Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

George H.W. oval office posted:

He will probably have a panic attack with the news that his son has a new dad

seems the most likely thing

had a nice lol at all the papers putting west ham as a top 4 lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

A very ted lasso season:

Richmond get hammered by west ham in their first meeting of the season. Zava loses his form and Richmond go into a huge slump, tumbling down the premier league.

Zava asks to leave in the transfer window and possibly ends up at West Ham, then west ham dumpster Richmond out of the league cup. Nathan struggles to deal with star player/zava and west ham slip to fifth in the standings.

With the season on the line the final match of the year Richmond need only a draw to stay up, while west ham need a win and help to make champions league. Once again Richmond are relegated by a late winner, but west ham fail to make top 4, enraging rupert.

Richmond and west ham both have made improbable cup runs and will play the fa cup final at Wembley. Nathan needs the win to keep his job because Rupert's a dick, while Ted has already made the decision to quit after getting the team relegated twice in three years, but wants to motivate the team to give supporters something positive.

Richmond win the final and Nathan is immediately sacked. Ted hands in his resignation but tells Rebecca to hire the best coach he knows: Nathan. Nathan, now humbled, accepts the job on the condition that ted stays as assistant. Ted realises he's better as a motivator/assistant coach and the show ends with everyone making peace with their past.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ok maybe not. This people are real excited to watch their team play man city after 8 straight losses

i like trent's rainbow mug though

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 12, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

cant cook creole bream posted:

Not winning 8 times is not quite the same as 8 straight losses.

ah I thought it was losses. either way 8 games without a win from near the top of the table is a hell of a hit to the fans

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Keeley/jack stuff hits real weird for me. Keeley and Roy seemed like they didn't really want to call it quits, and fair play for moving on but it's gone to the strange place of hooking up with the person who's financed the company. Not a fan of the weird power dynamics there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The return to football focus was pretty nice

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Evil Badman posted:

Recent Basketball interview has large Lasso energy: https://twitter.com/blader/status/1651619414780051456

drat that's a good answer

Slotducks posted:

I can't stand the Nate x Jade arc - so loving awkward and feels straight out of the mid 2000s when the rest of the show is a decade and half further along

If you told me the writers room was all men I'd believe you.

Yeah I'm not a fan of it, but I haven't really been able to place why. Maybe because Nate has become such a dickhead? I don't really know

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

Nate had a big creepy gift that was going to skeeve that poor woman out and was set up to lambast the fact that we used to reward creepy stalker behavior in men and then it got smooshed by a truck, he's the villain of the series right now, and I feel like there's still a chance for her to realize what a weird little incel gremlin he is when fate doesn't intervene to drive a car over that behavior.

So I'll be really disappointed if this whole thing is just a meet cute or the beginning of his redemption. He's a stalker rear end in a top hat.

That's a good way of putting it. The box thing was a terrible idea for a hostess he barely knows who has shown pretty much indifference and pity (once) towards him while he's spent loads of time trying to play his "I'm a big shot" cards.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The whole locker room "what if..." "Delete it!" Scene felt like it was going to break into a musical number at any moment. The cuts and rhythm of speech had big musical energy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe Nate stays bad and the dr dates Ted's wife because that might be all that you get, that might well be it. Heaven knows you tried to make them better (but failed)

Ted did show up and say he wants his players and people around him to be the best they can be.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weirdly enough not exploring Ted's past in heavy heavy detail but through snippets worked really well in the early parts for me.

quote:

Nate's relationship with Jade is bizarrely surface-level too and feels insanely awkward and random as a result. They were just like "it would be cool if the dorky guy became suave" without thinking of the actual implications of maneuvering the arc in that way, which is frankly the show in a nutshell at this point.

Nate never became suave. He makes me think of bill from king of the hill, where the moment he gets a little ahead he becomes an arrogant dick.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The hey jude thing was dumb, as have been many scenes this season.

I mentioned to a friend that I was saddened at the lack of football and football related plot this season and got told off because "the show was never about football" :mad:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tbf he just got that job after switching from waterboy. I would've thought rupert would put him up if anything.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Okay, and I ask this in full ignorance: where does the money come from? Like, I assume fans of the Detroit Lions are almost entirely from Michigan, and there's like 10 million people in Michigan. That's more people than live in London, and London is divided up between 7 teams, so like, I just don't understand how any one of these teams is worth that much. Is it just from like, television syndication and stuff like that for the league itself? Does the Premier League get much play outside of Britain?

tv money, same as the nfl

there are like 300000 people who live in cincinatti or kansas city. where does their nfl money come from? the premier league is like the most popular sports league in the world.

i don't mean this from a doxxing point of view but where do you live that the premier league has 0 presence?

lmao at jamie's face trying to figure out where ted is going with his halftime speech

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 10, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sash! posted:

It is so unusual to me that you'd focus that way. The NHL spent decades trying to overcome that the league was focused on four cities for the first 40 years. If New York had 10 MLB teams and the rest of the country had 20 I'm not sure it would actually be a national sport.

