wise, as later zones have more friendly areas to fight in and something in the buildings causes terrible performance and is general just doesnt work.

By chance are you on pc or ps5? I feel like the game was primarly tested on ps5 which seems like a terrible idea to me.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 23, 2023

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
gently caress the birds in this game! All of them! Finally cleared Amaterasu and I had wiped so many times to her that I was able to craft two pieces of her armor immediately.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I really like this game! And on ps5 when hunting with 3 players the game goes into cool slo-mo mode, which is a feature monster hunter never had :colbert:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RoboCicero posted:

gently caress the birds in this game! All of them! Finally cleared Amaterasu and I had wiped so many times to her that I was able to craft two pieces of her armor immediately.

I actually really like fighting the birds because harpoon pulldowns are so satisfying (and easier to land than chain traps).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The repeater crossbow will knock a bird down if the first shot hits it mid attack. The first shot also seems to be a guaranteed stagger against any monster generally.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Birds suck at first but get a bit easier to handle, i was able to wallop em no problem with hammer, but even after farming him for said hammer lavaback is perpetually very rude to fight. Him and hat byakko looking fellow

FloppyDisk
Feb 5, 2004
Is this where I put my Title text?
I just finished up the endgame mostly solo, completing all four deeply volatile kemono hunts. And I'd say this game is a solid first entry into the monster hunting genre marred by performance issues.

I really like the dragon karakuri and the ability to shape shortcuts and hunting camps on all of the maps. It adds an interesting element of personalization and uniqueness when visiting other player's worlds. The basic karakuri are also interesting enough to add much needed player options to the rather basic weapon movesets. There are some obvious balancing that needs to happen with some options being way better than others.

Also, I think the weapon upgrade system is really well designed and gives you lots of options for mix and matching different skills that also give a good reason to go back and farm certain kemonos.

Overall, the kemono design and movesets are also pretty interesting and consistent in theme. It leaves plenty of room for more roster additions that would fit the world well.

But on the other side, the armor system is really bare and uninteresting. The endgame content is almost nonexistent. And the performance issues might just kill off the game before it has a chance.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I'm still frustrated we have no idea how elemental damage actually works, as people tried it, found it lacking, and just went for raw. I really want to know how the heck its even calculated because in theory the wakasa should be great for it but in practice no.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Zoig posted:

I'm still frustrated we have no idea how elemental damage actually works, as people tried it, found it lacking, and just went for raw. I really want to know how the heck its even calculated because in theory the wakasa should be great for it but in practice no.

I did some testing. It basically works the exact same as regular damage rating, just with a higher or lower multiplier against different kemono depending on weaknesses. How much exactly is harder to test, especially not knowing what the resistances on the training dummy are. So there isn't an advantage to having elemental on faster vs. slower weapons etc like in MH. You can treat a weapon with 400 raw and 300 fire damage as basically the same as a weapon with 700 raw, that behaves more like a 800 dmg weapon against fire-weak kemono, or (worst-case) a 400 raw weapon against kemono immune to fire damage.

The math on how much more damage elemental does than raw (even against the dummy) is hard because all weapons have a hidden "base" raw damage number. So you won't see much % difference with the low tier weapons in terms of elements, (because your 50 raw/50 fire maul is actually a 480 raw/50 fire maul, and it's doing 1/10 of its damage as elemental, not 1/2) but you'll see relatively more variance once the weapons have bigger numbers.

This second part about base raw values is pretty important and is definitely gonna drive the meta/speedrun types crazy. I did a bunch of testing and math for what damage rating actually means that I could post if people are interested.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 23, 2023

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
That's really interesting! I was actually not sure if the elemental damage was expressed as an additive value vs "this much of the raw damage rating is typed". This means that a lot of the later weapons with almost 50-50 elemental/untyped distributions are really punchy, huh?

