Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arch Nemesis posted:

book fairs ftw. A highlight of the year for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I got a lot of Garfield from those book fairs.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Arch Nemesis posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Book fairs were how I got Sim City 2000, Sim Copter, Myst, and a cartoon maker that is now torturing me because I can picture it vividly but have no idea what it was called. You could set characters to have different poses and even change the tones of their voices, all of which were done through Microsoft Sam-like interpreters

Anyways....Hugo's House of Horrors??? I'm nostalgic for it even though my brother and I hated it

After a trio of adventure games, they tried their hand at a Wolf 3D clone with dubious results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrT-19uz-pI

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

GOG's Dangerous Dave Pack hasn't gone on sale in more than 4 years. I will buy it when it does.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

One of the few dos games I finished as a kid out of the stack of burnt CDs my grandma had was the Legend of Kyrandia

the most memorable thing about this game is the dark cave you have to drop glowing berries on the ground to keep lit, and if you enter a dark room without one you die. Always heard the direct sequel was really good but I never played it, and the one after that where you play as the villain from the first game is one of the most confusing games I ever played as a kid

Good soup! posted:

Anyways....Hugo's House of Horrors??? I'm nostalgic for it even though my brother and I hated it

played through this on the early america online section that had downloadable dos games, I dont remember what it was called anymore

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Good soup! posted:

Anyone ever play Lemmings 2, I remember seeing the box in stores and liking the cover at least, but never got it

TCRF posted:

If the game is installed to a hard drive, and the installation is subsequently copied to a different hard drive, an anti-piracy measure takes effect: only the first level of each of the 12 tribes will be playable. The precise authentication mechanism apparently relies on the game being installed to a FAT16 partition at the start of the drive; while this was a common setup at the time of the game's release, a crack tends to be necessary to install and run the game on a FAT32 partition.

bane of my childhood lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOOq3Ifdn0

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

honestly lemmings sucks lol, the best part was blowing them all up. know idea why it was so popular

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Craig K posted:

bane of my childhood lol

lol what the gently caress, that sucks

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

trying to jack off posted:

honestly lemmings sucks lol, the best part was blowing them all up. know idea why it was so popular

I think it kicks rear end.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

One of the few dos games I finished as a kid out of the stack of burnt CDs my grandma had was the Legend of Kyrandia

the most memorable thing about this game is the dark cave you have to drop glowing berries on the ground to keep lit, and if you enter a dark room without one you die. Always heard the direct sequel was really good but I never played it, and the one after that where you play as the villain from the first game is one of the most confusing games I ever played as a kid

played through this on the early america online section that had downloadable dos games, I dont remember what it was called anymore

I never played that one or the third one but I did have the second, Hand of Fate:

I think it was the first point-and-click games I actually finished without giving up. Pretty awesome worldbuilding, all things considered.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I never played that one or the third one but I did have the second, Hand of Fate:

I think it was the first point-and-click games I actually finished without giving up. Pretty awesome worldbuilding, all things considered.

I need to play it sometime, that looks awesome

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

all 3 krynadia games are pretty good iirc. they also run in scummvm now. thank you scummvm

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The first adventure game I ever beat was Space Quest III and I still love the hell out of it

Also count me as one of the weirdos that also loved Space Quest VI

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Some of my best gaming memories is when I would boot a new game on the home computer and the Apogee logo would appear, I loved those games.

One Must Fall 2047(?) Was also an incredible gem I'd recommend to anyone into fighters, the championship mode had a cool system where as a manager you had to invest in the actual machine the fighter uses and had to go to harder tournaments to get more prize money to invest in your mecha.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 25, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Good soup! posted:

Also count me as one of the weirdos that also loved Space Quest VI

I loved Space Quest VI, and was disappointed to find out its predecessors didn't have so much voice acting.

That was the second point-and-click game I ever finished, despite not having a manual. As far as copy protection goes, Space Quest VI's was particularly annoying.

Not really understood all the hate for it, but it was the first game in the series I played.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

even looking at a screenshot makes me feel dizzy lol

I looked at it for about 5 seconds and started to feel uncomfortable. like the onset of car sickness.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I loved Space Quest VI, and was disappointed to find out its predecessors didn't have so much voice acting.

