Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

To add more flavor to this, there have only been 3 seasons in the Premier League era (1992 - present) in which none of the promoted teams were relegated. Or, put another way, in 27 of 30 (or however many) premier league seasons, at least one of the newly promoted teams was immediately relegated back to the Championship.

That said, it's also not a given that all promoted teams are going to struggle. Fulham, for example, were just promoted this year and are currently in the race to claim one of the spots that gets into the European competitions. Ditto for Brentford, who are in their second year of the Prem. So there can be some variety in how promoted teams fare. And there's always usually a team or two that, after several years (or decades) in the Prem, have come up against a financial and/or talent wall and sink like a stone.

As it relates to Ted Lasso, it's definitely feasible that they would be predicted to struggle by most major news outlets, though I agree the uniformity of people picking them to finish last is probably more for dramatic flare than actual basis in reality.

Also, I enjoyed this season premier very much and am really excited to see where all the plot threads go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I did have a moment last night where I had to wonder A) why the writers chose West Ham of all teams to be this season's antagonist team and B) how West Ham feels about being cast as the villain in a popular TV show. At least City made sense, given their decade of domination.

Could always be something dull and technical, I suppose, like maybe West Ham were the only London PL team that agreed to let the crew film in their facilities or something.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

howe_sam posted:

The thing is, it had to be a club Rupert could believably purchase, and Man City certainly isn't that. West Ham is just mid enough that you can believe Rupert sweeping in and buying it.

Also, loving Nate :argh:

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Probably also helps that West Ham's fanbase has been largely antagonistic toward their ownership over the last few years, which makes the Rupert takeover more plausible.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

With them introducing the gay character in the same episode that Zava joins the team, I was expecting a plot line where Zava turns out to be homophobic and the team had to choose between supporting their LGTBQ player and supporting their new star that's winning games for them.

However, after learning Zava's whole deal in this episode, that seems like it would be pretty out of character for him so it's probably not the direction they're going.

Plus if they WERE to go in that direction, and it was resolved in the typical "Ted Lasso" way (supporting their player for who he is and kicking out Zava), it would be too unrealistic, even for this show

They still could go that way, I suppose, but yeah, it would be really weird for Zava to be homophobic after he said that gender was a construct (I can't remember the exact line but it owned).

e: “Time is a construct, like gender and many of the alphabets." :lol:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 30, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Really don't have much to add except that I also loved this episode. Really reminded me of the Liverpool episode in Season 1 (my favorite episode of the series).

Nuclear Spoon posted:

also found colin/trent's chat very touching and i'm pleasantly surprised that they haven't hamfisted it as i thought they might

Agreed, that was some excellent writing and character development.

There were so many great quotes from this episode but I think favorite might have been:
"Oh, where in the states are you from, friend?"
"Melbourne!"

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

AcidCat posted:

Pretty much agree with all this. Not a bad episode, but at certain points I found my mind wandering, just not fully engaged with the show, especially Rebecca's little adventure.

Yeah, as much as I loved this episode, I will agree that I thought Rebecca's side story was just kind of...pointless, I guess? There was nothing offensively wrong with it, and it was sweet at points, but for me, it just didn't seem to accomplish anything in terms of moving her character and story forward.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Hausu Usher posted:

She comes out of his bedroom in the morning, she’s probably pregnant.

Also I think his “did we? …We did” is supposed to indicate he was also boozed up and couldn’t quite remember until she walked out the door. Rebecca gets to be a single mother millionaire when she can’t find a guy who will literally up anchor and sail away with no way of being traced. They didn’t even trade names.

She actually comes out of the shower/bathroom area, not the bedroom.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Feel like there's too many characters

For me, it’s not that there’s too many characters (there’s arguably the same number of main-ish characters there’s always been), but more that there doesn’t seem to be any cohesion in any of the character’s plot lines. Keely’s especially seems so isolated from everything that’s happening to everyone else, to the point where I mentally check out whenever one of her scenes pops up. Rebecca has also been basically a passenger these last few episodes, since the whole rom-com with the Dutch guy seems to have served no real purpose, at least for the moment. And presumably Nate’s arc will lead to some kind of redemption, but again, it’s taking a real winding and confusing road to get there.

I don’t know. I’m still enjoying the show for the most part (hell, last week’s ep and Amsterdam were top notch in my book) but it really feels disjointed and, at times, directionless.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

S1 was drat near perfect IMO, so it was always going to be hard, if not impossible, to top it. But yeah, this feels like much more of a dropoff than I was expecting, and I think--

Slotducks posted:

The episode run times extending well past the original runtime has slowed the show down so so so much - it's lethargic.

--is a big reason why.

Edit: I really hope there's some sort of post-mortem that goes into detail about what all the rewrites were about. Would be curious to see if the show we're getting is better or worse than the show we could have gotten.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 4, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah in particular from the beginning Keely's apartment struck me as probably a wee bit above her pay grade.

