Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm a big fan of Nick Mohammad and Nate's character arc, so loved this episode. Great to see the seeds of his redemptive arc start to bloom, clearly he's starting to become uncomfortable with the general vibe around the place at West Ham, being a twat like Rupert is clearly doesn't come naturally to him and you can see the cracks start to show as he picks up on more and more of Rupert's shadier antics. I thought it was really well-executed to see that he regrets how he left Richmond and feels bad at how he spoke to Ted, and the parallel of this with Ted being uncomfortable at the others treating Nate as being completely beyond redemption and as a target of anger, justified by what happened in the second half

Also loved Rebecca keeping it together and scolding Rupert privately rather than confronting Bex with his infidelity, big win for her. Rupert telling Nate to call him "Mr Mannion" in private then "Rupert" in public was fantastic, just the kind of petty gaslighting and power moves you expect from such a horrible human being in a place of authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I don't think so? The post I was quoting (I think) was saying Rupert was just exerting control over Nate in order to gently caress with him. I'm saying it's a part of a PR stunt by Rupert, to make sure everyone gets to see him going "Please, call me Rupert :smug:" in a public setting. If he'd not told Nate the opposite in private, Nate wouldn't have been prompted to set him up for it at the party by calling him "Mr. Mannion" as explicitly instructed.

I do agree; it's definitely double-edged, both reminding Nate exactly who's in charge in all circumstances and setting up that cheap "gee shucks ain't I such a humble man" bullshit in the members' club.

It reminded me of Rupert buying Nate a car in season 1; he gets to portray it as magnanimous and generous to anyone who asks, but really it's a reminder to Nate: "I gave all of this to you, and I can take it away too".

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I posted last week about how much I've enjoyed Nate's trajectory, and it's because it mirrors so much of what happened to me in my 20s; I got some minor success in my field and the praise went straight to my head, leading me to associate with some incredibly toxic people which compelled me to act in ways that were counter to my innate nature. When that whole shitshow inevitably went south, I had to build myself back up by succeeding whilst being myself, which allowed me to form a much more productive network.

I loved Nate at the Greek restaurant; he's learning that the kind of people he always wanted to associate with due to being blinded by their power and influence are not actually the kind of people he wants to associate with given the chance, and that he simply doesn't have it in him to be the kind of person who will be fully accepted into their circle. He's become fully confident in his abilities as a manager, which is well-deserved, but now he's learning that he will get respect, friendship and admiration by being unashamedly himself rather than being what he believes people want him to be. Jade having a platonic dinner with him felt completely natural and a logical step in his journey.

I also loved Ted coaching his way out of a panic attack, the seeds being set for Jamie leading the team out of a crisis and Keeley actually following through with firing Shandy without hesitation.

As someone in a voluntarily childfree marriage, I had a similar reaction to others to Rebecca's storyline - can she not just be a boss bitch who is awesome if flawed, without worrying about her bio clock like some sitcom character - but I greatly appreciated Kafila's explanation that this is aftereffects of her toxic marriage.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I hate what you've done to me :laugh:

Wonderful little episode, full of good vibes and they continue to surprise me in the best possible way with Nathan's storyline. Adored what we learned about his father in this episode.

Was I the only one who thought that the Home Secretary had a huge resemblance to Julia Hartley-Brewer?

Could someone explain the significance of "that's not number four"? I don't remember.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 27, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know this show is all about positivity, but I find it very off-putting that the inappropriate and unethical actions by the therapist and Ted's wife are just not discussed with the seriousness they should be. It's illegal in some places for therapists to date former patients, but the show really seems to frame the conflict as just Ted not being able to or willing to "move on" and just ignoring the big big shadow cast on the end of his marriage by the fact that his councilor immediately started a relationship with his wife and patient.

I actually really hated the Diamond Dogs in that scene. What Jake is doing is, if not strictly illegal (although that's murky), definitely skeezy as gently caress and Michelle doesn't come out of it smelling of roses, and Ted is well within his rights to be furious, particularly as it's impacting the relationship he has with his son. I even think it would be Ted Lasso af for the lesson to ultimately be "your feelings are completely valid and you are getting hosed six days to Sunday, but you cannot let your impulses guide you. We will help you through this, but make sure you behave appropriately and not in a way that will get you further hosed over in future" rather than what we got which was basically "Ted you massive baby, they're allowed to go to Paris, how about you grow up a little?"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Someone way back said that each episode feels aimless and that there's no connecting tissue between episodes or one storyline tying everything together akin to avoiding relegation in S1 or aiming for promotion in S2 and that's definitely my problem with S3.

