Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wow that was a weird and heavy-feeling episode.

I literally had to go look up Vulture/AV Club articles to find out whether "yes in 2023 a footballer being gay would be a huge deal, even as presented in this show". Course the article I read started out saying Colin's car was a Lamborghini so :wtf: . Not all fast-looking cars are Lamborghinis you numptys

But the whole scene at the restaurant was slow-moving and atmospheric in a way that made me feel like I was missing something about the directing. I've gotten trained to look for the significance in every single camera shot, like in any scripted show there is definitely a reason why they storyboarded and set up and budgeted for and shot every single camera cut, there is something significant you are supposed to notice happening every single time it happens. But in that restaurant scene there were a lot of cuts where hardly anything was going on aside from "so-and-so walks by" or "so-and-so talks with their friends at a table". It went on and on and on, and I guess the whole effect of it was to set up the dramatic tension for the Trent/Colin reveal at the end by establishing a nice cozy and significance-free flow of scenes leading up to it. Really interesting how it played, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Adrianics posted:

Also loved Rebecca keeping it together and scolding Rupert privately rather than confronting Bex with his infidelity, big win for her. Rupert telling Nate to call him "Mr Mannion" in private then "Rupert" in public was fantastic, just the kind of petty gaslighting and power moves you expect from such a horrible human being in a place of authority.

And as with all such "power move" bullshit, there's a perfectly good rationale for it from Rupert's perspective: It sets Nate up to call him "Mr. Mannion" in public the next time he sees him, so Rupert can say "Please, call me Rupert" in front of everybody so they all get to see that exchange and have it reflect well on Rupert

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looten Plunder posted:

Did you just repeat the exact same point that you were quoting?

I don't think so? The post I was quoting (I think) was saying Rupert was just exerting control over Nate in order to gently caress with him. I'm saying it's a part of a PR stunt by Rupert, to make sure everyone gets to see him going "Please, call me Rupert :smug:" in a public setting. If he'd not told Nate the opposite in private, Nate wouldn't have been prompted to set him up for it at the party by calling him "Mr. Mannion" as explicitly instructed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am really wondering what the hell kind of shoe is going to drop with Zava.

Before we met him and he was just a name spoken in hushed tones, I thought for sure he would turn out to be either a) an insufferably smug and egotistical rear end in a top hat that everyone will immediately hate, or b) not actually any good on the field somehow. But both of those are not true, he's as good as his legend suggests and his weird philosophy seems perfectly wholesome thus far, at least no big red flags. The whole team loves him, even Jamie now.

At this point if there's a heel turn coming it's going to have to be something like he's secretly a murderer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Based on pre-existing formatt / characters from NBC SPORTS" lmao what the gently caress. Did it always say that?

Escobarbarian posted:

Henry being the bully was wildly obvious.

Yeah didn't they just do this in ... I want to say, Cobra Kai?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, somehow I forgot about that. Lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was weird that despite everything being self-consciously UK centric, the writers keep putting American vocabulary in the British people's mouths, like "line out the door" and "afraid of elevators"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, that's a good point. This is an exaggeration but it kinda feels like the guys on the team have all devolved into a wisecracking peanut gallery who all just occasionally pop up to give us a one-liner and then disappear.

Trying to remember what Simpsons episode it was where all the bit characters just paraded by the window to deliver their catchphrases: "Excellent!" "Ha-ha!" "Okily dokily!" etc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blue squares posted:

Rebecca the billionaire in an Apple TV show has an android???

Not anymore

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fourth level is that it was a dud batch and he was just really in the groove because that BBQ sauce was so good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

By a guy who was depicted with zero red flags, and set up as basically perfect and idealized. The message being what, sexual assault is cool if it's by a nice guy? It is to lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love Sam's dad :swoon:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Loved that bit in the car:

"Did you make things weird?"
"Yes of course I did."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What is up with the gray hair anyway? It happened all of a sudden and I thought it was going to be some Twin Peaks poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know why the Diamond Dogs dog-talk is the funniest thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I thought was odd was how the "point" of it kept vacillating back and forth between "delete that poo poo" and "no we shouldn't have to delete that poo poo" and ultimately I wasn't sure what point the show was trying to make or what stance it was taking. I got so distracted trying to relate it to my own life and whether I have any photos of other people who might not want me to have them or that I would mind having posted on twitter, or getting sidetracked by "wait, ANY pictures of ANY other people?" or other weird hypotheticals where I pictured deleting 30,000 photos and changing all my paswords

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Skeezy posted:

With Jack I didn't notice it at first but when she introduces Keeley to her friend during mini golf she introduces her as a friend. When at the beginning she was talking about how great it would be to show off her girlfriend.

Yeah, that really stuck out. Keeley didn't call her on it at the time but I felt like that right there was where she started realizing that this relationship was doomed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not sure what to make of the shift to hour-long episodes. It really gives the whole show a way different feel.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feel like there's too many characters

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder if some earlier draft of the season had Zava still on the team for that scene, with hijinks ensuing

Otherwise wtf is this season (or Zava) even about

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here lies Ted Lasso

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not sure what to even say about this episode.

