Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

stev posted:

I don't know much about company trading (beyond what the psychopaths in Industry get up to) but could Rebecca have agreed to sell the shares to the fans below their estimated value?

this is the only thing i could guess as well. seems like terrible business though, and also even if she gave them a very generous 75% discount it still seems like too much for the fans. fans buying a club irl are usually dong it to save a club from going under so the sums are nowhere near what we're talking about here.

anyway it's a minor detail that doesn't really matter compared to the other massive problems this season had. it was all over the place with a few good moments and a boring ending left open for a spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Adrianics posted:

lmao I had this exact question but hesitated posting it because I was like "surely, surely, surely I am missing something"

A wizard did it, offscreen between episodes

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

They stuck the landing in that the plane impacted the runway with no landing gear and skidded to a halt before bursting into flames. But it's down at the place where it's supposed to be!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

All the "what happened after Ted left Richmond" events such as Beard's wedding at Stonehenge, Roy becoming manager, etc, were all just a dream he was having on the way back to Kansas City and are therefore not canon.

This excuses the bad CGI, since Ted probably only had a vague notion of Stonehenge for his dreamself to work with.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Golli posted:

All the "what happened after Ted left Richmond" events such as Beard's wedding at Stonehenge, Roy becoming manager, etc, were all just a dream he was having on the way back to Kansas City and are therefore not canon.

This excuses the bad CGI, since Ted probably only had a vague notion of Stonehenge for his dreamself to work with.

Why would Ted dream about people he never met though? The couple from "Beards Night Out" is at the wedding, and Ted never met them. I don't think they were mentioned at all other than that one episode.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

He met them off screen, in between episodes

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Alternatively, he dreams everything from 5 minutes and 45 seconds into the show's first episode (when he tells Beard that they'll meet each other in their dreams and goof around) and never actually gets to Richmond at all.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Then it pans out the window of the airplane to a snowglobe behing held by...poo poo who's a good substitue for the kid from St. Elsewhere?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Tweak posted:

Is the owner of a team going down onto the pitch not normal? Maybe it would be different if the owner had to walk through the opponent's sideline first, but you see owners on the field all the time in American Football, just usually not assaulting anyone. That said, if Jerry Jones walked onto the field and pushed Mike McCarthy around absolutely nothing would happen to him, in his own stadium or away.

Something I've thought of before when watching or reading people's complaints about the soccer "realism" in this show, is sometimes the show feels like it takes story beats typical of American Football or generic sports media, then just replaces the sport with soccer. The win streaks, the video review uncertainty, the in season playstyle changes, they all remind of me of stuff that would happen either in Football normally or be in a movie based on Football.

Owners on the field during the game is basically unheard of. They have a directors box and they stay there. Rarely you'll get away team owners being at the stadium (if you've seen Welcome to Wrexham you see Rob and Ryan go to an away game at the conference level and they're still very much kept away from the "normal" fans and surrounded by security).

pokeyman posted:

I had the same thought, but in retrospect I decided advantage was played. Though now I'm wondering if you can play advantage and then dish out the red card later?

If it's a straight red card (which an intentional handball out of the box to stop a goal would be) it has to be given immediately. There are more specific rules around a second yellow card that it's not interesting to go into.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

higgins valued the club at around two billion. he was the one who said they had offers for the 49% so you have to assume his estimate for the full thing is pretty close.

so how did the fans raise a billion to buy the 49%?

I don't know how businesses work but presumably if you issue enough shares you would be able to buy one for like a couple thousand quid. The stadium doesn't look massive and I think is based on Selhurst Park so taking that 25,000 it'd cost each person £80,000 to buy a single share to make £2b. They'd probably issue more than the stadium capacity so taking 100,000 shares would be £20,000 which is in the region of "a lot of money, but fans are crazy and would totally do it".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

esperantinc posted:

Then it pans out the window of the airplane to a snowglobe behing held by...poo poo who's a good substitue for the kid from St. Elsewhere?

Barbara

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Also, for all that Nate's arc this season was loving pointless, they actually wrote a perfectly reasonable arc for him, just gave it to the anchor-turned-coach guy for some loving reason. Having Nate get fired and humiliated for refusing to assault Jamie makes some sense, and makes the team showing up at his place to say they want him back come slightly less out of nowhere.

That's a really good point. I bet that was the original plan

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I didn't want to be too obvious since she had all of them in her office!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

stev posted:

I don't know much about company trading (beyond what the psychopaths in Industry get up to) but could Rebecca have agreed to sell the shares to the fans below their estimated value?

She was the sole owner so there weren't any shares to value.

She could simply have an IPO where she says "I'm going to split this company into 100,000,000 shares valued at $20 a share. I'm keeping 51,000,000 and selling the rest."