Conversely, when they showed Nate's apartment in this most recent episode, I was like...there's no way a dude making millions of pounds a year coaching an established London Premier League team is living in a 1-bedroom shoebox.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I think if we were still a few weeks or even a month into the season (the football season, not the tv show season), I'd probably agree with you folks. But at this point, it's probably been about six or seven months, so I would expect him to have moved up by now. But even as I'm typing this, I'm remembering that Jose Mourinho lived out of a hotel during his entire stint at Man U, so maybe it's not that unrealistic after all.

Also, for the record, Keely's house never bugged me. She's a model and semi-celeb who dates/dated footballers, so I've pegged her as pretty wealthy from episode 1.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

The Premier League is the 4th richest sporting league in the world, behind only the NFL, MLB, and NBA. So yeah, these teams have that kind of money.

e: Some other lists put it 5th, with Indian Premier League (cricket) in 4th. Either way, it's obscenely wealthy.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 9, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, like 90% of the characters (including all the “main” ones) are easily multi-millionaires.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Okay, and I ask this in full ignorance: where does the money come from? Like, I assume fans of the Detroit Lions are almost entirely from Michigan, and there's like 10 million people in Michigan. That's more people than live in London, and London is divided up between 7 teams, so like, I just don't understand how any one of these teams is worth that much. Is it just from like, television syndication and stuff like that for the league itself? Does the Premier League get much play outside of Britain?

I'm going to assume you are asking this in good faith and as such will try to answer in good faith. But if it is a bit...well, then, you got me I guess.

The Premier League - and most European soccer leagues - is structured very differently from the way American leagues are. There's no salary cap, no "draft", no redistribution of revenue the way the NFL, MLB, et al handle it. Teams in the NFL are francises of the NFL, essentially subsidiaries under a larger corporate infrastructure. But no such infrastructure exists in the EPL. Every team is its own individual entity, and all revenue from ticket sales, tv rights, buying and selling players, and whatever else, is revenue for that team.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the nitty-gritty of team ownership, which is honestly such a big can of worms that it's near impossible to go into it in a single post. But the TL:DR version is that a lot of these teams have literally billions of dollars being pumped into them, sometimes even by state governments (Newcastle, for example, is quite literally owned by the Saudi government).

As for the last sentence in your post...I mean, come on. Does it get much play outside of Britain? Buddy, it's the most televised sports league in the world.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Honestly, even that is news to me haha. I don't think you understand how little the average American knows about how football works around the globe. Why do people outside Britain care about the Premier League? Don't they have their own local teams to care about?

Hah, I am American, for what it’s worth, but I suppose it’s a fair point. I’ve been watching this silly sport and league for 15 years at this point, so perhaps I’ve forgotten what it’s like to be truly ignorant of it.

To answer your question, though: yes, most people have their own local teams to care about (hell, even America has the MLS). But even so, if you’re a fan of the sport - or any sport, really - you want to watch the best of the best, and the best of the best for soccer play in Europe. Not exclusively in England, mind you, though a lot of them do. And given soccer is the most popular sport globally, it means the EPL (among other European leagues) has a potential global reach far beyond what the NFL does, since American football really isn’t widely played or watched outside of American and, I guess, Canada.

The NBA is probably the closest American equivalent to the EPL, in that basketball is a hugely popular sport globally and attracts the best of the best talent from around the globe.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 10, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

I am utterly flabbergasted that an episode that focused on a few characters and how their struggles were affecting the soccer match they were competing in was so much better than most of the rest of the season!

Beginning to wonder if this is a Scrubs Season 8 situation, where there was an A-team and B-team of writers and we started to notice that the second episode every night was wildly better than the first.

Agreed, I thought this episode was quite good, especially after the mess that was last week’s.

Wee Bairns posted:

"That's what the lady on the American Office says" got a chuckle out if me.

Lol I didn’t get this at the time but seeing it in writing had me go, “Ahhhhhh okay.”

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

hexwren posted:

Probably a better comparison than money and the like, but one you can still put into numbers, is that that stadium they keep showing where West Ham plays and Nate is coaching has slightly more seating capacity than Soldier Field in Chicago.

The Bears have, admittedly, the smallest stadium in the NFL, but it is still on that scale.

Another “put into numbers” way of looking at it is social media presence. The most followed NFL team on Twitter is the Patriots, with 4.6 mil. The most followed team in England is Manchester United, with 35 mil. Even West Ham United (who are a big team, though perhaps not the title-chasing behemoth they are presented as in Ted) has a Twitter following of 2.6 mil, which is still more than most NFL teams.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah Jack seems to be getting the same treatment as Zava, in the "Welp, they were here and now they're gone," vein.

It's pretty lazy writing, but that's sorta been a running theme for a lot of this season :(

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I literally forgot about Zava. This season is SUCH a mess lmao. But I feel more positive about this episode the more I think about it. A good template for a Tedless version of this show. I hope they can keep it up although I am of course skeptical

I mean, it would have to be a straight-up spin-off, wouldn't it? Probably shouldn't call the show Ted Lasso after this season given Ted's not going to be in it, if they continue at all.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Regarding the Rebecca-Roy scene: maybe it was just me but I was getting some vague undertones of Rebecca hinting that Roy’s unwillingness to commit to his responsibilities was why he and Keely’s relationship fell apart. Which is all well and good if it’s meant to be taken introspectively on Roy’s part and lead him to step up in his future relationships. But what I think is actually going to happen is he’s going to show how he can be “mature” which will lead to Keely going “oh wow he’s so much better now!” and then they ultimately get back together.

