Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

oh man yeahhhh, i thoght about buying a print of that

Same. Hell I may do it for the new place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Always loved the San Andreas map and how loving huge it felt at the time, even though without the fog you can pretty much see the whole map from any high point lol. Probably the peak of GTA and there’s so much variety in the different areas

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I found this inside the tiny artbook that came with mgs legacy collection then found a bigger image online

awesome poster

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I just really like the style of the Kingdom Come: Deliverance maps

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mbt posted:

hail to the king, baby

:worship:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil castle, giant robot, moon. It's basically the FF4 world map.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like maps your character actually takes out and you have to use that way. Tlou2 had a cool one that filled in as you explored

Dishboured 2 has some nice looking maps but I never found them that useful

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Always loved the San Andreas map and how loving huge it felt at the time, even though without the fog you can pretty much see the whole map from any high point lol. Probably the peak of GTA and there’s so much variety in the different areas

Yeah, San Andreas had a great map. Just peak GTA, even for cruising around. Despite my love of Vice City and GTA3, I spent heaps of time in SA's map. I basically did all of the random side activities just to explore and have fun in that game - the triathlons were pretty good, I remember.
I don't think I really cared too much about any subsequent GTA's map too much beyond for mission purposes, tbh. The GTASA one was just so good by comparison

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, San Andreas had a great map. Just peak GTA, even for cruising around. Despite my love of Vice City and GTA3, I spent heaps of time in SA's map. I basically did all of the random side activities just to explore and have fun in that game - the triathlons were pretty good, I remember.
I don't think I really cared too much about any subsequent GTA's map too much beyond for mission purposes, tbh. The GTASA one was just so good by comparison

4’s map is a really good approximation of NYC but it’s kind of boring otherwise. 5’s is fine but it feels weak compared to SA

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

4’s map is a really good approximation of NYC but it’s kind of boring otherwise. 5’s is fine but it feels weak compared to SA

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. 4's did look pretty good/realistic, but drat there wasn't much to do in it! And yeah 5's just a cut down SA, so eh.
This actually got me wondering about the GTA:SA definitive edition on Steam, but uh... apparently it's awful, compared to the original? Shame, really!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. 4's did look pretty good/realistic, but drat there wasn't much to do in it! And yeah 5's just a cut down SA, so eh.
This actually got me wondering about the GTA:SA definitive edition on Steam, but uh... apparently it's awful, compared to the original? Shame, really!

I think the definitive editions got patched recently so they’re better… but they’re still missing some of the soundtrack :(

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Evil Eagle posted:

I found this inside the tiny artbook that came with mgs legacy collection then found a bigger image online

awesome poster

This is sick. I remember before Kojima got muscled out of Konami his team did a promo video about all the MGS map sizes relative to Phantom Pain and it blew my mind at the time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is sick. I remember before Kojima got muscled out of Konami his team did a promo video about all the MGS map sizes relative to Phantom Pain and it blew my mind at the time.

That is cool, but I dunno how accurate it feels lol

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

i cant find a good pic but being able to tilt the map in death stranding to view the topography and plot your route is cool as hell

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this thread reminded me of a goon's project: https://twitter.com/vgcartography

he posts maps and makes cool little diaramas of levels from games

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1626933460538384384?t=XdzFvF62ITAFuqN4RWkIIw&s=19

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1622937592353243137?t=X4vc2zt9f4JNfCNc_rEdsA&s=19

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1617858264506724352?t=58KSPyMzari36VF4fNrseA&s=19

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh wow, that brings back memories! I played on Plywood Paradise for many hours. Just a great map to mess around on

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

only thing I like more than a world map is an isometric world map. beautiful

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

going to pore over these later

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

going to pore over these later

Same

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I recorded a video but I don't think anyone wants to watch lines draw on a map for 20 minutes. Watching it brought back some really nice memories of this game though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Some cool rear end stuff on this account, I've only been looking around for 20 mins or so

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1623662105848082432

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1615683067154161666

Lol.

Evil Eagle posted:

23.1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Master Mode, All 136 Shrines + the DLC dungeon

The DLC Divine Beast is so much better than any of the others, it's kind of crazy. The Champion's Ballad DLC overall is very high quality.

I got to floor 10 of the Trial of the Sword and decided to file that away for a very rainy day (never).

And here's my final map after beating Ganon again for the true ending.

BotW 2 when.

iirc this was without fast travel

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

wormskull streamer setup

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

mbt posted:

hail to the king, baby

hell yeah.

the Dark Age of Camelot map insert was hanging on the inside of my desk for like 10 years

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

mbt posted:

hail to the king, baby

god I remember having this map and trying to use both it and Morrowind's ingame vague directions to get to remote cave #2928 nearly drove me mad as a teen

10/10 gaming experience, recommend

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lol forgot about this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

crashing your car into a tree and exploding cos youre trying to find the right turn ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

tawal posted:

hell yeah.

the Dark Age of Camelot map insert was hanging on the inside of my desk for like 10 years

drat that brings me back. Still the only MMO I've ever played

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

just the way they have the story unfold utilizes the space so well. fly a jet across it, takes no time at all but when you first get dropped in the country area it feels like you truly are stuck in the middle of nowhere all of a sudden and it’s jarring. If that makes sense.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Autisanal Cheese posted:

god I remember having this map and trying to use both it and Morrowind's ingame vague directions to get to remote cave #2928 nearly drove me mad as a teen

10/10 gaming experience, recommend

worked on my machine

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If I remember correctly there's at least one part on that paper map that's outright wrong lol. I remember getting lost for what felt like hours when I was 12 gathering mushrooms on the Bitter Coast because I wasn't aware of the world map button. Eventually I found what I thought was civilisation but it was a Dunmer stronghold and a naked orc beat me to death with a warhammer. One of my best gaming memories

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

opening the overworld map during the initial trip from cassardis to gran soren in dragon’s dogma suggests a far larger explorable space than what’s actually in the game which is kind of disappointing when 100%ed but makes the game feel huge in the ‘first time in hyrule field’ way

gran soren itself is one of my favourite video game cities and has a very satisfying map

not pictured, the gaping hole in the middle of town (caxton, your beloved)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

MizuZero posted:

opening the overworld map during the initial trip from cassardis to gran soren in dragon’s dogma suggests a far larger explorable space than what’s actually in the game which is kind of disappointing when 100%ed but makes the game feel huge in the ‘first time in hyrule field’ way

gran soren itself is one of my favourite video game cities and has a very satisfying map

Very much agreed, I actually started a post abouy Gransys until I realized how unimpressive it looks fully zoomed out, I feel the in game map makes it feel a lot bigger than it is. Gran Soren on the other hand looks very impressive as a map, I love it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sub-Actuality posted:

Ultima VII had a cool map

beehold the ultima 1 map

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MizuZero posted:

:hai:

Getting lost while completely unprepared on some side quest that sent me north of Gran Soren is actually the closest I ever felt as an adult to the Morrowind experience I described earlier. Dragon's Dogma does an incredible job of seeming like a much more expensive world than it is. Gran Soren is just a genuinely great RPG city as well

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The game I would have made people play for game club if I had the month long pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms from Vanilla WoW, I know these places far too well. The way most zones were basically divided by being separated by mountains was genius, not a single loading screen unless you enter a dungeon, teleport or take a boat/zeppelin to the other continent. Azeroth really felt like this grand, interconnected world.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!