Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

chumbler posted:

It always felt practically guaranteed to me. That little guy's saved my rear end so many times.

Yeah same. It seems guaranteed to draw the monsters attention when your health is critical. But the monster has to finish its combo first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I was able to beat chapter 4 over the weekend and now just finishing up the story quests. I really enjoyed the game, crazy camera issues and performance issues aside! Definitely don't skip on the inspiration for the healing vaporizer -- I thought initially that it blocked one status effect but it's just this huge AoE heal pulse. I cleared Golden Tempest and Emberplume without it, but I'm not sure I could've done the Divine Dragon since you don't get healing water on revive.

Now I'm clearing out the rest of the quests and grinding armor. Fun fact! The ability that increases the speed of stowing your weapon does not increase the speed of unstowing your weapon. I thought I could stack it and have a mobility hand cannon build but it looks like it only works one way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got up to Amaterasu and tried to see what I could do with my still low rank gear, but I'm not good enough to never get hit when each hit is like 90% of your health bar, so I'm on a detour to farm up some actual gear. It's cool that Amaterasu is wood element rather than what you'd expect.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
wtf the claw blade should be illegal lol

it's like longsword in MH, just blatantly better than the other weapons

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Update today seems to have borked the cyclopedia - all giant kemono entries empty, art is gone for every monster

E. Nvm restart fixed it

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 1, 2023

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I feel like I fundamentally don't get this game and could use some tips. I got to the gorilla and he whupped my rear end. So I crafted some better armor and killed him. Another player joined halfway through and we won by the skin of our teeth. Then I was curious how others handle him so I joined another one and killed him 2 other players.

Here's what I don't get: when he turns all fiery, he attacks so frequently with so few safe gaps that it is very hard to ever approach him. I'd say more than half the time I see someone try to attack him they also get hit. He's only dying because the high amount of heal water and the damage dished out when he turns off the fire. In other games, I'd expect him to get tired or reveal a weak spot or maybe not be fiery so drat long, but here, I don't get it at all. Mostly it's just 2-3 hunters running around dodging, occasionally hitting him with the triple spring fusion thing.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

ultrachrist posted:

I feel like I fundamentally don't get this game and could use some tips. I got to the gorilla and he whupped my rear end. So I crafted some better armor and killed him. Another player joined halfway through and we won by the skin of our teeth. Then I was curious how others handle him so I joined another one and killed him 2 other players.

Here's what I don't get: when he turns all fiery, he attacks so frequently with so few safe gaps that it is very hard to ever approach him. I'd say more than half the time I see someone try to attack him they also get hit. He's only dying because the high amount of heal water and the damage dished out when he turns off the fire. In other games, I'd expect him to get tired or reveal a weak spot or maybe not be fiery so drat long, but here, I don't get it at all. Mostly it's just 2-3 hunters running around dodging, occasionally hitting him with the triple spring fusion thing.

That's my experience with that one as well. When he gets all fired up (heh) you kind of hit-and-run. Making use of springboards to approach/attack and escape.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yup I spring directly into enemy attacks to get behind them. The spring gives an insane amount of i-frames. Very effective against lavaback. Get behind him after an attack and punish.

Different weapons like to use different karakuri. Springs are insanely good for nodachi since aside from the i-frames, they recharge a bit of stamina while you charge. And if are charging while you spring and get both of the flying attacks off it almost fills your entire charge gauge.

For big AOE attacks, just get out of range and build the hammer fusion to whack him on his cooldown (or if playing nodachi just charge your sword). Building walls is affective against lavaback too. Stops some of his attacks.

Basically you want to be building things constantly.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
https://twitter.com/playWildHearts/status/1631090551645667328?s=20

New content coming in March.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Looks like the last patch may have changed the hunts visiting hunters offer. Last one I got was a double volatile mission which is, uh, quite a step up from the 2 star kingtusk hunts they were offering before.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for the lavaback tips. I think my biggest issue was the katana sucks vs him (it might suck in general.) I progressed the story and unlocked all the weapons. The cannon is what really clicked for me. It owns. I went back and helped this guy killed the gorilla... I watched him get smacked down and then he just never returned while complaining in his mic as though no one could hear him. Anyway, I solo'd lavaback just fine with the cannon. Then I fought him again in a sidequest in chapter 2 with two other decent players and we crushed him in like 6 minutes. Feel like the game clicked now and I'm having a good time.