Which…..ehhhhhhhh

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Well, it makes sense here because we don't have a soccer scene of our own. But why do, say, people in Italy want to watch the English Premier League instead of the Italian Supreme Division? Does the Premier League tend to draw the higher-caliber players from all over Europe due to capitalism or something? Or is it typical for fans to follow more than one national league?

People in Italy watch the Italian League first and other leagues after that. And probably vice-versa for other countries. Serie A (the Italian league) isn’t as profitable as the Premier League, but it’s still one of the 10 most profitable sports leagues in the world. 6 of the 10 most profitable sports leagues in the world are soccer leagues, in fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue?wprov=sfti1

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i support tottenham because i don't know how to be happy

i'm assuming you're talking about juventus here but i do not think inter and ac milan should be so easily dismissed. although inter milan's finances are kind of very hosed right now

Yeah Italy have had 4 different league winners the past 4 years, it’s a lot more competitive these days then it has been in the past.

It is true about the Spain, France, and Germany, though. And given Man City has won 4 of the last 5 EPL seasons (soon to be 5 of 6 :rolleyes: ), I’d argue it’s not totally off base to the say the EPL is become a one-team pony.

Since we’re doing teams, I support Liverpool because Red is my favorite color and, at the time, had a shirt sponsored by Carlsberg which, as a young dumb 20 year old, I thought was rad that they had a beer sponsor when everyone else had banks and airlines and poo poo (Liverpool are now, of course, sponsored by a bank).

In the words of Coach Beard: “Yeah, it’s dumb.”

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 15, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe I'm overestimating that sort of imprinting, but it definitely plays a role.

Nah, I think it's very valid. I know an Everton fan who started following them specifically because of Tim Howard.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

radmonger posted:

It was national news when Eric Cantona did it, just as it was national news when Marcus Rashford had his charity work on child poverty criticised by the Health Secretary.

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess Phenotype probably has no idea who either of those players are (and, tbf, you probably wouldn't if you don't follow soccer at all).

I, for example, wouldn't be able to name you a single cricket player. That said, though, I am still aware that cricket is an absolutely massive game globally and rakes in billions of dollars.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Super League subplot was weird because it’s a real “ripped from the headlines” type of thing and Rebecca’s speech was overly sanctimonious to the point of being almost cringy.

At the same time, though, I also get it why they did, since the actual real world proposed Super League is such a utterly gross and greed-fuel threat to the entire existence of Euro foot as we know it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, the big hub-bud with the Super League was 2 years ago. I had to look it up because I couldn’t recall all the details, and apparently it is still being kicked about in some capacity, so it ain’t dead and buried yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Super_League?wprov=sfti1

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I said out loud it was ridiculous that Richmond were on a 15 game win streak to challenge the title after just scraping back into the Premiership… as the words came out my mouth I remembered that my hockey team just scraped into the playoffs ranked #17 (so unofficially not good enough to get in really) and when moments from elimination in the first round went on a 11 out of 12 game win marathon and are now in the finals.

So yeah. Realism!

Hell, Leicester City just barely escaped relegation the season before they went on to win the EPL. So it ain't even that unrealistic for soccer, just improbable.

That said, a 15-game winning streak is certifiably bonkers in the there's-really-no-way-this-could-happen kind of way and would have Ted basically being a shoo-in for Manager of the Season.

esperantinc posted:

The biggest thing that bothered me about Pep is that Ted and Beard went all fangirly after the chat. That's a moment that they would've had with one another at least 5 previous times since Ted has taken over.

lol yeah I thought that was real weird too.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

When my non-football acquainted friends & relatives as that inevitable "who is Zava based on?" question, I always show them this vid, which is about the most perfect representation of the inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxrVrU724k

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

What’s really weird to me is that (unless I missed it somehow) they didn’t address that issue at all, to the point where it’s kinda like…why even make him the ex-counselor in the first place? Why not just make him some random guy?

And then his heel-turn into a condescending rear end during the West Ham match was just bizarre, given he really hadn’t acted very dickish at any other part of the season, least that I can remember.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah pretty much. Like the entire therapy storyline just kind of.... went away? and he was suddenly fine with it. But now he's not because the therapist moved in. The bit about having some other dude start doing stuff with/for your son in your absence is jarring and hard to get over but even that they just kind of touched on and didn't go into it at all. Which I guess is a running theme in storylines this season. Kind of like the bullying thing. Just.... dropped.

Part of me wonders if maybe they tried to explorer this but it was hitting just a little too close to home for Sudeikis and they decided to drop it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Since it’s Ted Lasso adjacent, I wanted to let those in this thread who don’t follow soccer as much know that the Champion’s League Final, aka the Super Bowl of club soccer, is about to start between Manchester City and Inter Milan. Americans can watch it on regular old CBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The strings around the balls gag was hilarious, whereas So Long, Farewell was so aggressively twee it made my skin crawl.