Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slTHHXWNG4Y

I don't think I ever figured out how to set up my sound card, I just sort of guessed from game to game

PC gaming in the 80s-90s was a weird and fun time. Trying every shareware game on every disk you could find, hoping to discover gold, and hitting amazing highs and bizarre lows. No matter how good the game was, my mom never let me order any through the mail, though

Anyone else spend time scrolling through order screens in Apogee and Epic (Mega)games, wondering how all the rest of the levels for the games were like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That second to last screenshot is a copy of another shareware piece of poo poo RPG that had a bar wench with huge tits instead of an ugly guy, that I remember from childhood.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

capture the flag was tite. thank you jdr of happypuppy.com for gieving it the puppys paw print award or whatever.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Light Puffballs: raise stats
Dark Puffballs: drain stats, make sure to kill with a guaranteed hit like Magic Zap.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

as a kid raised on doom, I was personally offended by Operation: Body Count tracing over doom sprites

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

quality

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

my parents bought me the full games of commander keen, secret agent, mystic towers, and stargunner.

i always wanted major stryker and raptor but i only had the shareware versions. major stryker was pretty lovely but raptor is an all time great

i am the only person i know irl who ever bought apogee games

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

let's all play some CHOPPER COMMANDO

https://classicreload.com/chopper-commando.html

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

10-year-old me: every kind of game??????? whoa

reality:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

poking around the warcraft 2 cd and thinking this was the funniest thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwWh1xy6gvU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Metzen artwork FTW.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my favorite thing about dos was having 20 fuckin boot disks with different driver configurations to get all the conventional memory piles running porperly like ultaim 7, vga sierra games, betrayal at krondor, etc. thank you bill microsoft.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

the Sidewinder 3D Pro was a cool joystick with some weird driver issues, it felt like all the games I played needed some extra boot disk or setup bullshit. I have a distinct memory of it being a pain in the rear end to work with Tie Fighter

I guess that means it wasn't very cool, in hindsight

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
you've played jill of the jungle

but have you played the reskin/remix they made for christian bookstores

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feeling like Michael Bolton trying to get the sound card and video mode configured. IRQ7? What the gently caress does that mean

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

chopper commando loving owns

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
the executable for this one was a .bat file :xd:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Kins posted:

you've played jill of the jungle

but have you played the reskin/remix they made for christian bookstores

lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

bees x1000 posted:

Dark Puffballs: drain stats, make sure to kill with a guaranteed hit like Magic Zap.

gently caress yeah.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

loved loving up every surgery in this one

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The music in Zone 66 was cool even if the game wasn't particularly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zuwIQ3Y6ck

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Haven’t thought of this in years

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Every few years I repeat a cycle of remembering a side scroller I used to love, only to immediately forget the name and any hint of what the title might have been

I finally remembered it again but maybe if I post it my broken rear end brain will actually hold on to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taKdmKdRoqM

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What’s the coolest thing anyone had to type from the manual for anti piracy purposes.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Wormskull posted:

What’s the coolest thing anyone had to type from the manual for anti piracy purposes.

Entire spell incantations with proper capitalization and punctuation in King's Quest 3. And if you missed a period or something you got a game over.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Turn to page XXV
1.put the mandrake root powder in a bowl
2.put the cat hair in the bowl
3.put two spoons of fish oil in the bowl
4.stir mixture with a spoon
5.put the dough into a cookie
7.recite this verse:
mandrake root and hair of cat
mix oil of fish and give a pat
a feline from the one who eats
this appetizing magic treat
8.wave the magic wand

You had to type all this poo poo verbatim or your character would explode or something. Although I'm pretty sure the spell incantation had punctuation and poo poo, idk I looked this up on gamefaqs.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

the coolest one was the stupid decoder wheel from monkey island. i think space quest 5 had a sort of cute one where you had to have the manual to type coordinates to one of the planets that was only in the star map in the manual.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

mysterious loyall X posted:

the coolest one was the stupid decoder wheel from monkey island. i think space quest 5 had a sort of cute one where you had to have the manual to type coordinates to one of the planets that was only in the star map in the manual.

Yeah Space Quest 5 was packaged with a fake magazine with articles and stuff related to the game world, and one of the pages had a starmap with all the coordinates to the planets. Space quest 6 did something similar with creating the homing beacon but instead of giving you the solution outright it was only a vague hint on what to do iirc? Me and my brother got stuck making the homing beacon for a long time since the hints weren't helpful and we didn't have easy access to looking up the solution back then.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh yeah the sq6 one you had to do math and poo poo or something. and it was a cd game so it was even weirder to have copy protection since no one had 1000 dollar cdr drives in 1994 or w/e

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

love this game. good music too

quotes =/= endorsements

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
oh and lemmings 3d which was that point where games were venturing into 3d but it looked like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72lgCDdR0s

quotes =/= endorsements

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

I'm mad somebody beat me to posting about Steve Moraff. I've actually finished Moraff's world but never managed to beat the final boss of Dungeons of the Unforgiven. Here's some fanart I managed to find at some point.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Craig K posted:

oh and lemmings 3d which was that point where games were venturing into 3d but it looked like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72lgCDdR0s

my god this looks terribly unfun

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

capture the flag was tite. thank you jdr of happypuppy.com for gieving it the puppys paw print award or whatever.

thats how i found it as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I hadn't thought about this game in decades and it just popped into my head.
At ten I thought the whole thing was very badass and original but of course I had never heard of Escape from New York.