I know you're not supposed to watch Ted Lasso for realism but it's becoming increasingly irritating that each episode has an incident that would have enormous connotations IRL - most recently Isaac storming into the stand to confront a fan, but also Sam having a Twitter beef with the actual Home Secretary - and we're lucky if it's even mentioned again, let alone that it has long-lasting consequences.

I really don't know where it's all going or what, beyond some Captain Planet-esque lesson of the week, I'm supposed to be getting out of it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Another episode made up of very good to great component parts - especially loved the Roy/Keeley reunion although as already noted it was confusing after the flirty scene between Roy and the teacher - that just doesn't add up to a coherent or satisfying whole. It feels more like a sketch show than a syndicated comedy drama now.

Nate leaving West Ham off-screen and for sketchily defined reasons was loving terrible. The scene with his father was well-acted and directed but didn't feel entirely earned as this change of attitude from his father seems to have come out of nowhere.

As has been discussed already, they're really starting to strain the credulity of the football world now. Barely anybody cares about international matches outside of major tournaments, particularly not the late-March international friendlies I assume this episode is based around. A ten-game winning streak with this recently-promoted group of players would be considered a minor miracle and Ted would most definitely start to be sniffed around by bigger clubs.

Ted himself is barely in this episode, sacrificed once again for the Keeley Show which I refuse to believe a single person outside of the creative team gives a flying gently caress about. The scenes with Rebecca and Keeley are starting to feel like that Spinoff Showcase episode of The Simpsons; "Who knows! An old friend from Richmond might just pop by and say hello!"

The Super-League subplot was unbearably patronising and the ending of it was ridiculous in both content and execution.

Rebecca taking the green matchbook out of her handbag just reminded me of that utterly bizarre sideplot with the psychic that just seems to have been dropped without a word. Absolutely no mention of Ted's ex-wive and son either.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

The cynic in me is convinced that the huge rewrites weren't about Sudeikis suddenly wanting entire storylines and character arcs to be overhauled, but Apple demanding material that sets up the Keeley spin-off and a potential fourth season without Ted himself.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Oh, forgot to say that Sam Richardson is the loving man and is great in everything he ever does, including this episode.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

bobjr posted:

I do wonder if Nate's leaving was changed last second because they talk about how he was fired and it was somewhat expected, only for him to later mention he quit, despite the team doing well and only having a recent loss that looked bad on him.

It being entirely offscreen is just weird see how much focus he was getting.

I've been going over this in my head and god drat you are so right; him being fired after some slight against Rupert, or a single bad result, or he stood up for himself in some way etc makes his subsequent depression and his father being concerned for him, and the Rupert line about "some people aren't ready for their big moment" make so much more sense.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Not to defend the garbage show but he literally did that in the previous episode. He shunned Rupert's invite at the bar.

If that's genuinely why he got fired/quit, the show needs to make that explicit. As it stands, he resigned for unclear reasons.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

grobbo posted:

It definitely is deliberate ambiguity, the problem is just that the storytelling hasn't established any grounds for tension or curiosity about what might have happened.

We last saw Nate rejecting Rupert's womanising and getting a death-glare in response, after multiple scenes making it clear that his job performance isn't in question.

We've since seen that Nate is still with Jade and that she supports his decision, so it's not going to turn out that she slept with Rupert.

The show might flashback to give us a climactic argument between Rupert and Nate about Rupert's womanising (or show that Rupert specifically tried to sleep with Jade or that Nate caught Rupert with his secretary who then had to quit) but the viewer hasn't been given any reason to doubt who's in the right and who's in the wrong or what it's basically all about.

All we're left with is 'exactly how much of a cad is Rupert?' which I don't think many audience members are really on tenterhooks to find out.

This perfectly sums up what I was trying to get at, thank you!

If Nate caught Rupert in some kind of compromising position, called him out on it and got a "don't you dare try to gently caress with me, I'll give you two choices: Resign, or I'll fire you and ensure you never work in football ever again", it would make his depression make a hell of a lot more sense... But then wouldn't make sense with the "do you regret resigning" conversation with Jade, so who knows. I have a lot less faith that they'll resolve this, tbh.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 22, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I cannot believe they're actually going to have Richmond win the title lol. That would surely be considered one of the greatest achievements in sporting history and ensure Ted's place in the pantheon of sporting legends.

