Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
So he's here and there, but not every-loving-where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

esperantinc posted:

Yeah I swear there was a bit in S2 where Ted was in with Dr. Sharon and went through the whole ordeal with her starting only with him solo, then Ted came in. I could be off base!

Yeah this is correct. He mentions feeling ambushed and teamed up on, which is why he was so opposed to the idea of therapy.

And can you blame him.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Penitent posted:

Title change to The Richmond Way?

I'm throwing my oar in that they're going to attempt an Arrowverse; new series of Ted Lasso now called "The Richmond Way" or something with a one-off cameo from Ted, a concurrent spin-off of the women's team featuring Keeley as manager with occasional "her friends from Richmond AFC might just pop by and say hello" cameos from the main players, and quite probably a single episode that crosses the two over.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

socialsecurity posted:

Wait I missed this part, he was her solo one first?

First episode of season 2, when he's talking to Coach Beard about why he doesn't trust therapists

quote:

Well, when Michelle and I did couple's therapy, it was with this therapist she'd been going to for a while, and, um...I just kinda felt like I was being set up, you know. Like I was going in there not to be listened to, but rather just to hear about all the things I'd been doing wrong.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think solo therapists do become couples therapists for the same people and it’s not necessarily unethical. I might be wrong, though.

And tbh that plot line feels so specific I wanna say it came right out of Sudeikis’s life.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I think solo therapists do become couples therapists for the same people and it’s not necessarily unethical. I might be wrong, though.

And tbh that plot line feels so specific I wanna say it came right out of Sudeikis’s life.

No but it makes the therapist dating her even worse.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Vegetable posted:

It always felt like a lot of Ted's personal journey was Sudeikis working through his divorces

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think him being her individual therapist is the most hosed up part. Is he still her therapist? Therapists aren't supposed to have any kind of non-professional interaction with their patients.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think him being her individual therapist is the most hosed up part. Is he still her therapist? Therapists aren't supposed to have any kind of non-professional interaction with their patients.

They don't say but I'm going to go with "yes" because it's the funniest outcome.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

lol I wonder if they plumb forgot they wrote that line because it makes everything so much worse otherwise

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

bobjr posted:

They didn't even play up how wrong it was as a therapist dating their client, more Ted needed to move on from the marriage for good, because it was becoming a negative thing from him. It's mostly just the last episode where he's a huge dick about soccer for no reason, when his kid is a superfan of the team and presumably watches any game he can, so it's not like this would be a new thing for him.

If they weren't going to address it then it probably should have just been some random guy Ted didn't know at all, because then the idea that she's moving on when he isn't would come off better.

I really did like both the second to last and last episodes overall though, but the last episode I liked less and less the more I thought about it, ESPECIALLY with how Ted turns out and he just like, returns home to his wife, did she seriously break up with the guy because he was snippy during a single soccer game? How the gently caress did she put up with someone as talkative as Ted? Why did the guy suddenly become a dipshit out of nowhere? Like how could they have possibly not had enough runtime per episode to have stuff like that be so out of nowhere.

Also lol the team being so mad they started playing like Italians at the mere thought of Nate tearing the Believe sign but then they suddenly are all collectively cool with him and actively miss him and want him back.....as their kit man?

When Ted called him over I thought he was going to get some god-tier last minute strategy from Nate but instead he just uses him as a prop to signal that play from years ago, and Nate is fine with that, what in the gently caress?

Some aspects of this season in general very much reminded me of Wonder Woman 1984's moral of "Does some poo poo suck in your life? Are people or some aspect of the system/your job keeping you down? Well, tough poo poo, get back in your lane til you die." It didn't seem like that kind of show on the surface but here we are.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm assuming he went home to his house because...where else would he go? Even if they stay divorced, when he left for England he was married and he hasn't spent any significant time in the states since getting divorced. He wouldn't necessarily have a place lined up immediately.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Smashed fast forward as quickly as I could when they started singing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sheri posted:

I'm assuming he went home to his house because...where else would he go? Even if they stay divorced, when he left for England he was married and he hasn't spent any significant time in the states since getting divorced. He wouldn't necessarily have a place lined up immediately.

He was probably getting paid like $10 million+ a year the three years he was coaching Richmond.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Kansas hasn't received hotel technology yet

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

He was probably getting paid like $10 million+ a year the three years he was coaching Richmond.

And he's supposed to find a place to live in another country when he doesn't know for sure when he's coming back during almost all of that three years?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

Kansas hasn't received hotel technology yet

lol About to see a dozen "It's MINOT not a real city of course Ulillillia is like that!" style posts :wtc:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Is that the first time Ted made it back to the states in 3 years? I sorta thought he went back during the off season at least, but I guess he instead just saw his son when he came to visit?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tweak posted:

Is that the first time Ted made it back to the states in 3 years? I sorta thought he went back during the off season at least, but I guess he instead just saw his son when he came to visit?

Yeah he's an incredibly distant father going by the timeline and what we know from the show. If they do a spinoff it should be a time jump to the grown up kid's therapy sessions.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah he's an incredibly distant father going by the timeline and what we know from the show. If they do a spinoff it should be a time jump to the grown up kid's therapy sessions.

Somehow, his therapist is also Jacob.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sheri posted:

And he's supposed to find a place to live in another country when he doesn't know for sure when he's coming back during almost all of that three years?

He at least knew a week in advance. That's enough place to find a quick temporary rental when you're a multi millionaire.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ted's London apartment was probably $13,000 per month plus he probably paid for Beard's. :newlol:

https://housinganywhere.com/room/ut1291006/gb/London/lisgar-terrace

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sheri posted:

Literally yes, a motel would be a healthier option than moving in with your ex wife and her new husband who happens to be your former therapist.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Or it could've just been "hey I just got back to the country the first thing I want to do right from the airport is see my kid".

Whole lotta speculation in here based on a 5 second scene, ha.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

esperantinc posted:

Or it could've just been "hey I just got back to the country the first thing I want to do right from the airport is see my kid".

Whole lotta speculation in here based on a 5 second scene, ha.

this is what i figured it was

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

What’s really weird to me is that (unless I missed it somehow) they didn’t address that issue at all, to the point where it’s kinda like…why even make him the ex-counselor in the first place? Why not just make him some random guy?

And then his heel-turn into a condescending rear end during the West Ham match was just bizarre, given he really hadn’t acted very dickish at any other part of the season, least that I can remember.

It's utterly baffling. Despite bloating out into hour-long episodes, they still left all sorts of important events to happen offscreen while they wasted time with these terrible little relationship arcs that never go anywhere either. It'd be one thing if they were cleverly subverting the typical sports show or something, or if they had really well-done character arcs that they wanted to do, but it's so poorly-plotted that I have no idea how you make the case for having Zava return to his home planet between episodes so you can tell a story about "Ted's marriage counselor dating his ex-wife, no, I dunno how it ends, we'll work that out by the time we get there (or maybe not)."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

lol ted really does suck when you get right down to it. Distant father, enables his drug-addict friend, and terrible coach who despite three years and tens of millions of dollars still didn't bother learning how to do his job. That cheerful attitude and mustache really do a lot of work covering for him kinda being a piece of poo poo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't really think you can argue that he wasn't good at his job. He may not have been an expert at the game (although he was the only one to recognize the off-sides in the final episode) but he knew that and got Roy and Beard to fill in the gaps.

He clearly provided a critical role to the team by being a motivator and handling interpersonal relationships and development.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The show's concept of a plot is really just kind of more like an improv comedian's notion of a 'bit' than what you usually see in professionally produced TV, like, there is no point in Ted's ex dating their counselor beyond the fact that it's "a thing", something you can write on the board, it's a bit, Ted is divorced, yes and his wife is dating the marriage counselor. It's just not a played comedically and the show at points tries to present these bits as like, conflicted character moments but they're all bits, they're just gags that play out on screen, and most of the 'bits' are really simple jokes, they must just play out across numerous episodes, like the whole Zorreux thing, it's all a set up for the commentator on the final episode going "It's about time!" when the guy wants to be called Zorro, and it's actually one of the more clever (and successful) jokes in the season given that it had gradual build up and that they even managed to tie that stupid 'Danny goes berserk when he plays for the national team' bit (and wtf, like, professional goalies get smashed in the face all the time, did Zorreux expect Danny to shoot a softball because they're teammates? it only makes sense as a gag), but really like, all the plots are like that.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 9, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

And then his heel-turn into a condescending rear end during the West Ham match was just bizarre, given he really hadn’t acted very dickish at any other part of the season, least that I can remember.
In his first scene he takes the call from Ted because he wants to gently caress with a tele-marketer by doing his Trump impression. A grown rear end man acting like the Jerky Boys in 2023 is a dick move, imo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

no the zoreaux/ van damme bit was a quebecois language suppression thing. I read about it in this thread

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

the zoreaux name gag and danny going from the nicest puppy dog of a guy to a stone cold killer when representing his country were honestly the most believable parts of the whole goddamn show. and they had a lot of build up to execute well which makes me think they were written long before s3 got rolling.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I don't really think you can argue that he wasn't good at his job. He may not have been an expert at the game (although he was the only one to recognize the off-sides in the final episode) but he knew that and got Roy and Beard to fill in the gaps.

