Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tell me about monuments, exhibits, and displays you have seen and what it means to you.

A buddy of mine worked at the Armin Hammer museum out in the bougie part of Hollywood they called Westwood. I liked the permenent collection because it had real old timey portraits of rich people and it was like scrolling the gram of a bygone era. I took a long time and just stared at this magnificent motherfucker

John Singer Sargent, Dr. Pozzi at Home, 1881
Oil on canvas. 79 3/8 x 40 1/4 in. (201.6 x 102.2 cm). The Armand Hammer Collection, Gift of the Armand Hammer Foundation. Hammer Museum, Los Angeles.

Fly as hell, this Dr Swag was a smooth customer I tell ya what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

God zoos and aquariums are so awful

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i think they're neat

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i think they're neat

If my wife gives me permission, I'm going to fight you for the honor of all sad animals

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

It's a BIG if, though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Best art museums I've ever been to are the met in nyc, Chicago art institute, and Alte Pinakothek in munich, which had a broader depth in western art from before the industrial revolution
They had this set up at Chicago when i was there and it will always have a place in my heart. It was set up in a sort of matte black hallway iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDoMei4pXjk

As for animal jails they are very sad for the smarter animals except for bonobos who seem to be pretty happy rimming each other while making far too much eye contact with the animal jail patrons to my thinking. It's pretty sad for elephants and the non-pervert apes, though

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

i think they're neat

There's a lil petting zoo in Scipio Utah called the Eagles Landing.

They have zonkeys!

Zonkeys.

horseblog backs me up, it is legit as gently caress.

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Feb 24, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
scipio's cool water

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The American Museum of Folk Art is an amazing place that featured all sorts of art made by regular people. When I went they had a massive exhibition on quilts and the various traditions from different regions throughout the US, including some impressive modern quilts by Japanese-Americans that incorporated styles from Japan and US Pacific Coast.

They also had a small exhibit featuring the stories and art by some guy who was a janitor who created this massive, elaborate fantasy world where magical girls fought Evil for the soul of the universe or something. It was basically proto-Anime.

The building was slated to be demolished to build some condos but it looks like they've either moved or saved the building and I'm glad of it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i was lucky enough to be able to go to the met museum like once a week at some point in my life saw a lot of cool poo poo made by way dead guys

i wrote some sort of thesis on this cool trophy box with war trophies on it

the guy whose ashes were put in this box probably did a lot of war crimes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Otter exhibits at zoos and aquariums are very cool, especially if you get there around feeding time and you get to watch the otters dart around and go after their food and stuff

Also aviaries are cool and they’re fun to enter and exit which makes them rare when it comes to enclosed spaces

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I've always wanted to go to the Hieronymus Bosch museum in lisbon. I wanna hit up the lisbon tile museum while I'm there, that seems pretty cool, lots of interesting stuff going on there

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It's a BIG if, though

lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I also wanna try the Portuguese clams 'n' pork Carne de Porco a Alentejana which was a recipe made up to discover jews and muslims but also sounds pretty good

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Dreylad posted:

They also had a small exhibit featuring the stories and art by some guy who was a janitor who created this massive, elaborate fantasy world where magical girls fought Evil for the soul of the universe or something. It was basically proto-Anime.

ah Henry Darger

first time I've seen someone connect it to anime and drat you're right

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i like botanical gardens. i get to hang out with butterflies and plants and morph in to some kind of botanical witch that only brews cool potions like one that lets you gently caress for 10 hours

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NeatHeteroDude posted:

If my wife gives me permission, I'm going to fight you for the honor of all sad animals

yeah lets keep all the animals free so no one ever see's them and gives less of a poo poo and also their habitats are all being destroyed

great plan

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol oh boy here we go

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

NeatHeteroDude posted:

any good zoo or aquarium is mostly populated with rescue animals with adequate natural habitats and has a focus on wildlife preservation and breeding programs and obv no animals like orcas or w/e where it would be impossible to even build a humane enclosure. monterey bay aquarium is a good example. lots of bad examples

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

zoos make me a little sad but i feel nothing for those that make their home beneath the waves

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah lets keep all the animals free so no one ever see's them and gives less of a poo poo and also their habitats are all being destroyed

great plan

I think we should let hunters be in charge of keeping animals known and loved. We (I once hunted) did a great job with deer and elk!