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

grobbo posted:

Alternatively, he dreams everything from 5 minutes and 45 seconds into the show's first episode (when he tells Beard that they'll meet each other in their dreams and goof around) and never actually gets to Richmond at all.

Ted’s dead baby, Ted’s dead.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Taima posted:

Good poo poo. I cackled so hard when I read this post that my wife thought I had gone insane, but it's so true.

:tipshat:

I'm suddenly remembering Bill Lawrence saying they were only expecting to have JSuds for three years tops, because of his schedule, but I haven't gone looking for when he said that. If I'm remembering correctly, it makes the resolution here look even sloppier!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The "Jade is a Nate hallucination" theory should have been true.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ted’s dead baby, Ted’s dead.

"On May 31 2023, Theodore 'Lasso' Richmond - so named after the brutal murder weapon used in the 34 "Lasso murders' that terrified Kansas - was executed today by lethal injection at Owl Creek Penitentary.

Warden Higgins and Dr Welton oversaw the death of Richmond, who had reportedly spent his final days obsessively watching soccer games in the prison's breakroom."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Golli posted:

Yes, this is clearly the case. When has a character jerking awake after a series of montages ever not indicated a dream sequence? The Stonehenge part in particular was intentionally goofy looking and exaggerated.

esperantinc posted:

Why would Ted dream about people he never met though? The couple from "Beards Night Out" is at the wedding, and Ted never met them. I don't think they were mentioned at all other than that one episode.

Bc the writers dgaf

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I would believe the club is worth more as a whole (idk £2 billion but whatever, insert number) than double what a non-controlling just-fundraising 49% would go for.

Also the anchor-coach guy was the first coach of Richmond we meet in S1E1, who is fired immediately by Rebecca upon assuming ownership, and also has his balls on display and commented on in that scene. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

EvilHawk posted:

If it's a straight red card (which an intentional handball out of the box to stop a goal would be) it has to be given immediately. There are more specific rules around a second yellow card that it's not interesting to go into.

Thanks! It's been a decade or two since I took a ref course :)

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

I thought it was weird that they had the last two songs be “Father and Son” and “Fight Test” considering their shared history:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/lips-nailed-for-cat-stevens-song-similarity-70380/amp/

I wonder if it was a coincidence

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

A couple of things that got a chuckle out of me were Barb's joy at seeing some blood, and the callback to the helmeted puppers in the free shot scene.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Wee Bairns posted:

A couple of things that got a chuckle out of me were Barb's joy at seeing some blood, and the callback to the helmeted puppers in the free shot scene.

Good call. Barb was one of the comedy aspects they did well this season. I also enjoyed her trying to get a high five awkwardly from Rebecca.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Also, for all that Nate's arc this season was loving pointless, they actually wrote a perfectly reasonable arc for him, just gave it to the anchor-turned-coach guy for some loving reason. Having Nate get fired and humiliated for refusing to assault Jamie makes some sense, and makes the team showing up at his place to say they want him back come slightly less out of nowhere.

That would have worked so well that you've convinced me that was the original plan. Even if it was something else, I can't wait until years from now when people close to the production start dishing the dirt.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

:tipshat:

I'm suddenly remembering Bill Lawrence saying they were only expecting to have JSuds for three years tops, because of his schedule, but I haven't gone looking for when he said that. If I'm remembering correctly, it makes the resolution here look even sloppier!

Let's not act like petering out in later seasons isn't something Bill Lawrence can do

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Hed posted:

Let's not act like petering out in later seasons isn't something Bill Lawrence can do

I'm not, I'm suggesting that JSuds leaving at the end of season wasn't entirely a surprise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hed posted:

At least season 8 was a pretty good ending.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

grobbo posted:

Yellowjackets tie-in confirmed

manero
Jan 30, 2006

They're gonna rename it AFC Richmond and it'll continue on in its mediocrity

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The show will be called WHISTLE

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

e: wow that's the way wrong thread sorry folks

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Brendan Hunt did an AMA on reddit today.

Why was Ted Lasso not at coach Beard’s wedding to Jane? Felt weird Roy was the best man!
There are a few reasons. The first is narrative: Ted just got on a plane and left the UK, it would be anticlimactic and deflating if we suddenly see him back there before we even see his plane lands. The other is that that’s just the kind of friendship Ted and Beard have.

Did Ted and Michelle get back together? Is that how we’re supposed to read the final scenes back in Kansas?
Ted and Michelle’s status is intentionally ambiguous. It would seem Jake’s no longer around. Ted and Michelle definitely care about each other, but they’re both very different people now than who they were. Unambiguous: their desire to be good parents for Henry.