I shot the gorilla's rear end off last time and have his tail but I need his 'beard' to get that sweet chest piece. Any ideas on this? He doesn't seem to have a big beard and I've shot him in the face plenty.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

Thanks for the lavaback tips. I think my biggest issue was the katana sucks vs him (it might suck in general.) I progressed the story and unlocked all the weapons. The cannon is what really clicked for me. It owns. I went back and helped this guy killed the gorilla... I watched him get smacked down and then he just never returned while complaining in his mic as though no one could hear him. Anyway, I solo'd lavaback just fine with the cannon. Then I fought him again in a sidequest in chapter 2 with two other decent players and we crushed him in like 6 minutes. Feel like the game clicked now and I'm having a good time.

I shot the gorilla's rear end off last time and have his tail but I need his 'beard' to get that sweet chest piece. Any ideas on this? He doesn't seem to have a big beard and I've shot him in the face plenty.

The cannon's super fun. Someone in the MH thread suggested dropping the glider and then just raining shots on the monster from above, and it is the best.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

The cannon's super fun. Someone in the MH thread suggested dropping the glider and then just raining shots on the monster from above, and it is the best.

Yeah that was what initially sold me in it. Holding the glider with one hand and the cannon with the other is badass, especially as you dodge the fireballs or other poo poo the beasts are throwing at you.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
First content update out today:
https://www.ea.com/games/wild-hearts/wild-hearts/news/march-10-update

Patch notes:
https://www.ea.com/games/wild-hearts/wild-hearts/news/wild-hearts-patch-march-10-2023

Fake edit: I was going to copy the list here, but they basically list out what seems like every specific bug fix instead of filling it under “bug fixes and improvements.” I really like the specificity, but it’s a very, very long list, so just head to the EA link for better formatting.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 10, 2023

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Looks like they plan to add more at a steady clip as there's another on the 23rd and then more in April.

I ctrl+f'd the list and they didn't fix the 2 bugs I've encountered:
- I sometimes can't redeploy ki bases or use the command to reset them (has only happened twice)
- I didn't get the trophy for killing my first deeply volatile kemono (there's several other trophy fixes but not this)

More kemono is cool but given the end game seems like it's just trying to get better talismans, I doubt it's enough to keep me consistently playing. Game is great though, surprised there's not more chatter about it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was really hyped for it but the early PC performance reports scared me off, the spate of recent lovely ports has been yick

has it patched up, or have they communicated that it will be?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The first patch they released a few days into release helped massively for me. But in MP it was still a coinflip if it was slowmo city or not. Haven't played in a couple weeks tho.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I played for the first time in a couple weeks today - has performance somehow gotten worse on pc? I had a lot of patience for this game but I think I'm filing any future KT PC release under "get on gamepass or not at all"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The first patch they released a few days into release helped massively for me. But in MP it was still a coinflip if it was slowmo city or not. Haven't played in a couple weeks tho.

For context this patch helped a lot, then I booted up again today and now performance is back at day 1 levels.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 12, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've been playing this recently since I needed a MH-style kick and it looked decent enough. I went for hammer because hammer owns and I've had fun with it and it's decently different from the MH hammer that I feel like I'm getting a different experience with it.

Overall my feeling with the game is that I'm having fun and the weapons are kind of cool, but I don't like the monster design as much as MH monsters. I know this is partially because MH has had decades of monster design to work with, but a lot of the designs of Wild Hearts seem to be "animal + element".

