Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

thanks to the power of key rebinding in scumm vm not available in the original crusader no remorse i made crusader: no remorse merely cumbersome and clunky to play rather than an rsi marathon. thank you bill scumm and tim vm.

i stick to playing it on the saturn for the same reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Bill Scumm - Filosofem

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
buying shareware discs for $3 and maybe the game owns and maybe its some bullshit but you won't know until you install

somehow messing the sound settings up installing doom and it had the commander keen style beep boops

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

TheSwizzler posted:

somehow messing the sound settings up installing doom and it had the commander keen style beep boops
Sounds like you set the audio to PC Speaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFWE1mR8LJE

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the only shareware game i ever bought the extra chapters for was traffic department 2192 because of the incredible writing

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

the only shareware game i ever bought the extra chapters for was traffic department 2192 because of the incredible writing

Oh my god this game. It's a hidden gem.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Did anyone else play Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMr0f7wpKUw

Honestly, the music still sticks in my head to this day.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Nikumatic posted:

I had this one on one of those shareware compilation CDs, was expecting some kind of game about traffic police not this lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hugo's house of horrors and getting insanely mad at the very first puzzle. who the gently caress puts keys in pumpkins

ken's labyrinth, zeke's blackjack, block-man, halloween harry....so many good games. and who could forget their first experience with shareware doom

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
nobody could accuse horse racing sims of not being realistic, jeez

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 27, 2023

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

barnold posted:

hugo's house of horrors and getting insanely mad at the very first puzzle. who the gently caress puts keys in pumpkins

Holy gently caress yes!

Also Dracula, duh.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I only played Hugo III: Jungle of Doom since it was on a shareware CD we had and it pissed me off too. I would get immediately captured by a witch doctor and have no idea how to get out and die every time I played.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I only played Hugo III: Jungle of Doom since it was on a shareware CD we had and it pissed me off too. I would get immediately captured by a witch doctor and have no idea how to get out and die every time I played.

lmao me and my grandpa sat there for hours trying to figure out how to get out of that cage. could never figure out how to get the little mouse to do whatever i needed it to do

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

The Kins posted:

nobody could accuse horse racing sims of not being realistic, jeez

Lemonade Stand 2 getting dark.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

barnold posted:

lmao me and my grandpa sat there for hours trying to figure out how to get out of that cage. could never figure out how to get the little mouse to do whatever i needed it to do

I think the only point and click game I'd played before that was The Secret of Monkey Island at a friend's house so I wasn't used to the Sierra-style text parser plus dying a lot type of adventure game

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

same

and I was a masochist who'd suffered his way through just about every sierra adventure, including codename iceman for some reason

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I played so much Hocus Pocus as a kid

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think the only point and click game I'd played before that was The Secret of Monkey Island at a friend's house so I wasn't used to the Sierra-style text parser plus dying a lot type of adventure game

The first game I ever played was Kings Quest 5. Which had got rid of the parser by that point but still had all the dumb Sierra tropes.

Went back to play some of the older games like Leisure Suit Larry and of course tried putting curse words into the parser. Amazingly enough the guy who created had figured out people would do that so there were responses prepared like

"gently caress": yep, that's the idea Larry
"Masturbate": Larry, the whole point of this is to stop doing that.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

barnold posted:

it's complete bullshit lol, I was so pissed when I found out what the solution is

if you didn't look inside the plane on the first screen before meeting the witch doctor, you've softlocked the game and there's no way to proceed
you have to look inside the plane, get the clay and pins, then when you're captured, mold the clay into a voodoo doll and stick the pins in it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cubone posted:

it's complete bullshit lol, I was so pissed when I found out what the solution is

if you didn't look inside the plane on the first screen before meeting the witch doctor, you've softlocked the game and there's no way to proceed
you have to look inside the plane, get the clay and pins, then when you're captured, mold the clay into a voodoo doll and stick the pins in it

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

that reminds me of codename iceman, when the guy hands you your ID after you land in washington you have to check it to make sure it's the right ID at that exact moment otherwise you'll never know it's the wrong one and you'll be doomed for most of the game and have no idea

not really a surprise it was designed by the police quest guy lol

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Still not as bad as the cat hair puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Cubone posted:

holy loving poo poo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I love reading about games like that but have 0 idea why you would ever play one

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Its was a holdover from the old text games like Zork or The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy that would kill you all the drat time to make the game last longer. Lucasarts were the first to say they didn't want the main character to die during gameplay because of a missing inventory item and most companies adapted afterwards. Right until walkthroughs and gamefaqs made the genre too easy.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Going from Return to Zork to the first two Monkey Island games was an absolute breath of fresh air. I hated being killed arbitrarily on every other screen.