My question is, as the show progressed from S1->S3 what were some of the more difficult conversations you and the team had behind the scenes? Obviously a lot was happening in the real world but in what aspects did that affect how the show was written/played out?
What comes to mind is COVID. We decided the show existed in a non-pandemic parallel universe because we hoped the show would be something people would come back to over the years. If we were wearing masks everywhere it might feel too time-stamped.

In old interviews it was mentioned you and Jason had an ending in mind but that Bill Lawrence had a different ending you loved and that you decided to go with that. What was the original ending you had in mind? Did you in fact stick with Bill Lawrence’s idea for the ending? Thanks!
Bill had a different ending for Season One, specifically. We were originally gonna have Richmond win the final game and heroically avoid relegation. One day Bill just comes out with “We keep talking about relegation! Why don’t they just get relegated!?” It was immediately obvious that this was the right choice.

Will Roy and keeley get back together? Please say yes!
Roy has work on himself he has to do first.

The rest of the reddit ama is basically just fluff.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

EvilHawk posted:

I don't know how businesses work but presumably if you issue enough shares you would be able to buy one for like a couple thousand quid. The stadium doesn't look massive and I think is based on Selhurst Park so taking that 25,000 it'd cost each person £80,000 to buy a single share to make £2b. They'd probably issue more than the stadium capacity so taking 100,000 shares would be £20,000 which is in the region of "a lot of money, but fans are crazy and would totally do it".

You also can account for deeper pocketed people buying a large number of shares, in order to set a low price per share. You issue 10,000,000 shares at £100. Some guy down at the pub that wants to buy a share drops the £100. Some rich guy that wants a 20 percent stake in an EPL team is buying 20 percent, regardless if he's having to buy 2 shares or 4,000,000 shares to get there.

Or you just ignore the valuation completely. The Green Bay Packers are valued at $7.5 billion and there's 5,000,000 shares. They last time they sold shares, they were $300.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Green Bay shares aren't real though

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hed posted:

This is a dumb joke in scrubs but easily funnier than anything that happened or was said in season 3

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i know there was a lot of reshoots and rewrites so i was wondering if there were any scenes that were cut that you wish weren’t??

Yeah, about that. The reshoots/rewrites thing has been WILDLY overstated. I can personally only recall that we reshot two scenes; one very busy locker room scene that was because of continuity or something, the other was just to make Zava’s bicycle kick more epic-looking. It was not- as I think the term reshoots implies- dissatisfaction with what we were seeing leading us to throw stuff away and start over. As for the notion of “rewrites” there was no more or less of that that there was the previous two seasons. We (particularly Jason, who has the final pair of eyes on any script) make changes all the way up to shooting, sometimes while shooting. And we always have. Here was a difference for S3: we headed out to London with out a full complement of completed episode scripts, which is not atypical. But this season was so all-consuming, and three of the main writers were so often having to spend time on camera, that we didn’t get to finish some eps concurrently with shooting, as is typical and was what we hoped we could do when we left. This season being maybe the final one, it was essential that we give the last episodes’ scripts the proper care. So there were two pauses in shooting where we reconvened the writers for a while and finished things up. And I think the distinction between “rewriting” and “finishing unfinished writing” is one worth noting.

Granted I guess I wouldn't expect, "yea we totally left a lot on the cutting room floor, the whole original story was axed"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Ravenfood posted:

Oh my god, you are so right. This would perfectly explain why he's so depressed after leaving West Ham ("I'm being punished for doing the right thing") and would also give the scene with his father and his reunion with Ted a lot more dramatic heft.

Apple just dropped a nice video of the final day of shooting, but to me it seems to very, very heavily imply that the show is continuing without Ted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5VpJqRSaY

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 2, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

stev posted:

At least season 8 was a pretty good ending.

The Scrubs original series finale was about as perfect a series finale as one will get and Season 8 was a major correction from it's previous seasons.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Season 8 of Scrubs is loving great because it had a concentrated effort to return to the feel of seasons 1–3. Season 9 gets a bad rap (it only existed because Bill Lawrence wanted the crew to keep their jobs) but the new cast was pretty solid and by the end it had found its footing.

Ted Lasso would've been significantly better and more cohesive if Lawrence had stayed on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CPColin posted:

Green Bay shares aren't real though

They are in the sense that no one else owns the team. There's no main owner. The whole arrangement is strange.

To add: shareholders do get to vote for the president and board of directors, which is pretty much all you're getting when you own one share of any other company.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finally watched the finale, after a weird really uneven season I found it mostly satisfying. Good way to say goodbye to these characters, kinda glad it's over. Zero interest in any spinoff attempts.