The only monster I've triple-carted to is Deathstalker, at the end of chapter 2. I thought the mission to go to the snowy castle was just a "unlock this new area" mission, so I didn't do much pre-farming before doing the mission. So I went in not knowing what to expect, and I saw the 5* rating and thought it was going to be a mission where I hurt the monster a bit, and then they run off and I would have to deal with it later. So I triple carted and decided to give it another go, and because I just had the chain trap unlocked thanks to the inspiration, I just used that and the hammer construct to kinda cheese the fight. It felt kinda cheap to just use those to do damage, by the end I was playing extra-safe and just using the hammer construct since it does decent damage, is extremely safe to build and it doesn't cost much thread. Kinda felt bad that I wasn't getting in and close, but a win is a win.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried this again over the weekend because I saw they just put out a new update and people were praising the performance bump but.. it still kinda ran like poo poo for me even with FSR2 on. It feels like there's this weirdly consistent hitching when I'm swinging the camera around and it makes fighting a monster feel bad and imo the graphical fidelity doesn't match the performance so even when it's clear and it runs alright for a while it all looks muddy, especially with FSR2 on where everything gets a nice screen door effect going on. Oh well, Sunbreak is coming to xbox this month. Maybe I'll check in on this again some day if I can get a super cheap key or they take the 10 hour trial limitation off of the gamepass thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I gamefly'd this the other day and have been playing it a bunch - I really like it! I really vibe with the world and I feel more like a gardener than a hunter with all the plant-based monsters. Though I will say money and monster part drops are really stingy, at least compared to Monster Hunter. I expect I'd have to sell resources to get money, besides the fisherman guild jobs, but they don't sell much at all. Rotten bits of wood I find all over the place sell for the same amount as the face of a giant death monster. Been focusing on the katana and I dig it quite a bit. Nodachi is fun too but maybe a bit too cumbersome for me. I tried the umbrella weapon but I couldn't get the parry time down on the training dummy so I knew I wasn't going to in a real monster fight. The upgrade tree is wonky. I've never heard of unlocking weapons further down a tree without knowing the prerequisites. Any favorite early game katanas you liked? I've just been getting what I can upgrade, which isn't a lot. Like I said, materials are very stingy and it seems like the only way to get some is to break them off, which is easier said than done. I really like all the stuff you can build outside of combat that makes life easier.

Game's a lot better than I thought it'd be. I've bounced off on just about every hunting game similar to Monster Hunter but this one got me pretty good. Just wish it wasn't as grindy as it seems to be. I could be wrong since I'm still early yet (I have to fight Lavaback) so I hope it doesn't become even worse.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
fyi there are monster drops that exist just for selling. Believe they are listed as commodity and are described as material to be sold for money

I beat the game solely with the nodachi. Its actually a pretty straightforward weapon. Just spam spring attacks into level 2 or 3 charge attacks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a way to make specific upgrade material to drop? Mainly the material you need to use to make the equipment either human or kemono focused. Or is that junk completely up to RNG.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Jimbot posted:

Is there a way to make specific upgrade material to drop? Mainly the material you need to use to make the equipment either human or kemono focused. Or is that junk completely up to RNG.

I think it might be largely RNG, but you can influence a bit by breaking parts and picking up the small pieces/collecting the larger pieces and tails. It definitely feels like the developers & QA folks probably played with 2× - 3× drop rates.

I just completed the main story. ~70 hours, but that was due to foolishness on my part. I made sure I cleared every quest and hunt in the first few chapters before moving on and, back to drop rates, spent many hours farming deathstalkers to get a complete set of death stalker armor… only to have that armor completely outclassed by the armor sets you can forge in later chapters. Just a complete waste of my time. I expected something like that to happen, just thought it would happen after the main story.

I’m probably going to shelve it for now, rather than moving on to the post-story volatile hunts. I’m a bit burned out after 70 hours.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Amaterasu fight is such a horrible, worthless slog that it almost made me quit the game completely. Whoever designed this trash should never work in the industry again. Holy crap was it wholly unfun.

Cramped, glitchy arena. Overly aggressive boss. "Offscreen" attacks. Bloated healthpool. It has all the hallmarks of a badly designed boss fight. Personally, I think every hunting game should have those suped up versions of the monsters that they add post-release for the real sweaty players as mandatory fights! Nothing screams fun like getting stomped into the ground from a sheer cliff-sized difficulty spike!