On this note, has anyone noticed the little elemental icons next to area indicators? Is there anything to them? I'd assume it's something like "this element gains a bonus in this area" but you spend so much time re-zoning I can't imagine it's worth paying attention to.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The ice wolf kicked my drat rear end. A bit let down by how little its charges get staggered by the shield wall too.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
And here I am still in the first area trying to place my tents and ziplines in the perfect locations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I've probably spent a good third of my time so far just exploring the maps. Probably ought to progress more so that I can get the stuff to upgrade my dragon pits to put down more stuff. Being able to just throw down a fast travel point where you like rules so much.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

That's really interesting! I was actually not sure if the elemental damage was expressed as an additive value vs "this much of the raw damage rating is typed". This means that a lot of the later weapons with almost 50-50 elemental/untyped distributions are really punchy, huh?

On this note, has anyone noticed the little elemental icons next to area indicators? Is there anything to them? I'd assume it's something like "this element gains a bonus in this area" but you spend so much time re-zoning I can't imagine it's worth paying attention to.

I was wondering myself but the answer is actually really mundane, its the primary element the dragon pit for the area provides.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I did some testing. It basically works the exact same as regular damage rating, just with a higher or lower multiplier against different kemono depending on weaknesses. How much exactly is harder to test, especially not knowing what the resistances on the training dummy are. So there isn't an advantage to having elemental on faster vs. slower weapons etc like in MH. You can treat a weapon with 400 raw and 300 fire damage as basically the same as a weapon with 700 raw, that behaves more like a 800 dmg weapon against fire-weak kemono, or (worst-case) a 400 raw weapon against kemono immune to fire damage.

The math on how much more damage elemental does than raw (even against the dummy) is hard because all weapons have a hidden "base" raw damage number. So you won't see much % difference with the low tier weapons in terms of elements, (because your 50 raw/50 fire maul is actually a 480 raw/50 fire maul, and it's doing 1/10 of its damage as elemental, not 1/2) but you'll see relatively more variance once the weapons have bigger numbers.

This second part about base raw values is pretty important and is definitely gonna drive the meta/speedrun types crazy. I did a bunch of testing and math for what damage rating actually means that I could post if people are interested.

Interesting insights on the elemental weapons, good to know they do have use, might work on a high rank deathstalker weapon then since it looks rad and the fights fun once you get him down.

Also some of the later karakuri upgrades are super nuts, theres one for a endgame fusion that is just health dust, but a later upgrade makes it apply regeneration. . In general the karakuri upgrades make massive differences, so grinding a new weapon does also just provide a general power improvement via orbs.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Exploring the maps is pretty important, but wait until you get the upgrade that lets your watchtowers reveal the locations of cogs and relics. Collecting all the cogs and upgrading your robot is what increases your max thread (up to 24), which is a huge power increase.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It is worth it to look around if you hear them rattling around though since the early upgrades are pretty cheap.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I can definitely see holes in the core gameplay and monster design, and how much you'll like it compared to MonHun I feel is going to come down to how much the base building and map customization aspects fill on those holes for you.

Thankfully for me the answer is "A lot" so I can see myself sticking to this game for a long while.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

How do you build charge on the staff?

Also the plant bunnies are adorable even though they slap you with their little paws when you stand near them too long.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

How do you build charge on the staff?

Also the plant bunnies are adorable even though they slap you with their little paws when you stand near them too long.

Hit R2 when you see the flash, basically. You build 1 from regular combo attacks, and 2 from box and spring attacks I think.

I've been trying to work out what the different fusion karakuri are counters for since I assume that is more how they want you to use them than just spam chain trap, harpoon, and repeater crossbow (not that that isn't legitimate). Basically I just want to feel clever for using more tools. It seems like many of them will give you a knockdown if they counter the right hit, though I haven't done a ton of testing. Its possible for some of these that I was just near a threshold and it tipped over to the knockdown. I think they're kind of intended for the following.

