Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
anybody else mess with these. theyre neat imo https://retroachievements.org/

a bunch of different emulators can do them nowadays. retroarch is (unfortunately) the biggest one but more and more standalone emulators are adding support and thankfully bizhawk has it now too if you want a multi-system emulator that isn't miserable to use. theyre kinda the ideal implementation of the whole achievement thing to me, just good excuses to dig back into older games and maybe appreciate them more than you did before. like i always liked cosmic smash but going for the 100% made me consider the gameplay mechanics a lot more than i ever did. the one drawback is that since these are hacked in after the fact sometimes they can be a little buggy and not trigger. but they got a support ticket system and at the end of the day its just a bunch of people who like a game adding in little extra challenges so whatever. anyway its fun feel free to Follow me if you got an account https://retroachievements.org/user/sebmal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

no, i never will either op. the more i think about this the more it makes me sick.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

you just reminded me of the time i went into the Games thread for achievement hunting and they were posting about buying the same game on multiple accounts just so they could get the achievements more than once. It's sick poo poo OP, and you don't want any part of it.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

you just reminded me of the time i went into the Games thread for achievement hunting and they were posting about buying the same game on multiple accounts just so they could get the achievements more than once. It's sick poo poo OP, and you don't want any part of it.

What the gently caress?

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

that seems like a very games thing to do

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i checked it out. a lot if them look really bad and like they wouldn't be fun to achieve

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

thats another downside i guess, some of them are definitely made by obsessives who are trying to make the ultimate gamer challenge rather than something actually fun to do [kicks virtual boy wario land game club trophies under the rug]

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i think overall the majority of the ones ive come across are either fairly straightforward or specific but in a fun way though. that said dont look at the final fantasy 6 achievement list

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
some old games are good with achievements added but yeah sometimes it actively makes the game worse.

I bought MMX legacy collection when X1 was the game club game and worked on X2 after. They added a "don't get seen by any searchlights" one for whichever stage had em and I kept loving up and restarting to try again before I thought "the gently caress am I doing why not just play this fun snes game as it is"

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

i think overall the majority of the ones ive come across are either fairly straightforward or specific but in a fun way though. that said dont look at the final fantasy 6 achievement list

i wont

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I only recently discovered it and I like it OP, I don't really hunt down specific achievements unless it's a game I'm absolutely crazy about, but it's a decent way to keep track of classic stuff I've beaten and seeing meaningless numbers go up is fun

The site needs better community features for following or friending people and some of the sets they have up are bizarre, though

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like achievements and old games but don't want to touch the emulators it runs on. If it was honor system like izgc I would have been doing this for years

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

trying to jack off posted:

no, i never will either op. the more i think about this the more it makes me sick.

this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

elf help book posted:

I like achievements and old games but don't want to touch the emulators it runs on. If it was honor system like izgc I would have been doing this for years

if it's the purity of the achievements you want, you can enable hardcore mode which removes the ability to rewind, use save states, etc., and puts a little "HARDCORE" signifier and added points

the only thing it lets you do is fast forward which is awesome for stuff like the older Resident Evil games

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

elf help book posted:

now that bizhawk duckstation and pcsx2 support them the only time i have to touch retroarch is for dreamcast stuff and its been a godsend for getting me to actually engage with this

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Good soup! posted:

if it's the purity of the achievements you want, you can enable hardcore mode which removes the ability to rewind, use save states, etc., and puts a little "HARDCORE" signifier and added points

the only thing it lets you do is fast forward which is awesome for stuff like the older Resident Evil games

Honor system means I want the opposite of this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

elf help book posted:

Honor system means I want the opposite of this

lol gotcha nm

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i want on button fastforward to zip past jrpg battles which is simple thanks to the easily configurable retroarch key bindings. now this is pog

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

duh i should actually just post my profile, gently caress it: https://retroachievements.org/user/GoodSoup

I'm making my way through the Doom PSX port because I never beat it and it's super interesting because I only grew up with the PC version. No fuckin way am I getting all the 100% stuff though

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

retroachievements is merely a dollar store rip-off of Imp Zone Game Club

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

laoding up the DDoS right now, sir.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

i love the game club trophies but game club is about the people. about posting yumi saotome getting mad at me for saying dolphins are smart and getting emptyquotes from my friends. this is more solitary and impersonal. different feel. but also you're right and we should kill them

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

there's a bunch that are just like 'get 50 points on easy pacman' 'get 100 points on easy pacman' 'get 50 points on medium pacman' they must be really hard up for feelings of accomplishment if that's what they're into.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The most Games poo poo imaginable? And it's compatible with RetroArch, the program that's just a big useless steaming dog turd? Sounds hype.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's a cool site but 100% of the RPG achievement developers should be killed.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it doens't even have retroacheivements for japanese language games like tokimemo 1 and 2, linda cubed, giftpia etc., whats the point if i cant use it to show off and gloat that i can play many games ppl outside of japanene would like to but may neve rhave the opportunity to. total fail.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Old games are like the only game i can finish because they don’t have trophies I need to painstakingly hunt till I burn out lol

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

achievements are good when they push us to overcome or try something new, and bad when they reward us for things we would do anyway or for wasting our time. achievements for seeking out fun hidden content (achievements as hints) are ok. imo.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

(achievements as hints)

new concept: achievehints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

achievements would be cool if there was no way to ever know how many there were or what they were for in advance