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

pandy fackler posted:

any good zoo or aquarium is mostly populated with rescue animals with adequate natural habitats and has a focus on wildlife preservation and breeding programs and obv no animals like orcas or w/e where it would be impossible to even build a humane enclosure. monterey bay aquarium is a good example. lots of bad examples

Really? Is there a resource or something where I can learn more? My understanding of aquariums is somewhere like Sea World, which sucks

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think we should let hunters be in charge of keeping animals known and loved. We (I once hunted) did a great job with deer and elk!

im from michigan and i say kill them all

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Really? Is there a resource or something where I can learn more? My understanding of aquariums is somewhere like Sea World, which sucks

seriously just read the wiki for monterey bay aquarium I know I keep talking about it but that's because a relative of mine works for them as a research ecologist and I know the most about it. they do some extremely cool stuff re: conservation and even for seafood sustainability efforts

E also SeaWorld is am amusement park with a side focus on torturing animals not an aquarium

pandy fackler has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Feb 24, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

NeatHeteroDude posted:

we have a couple of wildlife reserves which are fantastic, the birds all have heaps of space and you walk amongst them, the keas actually land on you. pretty cool

but yeah the zoos are miserable, tigers pacing back and forth, pretty much all the animals trying to hide from everyone, the gorillas look so bored etc

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

One time at the dc zoo somebody had thrown a water bottle into the tiger's enclosure so he was just pacing back and forth with a hosed up water bottle in his mouth aggressively pissing towards the zoo attendees

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

im from michigan and i say kill them all

llmoa

pandy fackler posted:

seriously just read the wiki for monterey bay aquarium I know I keep talking about it but that's because a relative of mine works for them as a research ecologist and I know the most about it. they do some extremely cool stuff re: conservation and even for seafood sustainability efforts

E also SeaWorld is am amusement park with a side focus on torturing animals not an aquarium

that edit clears up a LOT. I appreciate you noting it. I'll read the wiki for that aquarium- it's super nice to hear SeaWorld is the exception rather than the rule

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

CODChimera posted:

we have a couple of wildlife reserves which are fantastic, the birds all have heaps of space and you walk amongst them, the keas actually land on you. pretty cool

but yeah the zoos are miserable, tigers pacing back and forth, pretty much all the animals trying to hide from everyone, the gorillas look so bored etc

yeah that sounds more in line with my opinion of zoos. I like the idea of reserves, though. I hate the idea of how short the lifespan of animals in captivity is, and how their every day is just a series of punishing stimuli, one after another, until they eventually die at half their life expectancy

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

the san diego zoo (also a nonprofit conservation organization) is really good. im usually against zoos housing large primates but the gorillas have a 8000 square foot enclosure and seem happy. san diego zoo has also reintroduced something like 30 endangered species back into the wild which IMO should be the main purpose of a zoo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dr. Killjoy posted:

ah Henry Darger

first time I've seen someone connect it to anime and drat you're right

that's the name! couldn't remember it all, looks like he's gotten a bit of coverage

it's some strange poo poo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I love aquariums and seeing all the different sea life inside of them. I could sit and watch the fish for hours if I was alone. Jellyfish or shrimp are personal favorites.

One time I visited a gallery and one of the paintings made me cry.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

I love aquariums and seeing all the different sea life inside of them. I could sit and watch the fish for hours if I was alone. Jellyfish or shrimp are personal favorites.

One time I visited a gallery and one of the paintings made me cry.

any crustacean, brother

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Megathreads are basically zoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have always enjoyed zoos but once I was in a zoo aviary and there was a very pretty pheasant-looking bird. I got curious about them so I looked it up. found out it’s likely extinct in the wild and the reason it’s probably extinct is because it’s endemic to Vietnam and they were all killed by American chemical defoliants during the Vietnam War. here these were, in a little facsimile of a home environment they no longer exist in, in the heart of the country that destroyed it. little war trophies.

it was a pretty large and well made enclosure and the animals didn’t seem stressed but boy it sure killed my enthusiasm