Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lister posted:

Nate's story seems very predictable though. The moment there starts to be small problems, the twitter reaction will be negative which will throw him off, then his performance will spiral, and Rupert's affection will reverse. Nate will realize that the positivity he was getting at west ham was conditional, but the love he was getting from Ted was unconditional. I'd be surprised if they twist it any more than that, but we'll see.

My problem with this thinking (and I'm sure that's where it's going), is that the vast vast majority of twitter reactions to him getting named manager of West Ham would've been negative. He was a kit man two seasons ago, jumping from that to manager of a Premier Club would've had practically the entirety of the fanbase shouting for Rupert to sell because what the hell is he thinking. Now I get it from a "oh he's screwing over Ted and Rebecca", but make him an assistant or something. I'm a big soccer fan so I do my best to ignore a bunch of the not even close to authentic stuff, but this one is a streeeeeeeeeeeeetch.

Also Nate would've been driving away from their training facility, not the stadium, but that wouldn't have been nearly as asthetically pleasing, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I swear I remember in an earlier episode he told Nate to call him Rupert as well, I'll have to rewatch.

I can barely remember what I had for breakfast, so I wouldn't put a bet on it or anything, ha.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I'm not expecting any more substantial out of the Zava story than him being a pissbaby about Jamie stepping up and challenging him for goals for a couple of episodes. Then Ted will get to him.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought Jack was the VC investor not Keeley's boss. Granted recent real world events have blurred the line between the two

She is, but depending on how the arrangement was setup, she could in theory still be her "boss" via seats on the board.

But then again in this show Keeley didn't know what CFO was, so I can't imagine they'd try to shoehorn in anything about a board of directors, ha.

So really the "worst" thing Jack could do is pull her funding which would lead to a close down, which I guess to enough people is "Jack is her boss".

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Strange Cares posted:

"Break up with me and you and all your employees will be jobless" is still a pretty bad power dynamic though.

Hey I can't argue that!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

went looking for a thing about the ted lasso rewrites and what the gently caress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Sudeikis#Personal_life

IANAL (but work for a law firm), and he would have absolutely zero to do with where she got served. You hire a process server in a "serve this person" capacity, not a "serve her on stage to publically humiliate them" one.

And generally speaking, if you have to get served in such a public place, you've done a good job ducking previous attempts.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Who's gonna get to buy a castle this time I wonder.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

stev posted:

I actually forgot about that. They did... nothing at all with it did they? We don't really know what happened or why, and it's not come up between them.

They handwashed it away via a phone call, Henry realized he hosed up and apologized to the kid via a rap I think, before Ted could even talk to him about it.

Just a MacGuffin to get/keep on the "Ted realizes he's missing his kid" plot.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

And, y'know, they're buds. He dated one of her best friends, they've definitely spent time together and have gotten to know one another in a non-workplace capactiy. And it's not like this is the first time one of them has half lectured the other (Roy after the double date last season).

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

George H.W. oval office posted:

This was the first episode that I personally felt was just noticeably dragging to the point of “let’s get on with it.” It’s been dragging for sure the entire season but there was some sort of breaking point for me this week. God what a mess of a season.

This sums it up for me as well. This whole season has been a trainwreck, but a somewhat entertaining one. This whole episode just felt like a bunch of nothing (other than the finale of the season-long backdoor pilot to the KJPR spin-off).

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lister posted:

Speaking of darker light, the restaurant owner going from an enthused fan for Nate to snorting coke in his office and doing untold poo poo under the table. That guy seemed like a well-meaning rear end, but that little scene reframes everything in the worst way.

I grew up in the restaurant business so it was more than obvious to me that dude was a coke head, I was just surprised that Apple had the guts to basically show it honestly.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

EvilHawk posted:

I'm sorry, I know this is a fantasy TV show, but there's just no way Nate quits as a Premier League football manager who's challenging for the tile, to work in a restaurant. It's so utterly unbelievable. Just incredibly stupid and I wonder what the original Nate storyline was before the rewrite because this is awful.

The entirety of anything having to do with the Premier League in this show has always been unbeliveable though. Ted doesn't know poo poo about soccer but somehow managed to get all his UEFA coaching badges?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Adrianics posted:

Pep's cameo was loving terrible. IRL Pep would not be having a chummy little chat with his title rival and a former player if his team had just lost a game they only needed to draw to confirm themselves as champions, his acting was atrocious and his obviously ADR'd line sounded like poo poo.

The biggest thing that bothered me about Pep is that Ted and Beard went all fangirly after the chat. That's a moment that they would've had with one another at least 5 previous times since Ted has taken over.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

but he DID independently invent total football which requires an absolutely insane amount of physical conditioning which simply cannot be done in the middle of a season the way the show thinks

They at least had Roy call out the stupidity of that move. And then it ended up working, so.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

ilmucche posted:

So is Ted also going to quit between episodes and it's up to Nate to win the title in the last game? City are still up by 2 points iirc so ted could win and not get the title

City is up by one point after the Richmond win. At the press conference with Roy/Jamie/Sam at the beginning of the last episode it's mentioned they're down four with two matches to go.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Golli posted:

All the "what happened after Ted left Richmond" events such as Beard's wedding at Stonehenge, Roy becoming manager, etc, were all just a dream he was having on the way back to Kansas City and are therefore not canon.

This excuses the bad CGI, since Ted probably only had a vague notion of Stonehenge for his dreamself to work with.

Why would Ted dream about people he never met though? The couple from "Beards Night Out" is at the wedding, and Ted never met them. I don't think they were mentioned at all other than that one episode.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Then it pans out the window of the airplane to a snowglobe behing held by...poo poo who's a good substitue for the kid from St. Elsewhere?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I didn't want to be too obvious since she had all of them in her office!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Sash! posted:

They are in the sense that no one else owns the team. There's no main owner. The whole arrangement is strange.

To add: shareholders do get to vote for the president and board of directors, which is pretty much all you're getting when you own one share of any other company.

You can't sell Packers shares like you can with any other company though. All you can do is transfer them to family members.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

bobjr posted:

Nate quitting/getting fired offscreen is probably the worst of those, since I honestly thought I missed an episode at first

Pretty much everything important in Nate's arc this season was done off screen, it's mind boggling.

But hey we did get the farewell dance!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

LividLiquid posted:

It is so loving bananas unethical for a marriage counselor to date a former client that I'm loving gobsmacked that the show landed on Ted being the bad guy for being pissed about it.

Not only that, it was supremely unethical for him to go from just being her counselor to being their couples counselor. That's a "let me refer the two of you to someone" situation. Couples counseling is a whole different ballgame.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

socialsecurity posted:

Wait I missed this part, he was her solo one first?

Yeah I swear there was a bit in S2 where Ted was in with Dr. Sharon and went through the whole ordeal with her starting only with him solo, then Ted came in. I could be off base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Or it could've just been "hey I just got back to the country the first thing I want to do right from the airport is see my kid".

Whole lotta speculation in here based on a 5 second scene, ha.