Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE:
voting has begun, we have the categories, pick three films for each PLEASE. PLEASE, I LOVE YOU.

friends, yobbers, poster pals, lend me your orbs - this is the list of the films that we, the coupons and deals movie nite, have watched over the past year.

TWENTY TWENTY TWO

Animation
Ribbit - jan 1
Asterix the Gaul and Asterix Vs Caesar - jan 5
Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen! (The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach!) - jan 8
The Mystery of the Third Planet! - jan 12
Animal Farm 1954 - jan 15
Killer Bean Forever - jan 19
The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut - jan 22
Gumby: The Movie - jan 23
Nezha Conquers the Dragon King - jan 28

Film Noir Feb
Ladies In Retirement
D.O.A. - 5
Kansas City Confidential - 9
Moon Over Harlem - 12
The Man With the Golden Arm - 16
Moontide - 19
Deadline- U.S.A. - 23
The Reckless Moment - 26

Outbreak month (march)
Plague - 2
Virus - 5
Containment - 9
Contagion/Pandemic - 11
The Flu - 15
History Channel Plague Doc - 19
Dystopia - 22
The Last Man on Earth - 26
The Cassandra Crossing - 30

Favorite month(?) (april)
Penguin's Memory - 2
Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold - 6
David and the Magic Pear - 9
Windows 95 launch event - 13
Laurel & Hardy in The Flying Deuces - 14
The Mouse that Roared - 20
Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars - 23
Millenium Actress - 27
Invaders from Mars double feature - 30

Take May To Your Leader
Warning From Space - 4
Fantastic Planet - 6
Teenagers from Outer Space -11
Invasion of the Saucer-Men - 14
Starship Invasions - 18
War of the Satellites - 21
The Visitor - 25
Plan 9 from Outer Space - 28

Pride month
Captain Lightfoot - 1
The Slumber Party Massacre - 4
The Vegas Strip War - 8
A Star is Born '54 - 10
Wigstock the Movie - 15
Avalanche - 18
Stonewall: The Making of a Gay and Lesbian Community - 22
The Martian Chronicles - 26
Mädchen in Uniform - 29

Favourites 2
Sinbad and the Caliph of Baghdad - 6
The Giant Behemoth - 9
The Skid Kid - 13
Zatoichi and the Chess Expert - 19
Zatoichi's Flashing Sword - 23
Bahubali 2: the conclusion - 27
The Crazies - 30

Lucha month (august)
Santo and Blue Demon Vs The Monsters - 3
Santo Vs Blue Demon in Atlantis - 10
Champions of Justice - 13
part 2: Vuelven los Campeones Justicieros - 17
La Mansion de las 7 Momias - 20
Santo in the Museum of Wax - 24
Arañas infernales - 27

Italian cheese (sept)
Hercules, Prisoner of Evil - 3
Trinity and Sartana are coming - 7
A Reason To Live, A Reason to Die - 10
Revenge of the Barbarians - 14
War Gods of Babylon - 21
The Cassandra Cat - 24
Attack of the Normans - 28

HALLOWEEN (oct)
Ernest Scared Stupid - 1
The Innocents - 5
Cube - 8
Murders in the Rue Morgue - 12
Masque of the Red Death - 15
Cementario Del Terror - 18
The Children - 22
Mania: Episodes in Terror - 26

Facial hair month (nov)
Terror in a Texas Town - 2
Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams - 5
It Can Be Done Amigo - 9
Bluebeard - 12
Raiders of the Seven Seas - 16
The Black Swan - 19
Merlin and the War of the Dragons - 26
the Life and Times of Grizzly Adams - 30

Holiday movie month
A Karate Christmas Miracle! - 3
Mrs Santa Claus - 7
Blood Beat - 17
Magic Stocking - 21
The Night They Saved Christmas - 23
Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas, and Alf's Special Christmas - 28

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 12, 2023

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have a list of categories for potential awards but i kinda want to see all ya'lls suggestions. thank you for hanging out with us, by the way. it means a lot to me personally and also bfm i am comfortable saying.

it's good to watch movies with pals, and make dumb jokes, and learn important things. this pandemic has been difficult, but you all have made it easier to handle.

thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah seriously y'all are the best and Coupons & Deals Movie Nite is probably the most fun thread I've ever been able to work at, thank you all.

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Most Entertaining if Remade with Every Character Replaced by Coupon Crab

Technical Category: Lowest Frame Rate

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heather Papps posted:

Facial hair month (nov)
Merlin and the War of the Dragons - 26

Incorrect! We ended up not watching this one due to region blocking. We watched this instead on that day (and it turned out to be good??)