Bulwark: Tutorial example, counters big telegraphed charges but only stops lighter charges
Pounder: Knocks down a perched monster
Fireworks: Knocks down flying monsters
Bomb: Seems to give a knockdown when triggered by a lighter attack or body slam, nothing if it explodes on its own
Repeater crossbow: guaranteed stagger on the first shot, larger if it interrupts an attack and will knock down flying monsters if it interrupts an attack
Shield wall: Faster but shorter duration than bulwark, seems to counter lighter charges but not the big telegraphed ones, might also work against things like lavaback or fumebeak spins?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 24, 2023

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Shield wall is a weird one, it counters things like Goldshard spin which will destroy a bulwark. I think it blocks everything but only lasts a few seconds so it's harder to time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

This'll be of interest to anyone struggling on Amaterasu :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30Nfa1ZqG8

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Are the servers offline for anyone else?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This'll be of interest to anyone struggling on Amaterasu :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30Nfa1ZqG8

Oh nice, I bet that would also work with the other weapons with gauges.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I saw a video today that talked about how the surprise attack skill is kind of busted because it doesn't work like you expect. Rather than being strictly the first attack (which would be pretty useless), it boosts all damage you deal until the monster roars to start the fight, and after it roars to leave a zone. Building a grace period into it like that to accommodate multihitting attacks and weapons is good, but the busted part that needs to be fixed is that chain traps will prevent the monster from roaring for their duration, and you can keep a monster in them back to back, and trap them moving between zones, so you can get a huge surprise attack boost for the duration of those chain traps. This apparently leads to like 1 minute (technically 0 since the timer only starts when they roar) kills on end-ish game monsters and a huge amount of damage on tougher ones.

So yeah, skills probably need a pass, and on top of that many of them are unclear on how they actually work and the game probably isn't popular enough for dataminers to do their thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Raging Lavaback can suck it. You can get hit by his lariat attack twice mid knock up and instantly die if you're unlucky.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Raging Lavaback can suck it. You can get hit by his lariat attack twice mid knock up and instantly die if you're unlucky.

Yeah I feel like the monsters are way overturned.

I got frustrated with angry dreadclaw and quit. It just kept spamming me with drop kicks.

Never had trouble like this in MHW.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yeah I feel like the monsters are way overturned.

I got frustrated with angry dreadclaw and quit. It just kept spamming me with drop kicks.

Never had trouble like this in MHW.

I agree with the overtuning, but I’ve definitely been trapped in a corner of the geometry by a monster in MH and effectively stunlocked to death.

Most frustrating thing in WH for me so far has been the several times when I get dazed and then the Tsukumo tries to attract the monsters attention… except it just rolled next to me when it did that so it just brings the monster charging back in my direction.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Having a great time with the nodachi. Was rough going at first until I discovered just how much range the level 3 charge has. Was playing it more up close like MH GS.

Also, the basic karakuri are great for it. I abuse the spring big time. It not only gives you huge i-frames and maneuverability, but also restores stamina as you charge. And if both spring attacks hit then its and instant level 2 charge, almost level 3. Same with the torch attacks.

The combat is solid imo, though needs some tweaks. The game needed a loooot more polish in every other aspect though. Even outside the performance issues (which I've had two of on the PS5 so not too bad).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

I agree with the overtuning, but I’ve definitely been trapped in a corner of the geometry by a monster in MH and effectively stunlocked to death.

Most frustrating thing in WH for me so far has been the several times when I get dazed and then the Tsukumo tries to attract the monsters attention… except it just rolled next to me when it did that so it just brings the monster charging back in my direction.

I had several cases where I'd get the message about tsukumo attracting the monster's attention but the monster completely ignored it and continued to go after me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It always felt practically guaranteed to me. That little guy's saved my rear end so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I had several cases where I'd get the message about tsukumo attracting the monster's attention but the monster completely ignored it and continued to go after me.

I think monsters sort of queue up attacks so sometimes it'll taunt the monster but it still is coded to do the attack it was in the middle of executing rather than shift targets first.