Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

the state of the forums is

denial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol how are you going to get run out of cspam lol just keep posting dawg lol just stay at the keyboard

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i miss all the banned posters except the bad ones

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hubbert posted:

I'm told to take it to C-SPAM. They have four threads on the main page with a "Marxism" label. Like 50% of the posters have a Bernie Sanders AV. I had multiple of their ilk PM me over the years to say I need the guillotine because I own too much property.

Bernie Sanders is a Marxist who wants to guillotine landlords

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

D&D used to have one of those, complete with a channel for getting mad about CSPAM that became so toxic they had to shut it down. They were 100% positive every post from anyone who split time between forums was coordinated on the secret CSPAM discord they were convinced existed, and they constantly bayed for the blood of their posting enemies and lamented the weakness of the mods who refused to just enforce the rules and ban everyone they didnt like. Its always projection.

they're right, and I coordinated this post on the secret CSPAM discord beforehand to make sure of it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

if you aren't in as many discords as you can be you are not posting at peak efficiency. you aren't even trying

party plane it up

i post on a web 1.0 internet forum specifically because i am not interested in posting at peak efficiency

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

apropos of nothing just remembered that after the war started a bunch of yospos guys were wilding out

one kept on posting stuff like "eating perogis slava ukraini!!!!"

smh a true ally would call them varenyky

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

it cannot be called gold stars

reddit karma with Somethingawful characteristics

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i simply emptyquote posts I like, or if I find them funny I write "lol"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Posting in the same thread about the same topic while knowing nothing about one another personally doesn’t make you friends. That’s weird parasocial poo poo to think so.

everybody listen to my close personal friend KirbyKhan

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
depressing poo poo to post on this forum for like 20 years and still think you have no friends here

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
actively posting on a forum where your own self-image is that you're the sad alcoholic drinking alone at the same bar every night ftw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

gonna start calling lurkers parasocials

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
parasocial is a good word for the mysterious accounts that haven't made a post in 15 years but still file reports

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Posting in the same thread about the same topic while knowing nothing about one another personally doesn’t make you friends. That’s weird parasocial poo poo to think so.

I just saw that this is a real post someone made in SAD, which in turn made me sad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

A parasocial relationship is when people got really invested in John Mulaney having a happy marriage right

yes, it's when you form a one-sided relationship with some kind of celebrity or whatever, because you consume content that you think gives you an insight into their life and personality. You feel like you are their friend, but they don't even know you exist.

Posting on an internet forum with other people who post back at you is the opposite, it's just a social relationship.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

imagine the reports

one time i went into the report forum and there were like 30 D&D reports in a row

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

i remember one of the mods/admins saying there were people that went through dnd reporting literally every post in a thread when they got buttmad

I'm pretty sure I remember the D&D mods once complaining that someone reported until they ran out of reports and then signed into a parachute so that they could keep reporting

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bump

stav laugh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

ait definitely has a permaban thread already up

thankfully he does not

alarumklok posted:

maybe they should permaban you for not following directions. end with a period or something

illiterate moran

Clearly that warning doesn't actually work because at some point radium went into the code and made it so LC entries auto-capitalize and add a period at the end if you didn't include one

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lpzie posted:

ok maybe not fake news.... real news?... but the code treats "*" as an ending punctuation mark...

the code being very stupid is the best part

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

idk if it's so much the incompetence and malice because I think that stuff is basically everywhere, but I do think that the fact that there's much less of a barrier between the people running the website and the users is a huge part of it. Any other website, even Reddit where the mods of subreddits will be users in that community, when you get a ban notice it doesn't say who is actually doing it. It'll just say it's from A Member of the Moderation Team.

This is the only website where if a guy bans you, there's a chance it'll come out that that guy is a loving weirdo and you'll be vindicated.

I agree with this and I will say very earnestly that my ideal vision of moderation is for there to be as little of a barrier as possible

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I used search wizardry to find someone quoting Cuttlefush in February 2014 and according to the quote their username was always Cuttlefush which means this conspiracy goes all the way to the top

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

can you find Cuttlefish

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=cuttlefish

6 posts in total, last one was in 2007, search doesn't work that far back so we can't see what kind of poster they were

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

it should not have been prevented

imo that's the kind of trolling where you know you're very likely to pay the toll

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he was just giving the politics forums what they want endless tweets about poo poo no one cares about

i have repeatedly asked for twitter embeds to be disabled but so far i have been ignored

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

The mods should reveal which of us has a permaban thread currently

Azathoth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the mods are going to try to permaban me but it'll be like the time the blizz lols ik tried to ban + 30 me only to accidentally banned and probed himself instead

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

azathot approved it then had to go in and ask the thread why the ik randomly decided to ban himself lol

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
16bb used Reflect. It's super effective!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Here on your 4 billionth probe, one must take a look around at the absurdity surrounding our situation. You, a threadbanned dumdum posting in a thread you just can’t stay away from. Me, the guy who probes you knowing you’ll be back. We, or people like us, will be back here or in a situation like this many years from now. Why are we here, grappling with the impermanence of this paradigm? What do you gain by posting in the blizzlols thread? What do I gain by giving you a sixer? Where’s the finish line? Clearly no lesson is being learned, no real modification of behavior. Just a carousel, looping back endlessly.

Just lurk my dude, don’t post in the thread.

But still, knowing we’ll be back here, one must imagine us happy. I’ll probably probe you tomorrow too since it’s really late. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

one must imagine Sisyphus happy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I'm like Snowden I post from Moscow

one time I was visiting Russia and posted a link from google.ru on the forums so I'm sure that will inevitably be cited as proof of my employment by the Internet Research Agency

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wheeee posted:

the eternal cycle of problems on these forums aren't about needing to nail down procedure they're about trust

it's very hard to find a technical solution to a human problem, therefore we have decided to make ChatGPT an administrator

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

that coulda paid for half of a succulent midwestern plinkeymeal

wtf :barf:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

why what is it spoiling

my appetite

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

come on, put both posts if you're gonna empty quote I was clearly setting someone up for the spike there

thank you for your service

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Deviantart thread...... that was an 8Loko kind of a day

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

4 loko removing the caffeine was my own 9/11

more like your own 7/11

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

that's Plinkey's Special Sauce

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
whatever they are, it simply cannot be a coincidence that they were fashioned to look like cocks in cum sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azathoth posted:

This, but take a pickle, slather it in cream cheese, and wrap it in a slice of deli corned beef. Can be cut into bitesized pieces as well. Colloquially known as "Lutheran sushi".

The Midwest was a mistake