And it counted for the theme's month because Teal'c had a stubble.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Manifisto

some off the cuff ideas:

Most Infectious Fun
Least Convincing Alien Invasion
Least Terrifying Horror Movie
It Came From Planet Hallmark
Best Middle Finger To The Man
Most Confusing Fight Scene
Least Convincing Impersonation of a Straight Person
Animated Movie that Should Have Been Live Action
Live Action Movie that Should Have Been Animated

ty nesamdoom!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Most unearned privilege

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Saoshyant

Best badly disguised lower back tattoo award

BoldFrankensteinMir

Best beard?

no...

mightiest beard.

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

mightiest beard.

Hm, who would win?

vs

Buttchocks

I think last year there was a Best Animal category that was pretty fun. There would be some good entries this year.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Buttchocks posted:

I think last year there was a Best Animal category that was pretty fun. There would be some good entries this year.

There was! And we got Munchkin the miniature duck to present, which was a super fun juxtaposition with the other big stars.

What if this year we hired Buckley the Highland Cow instead?

Sig by Heather Papps

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I fell off tuning in but every time I did it was a lot of fun. I think a folk horror month would be neat-- I've had to watch a lot of it lately for work stuff and a lot of them are really beautiful and serene on top of being spooky.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Manifisto

How Wonderful! posted:

I fell off tuning in but every time I did it was a lot of fun. I think a folk horror month would be neat-- I've had to watch a lot of it lately for work stuff and a lot of them are really beautiful and serene on top of being spooky.

ooh that sounds cool, any recommendations (including stuff that can't be shown on movie night because it's not on youtube or whatever, I at least am independently interested) would be appreciated!

ty nesamdoom!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

Manifisto posted:

ooh that sounds cool, any recommendations (including stuff that can't be shown on movie night because it's not on youtube or whatever, I at least am independently interested) would be appreciated!

Three of my all-time favorite movies are Penda's Fen, a little BBC tv-movie from the 70s about a little repressed gay kid who learns not to be awful through the intercession of terrifying pagan visions, A Field in England, a very scary and intense movie about three guys in the 17th century getting high in a meadow, and Eyes of Fire, a very low budget movie about Puritans getting owned outside.

There's a really really super good documentary called Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched from a few years ago that has a HUGE bibliography-- I'm still working through it and having a great time. In particular it shines a light on a lot of international examples of a genre people often reflexively associate with the UK (eg. stuff like The Wicker Man or Whistle and I'll Come To You).

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Manifisto

How Wonderful! posted:

Three of my all-time favorite movies are Penda's Fen, a little BBC tv-movie from the 70s about a little repressed gay kid who learns not to be awful through the intercession of terrifying pagan visions, A Field in England, a very scary and intense movie about three guys in the 17th century getting high in a meadow, and Eyes of Fire, a very low budget movie about Puritans getting owned outside.

There's a really really super good documentary called Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched from a few years ago that has a HUGE bibliography-- I'm still working through it and having a great time. In particular it shines a light on a lot of international examples of a genre people often reflexively associate with the UK (eg. stuff like The Wicker Man or Whistle and I'll Come To You).

that's awesome, thank you! I'm not familiar with any of those except The Wicker Man, which (in its original version) I quite like, I love the atmosphere and the way it builds tension in a slow-burn fashion. I think the original Wicker Man and Midsommar make a natural double ticket that we will definitely not be able to show on movie night, barring some technological breakthroughs.

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I like what we have so far! Mightiest Beard is a good possible replacement for Rowdiest Fight Scene, and...

Buttchocks posted:

Indeed, Coolest Animal fits well enough to come back, and we could hire that cool cow, or another cooler animal if anybody found one. If we also brought back Best Original Song, we could hire Tay Zonday again, he did a great job last year and would provide some continuity.

That would leave just the "best" and "worst" awards, but we should pick funnier names.

Manifisto posted:

It Came From Planet Hallmark

I really like this as our gag prize for a bad movie that's presented by a non-celebrity goon, like last year's Joseph P McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican thought presented by Bigfoot. I was thinking of reprising my role as Santa Claus from the Xmas ads, but only if I can find another announcer (my voice is only so versatile and is already showing up several places).

That leaves the Best Movie Award... last year it was the "Best Actually That Was Rad Surpriser Award", but we can do even better I think.

Or, alternatives are still viable! I would really like to lock these down soon though so we can start nominations and then votes, because I want to make this thing in March if at all possible.

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

More categories:

Best Animation

Best Sword Fighting Scene

Best Luchador
It's Blue Demon, don't let the others fool you

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saoshyant posted:

More categories:

Best Animation

Best Sword Fighting Scene

Best Luchador
It's Blue Demon, don't let the others fool you

I like all of these but especially an award for Blue Demon, that's perfect. And it's a better replacement for rowdiest fight scene than mightiest beard.

So what if the awards are....