That was the second point-and-click game I ever finished, despite not having a manual. As far as copy protection goes, Space Quest VI's was particularly annoying.

Not really understood all the hate for it, but it was the first game in the series I played.

The sad thing is that they had plans for a "talkie" version of Space Quest V which would have been awesome, given it's a straight Star Trek: The Next Generation parody, and definitely misses out by not having voices. I think they got so far as starting the casting proceses, but the budget just wasn't there for it, so it was scrapped

VI had some genuinely funny narration by Gary Owens, but also came with some dogshit puzzles like having to assemble the fake Roger decoy out of the food in the brig. I still like a lot of the gags and the visuals are nice

Also that transcoder puzzle or whatever it was called was incomprehensible for my kid-self and my older brother didn't have much luck, that thing was complete horseshit, good god

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Odddzy posted:

Some of my best gaming memories is when I would boot a new game on the home computer and the Apogee logo would appear, I loved those games.

One Must Fall 2047(?) Was also an incredible gem I'd recommend to anyone into fighters, the championship mode had a cool system where as a manager you had to invest in the actual machine the fighter uses and had to go to harder tournaments to get more prize money to invest in your mecha.

I played a ton of One Must Fall but never got the full version, just the shareware over and over

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

I played a ton of One Must Fall but never got the full version, just the shareware over and over
it was made free back in the early-mid 2000s, well worth a look if you liked the shareware

there was also a sequel for windows, it was... unfortunate, let's leave it at that

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The One Must Fall sequel was the first game I ever got chosen to be a beta tester for.

I'm convinced they actively hated all the feedback they got because it was dogshit from start to finish as far as development goes

e: OMF2097 was an oddly solid fighter for its time and holds up decently, I'd love to see a studio take a crack at remaking or remastering it

also thatt menu theme loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVnKYcYi3g

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 25, 2023

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

all the old epic mega games were cool because they had amiga nerds to use sampling and tracker software to make .mods intead of using internal sound cards effects. thank you tim epic for everthing but especially fortnite.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember playing I.M. Meen at school at my teacher got super annoyed that the weapon of choice were your fists, and she insisted I look for magic wands and other projectiles or ELSE

Aside from doing grammar questions and other puzzles in between Wolfenstein 3D sections, it had an infamous musical opening that is terrible and was animated by the same studio that did the CD-I Zelda games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCLqC73H6c

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still one of the best game dev stories

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Good soup! posted:

lol all time great

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Good soup! posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good soup! posted:

Lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

In an era when we got horrendous console ports like the original Street Fighter 2 and those EGA Mega Man games, the DOS port of Mega Man X is amazing imo

Fun fact, the first time I beat MMX was on PC with a fuckin Gravis GamePad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDDXBJ2DsQ

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Lol. Reminds me of when I played QfG3 recently and I threw a spear at a target and a window popped up that just "Oops!" and it crashed to desktop.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Good soup! posted:

with a fuckin Gravis GamePad

its not your fault

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I had to put some silly putty on the dpad because it had that stupid rear end hole you could screw a tiny, useless joystick into it. Otherwise it would dig into your thumb and wreck your poo poo

The Pro was a decent upgrade as it was essentially a PS1 controller but they still kept the joystick thing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good soup! posted:

stupid rear end hole

This is not okay. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i don't envy the pixel artists of old who had to make everything look as close to the same as they could on 27 different graphics and hardware standards that all had less than nothing in common and probably didn't even come from the same planet.

(from dragonstrike, a weird dragon flight simulator)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Kins posted:

i don't envy the pixel artists of old who had to make everything look as close to the same as they could on 27 different graphics and hardware standards that all had less than nothing in common and probably didn't even come from the same planet.

(from dragonstrike, a weird dragon flight simulator)

loving cool looking

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Good soup! posted:

e: OMF2097 was an oddly solid fighter for its time and holds up decently, I'd love to see a studio take a crack at remaking or remastering it
There's an open source remake in the works over at https://www.openomf.org/ :)

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Drinkslinger posted:

There's an open source remake in the works over at https://www.openomf.org/ :)

:eyepop::vince: I have had a rough few weeks personally and this made me happy, can't wait to share with my brother lol, thanks dude :respek: