Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Possibly should just go in the soda thread but there are literally a hundred different types of energy drinks you can buy at a large convenience store so I figured might as well break it out.

Most famous brand is of course Red Bull, but beyond that there are thousands of brands attempting to get your taurine, caffeine and battery acid dollar. Even Coke tried a few years to have energy coke.

If you're trying to avoid sugar then energy drinks are one of your best bets because energy drinks have a certain acceptance of weird aftertaste which allows them to really experiment with the flavors they offer. In fact these days its harder to find an energy drink with sugar in it than without it in most stores.

I'm sure after a long day of power lifting and mountain biking and other such forms of intense exercise everyone here needs a little something to help them stay awake to post so talk about it.

Rick fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The drink that made me make this thread today was the new Nitro Monster energy. In general I find the nitro brewed soda trend to be a gimmick but standard nitro monster is actually pretty good. "Super dry" is a very dumb name for a beverage but I enjoyed this flavor, as well as cosmic peach, which had something that gave a bit of a tingly tongue feel that I can't quite explain.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I used to drink a bunch of bang because it was so cheap, until I realized I can’t stand any of the flavors. These days I spring for either monster pure zero or regular Red Bull. Occasionally I’ll get some wired triple caffeine if I see them on sale for a dollar a can.

I like drinking a cup of black coffee with my energy drink. Sip of monster, sip of coffee. Good stuff

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wtf nitro super dry is back? I would get that like 12 years ago. Only drink lo-carb Monster these days but it’s getting weirdly hard to find

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i can't abide any of the stuff they put into zero-sugar drinks and full-force energy drinks have way too much goddamn sugar in them which is a shame because i like the flavors a lot

when it was easier to find regularly i would often squeeze a fresh lime into an icy cup of monster mule on most mornings and live like a king

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Wtf nitro super dry is back? I would get that like 12 years ago. Only drink lo-carb Monster these days but it’s getting weirdly hard to find

It came back late 2021 and into last year. I haven't seen it around in 6+ months.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

something about a white monster to start a long drive early in the morning really hits the spot. you've gotta pull over to piss 20 minutes later but it is what it is.

I'm not sure if this counts as an energy drink but I'll assume it does, I tried that half coke half coffee stuff and it's not bad. Very weird, but honestly pretty okay. From what I understand people have been mixing those for forever anyway and honestly I can kind of see the appeal. I don't drink a lot of full sugar sodas though so maybe I'll try it tomorrow morning with a coke zero and a shot of espresso

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Coke with coffee was very good. I can barely ever find it anymore, and when I do it’s always the inferior caramel or vanilla flavors instead of the good dark brew stuff. I knew it wasn’t going to be around forever, but I’m saddened by its loss

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

drat I didn't know I was on some old poo poo, I thought it was new because it was high on the shelf. But yeah it's back.

For me all I see is low cal monster, just an entire row of white and lime and gold and pink everywhere, the juice ones, though, are hard to find. Gold is the only low carb monster I really like though, if I"m going to dip into zero sugar I need some chemicals from C4 or G-Fuel.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

something about a white monster to start a long drive early in the morning really hits the spot. you've gotta pull over to piss 20 minutes later but it is what it is.

I'm not sure if this counts as an energy drink but I'll assume it does, I tried that half coke half coffee stuff and it's not bad. Very weird, but honestly pretty okay. From what I understand people have been mixing those for forever anyway and honestly I can kind of see the appeal. I don't drink a lot of full sugar sodas though so maybe I'll try it tomorrow morning with a coke zero and a shot of espresso

It's apparently a very big drink outside of the US. I enjoyed it although it was weirdly expensive.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Monster Rehabs are where it's at for energy drinks. Noncarbonated so you can chug them if you desire. Also Amazon usually has the 24 packs for around ~$35 when they have them in stock.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

well coke + coffee absolutely does not mean coke zero and a shot of espresso. not pleasant at all. I'll make some cold brew tonight and try 50/50 tomorrow.

