Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
It started really slow for the first month.

remember, they got to release the first three episodes from S1 at once, so they wrote them like 3 acts of a longer story.

they thought they'd get the same deal for S2 but Apple knew they had a hit so they wanted to drag out the season as much as they could so they released S2 one week at a time and I think they added the holiday bottle episode too.

it was hard to watch with the week-long gaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

EL BROMANCE posted:

Seeing reviews for s3. One thing I didn’t realize was that it’s now referred to as an hour long comedy, maybe some episodes length changes like usual but I’ll welcome the added fun time.

I like how the negative aspects of the review is essentially ‘the side characters are too well liked and interesting to just be side characters now’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/ted-lasso-review-apple-tv-season-3-1235347328/

trying to only skim and not read too much straight synopsis of the first four episodes, but I did enjoy this part:

quote:

Just because we’ve spent two years watching Goldstein, or at least Roy Kent, swearing at men, women and children alike doesn’t mean that the new season isn’t packed with some of my favorite Roy Kent obscenities. I offer “gently caress yeah, Princess Diaries” out-of-context as just one of several gems.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Just finished. Good start.

Feels like lots of story threads starting that will (hopefully) pay off in time.

Also, if the thread title is not changed to “Pooh Pey” I will be disappointed

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 15, 2023

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

this has already popped into my head a few times this morning and I laugh every time.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
even if it doesn't happen until after the season is over, I'd be interested to hear more about what happened with the rewrites.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Definitely feels like the 4-4-2 will be a major contrast. Nate wouldn’t do a 4-4-2 even if it was objectively the best option because it’s not clever enough? Can’t be the Wonder Kid with a 4-4-2

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I enjoyed the second episode, good plot development, not wasting time.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I’m not a Star Wars fan, but I appreciate how hard the costume & set designers are going in on making him the darth vader of the show

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

EL BROMANCE posted:

The ’shite in nineing armor’ bit is waived off as a joke mishearing of ‘knight in shining armor’… but Jamie Tartt is definitely a bit of a shite and happens to play number 9.

Yeah. Just based on the fact that they stopped production to rewrite “some number of episodes”, I think we can infer that every scene has impact and influence on the broader story itself.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Richmond and West Ham play each other during the next episode, according to the blurb on Apple TV.
Nate will have a plan for Zava, I think that much we can agree. Now,

-does it work and Zava is out for the season (injured/more blatantly attacked on field/Nate uses dirty tactics in some way/effectively neutralized in some other core way?) He's already gotten them 6 straight wins and in contention, right? Jamie will need to stand up fast and prove himself to be Richmond's Next Roy Kent, but the show doesn't waste time with advancing the plot so I don't think its out of possibility.

-does it not work and Rupert destroys Nate, either privately or publicly?

I think its been all-but-confirmed Richmond and West Ham will have at least a couple matches in the show, each serving as a frame for its own episode with dramatic consequences guaranteed whatever the result (even if they tie in a match?)

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 31, 2023

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Sash! posted:

Of course Zava would let his children name themselves.

And pointing out that passion can also be a fruit caught me off guard more than any other weird thing he's said.

I want to become Zava.

His line about passion was definitely the biggest laugh of the night for my wife and me.

Loved the episode, lots of plot movement again. There’s at least a half dozen storylines going on and they all get real movement each week.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
he says to Dr. Jacob’s trump impression ‘I’ve got a bone to pick with you Mr. ex-President’ though?

Not sure the exact date is super important.

I was thinking today it’s hard to pin down what Zava’s character development might be. They all start as two-dimensional character types who through some plot development, all become more nuanced and their motivations are fleshed out. Not sure about Zava though.

Will Rupert be the only major character to not have development? He’s always been the straight antagonist.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 7, 2023

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
That was a weird loving episode, especially the first half.

Plot movement:
-another 8ish games have passed?
-Zava is out, like totally out?
-Jamie is primed to step up?
-Ted is done with his bullshit?
-Nate has a chance to turn?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
the green matchbook and shite in nine-ing armor seem like such obvious misdirections and I have a theory on both but not sure how the writers will bring it together.

the green matchbook is a soccer playbook? They transitioned from Rebecca holding the Ola's matchbook to Nate holding a green playbook page in this episode.

the shite in nine-ing armor is Jamie, who wears number 9.

Could be wrong on both counts, but still, I wonder how it all comes together. Granted, Santa exists in the Ted Lasso universe, but I'd rather them not also pin Rebecca's major S3 plotline on a psychic.

e: ensemble cast and all, but I'm also wondering if they can possibly give satisfying resolution to all the threads.

Like, did Zava and Shandy just die on their way back to their home planets? Do they resurface for some reason? Do they need any 'redemption' or extra depth?

e2: the ADR on Ted's speech at the end bothered my video production brain a bit, but I also love the part at the end about 'the sign is just a sign'

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

the escape goat posted:

I can’t recall, did Zava say where his avocado farm is? my immediate thought upon hearing that was he’d be doing so in England and I cackled out loud. for some reason I’m now hoping the team gets an avocado gift basket from him for a completely random celebration.

Zavacados

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
63 minute runtime on this week's episode, according to the AppleTV blurb

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Loved it.

That’s the post. I loved this episode.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I also forgot the detail from the psychic that Rebecca would be upside down and wet but safe. can't remember her acknowledging it either?

also loved the call back to movie night or pillow fight from S1.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
that would also be a very screwed up story twist for the show? like hey now with half a season left to wrap this whole thing up, Rebecca was sexually assaulted? lmao

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Data Graham posted:

I love Sam's dad :swoon:

100%, loved the moment in the kitchen at the end.

