Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

This caused me to run out of the room screaming when I was watching my brother play Space Quest III

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Kongming posted:

This caused me to run out of the room screaming when I was watching my brother play Space Quest III

I wanted to live inside the garbage freighter lol. That place was cozy if you stayed away from the trash elevator and watched your step. I think we later tag teamed the whole game with my brother when we actually knew some english.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

In the early nineties, visiting our cousins meant obsessively playing this for a few hours on their fancy IBM Aptiva:

hell yeah

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Loved this little gray dude.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Kongming posted:

lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
The nightmare on elm street roguelike was/is insanely based. Highly recommend playing it

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Kongming posted:

oh man, same lol

I avoided that game specifically for years because of that specific image, but Laura Bow I was somehow ok with

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Kongming posted:

lol

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

going on Doom logic here

1. 80-100 health
2. 60–79 health
3. 20-39 health
4: dead

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Drinkslinger posted:

going on Doom logic here

1. 80-100 health
2. 60–79 health
3. 20-39 health
4: dead

You're still alive in the 4th one.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My two earliest introductions to strategy games were Warcraft and mother fuckin Battle Bugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGHlL5jySU

It was kid-friendly, but I remember the later maps could get challenging in terms of restricting what units you had out on the field. The video above doesn't have the speech from the little commander bug during the briefings, but it was always just very simple lines. You would move bugs around the map and when selected it would pause the game to give you a chance to direct your dudes around, and objectives were varied - hold this piece of food, kill the other bugs, etc.

The background art had some nice details and there was a good sense of scale with navigating around stuff like books, cups, plates, food crumbs, and you even had extra items like stink bombs and dynamite to strategize with to dish out extra damage or stuns and such

Also, completely randomly, it has a a surprisingly faithful port to the PS1 that was Japan-only and featured a completely different art style, soundtrack, and sounds, but the missions are drat near 1:1 with the original DOS version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdwH0Fzkhys

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Good soup! posted:

Also, completely randomly, it has a a surprisingly faithful port to the PS1 that was Japan-only and featured a completely different art style, soundtrack, and sounds, but the missions are drat near 1:1 with the original DOS version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdwH0Fzkhys
this happened sometimes. look up the japanese console port of the incredible toon machine/sid & al's incredible toons that was given a ghouls & ghosts reskin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrpcDNuxuJY

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Kins posted:

this happened sometimes. look up the japanese console port of the incredible toon machine/sid & al's incredible toons that was given a ghouls & ghosts reskin!

holy poo poo that is rad

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The Kins posted:

Sub-Actuality posted:

holy poo poo that is rad

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Leadthumb posted:

You're still alive in the 4th one.
Never played a Space Quest game but it was arguably a reasonable assumption.

Also, my day off today, so I'm gonna seek out and play Space Quest games for the first time. Should I start with the first one and play in chronological order, or is there a definitive "best game" in the series?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Drinkslinger posted:

Those 4 are from arachniphobia.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

...I'm not doing well in here right now. I'll settle for looking up the Space Quest games.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Drinkslinger posted:

Also, my day off today, so I'm gonna seek out and play Space Quest games for the first time. Should I start with the first one and play in chronological order, or is there a definitive "best game" in the series?

I like pretty much all of them except 2 which I only played once a long time ago and never bothered to replay so I don't remember much of it. 3 is definitely the best of the text parser games, imo. One of the writers left after 4, so 5 and 6 have a different tone to them, with 5 being a straight up Star Trek parody.

Space Quest 4 in particular I remember having a lot of "no win" situations if you miss an item in one of the time periods. Like getting the jar of slime in the sewers. Another example is when you enter the time machine for the first time, a code will be displayed on the screen. You have to write this code down before you do anything else because you need it to get back to the time period you're in, and I think it's randomly generated each game so if you start pressing buttons right away you're screwed. Having said that the game is very short so it's not catastrophic if you have to start over, but it sometimes is not very obvious what it is you missed.

Edit: I looked it up and the code to get to the original time period is not random, so I guess you can look that up if you forget. Oops.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 15, 2023

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Kongming posted:

I like pretty much all of them except 2 which I only played once a long time ago and never bothered to replay so I don't remember much of it. 3 is definitely the best of the text parser games, imo. One of the writers left after 4, so 5 and 6 have a different tone to them, with 5 being a straight up Star Trek parody.

Space Quest 4 in particular I remember having a lot of "no win" situations if you miss an item in one of the time periods. Like getting the jar of slime in the sewers. Another example is when you enter the time machine for the first time, a code will be displayed on the screen. You have to write this code down before you do anything else because you need it to get back to the time period you're in, and I think it's randomly generated each game so if you start pressing buttons right away you're screwed. Having said that the game is very short so it's not catastrophic if you have to start over, but it sometimes is not very obvious what it is you missed.

