Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Murdaugh she wrote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I regret nothing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I was having trouble making sense of this trial, then I got to this part and gave up

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I was having trouble making sense of this trial, then I got to this part and gave up

What's confusing about it, it says it all right there.
There was a crash.
It was a boat that crashed.
The boat is now dead.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Riverdale gets weirder every season

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Hollismason posted:

Who the gently caress names their child Buster anyway. Like thats some serious rich white people poo poo. loving Buster.

Here's his testimony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNf886x-EAM

Oh wait his actual name is Richard. Seriously though. "I go by Buster".

it’s cos he fucks and busts nuts everywhere like woah

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Hollismason posted:

Who the gently caress names their child Buster anyway. Like thats some serious rich white people poo poo. loving Buster.

Here's his testimony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNf886x-EAM

Oh wait his actual name is Richard. Seriously though. "I go by Buster".

I feel like not calling yourself "Dick Murder" is a real missed opportunity

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I uh, have doubts about your "the plan was always to be shot in the head, but just a little" conspiracy.

South Carolina Public Radio posted:

Alex Murdaugh sat still, staring straight ahead, as he listened to the sound of his own voice admitting to lying about being shot by a stranger while changing a tire on the side of a road. The 54-year-old rubbed his chin from time to time, but his long, stretched-out leg stopped twitching.

“I was in a very bad place,” Murdaugh tells police in the recorded call played for jurors Thursday. “I thought it would be better for me not to be here anymore.”

Murdaugh goes on to explain he thought his family would be better off without him, so he staged his own death in hopes his son could collect millions in life insurance money. But the gunman missed, hitting just the top of Murdaugh’ s head. Police spent a week searching for the suspect Murdaugh described in detail prior to this confession.

Since his first attempt to elicit sympathy failed, he figured he'd up the ante and kill his family, I guess.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
man is so white his eyebrows are just ideas

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

he looks like falcor the luck dragon's pet capuchin

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
also i found this interesting but not surprising. i thought it was your bog standard rich white guy not able to let it go, but it turns out he's from a dynasty that has had control over local legal proceedings and politics for 86 years.

'that cnn article" posted:

Over three generations, a member of the Murdaugh family has served as the 14th Circuit Solicitor, which leads prosecutions for Allendale, Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper counties in the southern part of South Carolina.

Randolph Murdaugh Sr. was elected to the 14th Circuit Solicitor’s Office in 1920 and served in the position until his death in 1940.

His son, Randolph Murdaugh Jr., then took over the position and served until his retirement in 1986.

Murdaugh Jr.’s son, Randolph Murdaugh III, was then elected to the role in 1987 and served through the end of 2005.

Murdaugh III’s son, Alex Murdaugh, works as an attorney at the law firm Peters Murdaugh Parker Eltzroth & Detrick, known as PMPED.

In 2006, then-Gov. Mark Sanford appoints attorney Duffie Stone to serve as the 14th Circuit Solicitor, making him the first non-Murdaugh in the position. He has been elected to the position four times since, most recently in 2020, according to the solicitor’s website.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

also i found this interesting but not surprising. i thought it was your bog standard rich white guy not able to let it go, but it turns out he's from a dynasty that has had control over local legal proceedings and politics for 86 years.

not sure if you knew this but america is a joke

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Dudes only got 2 feet how many more can he shove in his mouth before the judge bangs the gavel and says GUILTY like an Ace Attorney cutscene

Homie just digging his own grave now

You're a terrible criminal stop trying you hosed up deal with it

I hope his defense hits him with a rolled up newspaper for telling on himself so much

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
That's an impressive amount of crime for one guy to commit in such a short space of time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah he is like late late stage vanderbilt type deal. like the smart ones are long dead or retired and all thats left are the failsons.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Law and Crime Network currently has the brother testimony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHVnvKOIppk

Pretty brutal testimony

Also the defense is putting forward that there were two shooters

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/us/alex-murdaugh-murder-trial-monday/index.html

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
So the guy who "shot Alex in the head" - Curtis Smith, Alex's drug dealer, seems to believe that he was lured to the roadside and Alex was trying to coax him into a gun fight where Alex would then kill him and make it look like Curtis had been paid by persons unknown to kill his wife and son and then Alex himself.

