Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

my god this looks terribly unfun
looks can be deceiving!!

not this time tho it sucks poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

The Kins posted:

looks can be deceiving!!

not this time tho it sucks poo poo lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L9Z8Wt6rWY

here's a bunch of blocks laid out haphazardly and nothing else. you have barely enough builders to finish the level if you play it perfectly. good luck lol

gently caress this level.

quotes =/= endorsements

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
there was another lemmings game after that but it was both for windows and it was so nondescript i legitimately do not remember anything about it

quotes =/= endorsements

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Craig K posted:

there was another lemmings game after that but it was both for windows and it was so nondescript i legitimately do not remember anything about it
I think that one was made as a tie in for a tv show by the Jim Henson workshop that ended up never getting made? One of those late ones that got farmed out to other companies after DMA went 100% GTA was, at any rate

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There was Lemmings Paintball which I thought for the longest time was on DOS but nope I was wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9WGI7rB3ZA

Anyone ever play Lemmings 2, I remember seeing the box in stores and liking the cover at least, but never got it

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 24, 2023

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

New IZ progect: convince them to remake Blake Stone in the style of doomy turtle.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Kongming posted:

Turn to page XXV
1.put the mandrake root powder in a bowl
2.put the cat hair in the bowl
3.put two spoons of fish oil in the bowl
4.stir mixture with a spoon
5.put the dough into a cookie
7.recite this verse:
mandrake root and hair of cat
mix oil of fish and give a pat
a feline from the one who eats
this appetizing magic treat
8.wave the magic wand

You had to type all this poo poo verbatim or your character would explode or something. Although I'm pretty sure the spell incantation had punctuation and poo poo, idk I looked this up on gamefaqs.

lol cool

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
secret agent I played to death but probably wasn't that good. don't wanna revisit to find out

Day of the tentacle is goated

also leisure suit larry lol. Had to get parent or older sibling to help with the quiz at the start that doesn't let you play if you get it wrong because it means you're not an adult

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

secret agent I played to death but probably wasn't that good. don't wanna revisit to find out

Played a poo poo ton of this as well as Crystal Caves which was pretty much the same game. I have the lovely PC speaker sound effects burned into my brain

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Played a poo poo ton of this as well as Crystal Caves which was pretty much the same game. I have the lovely PC speaker sound effects burned into my brain

crystal caves features a proto rodbeard av

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm still impressed by the ambition certain games had on PC during that time

the Dynamix-made Die Hard in the late 80s may have been awkward as poo poo to play, but it stuck oddly close to the movie and even had different endings IIRC (lol at the one in the video where Holly dies at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7D1q9kLdPc

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

What’s the coolest thing anyone had to type from the manual for anti piracy purposes.

stronghold. standard look at page look at word copy protection but we lost the manual (i thnk my brother stole it so actually we never had it) so we couldnt play it until one day i managed to randomly guess the word and we got to play it for like a week with the computer on 24/7. unfortunately we got murked by carrion crawlers nd after we game overed we never got to play it again

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

crystal caves features a proto rodbeard av

lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Can't forget Catacomb 3D an Id first person shooter from before Wolfenstein 3D

I would love to see a modern high res game done up in the cartoonish 256 color palette of old DOS games.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In order to play starcontrol you had to line up three passwords on the decoder wheel and then give the correct response to the alien words it also prompted you with.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
shoutout to ultima 7 for making me physically ill from its insane perspective as a kid

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

shoutout to ultima 7 for making me physically ill from its insane perspective as a kid

lol same

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
even looking at a screenshot makes me feel dizzy lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don’t remember ever playing a game that had anti-piracy stuff like that, and we had a ton of pirated games that my uncle gave us lol.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Uncle at IBM

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Indianapolis 500 had an especially boring antipiracy system where you just looked in the back of the manual for info on winning vehicles and drivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFqmzVhsgcU

My dad didn't quite like my idea of racing was just going in the opposite direction and slamming into oncoming cars as hard as possible though

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
We had a cracked copy of Prince of Persia but no manual, so we had to run through the first level and drink two copy protection potions. If one of them was right we got to play the rest of the game but usually we just had to start the game over.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I had a buddy in high school that would go to Wal-Mart and remove the CD keys or manuals from the games

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

Uncle at IBM

My uncle works for commodore and he told me that if you type in load,9,* you can play the version of Great Gianna Sisters where they’re hot babes with big bazonkas

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Starsiege Tribes was ripped off from Lemmings, it's canon

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don’t remember ever playing a game that had anti-piracy stuff like that, and we had a ton of pirated games that my uncle gave us lol.

it was really easy to find programs that would crack hundreds of games on usenet or irc or w/e. or ppl would just post what hex values to edit in a games executable w/ the hex editor in dos since most copy protection wasn't very sophisticated.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

I had a buddy in high school that would go to Wal-Mart and remove the CD keys or manuals from the games

dude you went to high school with john wayne gacy

copy
Jul 26, 2007

island of doctor brain had that kind of anti-piracy stuff stuff where you needed to find the lat/long of the island based on prompts the game gave and info in the manual before you could play. honestly respect the chutzpah a edutainment dev has to include that now that i think about it lol.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

herculon posted:

Fungah! posted:

dude you went to high school with john wayne gacy

lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

copy posted:

island of doctor brain had that kind of anti-piracy stuff stuff where you needed to find the lat/long of the island based on prompts the game gave and info in the manual before you could play. honestly respect the chutzpah a edutainment dev has to include that now that i think about it lol.

Oh I forgot about Doctor Brain. Those games all ruled

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

haunted bong posted:

My uncle works for commodore and he told me that if you type in load,9,* you can play the version of Great Gianna Sisters where they’re hot babes with big bazonkas

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

Oh I forgot about Doctor Brain. Those games all ruled

they all ruled. i think i actually personally owned a copy of the timewarp and lost mind that i got from one of those book sale things my school did

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

copy posted:

they all ruled. i think i actually personally owned a copy of the timewarp and lost mind that i got from one of those book sale things my school did

book fairs ftw. A highlight of the year for sure

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

book fairs ftw. A highlight of the year for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002