also let's hear it for red bull, folks. da classic energy drink and still easily top 5 imo. I don't know what it is about red bull specifically but everyone I know who has dealt with addiction loving loves red bull and red bull specifically. that makes sense to me for speedier drugs but it seems universal no matter what you were into. I've asked about this and no one really knows outside of that it's the one nonalcoholic thing other than coke or seltzer that a bar is almost guaranteed to have.

red bull is an austrian company but the drink itself was invented in thailand, so all over SE asia there are really great red bull knockoffs that range from absolutely identical to pretty similar. Red Guar is the original (and has the same logo), but there's Red Blue, Red Tiger, Red Bull Classic/Classic Red Bull, and

(not my pic)
and probably a million more you could find

also you can get red bull cold brew coffee in vietnam and it sucks rear end. It tastes like if someone melted a bunch of cheap coffee candy into a can of red bull.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Those monster coffees are atrocious too. I don’t know what anybody is thinking with those, why would they make them and who in the world would ever drink one

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Coke with coffee is really good but it is not an energy drink. When I tried to replicate it home I found the sweet spot was like one tablespoon of coffee in a full can of coke zero lol.

This is the new king of energy drinks. 5 calories, zero sugar, 100% accurate sour patch kid flavor.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bang was my favorite but you can't find it around here anymore. 300 mg of caffeine is a little much, anyway. Made my heart race.

I'd rather just drink coffee but it's so much quicker just to grab a Monster Zero on the way out the door

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Coke with coffee is really good but it is not an energy drink. When I tried to replicate it home I found the sweet spot was like one tablespoon of coffee in a full can of coke zero lol.

This is the new king of energy drinks. 5 calories, zero sugar, 100% accurate sour patch kid flavor.

that sounds like the good, upstanding cousin to this

----------------

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

rip it much?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

well coke + coffee absolutely does not mean coke zero and a shot of espresso. not pleasant at all. I'll make some cold brew tonight and try 50/50 tomorrow.

also let's hear it for red bull, folks. da classic energy drink and still easily top 5 imo. I don't know what it is about red bull specifically but everyone I know who has dealt with addiction loving loves red bull and red bull specifically. that makes sense to me for speedier drugs but it seems universal no matter what you were into. I've asked about this and no one really knows outside of that it's the one nonalcoholic thing other than coke or seltzer that a bar is almost guaranteed to have.

red bull is an austrian company but the drink itself was invented in thailand, so all over SE asia there are really great red bull knockoffs that range from absolutely identical to pretty similar. Red Guar is the original (and has the same logo), but there's Red Blue, Red Tiger, Red Bull Classic/Classic Red Bull, and

(not my pic)

also you can get red bull cold brew coffee in vietnam and it sucks rear end. It tastes like if someone melted a bunch of cheap coffee candy into a can of red bull.

I hear that the Red Bull syrup from Thailand is super strong if you can get your hands on it.

There is definitely something about Red Bull that hits a spot. It'[s the only default energy drink flavor that I like.

Ziv Zulander posted:

Those monster coffees are atrocious too. I don’t know what anybody is thinking with those, why would they make them and who in the world would ever drink one

I agree they're pretty bad. People in my DnD group like them and sometimes I end up stuck with them. Some of them are okay I guess but there are a couple that I just had to pour out.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Rick posted:

drat I didn't know I was on some old poo poo, I thought it was new because it was high on the shelf. But yeah it's back.

For me all I see is low cal monster, just an entire row of white and lime and gold and pink everywhere, the juice ones, though, are hard to find. Gold is the only low carb monster I really like though, if I"m going to dip into zero sugar I need some chemicals from C4 or G-Fuel.

Ultras are all zero sugar I think, I’m talking about the classic blue on black can. Can still get it on Amazon but I feel like a scumbag getting a case of soda via delivery

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ziv Zulander posted:

The new 300mg Caffeine Monster Coffees are pretty good, I've found. Even have actual sugar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Ultras are all zero sugar I think, I’m talking about the classic blue on black can. Can still get it on Amazon but I feel like a scumbag getting a case of soda via delivery

It is scummy for sure, but, I did it for a little while because they had some really crazy deals like Rockstar Strawberry Whip 10 packs for $14.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm an energy drink conservative. zero sugar red bull. no need to get fancy with it.

