Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
i'm still somewhat new to the hobby but i really enjoy spending an afternoon or two putting together a kit from a show i really like.

I accidentally broke the lance when i was posing him but it turned into a happy accident

i love zakus

the first two i made and a really enormous jump in difficulty lol

post yours too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Those look cool. I never got into the hobby but a buddy of mine sold model kits at conventions before the pandemic. I didn't realize you can't just buy those off like Amazon. Bandai Namco only sells them to dealers for some reason.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

herculon posted:

Those look cool. I never got into the hobby but a buddy of mine sold model kits at conventions before the pandemic. I didn't realize you can't just buy those off like Amazon. Bandai Namco only sells them to dealers for some reason.

You can buy them off amazon, from some reseller at 300% markup

was thinking of getting one of these and putting it together with my daughter who is really good at arts and crafts stuff

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks cool OP. Twould be neat to put together some Evas

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i have a model kit of a robot from super robot wars that i bought from toysrus.com like 15 years go almost entirely because i thought it was weird toys r us was selling plamo kits and then i remembered i'm a clumsy dumbass so i havent tried to assemble it in that time

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Gunpla FTMFW

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looks cool OP. Twould be neat to put together some Evas

if you're lucky the kit will come with a mini misato

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Uncle Frank posted:

if you're lucky the kit will come with a mini misato

my wife...

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i used to put these together back in high school but idk if i have any of them any more. had a zaku (obligatory) and an epyon from wing and I think a few of the other suits from wing as well. gunpla rules and great models, dude

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gunpla kicks rear end, my one buddys fuckin good at kitbashing and he puts together some cool stuff. i'll grab some photos when i talk to him later

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
fun! i love gunpla! some recent builds (some still need their dry transfer/water slide decals, just need to have a "patience day" for those):

right now, i have quite the backlog :sweatdrop:

but that didn't stop me from pre-ordering this beautiful thing. arrives tomorrow...... :woop:

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

pragmatica ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that deathscythe one looks cool. wish i didnt have big mitten hands nd could do gunpla lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Pragmatica posted:

fun! i love gunpla! some recent builds (some still need their dry transfer/water slide decals, just need to have a "patience day" for those):

but that didn't stop me from pre-ordering this beautiful thing. arrives tomorrow...... :woop:

sick! I have a huge perfect grade Zaku II I should take pics of

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

oh sick great loving work

French Accent posted:

pragmatica ftw

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Pragmatica posted:

The sailor moon (Valor gundam?) one is insanely sick. I was also scared of waterslides before trying them. Even after doing a few I have still have some to do for a death stranding reverse trike that I just know I'm going to gently caress up lol

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

That Little Demon posted:

sick! I have a huge perfect grade Zaku II I should take pics of

i still havent built a huge perfect grade, i really should but it is so hard to pick and so many i want are insanely expensive at this point. would love to see :)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Pragmatica posted:

oh hell yeah

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Uncle Frank posted:

The sailor moon (Valor gundam?) one is insanely sick. I was also scared of waterslides before trying them. Even after doing a few I have still have some to do for a death stranding reverse trike that I just know I'm going to gently caress up lol

thats Nobell in berserker mode (g gundam). she is one of my favorites and wish i could get something larger than a 1/144 for her.

edit: oh also, water slides or dry transfers are so loving annoying. its like the one thing about gunpla i lose my patience with. even hundreds of models later, i still hate it as soon as i am at that part lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
my first graphic design job's office had a sideroom almost literally full floor to ceiling with gunpla boxes + multiple glass cases of finished ones. dude was living the dream

havent built one in a while but during summer vacations in my sleepy hometown these were the poo poo. IIRC I did an Eva-01, a deathscythe, and a... rounded purpley gundam? lol had only read a couple issues of the comic at that point so had no context, but how much do you really need

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got two EVA real grades from the remake films

I've made EVA unit 01 and have unit 00 still in packaging. I really need to pick up unit 02 for the full set when I can. I did gently caress up early on though because I didn't understand the sticker labelling having two separate sets of the same numbers and put some in retarded places before having to remove and restock them.