This story is all kinds of messed up. I watched the Netflix documentary last night, and I feel so bad for the teens on the boat. They've been put through so much by this family.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The prosecution is apparently allowing the juror's to go to the crime scene? Like why the hell do they need to take a field trip.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Hollismason posted:

The prosecution is apparently allowing the juror's to go to the crime scene? Like why the hell do they need to take a field trip.

So they can try to discredit the testimony of that guy saying he had to clean his relatives brains off the floor

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Probably because field trips are a lot of fun OP

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

RumbleFish posted:

Since his first attempt to elicit sympathy failed, he figured he'd up the ante and kill his family, I guess.
No, I knew he hired the guy, but the poster I was responding to seemed to be saying the hit was intended to fail, though I may have misunderstood him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Juror's take a field trip to the property

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/01/us/moselle-property-alex-murdaugh-trial/index.html

I guess to impress upon them...something not quite sure why their sending the jury to the property other than to say " Yeah this is where two people were murdered".

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

That's routine. Well, not routine as in often, but routine as in it's not unusual in cases where there is a ton of geographical testimony. Testimony like "I was at this precise spot on the lawn, and this coincidentally allowed me to see exactly through the tree line." Lawyers are allowed to ask the judge to let the jurors go see that, to evaluate whether that's true. Back when I was doing criminal law we did it a grand total of twice. Once when we disputed whether a person could hear another person yelling from a room across the house. Another time when we disputed whether you could see a tiny little detail through a tree line from 100 feet. Often it's just easier for the jury to go see for themselves rather than hear a bunch of witnesses talk about it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
But it could be sad for any of the jurors that forget to bring a permission slip from their parent or guardian on the day, and have to stay behind while everyone else has fun as the murder scene field trip. :(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

dr_rat posted:

But it could be sad for any of the jurors that forget to bring a permission slip from their parent or guardian on the day, and have to stay behind while everyone else has fun as the murder scene field trip. :(

This is the biggest cause of mistrials.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
I don't want to be prejudiced or anything but people this white shouldn't be allowed to live this far south.Even if they don't kill each other, they are gonna get so much skin cancer with all that golf and boating they do.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HEAT MISER! This is who this mother fucker looks like

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

HEAT MISER! This is who this mother fucker looks like

Lol

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

DamnCanadian posted:

I can’t stand this guy, because my wife is watching his trial and various YouTube commenters non-stop and when I get home from work I have to listen to her theories for hours on end

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Murdaugh guilty of murdaugh

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I murdocked my family and all I got was this sweet prison cell

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
That didn't take long lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Three hours lmao

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

man i thought for sure they would be deliberating until next week.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I've been following it here and there, yeah. It's incredibly obvious he did it. But he is VERY rich. It's not inconceivable that he gets away with it for that fact alone.

The thing that gets me the most about this (other than the murders of course) is just how loving old-money-rich that family is. Brother was on the stand, talking about the family's use of guns. He said something about going dove-hunting on one of their properties. Finished up the story with something like "You know, how when you're done dove hunting, you know, you have to do X and Y before you do Z." Like... mind-blowing that he has no concept that other people do not, in fact, know what dove-hunting on one of your seventeen properties is like.

Brother also casually mentioned he doesn't live in town anymore, he lives four hours away. But when he stopped by to visit Murderer, he stopped by "his house" for a change of clothes. Lawyer asks for clarification. Brother looks puzzled. "Well, I keep a small summer home up in town, of course, and it's fully-stocked with everything I might need, like clothes." He was baffled that this wasn't immediately understood.

Going to be a very interesting sentencing. I give it 50/50 that Murderer just gets away with it.

Edit to add: They also probably killed one of their housekeepers, and it sounds like the dead son also might have killed someone (or multiple people) too. Would be wild if it all came out that the son was, in fact, a serial killer and Murderer Dad killed him to cover it up. But maybe I've read too many airport novels lately.

Edit: WOOOOOOOOO I DID NOT KNOW THAT HAPPENED, holy poo poo, I was thinking it'd be DAYS.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
GUILTY

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Good.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alex-murdaugh-trial-verdict-reached-murder-case/

As been reported in the thread, but yeah. Guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

how was I supposed to know what would happen when I Murdaughed my family?