Edit: I looked it up and the code to get to the original time period is not random, so I guess you can look that up if you forget. Oops.
Thanks for the advice - I got Return to Zork bundled with a PC back in the mid-90s so I'm used to adventure games loving me over on the first screen :v:

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Oh yeah Space Quest 4 is also notable for being one of the first point and click adventure games Sierra made, instead of text parser. It includes a Nose and a Mouth icon, which I don't think any other game used. They weren't needed to solve any puzzles but it was fun to click them on stuff. This is my favorite message you get from clicking the ground at the start of the game with the mouth icon

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Kongming posted:

Oh yeah Space Quest 4 is also notable for being one of the first point and click adventure games Sierra made, instead of text parser. It includes a Nose and a Mouth icon, which I don't think any other game used. They weren't needed to solve any puzzles but it was fun to click them on stuff. This is my favorite message you get from clicking the ground at the start of the game with the mouth icon

Lmao

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Play Space Quest 1 VGA first. They remade it with point and click. It's very good and the humor holds up.

Edit: pretty sure you can play it in scummVM too

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Kongming posted:

the vga remake of space quest 1 has the nose and maybe the taste icon idr. anyway if you smell a grate at one point it says "it smells grate." thank you two guys from andromeda. i THINK the only other thing sniffing does is give hits and also insta kills you if you sniff a bottle of poison.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

Play Space Quest 1 VGA first. They remade it with point and click. It's very good and the humor holds up.

Edit: pretty sure you can play it in scummVM too

the number of games the current version of scummvm supports is pretty nuts. every sierra and lucasarts game works basically except maybe real late fmv stuff like phantasmagoria 2 idk. most of westwoods adventure games work so you can play the krynadia games and blade runner (the original is much better than the bad remake/remaster from a few years ago). i think in the past year or so they incorporated some engine remake of ultima 6 engines and ultimat 8 engines. you can play that AND the weird worlds of ultima adventure games in the u6 engine where you go to mars to talk to alexander grahm belle. and ultima 8. who frickin WOULDN't want to play ultima 8

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

the number of games the current version of scummvm supports is pretty nuts. every sierra and lucasarts game works basically except maybe real late fmv stuff like phantasmagoria 2 idk. most of westwoods adventure games work so you can play the krynadia games and blade runner (the original is much better than the bad remake/remaster from a few years ago). i think in the past year or so they incorporated some engine remake of ultima 6 engines and ultimat 8 engines. you can play that AND the weird worlds of ultima adventure games in the u6 engine where you go to mars to talk to alexander grahm belle. and ultima 8. who frickin WOULDN't want to play ultima 8
scummvm has gone well beyond its original mission statement. recent additions include dungeon master, syberia 1 & 2, little big adventure, might and magic 3-5, eye of the beholder, myst 3, blade runner, a bunch of macromedia director things...

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Two random memories i just had.

1990s: Running NEVERLOCK to remove copy protection screens
2000s: Home of the Underdogs

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

Those Worlds of Ultima games are surprisingly decent for being extremely coke addled spinoffs. They're better than most Ultima games by virtue of not having Lord British in them

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

:eyepop: that's cool as hell

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Those Worlds of Ultima games are surprisingly decent for being extremely coke addled spinoffs. They're better than most Ultima games by virtue of not having Lord British in them

they are good and lord british kicks rear end. gently caress you!

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Anyone else remember Star Trek: 25th Anniversary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxtIFBLHOQs

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Your Family posted:

Anyone else remember Star Trek: 25th Anniversary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxtIFBLHOQs

this and the sequel were dope, if only because they got the old cast members back to do the voiceovers instead of getting randos to do impressions, but the tradeoff is that everyone is obviously older and guys like DeForest Kelley sound like they're on drugs

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I liked ultima 8, hell I liked all of them except for 9

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ultima 9 is a terrible game. but its the only game lets you build an entire oceanic spanning bridge with sticks and books and/or bread. thank you lord british

https://www.it-he.org/u9_otwab.php

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember Next Generation gave Ultima 9 a score of four stars and in the "bottom line" wrapup at the end, the writer gave them an extra fifth star for when they would eventually patch it, and I always had a problem with that

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Good soup! posted:

I remember Next Generation gave Ultima 9 a score of four stars and in the "bottom line" wrapup at the end, the writer gave them an extra fifth star for when they would eventually patch it, and I always had a problem with that

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

throw a couple of sodas in there for the expansion pack which im sure will be great

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Good soup! posted:

standard practice. maybe grow the gently caress up

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I got the tude now posted:

standard practice. maybe grow the gently caress up

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

thanks to the power of key rebinding in scumm vm not available in the original crusader no remorse i made crusader: no remorse merely cumbersome and clunky to play rather than an rsi marathon. thank you bill scumm and tim vm.