They should have put the fight in that huge field that's literally ten feet from that poo poo arena you fight it in and made it a survive mission. Man, did I hate that loving fight. So awful.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 18, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Resurrecting this thread because I've been playing this on Gamepass with a friend. And I've really liked it! It's such a shame performance is still quite choppy and EA dropped the game already, since I think I like it better than MH Rise which I also played with a friend. Reasons being:

- Fights aren't as long, the enemy does not escape as much
- You can get every part as a drop, not just from breaking - breaking just guarantees it
- Building karakuri is actually a fun mechanic

It does have a similar annoying side where you have to grind certain element defense armor for a fight (Deathstalker, Amaterasu) and just a bit later that armor is outclassed. Overall I feel element defense is more important than in MH.

Currently I'm doing the quest right after Amaterasu and looks like gonna have to farm the snow princess (?) armor since it gives both fire and water defense and next big bosses are mighty Deathstalker and cobalt lavaback. Been using the katana the whole game and even if simple, it feels good to use. Got the raw DMG 558 version recently with Amaterasu parts.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Now it's my turn to necro this thread. Bought the PS5 version for $20 on Amazon and played for about six hours between yesterday and today. So far I'm loving it.

I liked each of the starter weapons, but didn't really click with one until I tried out the umbrella / wagasa. I immediately knew this was the weapon for me in this game. Normally I parry a little too late in most games, but that timing seems to be what works in Wild Hearts. I barely made it past the story Kingtusk hunt with the bow, but with the wagasa I haven't even carted once.

I should move on to the next area to continue the story but I'm having too much fun joining other low level people and wrecking these early kemono. Even the stupid poison bird is going down relatively easily after killing me so many times when I first encountered it. I'll advance the story eventually though because I want to check out the weapons you unlock in Chapter 2.

There's some janky-ness and camera issues, but nothing that hasn't been in other MonHun-likes. I liked the Toukiden games so a little Omega Force jank doesn't bother me too much.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Yeah I wouldn't stay too, too long in an area before progressing the story. Definitely don't try to get every armor set before moving on because you will definitely get way better armor later. Plus you can go back to earlier chapters when you want.

Also besides weapon types you unlock more stuff to build. It's a shame performance issues killed the reception, because the game is just fun as hell. Like alot of games emphasize different things at different points: story, gameplay, suspense and tension, difficulty, multiplayer competition, etc. In WH it feels like Omega Force smashed the "just make it fun" button anytime they could.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Okay, I've progressed the story and unlocked the rest of the weapons. The Lavaback fight was cool. I went in expecting it to be super tough, but it wasn't too bad. I had a mix of Gritdog and Fume Beak armor and ended up using my most upgraded hammer even though it wasn't water-based. Didn't cart once, though it took like 15 minutes since I did a LOT of running around and dodging. Went much faster once I learned to dodge / spring behind him like an earlier post in here mentioned.

The big, cinematic fight was cool, and I upgraded my storage as well. Progress feels clunky but fun, and I've had decent success getting assistance so far. I'm trying to knock out the 20 fights online trophy just to get it done, think I'm at 10 so far.

But anyway, I have to gush about the weapons. Thought I would stick with the wasaga even after unlocked the rest, but the claw blade and cannon are fun as hell also. Took the hand cannon out for the next story mission without knowing how to use it and still did okay vs the Dreadbeak. Only after did I look up a video to figure out why sometimes I could fire fast and sometimes not. The whole Ki Base and Heat system is neat, and I can't wait to fire the big friggin laser.

The claw blade is super fun but I'm still learning how to get more damage once I'm anchored to the kemono. I'm doing all these cool, flippy slashes but half the time I'm like way above the monster and it's not hitting them. Pulled off the big dive damage explosion moves a couple of times though and it was awesome.

Still need to check out the staff. Seems cool but complicated. I'll probably take it on a couple of low level hunts to try it out later today. I've also been using the hammer a lot more. The whole extension gimmick is neat once you get used to the timing, and pulling off the jumping slam combo feels good.

Gold seems really tight still. I sell all the parts that are specifically for making money after every hunt, but I still need to dip into the actual monster parts and ingredients all the time. Probably because I'm trying to make so many different weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ice Wolf kicked my rear end. Time to farm the Lava Back for a fire weapon!