Pep's cameo was loving terrible. IRL Pep would not be having a chummy little chat with his title rival and a former player if his team had just lost a game they only needed to draw to confirm themselves as champions, his acting was atrocious and his obviously ADR'd line sounded like poo poo.

Nate's story, once again very well acted and once I got over the incredulity of it all I actually liked that he tried to eke a modest living but can't outrun his notoriety anymore, but wtf was going on with that scene at the beginning. Why are the players so keen on him coming back? Not even hinted at previously, in fact the last time I remember them even mentioning Nate was when they got themselves so pissed off at him that several of them got sent off. Did his little apology note to Will somehow galvanise the entire team to not only entirely forgive him but also want him back in the coaching staff? Just weird.

Keeley actually being directly involved in a Richmond storyline and having an influence on what happened, who knew??

Jamie's plotline was great up until the completely asinine scene when the Man City fans, for absolutely no reason at all, went from showering him with abuse to applauding him off the pitch. I loving love the actor who plays his father and it was disappointing that he was reduced to a super-quick silent appearance in prison (???).

The "thank you, gently caress you" scene with Ted and his mother was fantastic, I think a lot of us have relationships with our parents like that. Best acting I've ever seen from Sudeikis, hands down.

This episode was an actual 75 minute runtime and they couldn't find a way to do the scene with Rupert's wife and mistress showing up at Rebecca's house without it feeling out of leftfield and nothing to do with anything that happened before lol.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 25, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

The Man City fans and managememt all being gracious and portrayed in the best possible light was likely a condition of them being so involved in the filming. Much like how West Ham was portrayed as all being decent outside Rupert.

Oh yeah sure but it was loving laughable, especially since the fans to a person were being twats then suddenly did an about-face because... He was injured? They could all hear Ted's pep talk?? They were impressed by his goal???

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Leicester city won the premier league two seasons after winning promotion, nobody remembers Claudio Ranieri as one of the most legendary coaches in the history of the game despite this stupendous achievement

A fair point well made, tbf

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

That Stonehenge scene was one of the most badly put together scenes I've seen in a major production in many, many years lmao it just looked like complete poo poo

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Nate discovering that he's happiest when excelling at a traditionally "lesser" role and isn't comfortable with the scrutiny and pressure of big jobs (uneasy is the head that wears the crown and all that) had a lot of potential and the finale just reminded me of how badly they botched it. I did, however, appreciate the US Office "assistant to" reference and that Nate reversed it by insisting on being called the less impressive sounding version.

With one regrettable exception, the final football game was actually well executed and felt fairly realistic. God knows wackier things than the owner confronting the manager during a game have happened over the years.

As has been the case all season, the writing of the individual scenes was consistently great. Leslie's line about change is up there with "be curious, not judgmental" for me.

Oh, and that spinoff we've all been speculating about is totally going to be Keeley managing Richmond Ladies, isn't it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

higgins valued the club at around two billion. he was the one who said they had offers for the 49% so you have to assume his estimate for the full thing is pretty close.

so how did the fans raise a billion to buy the 49%?

lmao I had this exact question but hesitated posting it because I was like "surely, surely, surely I am missing something"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Also, for all that Nate's arc this season was loving pointless, they actually wrote a perfectly reasonable arc for him, just gave it to the anchor-turned-coach guy for some loving reason. Having Nate get fired and humiliated for refusing to assault Jamie makes some sense, and makes the team showing up at his place to say they want him back come slightly less out of nowhere.

Oh my god, you are so right. This would perfectly explain why he's so depressed after leaving West Ham ("I'm being punished for doing the right thing") and would also give the scene with his father and his reunion with Ted a lot more dramatic heft.

Apple just dropped a nice video of the final day of shooting, but to me it seems to very, very heavily imply that the show is continuing without Ted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5VpJqRSaY

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 2, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Lol it's 100% coming back

https://twitter.com/nickmohammed/status/1666106940471009282

I'd be very surprised to see Brett Goldstein involved, I would think he's too busy with his commitments in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Penitent posted:

Title change to The Richmond Way?

I'm throwing my oar in that they're going to attempt an Arrowverse; new series of Ted Lasso now called "The Richmond Way" or something with a one-off cameo from Ted, a concurrent spin-off of the women's team featuring Keeley as manager with occasional "her friends from Richmond AFC might just pop by and say hello" cameos from the main players, and quite probably a single episode that crosses the two over.