----------------

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

(not my pic)

Rick posted:

I hear that the Red Bull syrup from Thailand is super strong if you can get your hands on it.

This stuff

Back in the 90's, before the canned fizzy Red Bull was a thing here, they used to sell it in the industrial/goth clubs I went to.

You can still find it around now but only at asian markets.

A shot of espresso in a glass topped up with tonic water is my preferred "energy drink" now days. Its a really great combo.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

rip it much?

----------------
ok

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Fun story from a friend about Rip It, he was stationed in Egypt or somewhere I dunno and the base got fuckin pallets of Rip It. You could take as many as you could carry from the mess hall, and Rip Its, especially once supply started diminishing and the next delivery date seemed to be farther and farther away, became a de-facto second currency.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Move this thread to TCC imo

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I honestly can't abide the energy drink aftertaste, which I why I pretty much solely drink Full Throttle and Full Throttle Blue, which don't have it. The problem is, the distributors really don't want to carry it, and would rather carry either twenty billion flavors of Monster or the same twenty billion of Bang/Reign/whatever the new hotness is. I can go a month without ever seeing Full Throttle, only for a store to get a single case that vanishes in a few days. So, question, is there another energy drink out there that entirely lacks the aftertaste?

I can... tolerate Rockstar Juiced and Rockstar Juiced Watermelon. I cannot abide regular Rockstar and think every consumer of it is mentally defective.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I've tried Celsius which is supposed to keep me energized but I feel like it doesn't.

I've seen Nitro Pepsi in the wild but the instructions of pouring it hard just made me want a simpler energy drink.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

nitro pepsi isn't an energy drink, just regular soda nitro-ized. I like that texture in cold brew coffee so I tried one once and it was fine, it's exactly what is says on the label.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

I honestly can't abide the energy drink aftertaste, which I why I pretty much solely drink Full Throttle and Full Throttle Blue, which don't have it. The problem is, the distributors really don't want to carry it, and would rather carry either twenty billion flavors of Monster or the same twenty billion of Bang/Reign/whatever the new hotness is. I can go a month without ever seeing Full Throttle, only for a store to get a single case that vanishes in a few days. So, question, is there another energy drink out there that entirely lacks the aftertaste?

I can... tolerate Rockstar Juiced and Rockstar Juiced Watermelon. I cannot abide regular Rockstar and think every consumer of it is mentally defective.

Maybe Nos? Problem with that is it’s distributed by Coke at the same level as Full Throttle

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

apple flavored nos is maybe the only drink on the planet where i can't taste the sucralose or w/e they added to it, so it's obviously made by wizards

but OG nos is maybe the only energy drink i enjoy without it being one of their wacky spin-off flavors. just a solid citrus taste.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've decided I am going to rate every Dutch Bros energy drink but I only drink one a week (max) so it's going to take a while.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

panera charged lemonade tastes good as gently caress because it's just fruity lemonades but has as much caffeine or more as monster, do recommend

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Piss Creep posted:

A shot of espresso in a glass topped up with tonic water is my preferred "energy drink" now days. Its a really great combo.

this sounds epic as gently caress drat

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm addicted to the Mango Loco Monster Juice but at $3+ a can they can gently caress right off, flying to Bolivia to import a pile of mangos and cocaine is looking more cost-effective by the day

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Car Hater posted:

I'm addicted to the Mango Loco Monster Juice but at $3+ a can they can gently caress right off, flying to Bolivia to import a pile of mangos and cocaine is looking more cost-effective by the day

It wasn't that long ago you could get 2 for $3 now it's 2 for $5 at 7-11 and you need the loyalty card to get the deal.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

This is pretty popular in the UK

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

They banned alcohol+caffeine beverages in the US several years ago.

Land of the free indeed.

You can still go buy a hand gun whenever you want though.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Man peach redbull with vodka would be pretty tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I wish there were non energy versions of some energy drinks. Like the tangerine mango guava whatever non-sugar Rockstar, I loving love that drink but it has to be a very sometimes treat because i don’t want to be unable to fall sleep in the evening