Coolest animal
Best Luchador
Best Original Song
The It Came from Planet Hallmark Award
The I've Paid to see Way Worse Movies Award

and, if we end up with extra money (not currently the situation but who knows?) we could add Mightiest Beard and/or Coolest Animation.

What do y'all think? I'll leave this list open for discussion for a day or two but if nobody objects I think we should move forward to voting! Hooray! And for all the hard work and generous donations folks have given so far, please enjoy this special behind-the-scenes look at our friend Coupon Crab gettin' ready for the big show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uheu3svFkzM

Sig by Heather Papps

nut

wettest sounding punch

Heather Papps

hello friend

heather papps powerful hatred "mil mascaras" fucko gently caress yer poo poo fucker

Heather Papps

hello friend

"big dogg"

BoldFrankensteinMir

The categories for this year have been finalized!

Coolest animal
Best Luchador
Best Original Song

Now on to the nominations! For each of these categories, please nominate 1-3 films from the list in the OP. The top three films in each category will then be rated by votes for a winner, and if there's a tie we'll have a run-off. Sound fair? Let's do this!

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

coolest animal:

* I like the design of a lot of the creatures from fantastic planet, but a lot of them end up being jerks. this guy seems cool, he(?) doesn't seem to be hurting anyone:

* what kind of monster do you have to be to not like this lil duckling from animal farm???

* comedy option: the mouse from The Mouse That Roared

best luchador:

I missed most of lucha month, sadly. blue demon seems kinda obvious, so going strictly by costume, I like this dude from Champions of Justice:

after some research I am informed this is Tinieblas ("Darkness"), aka Manuel Leal. also I like his backstory, he's a bit of an underdog: "Tinieblas debuted at a relatively old age of 32, so he never reached the same physical peak as many other popular luchadores of his generation. However, his character remains popular with young lucha libre fans, primarily due to his appearance in comic books and films."

best original song:

wow this is a hard one to nominate, I don't know how many of the songs I even remember?

* Emmet Otter's obviously has plenty of good songs. I'm gonna be a contrarian and nominate Riverbottom Nightmare Band, they are honestly pretty punk rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3cWWNXBHg
* The Man That Got Away from A Star is Born (1954) cause why not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNDu75gEiIo

the It Came From Planet Hallmark award:

* Mrs. Santa Claus of course. duh.

the I've Paid to see Way Worse Movies award:

* Teenagers From Outer Space gave me great joy.
* The Last Man On Earth - Vincent Price? yes please!

finally, it's not any kind of category, but for Best Film I'm gonna say The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut, man that was amazing

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thanks Mani! My votes are...

Coolest Animal:
Pokey, from Gumby: The Movie (Jan 23)
The Gorgon, from Teenagers From Outer Space (May 11)
The Cat, from The Cassandra Cat (Sep 24)

Best Luchadore:
Blue Demon, in Santo contra Blue Demon en la Atlántida - (Aug 10)
Santo, in Santo contra Blue Demon en la Atlántida - (Aug 10)
Mil Máscaras, in Vuelven los Campeones Justicieros - (Aug 17)

Best Original Song:
Save the Whales (Reprised) from Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams- (Nov 5)
Suffragette March, from Mrs Santa Claus- (Dec 7)
Riverbottom Nightmare Band, from Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas- (Dec 28)

The It Came from Planet Hallmark Award:
A Karate Christmas Miracle (Dec 3)
Blood Beat (Dec 17)
Magic Stocking (Dec 21)

The I've Paid to see Way Worse Movies Award:
D.O.A. (Feb 5)
The Cassandra Cat (Sep 24)
Raiders of the Seven Seas (Nov 16)

And yeah if we're picking a personal fave mine is probably The Cassandra Cat! I adored that film and I want to watch it a dozen more times with friends from all circles.

Angela Santasbury commandeth it! VOTE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlxhDvOR2mk

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

I want to be very specific I mean the reprise of Save the Whales for the credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMntqfVFKM

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
coolest animal:

the duck from Animal Farm
the bear from Grizzly Adams
the deer from Nine Colored Deer (shown before Nezha)

the last one gets my personal nod fwiw

best luchadore:

Can I vote for mil mascaras three times here? he was great

best original song:
the boat sequence from Baahubali 2. I'm having a hard time finding it because youtube sux but the one where they're sailing somewhere and turn the boat into an airship with the power of dance
the ending theme from Millennium Actress which sadly only like I saw due to Youtube Issues but here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rNUPVWPquE

(btw I encourage everyone to look up susumu hirasawa. and satoshi kon if you're not already familiar).

suffragette march, mrs santa claus

planet hallmark:
karate christmas miracle
magic christmas stocking
man, I don't want to nominate mrs santa claus for this because it was Actually Good but it should get recognized