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

King's Quest VII is one of my favourite games, and it's more like the LucasArts games. it's impossible to gently caress up your save, and when you die you start back right before you died, without having to reload. When I went back and tried to play King's Quest VI, the first time I died I had to restart the entire game because I didn't realize I needed to save :( . So i learned my lesson, and things were going great, I was almost at the end, and then i found out that i'd missed an item in the land of the dead like hours ago and i couldn't beat the game. i ragequit and still haven't beaten it lol.

i do wanna give this a shot sometime though https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2533-king-s-quest-iv-the-perils-of-rosella-retold/

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

you're supposed to somehow know that this pixel mess is a KEY and you have to play the bone xylophone over there to get the guard to drop it :o

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

King's Quest 6 is the best one. I've played through it a million times and I even know how to get all the points. Good soundtrack, too.

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

I'm really glad that someone showed me a video of Girl In the Tower otherwise I might never have heard it lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Odddzy posted:

Its was a holdover from the old text games like Zork or The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy that would kill you all the drat time to make the game last longer. Lucasarts were the first to say they didn't want the main character to die during gameplay because of a missing inventory item and most companies adapted afterwards. Right until walkthroughs and gamefaqs made the genre too easy.

soon as i played a lucasarts adventure game i never even bothered with any other companies lovely adventure games unless it was specifically described as being lucasarts like

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this was the first dos game i ever played on a compatible tandy 1000. it was the shareware version so it probably came with a disk thrown in by radioshack or something.

once you started moving you wouldn't stop unless you changed direction and you had to fully commit to jumps. i remember it feeling really satisfying to jump up and break potted plants with your head. another thing i remember is being genuinely afraid of the enemies. they were all freaks like this sinister dude with a knife that i would think of as tip-toeing around

or this thing. i thought it was a robot granny with hair curlers and wearing a big dress

there were desks and filing cabinets everywhere which made it feel like a grown up place you're not supposed to be. and if you got yourself stuck in-between a platform and anything else you would get crushed into goo.

it's a hostile work environment

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Odddzy posted:

Zork I would say is a little different, because I think it's like that on purpose. instead of incompetence and needing you to read the game designers' mind, Zork that knows what it's doing is wrong, but it's toying with you. it's a bit like I Wanna Be the Guy- the point is that it's unfair, and the fun of it (if you like) is tangoing with the unfairness and this kinda smug persona of the all-knowing designer.
I actually really like Zork lol. it's deeply flawed, but there's a playfulness to what it's doing

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

fond memories of repeatedly typing KILL THIEF WITH SWORD under the assumption that he would eventually die

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Odddzy posted:

. Right until walkthroughs and gamefaqs made the genre too easy.

Well also games developed to the point where you could have engaging adventure story lines in action games too.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CyberPingu posted:

Well also games developed to the point where you could have engaging adventure story lines in action games too.

I understand what you're saying but I can't compare them. I loved the fact you had to find solutions that didn't require a violence. There was a big part of those games that required imagination and made me engage in the world and dialogue. The writing in that genre was often a lot of fun too whereas action/adventure was more secondary. drat, I feel old now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Odddzy posted:

I understand what you're saying but I can't compare them. I loved the fact you had to find solutions that didn't require a violence. There was a big part of those games that required imagination and made me engage in the world and dialogue. The writing in that genre was often a lot of fun too whereas action/adventure was more secondary. drat, I feel old now.

Oh don't get me wrong I miss adventure games. Thimbleweed Park scratched an itch and the various remasters of old games but I do miss that ability to just take your time with stuff.

I do not however, miss inane pixel hunts that if you don't find them before a specific trigger you can't finish the game

I was more just attributing to what caused the death of that genre. Point and click adventure games really were the big graphical show off games up until CDs and PCs caught up in the mid 90s. Myst by all accounts was kinda late to the party.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

trying to jack off posted:

soon as i played a lucasarts adventure game i never even bothered with any other companies lovely adventure games unless it was specifically described as being lucasarts like

yikes. this guy loves loom and the dig

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Cubone posted:

Zork I would say is a little different, because I think it's like that on purpose. instead of incompetence and needing you to read the game designers' mind, Zork that knows what it's doing is wrong, but it's toying with you. it's a bit like I Wanna Be the Guy- the point is that it's unfair, and the fun of it (if you like) is tangoing with the unfairness and this kinda smug persona of the all-knowing designer.
I actually really like Zork lol. it's deeply flawed, but there's a playfulness to what it's doing

the early sierra games and infocom games, especially zork since that was their very first game, were directly inspired by stuff like the colossal cave adventure, which gave you text descriptions of rooms, a text parser for interactions, and killed you nonstop. everyone at infocom went to mit and had access to the pdp-10s and poo poo which is what the great cave adventure was designed on in like 1976, and thats what the original zork ran on (it was "released" in like 1977 or 78).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

yikes. this guy loves loom and the dig

loom is cool