Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

the escape goat posted:

hell yeah, thank you for explaining it far clearer than I’d be able to.

Roy wasn't wrong about it being the thing they have played with since they were kids, either. It is the formation that was being played in my US youth soccer league since we were old enough to understand more than "is ball, go chase".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

He showed genuine enthusiasm and passion for something that was important to him and his family, and was able to articulate that even as someone famous and powerful clearly did not give a poo poo. In a moment when he could have been fake and dismissive to maintain status and popular attention, he instead was open and honest
Yeah but he is also a colossal dick to her specifically and repeatedly shows up at her place of work to harass her to varying degrees.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Feel like there's too many characters

Yeah, and frankly I do not give a poo poo about Keeley's plotline at all. The show has so many weird power-dynamic romances and does nothing with them, or even seem to think they are odd at all. This episode just ignored Rebecca's...everything and while I wasn't unhappy to not have her psychic bullshit further explored, it just felt like they just drop plot threads constantly and pull them back later as if nothing happened. Jade and Nate are just annoying, too, and pretty much totally unnecessary.

Nobody in the show going to call out the therapist dating a former client as being lovely? Really?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

spoon daddy posted:

between this and Sam sleeping with the owner of his club, this show is ridiculous.

this season is terrible and a big part of it is because they aren’t focusing enough on the football and the development there. Instead, we saw one or two minutes of football and 55 minutes of bad character development

We didn't even see it. We heard about it in the audio voice over at the start of the episode never to be seen again. I guess we see the West Ham players lining up at the start of the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also, football games are hard to get to. There are 17 games per season, only half of those at home. There are 38 premier league games per season, and then there are also the other league teams who are also likely within easy traveling range. In most US cities, if you don't actually have an NFL team in the city, you're looking at a pretty long travel time to see the games. Stadiums are relatively equivalent in size. It's a lot easier to buy tickets to a game or two of the premier league just because there are so many more of them. It's genuinely way easier to get into watching in-person football than it is the NFL, and their fan bases are comparatively larger. Also, imo, American football is a game practically designed for watching from home on TV compared to football.

The similar league comparison you are looking for might be to think of the premier league as like the NFL if American football was the most popular sport in the world and every other league in the pipeline was like the US college football experience, which has more similar levels of accessibility.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Another “put into numbers” way of looking at it is social media presence. The most followed NFL team on Twitter is the Patriots, with 4.6 mil. The most followed team in England is Manchester United, with 35 mil. Even West Ham United (who are a big team, though perhaps not the title-chasing behemoth they are presented as in Ted) has a Twitter following of 2.6 mil, which is still more than most NFL teams.
I always wonder what the fans and management of West Ham think of themselves being cast as the villains of the show.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Zava even nicely slots into Jamie's (again) realization that being a team player is good. Like, ok, Zava is a brilliant striker, but he essentially requires the entire team to play around him. Jamie doing his whole revelation speech about playing through him makes everyone else play better. There is a clear difference that fits in the shows themes and shows how they are very different and...nope, Zava just walks away for some reason.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

deoju posted:

This episode had some moments that felt like like the Ted Lasso I fell in love with. Still not up to snuff with season 1, but there were some great moments.
Agreed. It was a good episode. The only huge miss was Isaac, I thought, as said earlier.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So. Nate. At the end of last season we see him being a supposed brilliant tactician and a complete rear end in a top hat to the people he is in charge of. Ted is clueless but has enough people around that his team can kind of slide by tactically but is also supposedly a super effective motivator and coach. There is an obvious contrast here. This season though, Nate is still brilliant and Ted is still clueless but motivating, and there are zero consequences or effects of Nate being a complete rear end in a top hat, nor do we see this. So either Nate spontaneously decided not to be a dick for some reason and we just never saw it (tbf, we never saw him quit either so...) or he is still being a dick and it has had absolutely zero effect on his team.

What the gently caress.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taima posted:

Btw did Ted gently caress Rebecca? I had no idea what was going on in that conversation other than "We're making this intentionally ambigous like everything else we don't have the time or effort remaining to flesh out" and it was hard to focus on that conversation because all I could think was "Beard in a thong is a perfect analogy for this entire season"

No, but they wanted us to think that they did, briefly, since so many other loving major things happened offscreen this season.

Also, for all that Nate's arc this season was loving pointless, they actually wrote a perfectly reasonable arc for him, just gave it to the anchor-turned-coach guy for some loving reason. Having Nate get fired and humiliated for refusing to assault Jamie makes some sense, and makes the team showing up at his place to say they want him back come slightly less out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Teek posted:

If the actor stays around for a potential women's team spin-off, I could see him being the head coach while Roy stays the men's team head coach.
Oh good we can watch him be super weird and rom-com stalker-y around women again.