Maybe… finally… again… this is the one where they’ve put it all together and next one will be a breakout…?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
also, as a premier league manager who got his team promoted the season after they got relegated, he has to be making millions, right?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Phenotype posted:

Why do people outside Britain care about the Premier League? Don't they have their own local teams to care about?

I’m American so I’m likely wrong but teams can get promoted and relegated in soccer, where in American sports, teams don’t really face similar levels of consequence for sucking. In fact in some cases it’s advantageous to tank the last bit of a season to ensure a better draft position next year.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
certainly feels like they're wrapping up Roy's "Ted Lasso" story by setting him up to be Manager of AFC Richmond for the spin-off. Rebecca told him to get his head out of his rear end, be a leader, and take accountability.

agree this one was better than the last few.

I think they did a 'good, not great' job with the Colin/Isaac stuff. My wife and felt similar with the, I'm like 99% sure this won't be an issue, but still 1%?

That episode also spanned a few in-universe weeks at least? Henry and his issues are just in a freezer box? Glad they didn't make it longer to fit in another storyline, but it lends evidence to the 'too many storylines' issue.

Whatever their narrative intent was with the Jack storyline, along with the Zava line, I'm not sure. If we don't see them again this season (Jack is gone for a few in-universe months, at least) or those threads are 'closed' as it were, that'd be weird. Zava feels like they needed to give Jamie motivation to step up and be accountable, but if that were the case, I think they could have accomplished that another way that took less screen time. Zava is Poochie. With Jack, was there nothing else Keeley could be doing this whole time? I read somewhere the Keeley actress (blanking) had limited time to shoot, so that's why most of her scenes involve the PR set/Jack/Barbara/Shandy, with some limited Rebecca time, but basically no one else from the core cast, at least in any significant ways. Its like KJPR would be another spinoff, but its happening inside of an existing show.

Nate/Jade/Rupert, not sure where that's going either? Nate sees Rupert as a slimy dude. The scene in the bar felt like if it were a Telltale game, there's be a "Rupert will remember this decision" notification in the upper corner. He'll hurt Nate in some way later, in his lovely, manipulative Rupert way. Maybe embarrass him in front of Jade? Who knows, but that's a guess at this point.

Where Rebecca's story going? Baby? Psychic?

Then the rest of the core cast - Beard's story? Sam? Higgins?

Characters we will/won't see again before the end?
-Sassy?
-Phoebe?
-Boat man?
-Psychic?
-Rebecca's mom?
-Dr. Sharon?
-Jane?

3 episodes, probably 2.5-3 hours of show. One episode will be vs. West Ham at home, certainly. Description for next week brings back Edwin Akufo.

I'll stop rambling.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 10, 2023

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
they're going to wrap this up in 2 episodes?

they're fine with a lot happening off-screen, but I'm still mostly confused by how this is playing out.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Between last week and this week, I think it’s been over a month of in-world time where apparently Michelle and Henry are just fine and dandy, nothing to report, no news is good news?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

stev posted:

I really liked that episode. :shrug:

I know people are talking like the series is wrapping up or heading for a spinoff - but they've specifically said they haven't decided if this is the end haven't they? I remember Nick Mohammed said on the Off Menu podcast the other week that he doesn't know if it'll carry on.

my uneducated guess is that negotiations are still live, or at least nothing is considered closed as far a negotiations go, with Apple. Of the core cast, who's interested and who's not interesting in making more in this universe, and what are the actual pitches being considered, dollar amounts, etc.

As a production matter, I think the firmest assumption is Sudekis is done with filming in London and needs to be in the US with his kids. It could be Season 4: Witchita Nights with Ted, et. al or it could be something wildly different or who knows.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
dragging, but also racing to the finish, in weird ways. this episode was 67 minutes long and big events happen between the editing cuts.

I think they could have cut Zava and Jack out entirely, still accomplished their narrative goals wrt Jamie becoming a leader and Keeley... still not sure what the narrative purpose of the Jack storyline is?, and spent more time on giving more context to Nate & his dad (which is instead resolved in like 8 minutes with his dad saying, "bbbut you were a genius all along, I didn't know how to handle that, okthxbye"), more context to Roy's hangups, more time for Ted and his kid, the whole psychic storyline seems to have disappeared? etc.

This last episode made me think about the whole "show, don't tell" principle in storytelling, with this season being so packed with characters and storylines, they have to just do a lot of "telling", like they don't show Roy struggling with his relationship with Keeley, the writers just have them tell Phoebe it didn't work out in a short scene at the beginning of the season; they don't show much dynamic to Nate & his dad's relationship, they just have his dad tell him "I loved you all along, I didn't know how to support you", etc.

I worry there's going to be more "one character telling another character about some major plot development" in the last two episodes, just because they don't have much time left to show the development more naturally.

Will we even see the West Ham @ Richmond match, or anything more than "it happened off screen while something else was going on"?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Pleasantly surprised by this one? As a dad, there were some feels, especially with Mae’s quote (not sure where that’s from) and Ted and his mom talking near the end.

The cliffhanger has me piqued. Good or bad, I’ll watch next week and then cancel TV+ for awhile.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Ted leaves, Roy and Nate and beard coach the team to a nail biter finish, winning with a Lasso Special.

Henry finds Ted dead by self-inflicted gunshot wound.

[roll credits]
YEEEEEAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
If the darts scene from season one was transplanted into season three it would just be a post-game scene with Ted and Rebecca, ruffled hair remarking “wow that was wild”, and we never see the actual game between Ted and Rupert.

Major plot developments happening off screen really deflated season 3 for me.