He clearly provided a critical role to the team by being a motivator and handling interpersonal relationships and development.

The motivator part I'll give you, but it's just laziness for him not to have become a reasonable authority on the game after three years of being paid so much to coach football. He would have been a much more effective coach if he knew enough of the intricacies of the game to be able to suggest specific improvements (and not to leave everything to his assistants who, in Beard's case, actually DID put in the effort and learn how the game worked.)

TK-42-1 posted:

the zoreaux name gag and danny going from the nicest puppy dog of a guy to a stone cold killer when representing his country were honestly the most believable parts of the whole goddamn show. and they had a lot of build up to execute well which makes me think they were written long before s3 got rolling.

Yeah, I dunno why everyone hated that, I thought the Dani thing was great, especially the way he immediately became so sweet and apologetic again after the games were over.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I dunno why everyone hated that, I thought the Dani thing was great, especially the way he immediately became so sweet and apologetic again after the games were over.

I liked it until they wrote Zoreaux’s nose injury as a permanent, life-altering one (unless I misinterpreted the ‘if I don’t wear this mask I’ll die’ bit?)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I interpreted it as he would die if hit again before it healed. But if they reboot this show, he will still have the stupid zorro mask.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
fwiw there's real life precedent for players wearing masks long after they need to (article is dated March 2023, he was still wearing it last game of the season for Napoli last month)

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/napoli-doctor-why-nigeria-forward-osimhen-still-wears-protective-mask/bltf37bc7c2c9da411e

quote:

[Victor Osimhen] sustained an eye socket injury during a Serie A match against Inter on November 22, 2021.

The injury forced Osimhen to undergo surgery and he was sidelined for three months as a result of the facial problem.

Osimhem returned to action on January 17, 2022 and has been sporting a protective face mask ever since.

"Osimhen is perfectly healed, he's still wearing the protective mask because it gives him a sense of security, but he's healed," Ruggiero told Radio Marte late last season.

"He has his own balance and wants to wear it. Hopefully this mask will be enough until he feels safe and takes it off. Not before then. I have still seen for a check, but as soon as he returns, we will have intense work to do.”

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think it's funny that a professional footballer would wear a mask he doesn't like. there's like a team of doctors and physios who'd fit him a proper mask, everyone plays with a black mask rather than the ugly transparent plastic thing, couldn't he just pick the one he likes?

but at least it had payoff so, you know.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Adrianics posted:

Lol it's 100% coming back

https://twitter.com/nickmohammed/status/1666106940471009282

I'd be very surprised to see Brett Goldstein involved, I would think he's too busy with his commitments in Hollywood.
My thoughts of this trio coaching-wise, Nate as the boy genius soccer mastermind makes Beard as the X's and O's tactical assistant pretty redundant. Beard should've moved back to the US with Ted and brought his girlfriend. also Nate being a brilliant young coach with a successful run at a top club under his belt before his abrupt departure would be highly sought after as a head coach in all sorts of places. Plus now that Rupert the owner is disgraced he can't really tank Nate's name and Nate will be even more attractive as a coaching candidate for being wise to leave. Meanwhile the angry grunting gimmick guy filling the Ted role of motivator won't work.

anyway this annoying show was slightly charming for a few moments in s1 and I shouldn't have kept watching it and I'm glad it's over. Nate becoming insanely evil when he took the new job and just insulting people for fun only to completely 180 because he got a girlfriend was so poorly done. Him feeling resentful against Ted for what was basically his own lack of self-respect/other people's perceptions throughout his life, and his defection, was the one good part of the all-too-sunny s2. but I guess the show only had room for a single cartoon-level villain and needed to restore everyone else to good kind people. I think if you hadn't come to dislike the show already then you'd like this finale

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 9, 2023

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah Nate could write his own ticket anywhere. Really any of the Richmond coaches could because it’s clear their success was about coaching due to the introduction of total football and turning Jamie from a ball hog into a team lynchpin, combined with their meteoric rise to second place. They’d be getting manager requests from everyone.

Nate too - first time managing and his team is the best in the league pretty crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Nate’s character is terrible and so is the acting. The only thing cringier then keeping this crap going is giving that little goblin more air time