I've paid to see way worse movies:
DOA
Baahubali 2
The Mystery of the Third Planet

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am thinking about it

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am making a weird face but not gonna take another picture because

i opened my mouth in a weird way and was like don't do that be normal take a normal photo

Saoshyant

My votes on the different categories go to:

Coolest animal

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974), best bear, best friend, best pal
The Cassandra Cat (1963), the titular cat whose disappearance make all the town's children hide away like an organized strike until the cat is returned
Lord of the Elves (Clash of the Empires) had some very ugly CGI beasts, but it also had some really cool Komodo-based dragon monsters which were the coolest poo poo

Best Luchador

Arañas Infernales (1968, Hellish Spiders)
Santo and Blue Demon vs. the Monsters (1970)
La mansión de las 7 momias (1977)

Which Luchador did all those movies have in common?? Why, it starts with a B, ends in a lue! What a demon!
I guess Mil Mascaras, Santo, and Superzan were alright, too (in that order)

Best Original Song

Mrs. Santa Claus had a bunch of amazing songs and all of them deserve first place
The Man With the Golden Arm (1955) had great, strong intro song for what was a rollercoaster of a movie

Magic Stocking was a surprisingly great Hallmark-like movie
A Karate Christmas Miracle was a surprisingly godawful attempt at a "cool", Hallmark-like movie, but so bad it's kind of good

Lord of the Elves (Clash of the Empires) was a recipe for disaster, yet it was great fun
Teenagers from Outer Space, dreadful, awful, and yet surprisingly memorable and quotable
The Children, dear god, the black nails of DEATH!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you Leraika and Saoshyant!!

Sig by Heather Papps

Slumpy
I vote for Princess Mononoke

slumpy

Buttchocks

poo poo, I barely remember most of these films.

Coolest animal: the dog from Teenagers from Outer Space

Best Luchador: Santo and Blue Demon Vs The Monsters

Best Original Song: Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas

The It Came from Planet Hallmark Award: Mrs Santa Claus

The I've Paid to see Way Worse Movies Award: The Thief and the Cobbler

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
3 things is too hard atm might update later

Coolest Animal:
The bear front grizzled adams or grizzly adams himself.

Best Luchador: Santo for his unlimited masks

Best Original Song: Avenue A from Mrs Santa Claus all day every day no competition

Planet Hallmark: the Christmas stocking aka the holiday himbo

IPTSWWM: I've... never paid to see a movie

Saoshyant

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Best Luchador: Santo for his unlimited masks

That's Mil Mascaras! Whose name translates to "Thousand Masks".

Santo is the guy with a single, white mask on all the time and a white cape. I think that's why he's called "Saint" 'cause his motives are cleric white.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Give my vote to Milly then.

Stoner Sloth

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Give my vote to Milly then.

going with this for best luchador, bear from grizzly adams for best animal... think i've not seen enough to vote in most of the rest!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you everybody for voting I will tabulate the results today and start a-puppeteerin'!!!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

The votes have been tabulated and the winners will be (it's not a spoiler 'cause y'all can count same as I can):

Coolest animal nominees:

The Duckling from Animal Farm
The Cat from The Cassandra Cat
Ben the Bear from The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (winner!)

Best luchador nominees:

Blue Demon from Arañas Infernales
Santo from Santo contra Blue Demon en la Atlántida
Mil Máscaras from Vuelven los Campeones Justicieros (winner!)

Best original song nominees:
Riverbottom Nightmare Band from Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (tied to win!)
Suffragette March from Mrs Santa Claus (tied to win!)
Save the Whales (reprised) from Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams (tied with all other movies for third)

It Came from Planet Halmark Award nominees:
Mrs Santa Claus
A Karate Christmas Miracle
Magic Stocking (Winner!)

I've Paid to See Worse Movies Award nominees:
Teenagers from Outer Space (tied to win!)
D.O.A. (tied to win!)
Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut

-

As you can see we need to determine two ties, for Best Song and the big finale Paid to See Worse Movies award. So we're in a run-off!

Riverbottom Nightmare Band vs Sufragette March for best song, and Teenagers from Outer Space vs D.O.A. for Paid to See Worse Movies.

(also the third choice for both categories is tied with all the others but I took Mani's nod towards Thief and the Cobbler as the decider there, and I thought Tommy Chong being a presenter last year made it funny to nominate him this year, but if you strongly disagree and want a different candidate for third place in either award speak up and I'll gladly listen)

Now technically I don't need to know who wins these two awards until relatively late in the production, so I'm gonna say we can take another week to hash it out. What are your thoughts!?!?!

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Mil Máscaras (winner!)

What is this bullshit?? This is rigged! I demand a recount!

Blue Demon Jr is not gonna be pleased about this!