I felt that the Colin plot was leading up to something like this for a while, but I didn't expect it to take up an entire episode, or to feel so weirdly contrived

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think it would probably be a fair guess to say that for well over half of Americans, the first time they've ever heard the term "Premier League" in their lives will have been on Ted Lasso.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I grew up as a baseball kid and the 162-game season is much more what feels "natural" to me. They happen almost every day, and going to a game is a casual day out for city dwellers. One loss isn't so bad, a 10-game losing streak is where you start getting antsy. Football always seemed ludicrous to me: 16 games? That's it? And like the whole world comes screeching to a halt when it's time for a game

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will expand on my "contrived" comment earlier by saying two things didn't really click for me about the gay reveal plot:

1) Isaac being mad at Colin because "you lied to me" is a weak twist when up to that point it had been set up through snubs and acid side-eye glances that he was actually homophobic.

2) The fight in the stands being instigated by one gasp-inducing slur wafting out of the roaring crowd kind of goes against everything I had been led to believe about soccer crowds and their famously impeccable levels of decorum

As a series of story beats it works well enough, but it all feels so belabored, like they're stretching for each handhold on the way there

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that when someone unwillingly comes out to me after being friends with them for a long time my reaction is "glare at them and make them guess what I'm pissed off at, which they have every reason to believe is the bombshell information that just came out"

I certainly wouldn't be like "Oh wow, hey don't worry, your secret's safe with me, but I'm kinda hurt you didn't want to confide in me you know? Anyway not that it matters, this is about you not me, I don't mean to add to your pressures, you don't owe me anything"

That would be crazy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Did they seriously do the "Mae/Maybe" joke that Arrested Development is basically built on??

Also 1 hour 6 minutes :wtf: these episodes are just getting longer and longer now? is there an editors' strike?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I am going to brave the "bad at watching TV" waters and ask this question:

Why was everyone covered in food after the speech? Did they all get into an argument that devolved into a food fight? Did Akufo walk up and down the table throwing plates in people's faces? Did a food bomb go off?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SpiderLink posted:

They were all swayed by Rebecca's speech and turned Akufo down. He threw a fit since he's an idiot baby and threw food on all of them.

Okay, I'll take your word for it, I guess I just have some trouble picturing how it would have gone down physically lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brain Curry posted:

Writing that sounds hard. This season having important conversations happen offscreen feels like Liefield avoiding drawing feet.

I was gonna say, yeah, this is becoming a pattern. Maybe it's a style but also maybe it sucks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey, that's just a casualty of editing. All they need is about 40 more minutes of runtime and they can give all those storylines their proper due

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trying to adopt local Norwegian slang while bringing his own aw-shucks Iowa-bred earnestness leavened with 2023 social commentary

gelatinizing his own lutefisk

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe I'm just goon face blind, but who were the people who showed up at Rebecca's house?

It's not just you at least, one of the effects of this show's "each of the 937 plotlines gets 3 minutes in each 90-minute episode" texture is that you don't get to see certain tertiary characters for long stretches, even whole seasons. The whole time Jamie was dreading his dad being in the stands I kept thinking, would I have any idea who his dad was if I saw him? How long ago did we meet him, if ever? I thought the fat guy jeering at him from the stands in multiple shots was his dad and I was just gonna go with it

I want to know what Mae's poem was though. That ripped

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Literally half an hour into the episode before it explains why it's being so ponderous and dreary about Jamie, and more like an hour before we address the stilted and uncomfortable dynamic between Ted and his mom (who we've never met before so we have no idea why he's so awkward around her; is it just because she's here for some mysterious reason she refuses to explain or is there bad blood between them?). And yes I too would fly to England and spend a week hovering around Ted and stalwartly refusing to drop my reason for visiting which is to say "your son misses you"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm wondering where Jamie picked up that Mancunian accent when neither of his parents (I think, can't remember his dad) had much of one.

Just a Royle Family superfan growing up or what

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They hire her like "wow she's got an incredible bit, she's just deadpan all the time"

Six episodes into filming: "um, poo poo"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Also this show pulled so many punches with Colin's coming out story, like first it takes the cowardly route of having him only come out to the team so not doing the whole 'first openly gay footballer' plotline that would have perhaps felt inappropriate with the whole fantasy cartoonishness of the show and the fact that in the real world as of the year 2023 no active premier league footballer has over come out as openly gay, and yet despite being too cowardly to actually tackle a perhaps meaningful topic that might have had some nuanced criticism against the premier league and english football culture in general we still get the kiss during the post match celebrations, because why not, isn't colin brave? isn't this character growth? isn't football for everyone?

He and his BF kissing went completely unnoticed and unacknowledged by anyone. It was incredible, wasn't even a non-issue for the fans in-show, it was more like a figment of the TV audience's imagination

Anyway the flight attendant being all "what a loving rear end in a top hat" was a pretty rough LOL. I was in full "well at least everything is wrapping up all pat-like, and I can sit back and imagine if I were Ted and enjoying the bittersweetness of all of this and at least everyone thinks well of me as I exit" and then that line drops. That's the stuff nightmares are made of

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Put 'em away, coach

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taima posted:

Btw did Ted gently caress Rebecca? I had no idea what was going on in that conversation other than "We're making this intentionally ambigous like everything else we don't have the time or effort remaining to flesh out" and it was hard to focus on that conversation because all I could think was "Beard in a thong is a perfect analogy for this entire season"

Nah. They were just trying to do a "clever" fakeout to start the episode.

Ted's comment about the "when you called us about a gas leak :haw:" devolving into a Lasso-trademark fart joke was just about the most "yeah yeah, get on with it" I've ever felt in this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Adrianics posted:

lmao I had this exact question but hesitated posting it because I was like "surely, surely, surely I am missing something"

A wizard did it, offscreen between episodes