Wait which four cities because they're called the original six

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

really wanted nate's dad when talking about the violin to break out the "I thought the music mattered" bit from brassed off

this show is all over the goddamn place. the whole super league send up speech felt way off in tone for some reason

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bobjr posted:

I honestly thought they were going to laugh her out of the room after the speech.

But it’s a weird whiplash on how Rupert was treated from last episode to this one

Tbh I was surprised Rupert showed up. I expected he would get Rebecca to the meeting and leak the idea so when the idea collapsed and the fans revolted Rebecca/Richmond would be getting slagged off and he'd be laughing away at west ham.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

There are so many better ways they could have played it lmao. This season is a loving disaster. I haven’t been this disappointed in a show in ages. Thank god for Roy and Jamie and the few decent jokes in each episode.

The jersey gift was pretty good, changing the letter is such a completely wtf?? thing to do

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the escape goat posted:

Roy Kunt. there ya go.

I mean yeah he changed it to kunt, but I I figured even Jamie would know that's a dumb as poo poo thing to do with roy's jersey from his first world cup appearance. I would've thought Roy had already been given it tbh

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lister posted:

Cutting away to anyone else's reaction also felt lazy to me. Like, no one is going to argue with her? I don't know much about the football business, but couldn't you make an argument that forming a super league outside of FIFA's monopoly would be good for the sport?

Clubs tried to make that argument a few years ago. It did not go well for them

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There was an additional thrower by the painting of a grassy knoll

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

pokeyman posted:

Thinking back about this week's episode, yeah there were a lot of pointless callbacks to past seasons. Must've been some confusing poo poo in there. The Roy-teacher interaction must've been baffling. Ditto Rebecca's monster pose.

The roy-teacher thing was extremely confusing because I thought it might go "oh hey Roy might let go of the Keeley thing, and the teacher is nice" but nope

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

it was only 2 years ago, and aren't the spanish clubs still trying to sue the others for saying they would participate then not?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It was a very good vibes football comedy/drama kind of show until it went so far up its own butt it was nestled next to a cellphone

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

a much better episode than a lot of what went on this season, but there's still a bunch of stuff in here I don't care much for.

last day title decider is such a stupid idea

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm kind of digging fight club Nate as a west ham fan in a coma after a fight with Millwall

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So is Ted also going to quit between episodes and it's up to Nate to win the title in the last game? City are still up by 2 points iirc so ted could win and not get the title

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chamale posted:

Van Damme changing his name bothers me. I'm French-Canadian, with a name that often gets butchered, and I'm proud of my name. It seems out of character for him to pick an easier-to-pronounce French name, at the suggestion of someone with a kid named Smingus Dingus.

I thought he went with van damme because he loves the muscles from brussels though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chamale posted:

He does, but we never see any indication before that scene that he didn't like being named Zoreaux. I related to him constantly asking people to pronounce his name correctly. I could change my name to one that English-speakers could easily pronounce, but I haven't. So, Van Damme's name change seemed to come out of nowhere.

I took it as him being really excited that he could name himself after JCVD rather than any kind of protest against the anglos. The same as if you tell a child they can be anything they want to be when they grow up they'll tell you they're going to be a dump truck or something.

It came out of nowhere because zava existed to be zany and weird then disappear into the ether after doing.... something? maybe? with the plot

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

it was fine, some good some bad but I've already forgotten chunks of it. I had been expecting another richmond player to have a boyfriend at the wedding when that scene started.

What did ted's kid say at the end when ted asked him "what do we always say?" I've run it back like 10 times and the closest I can get to words is "be a goal tender" but it sounds more like "be a gultvan" which is definitely not english

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

EvilHawk posted:

This might be just framing etc. but Zoreaux clearly punched that ball outside of the area before the offside.

As soon as he touched it I assumed that the red card would be the adversity they had to overcome.

I'd completely forgotten who the west ham coach was somehow.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Hausu Usher posted:

There's so many little things that just annoyed gently caress out of me these past two seasons, I was addicted to hating this show.

Richmond die hards (who never watch the home games live, perhaps priced out?) buy a loving millionaire her pub lunch as a thank you? Fucccck upppp.

I can see someone doing that, but weirder is that at a pub in the UK someone didn't pay at the bar when they ordered

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Max cruising to pole by nearly a half second, oof

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Data Graham posted:

Why the hell did everyone lose their poo poo cheering when Ted said it was "perfect"? Was there some significance to the word "perfect" that I missed?

They lingered on the cheer for like a minute, I was looking around like what on earth is going on

It was pretty over the top and ruined the "oh, that's kind of cute and touching in a weird way" moment

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

no the zoreaux/ van damme bit was a quebecois language suppression thing. I read about it in this thread

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What really got me about the song was how the team jumped around screaming when ted said it was perfect. It could've been a nice sappy "thanks fellas" and the team giving him an emotional hug or whatever, but they all go off like children who opened an N64 on christmas. It seemed like a strange reaction to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Not anymore, players used to be 'cup tied' in certain competitions but these rules were dropped a few years ago cause they sucked.

Cup tied is still a thing for a bunch of competitions

Edit: specifically cups