They're really authentic and even have the red orb cores even though you can't see them at all when built, and even pilot plugs you can take in and out.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

I got two EVA real grades from the remake films

I've made EVA unit 01 and have unit 00 still in packaging. I really need to pick up unit 02 for the full set when I can. I did gently caress up early on though because I didn't understand the sticker labelling having two separate sets of the same numbers and put some in retarded places before having to remove and restock them.

They're really authentic and even have the red orb cores even though you can't see them at all when built, and even pilot plugs you can take in and out.

That's badass

Prag yours are awesome too

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
Yeah when I saw the cores I knew I was in deep. I'm only missing a unit 0 and 2 for the full line up. I got a 2 that was labeled as "limited grade" not knowing at the time that was like a euphemism label for 20 year-old unsold stock. It's the only kit that I could tell was "poor" quality just from assembling parts of it. And the RG line you can buy now are really good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Deathscythe ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Where do you buy the kits from anyway

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Most from my local game shop and the more special things like the evas from us gundam or Bandai's website.

e: hobbylinkjapan is ftw as well BUT only when they're doing shipping deals lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got mine off amazon but they only seem to have cheap lovely ones now. Found this website a few mins ago and they had unit 02 for like 30% cheaper than amazon (when they had them). So picked it up. I got burnt on the international shipping but assuming US won't be that bad.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

i always try to support local shops when possible. sometimes at cons, sometimes online. usually online is for pre-order or really hard to find stuff.

unfortunately, my local shop closed, then re-opened/moved to a creepy warehouse location that i haven't adventured into yet. here are some good photos of it before they moved. so much inventory. lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pragmatica posted:

i always try to support local shops when possible. sometimes at cons, sometimes online. usually online is for pre-order or really hard to find stuff.

unfortunately, my local shop closed, then re-opened/moved to a creepy warehouse location that i haven't adventured into yet. here are some good photos of it before they moved. so much inventory. lol

Hell yeah

There’s some really nice hobby shops in Dublin so I try to buy there when I can

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Pragmatica posted:

I wonder if I can find a place like this in my neck of the woods. I've never had any interest in this kind of thing before, but would be cool to find one I know nothing about and put it together, just for me.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Leadthumb posted:

I wonder if I can find a place like this in my neck of the woods. I've never had any interest in this kind of thing before, but would be cool to find one I know nothing about and put it together, just for me.

this is really the best way to get started. just buy a cheap but modern high grade kit that looks really cool to you, some entry level plastic nippers (~$20), and follow the instructions.

i say the "but modern" part because some older/cheaper models require plastic cement or glue, and its no fun for your first model to figure that poo poo out. modern models are mostly all snap tight at this point. :cheers:

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

just did an embarrassingly long effortpost in the adtrw gunpla thread but didnt know this was here. i guess i got imp avatar'd so to celebrate here's an abridged post. i did a custom paint job for the first time

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Leadthumb posted:

I've noticed that places like target and Barnes & Noble have started selling High Grade kits. One of those along with nippers and a soft file and you're good to go.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

JoeGlassJAw posted:

just did an embarrassingly long effortpost in the adtrw gunpla thread but didnt know this was here. i guess i got imp avatar'd so to celebrate here's an abridged post. i did a custom paint job for the first time

It looks good!

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i really want to build a zaku. gunpla is insanely expensive to import and my local store gets a handful of them once a year or something. heres hoping.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It doesn't look like either of the game stores near me have them. Might have to check out B&N, thanks all

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

im glad that they're putting out more xenogears model kits so i can actually get them this time, but they're all unpainted so guess im going to have to learn that at some point.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Unit 3 doing what it does best

Maybe my most difficult build. Missing all its water slides lol (and a dusting)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Fell into the hobby this winter and got a bunch of maschinen Krieger kits (amongst a lot of other things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Nice