Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Odddzy posted:

Fell into the hobby this winter and got a bunch of maschinen Krieger kits (amongst a lot of other things)

love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Pragmatica posted:

this is really the best way to get started. just buy a cheap but modern high grade kit that looks really cool to you, some entry level plastic nippers (~$20), and follow the instructions.

i say the "but modern" part because some older/cheaper models require plastic cement or glue, and its no fun for your first model to figure that poo poo out. modern models are mostly all snap tight at this point. :cheers:

does this apply to all types of models now? I found the glue poo poo was a huge barrier to entry when I was younger and wanted to build cars and jets.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Odddzy posted:

Fell into the hobby this winter and got a bunch of maschinen Krieger kits (amongst a lot of other things)

It's cool that you went for the most insane stuff first lol. These are cool as hell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Uncle Frank posted:

Unit 3 doing what it does best

Maybe my most difficult build. Missing all its water slides lol (and a dusting)

lol sick

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Uncle Frank posted:

Unit 3 doing what it does best

Maybe my most difficult build. Missing all its water slides lol (and a dusting)

DS trike so sick. wanted to pick that up with the figma Sam but couldn't fit it in the budget. also wish Eva 03 came with long arms tho, only reason i passed on it

here's mine

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

JoeGlassJAw posted:

DS trike so sick. wanted to pick that up with the figma Sam but couldn't fit it in the budget. also wish Eva 03 came with long arms tho, only reason i passed on it

here's mine

that at field looks so cool

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah that AT field is sick

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I don't have the manual dexterity for this stuff but it's so loving cool

copy
Jul 26, 2007

need to make gunpla a website or something then you'll blow it out of the water

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah it catches the light in such a cool way. also that one glows in the dark

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

JoeGlassJAw posted:

sick!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

JoeGlassJAw posted:

that looks kickass lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

JoeGlassJAw posted:

loving cool

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

JoeGlassJAw posted:

unit 1 ftw

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

dude what is this model called and dont loving tell me it costs loving 300 dollars when it was in production 10 years ago

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bolverkur posted:

dude what is this model called and dont loving tell me it costs loving 300 dollars when it was in production 10 years ago

Pretty sure this is the series I have

EVANGELION - RG UNIT-01 - Model Kit Multicolor BAS5058925

oh yeah cashola wise I got the unit 02 last night and it was 50-60 quid which iirc is similar to what I paid for 01 and 00 two years ago

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

well. the one that glows in the dark and comes with the AT field is called "RG eva 01 night combat color" and it was 61 dollars when it was in production 2 years ago

unfortunately both of mine were P-Bandai exclusives and the aftermarket prices are rough but like, $120-$150 rough, not $300. the one EmmyOk mentioned is the standard release and looking at pre-orders is getting another printing in the next month or so

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ya mine only came with a gun and knife no badass at field! Was in storage so not sure about the glow in the dark. Super good quality and lots of detail in the build!

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

That's me.

I've got around ten kits coming in the mail and some photoetch add-ons for some Macross ships and a Yamato 1:450 sized kit. My girlfriend is going to be pissed twice, first when they come in and then a few days later when a few figurines that couldn't get shipped the first time arrive.

One of the photoetch kits is going on this ship;

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
New project:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Odddzy posted:

New project:

Badass

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Odddzy posted:

New project:

woah cool

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i did a few gundam builds many years ago, i think they actually were selling them at wal-mart back then? anyway this thread is really making me want to build a kit lol. it's sick to have a fully articulated little gundam guy

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

dump the bitch. its over

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Odddzy posted:

New project:

oh poo poo

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Odddzy posted:

New project:

I just know this is going to be sick

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
Batmobile

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Ya mine only came with a gun and knife no badass at field! Was in storage so not sure about the glow in the dark. Super good quality and lots of detail in the build!

Lol just preordered :D

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Odddzy posted:

New project:

cool

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

right arm posted:

Lol just preordered :D

Nice! I think you’ll definitley be happy with it!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Odddzy posted:

New project:

oh poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Once we’re moved into our new place I’m gonna order my first one. Probably gonna go with Eva Unit 01

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Went to a couple local hobby stores today but all they seemed to sell were those pop vinyls, like whole walls full of them. I'll have to do some research to find a good store.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I was just in my local shop to get stuff for my kid's scout pinecar. Apparently their big thing is 40k but they had a couple shelves of gunpla so I might give it a try

While I was in there a guy who identified himself as one of New Jersey's top five Yu Gi Oh players was talking with the owner about getting into the competitive WH40k scene.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

P-Mack posted:

While I was in there a guy who identified himself as one of New Jersey's top five Yu Gi Oh players was talking with the owner about getting into the competitive WH40k scene.

this is the hobby shop equivalent of when michael jordan tried to play baseball

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Odddzy posted:

New project:

dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

JoeGlassJAw posted:

this is the hobby shop equivalent of when michael jordan tried to play baseball