Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mappy Marth 1st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGeoG0KQa68

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The next magic the gathering set is called March of the Machine but it doesn't come out until April....

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night I completed dungeons 3 and 4 in the dark world in Link to the Past and it was a pretty ridiculous time. Lots of mistakes, lots of magooing (the moth boss with the moving floor I did first try while panicking and running into the spike blocks).

Link to the Past is a pretty great game :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A Link to the Past is one of the greatest games of all time.

I hope it's sequel, A Link Between Worlds, gets ported to the Switch at some point.
It's definitely of the same calibre as ALttP

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The next magic the gathering set is called March of the Machine but it doesn't come out until April....

Marth of the Marthchine

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

16 months, no sooner.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Marth Chat Thread Topic #001

Which do you prefer, skill gaming or chill gaming?

I like to have at least one game of each type on the go at the same time but I get more enjoyment from skill gaming. In particular I like competing against my past self so rhythm games or anything with a scoring system that lets me measure objective progress is swell.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like magoo gaming. ;)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
both are good, the important thing is that the vibes of the gameplay match the vibes of the non-gameplay stuff

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

skhill gaming

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

:hmmyes: you have a good point

let me find my Gram

And my Bow, that is definitely not two Dragon skulls welded together with magic
https://i.imgur.com/gIzyFkf.mp4

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lavatein posted:

I like to have at least one game of each type on the go at the same time but I get more enjoyment from skill gaming. In particular I like competing against my past self so rhythm games or anything with a scoring system that lets me measure objective progress is swell.

skill gaming is chill gaming

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lavatein posted:

Idk if I have a preference, but I definitely need to be playing something chill on the side with a more “skill” based game to cool off (like playing Kirby and Elden Ring around the same time), whereas I can usually play multiple chill games at once. There’s definitely a high you get from doing well in skill-based games or the super hard parts of otherwise chill ones like rhythm games or games like Hades with a low floor and high ceiling, but you can only get your rear end beat in Sekiro enough times before you really need to step away to refresh yourself.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Runa posted:

Mappy Marth 1st

Zappy!
I am Marf. Emblem Marf to be exact.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lately I've been doing mostly chill gaming since I've been playing nothing but jrpgs. Except for some parts in Rogue Galaxy, which are neither skill nor chill

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've been thinking lately, it would be really cool to play every single (PAL) playstation game, even for only like half an hour or so

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Who traded me a male combee named 'f u'

I know it was one of you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm playing the new Destiny 2 expac and think it's pretty alright, not blowing me away but it's fun. Then I look online and everyone is acting like it's literally the worst content ever released and will kill the game next tuesday. Then I remember that this is how the same exact people react to every content update and I wonder why on earth people still play this game if this is their reaction to every update lol.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm playing the new Destiny 2 expac and think it's pretty alright, not blowing me away but it's fun. Then I look online and everyone is acting like it's literally the worst content ever released and will kill the game next tuesday. Then I remember that this is how the same exact people react to every content update and I wonder why on earth people still play this game if this is their reaction to every update lol.

I've learned a while ago that if I'm enjoying something I probably shouldn't look up what people online think of it. It's got to the point where I'm pleasantly surprised when something I love is generally popular.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"You smell different when you're awake Divine One" - Fire Emblem Engage

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
skills for chills, agent

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emblem Marth Chat Thread, to be clear

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

main character of the first fe game, its sequel, and their respective remakes.

fe1 takes place on the continent of archanea. in the beginning there were good dragons of various elements - earth, fire, water, light (also known as divine), and darkness - but dragons just live forever with no aging and no natural death, so they were all starting to go insane. the leader of the light dragons, and all dragons, Naga, created dragonstones, which sealed the dragons power into them and turned them into basically long lived but not immortal humans. most of the dragons sealed their powers away within their respective dragon stones, but all of the earth dragons save their prince, medeus, refused. medeus aided the other dragon tribes in putting down the earth dragon tribe and sealing them away, and he watched over his sealed people as their guardian. the earth dragons were sealed away using a magic item called the fire emblem, which had a magical orb of each element embedded into it.

with this done, the dragons went into hiding, and humanity took over as the dominant race of the continent. during this time, the fire emblem was stolen from under Medeus's watch by a man named adrah, who sold the orbs as gemstones in order to fund the creation of a vast kingdom, archanea. enraged by this, and humanity's oppression of the weakened dragon race (now known as manaketes), medeus gathered a variety of manaketes and formed the dolhr empire, set on conquering the world and making dragons the dominant species once again. the nations of the world banded together, and they were able to eke out small victories, but no human had even been able to land a scratch on Medeus when he joined the battles directly. but at the pivotal battle, a hero named Anri stepped forth from nowhere, wielding the magic sword, Falchion, forged from one of Naga's teeth and granted to him by the light dragon Gotoh, as well as the Fire Emblem, which he had personally journeyed across the world to gather the orbs of and restore its full power.

Anri defeated Medeus using these magical artifacts, and sealed him away with his Earth Dragon brethren. Afterwards, he founded the kingdom of Altea. In addition, Gotoh founded the country of Khadein, a magical kingdom in the desert, to watch over humanity directly. Archanea also still existed. There's some other countries but they aren't important. Dolhr obviously doesn't exist anymore at this point. Gotoh took the Fire Emblem's orbs to Khadein, and the kingdom of Archanea took the Fire Emblem itself.

Time passed, and Gotoh gained a pupil, the sage Gharnef. However, he refused to pass on the deepest secrets of Dragon Magic to Gharnef, recognizing that no human should have that much power. Enraged by this, Gharnef stole the dark sphere of the fire emblem from Gotoh's safekeeping, and used its power to revive Medeus in the form of a twisted dark dragon. Reforming the Dolhr empire, Gharnef and Medeus once more waged war on humanity, setting their sights first on Altea, the kingdom of the man that had defeated Medeus in the first place.

Cornelius, the king of Altea, took Falchion and led an army to meet Medeus, Gharnef, and their forces, but as the battle began they were betrayed by their ally, the minor country of Gra. Gra, always jealous over the difference in military strength and economic prosperity between it and Altea, had seized the chance to take them out. Medeus was glad to welcome them into the fold after, and the two forces marched on Altea directly.

Marth, the young prince of Altea, is teleported out of the castle as its besieged by his older sister Elice.

then he goes on a big adventure where he has to find the falchion again (Gharnef stole it after Cornelius was killed), meet up with Gotoh to get magic advice, and meet up with Archanea's princess, Nyna, to get the fire emblem. With all three magic macguffins in hand, he defeated Medeus and sealed him once more. You'll notice that this game has a lot of backstory but not a ton of plot. That is because it's an NES game so the manual was just a 25 page loredump and then the game has dialog like

and then in the sequel Marth's best friend forever Hardin becomes king of Archanea but also becomes evil and this time he tries to revive Medeus instead. Also Gharnef is back again. spoilers marth uses the fire emblem and the falchion to kill them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HB7JYZhSzg

fire emblem, epic strategy rpg
its a tale of love and courage, transcending time

Thx

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Marth is p boring

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gaming

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Marth is p boring

Ya but his games are cool, I recommend New Mystery of the Emblem. Or Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I’ve heard good things about it.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

A Link to the Past is one of the greatest games of all time.

I hope it's sequel, A Link Between Worlds, gets ported to the Switch at some point.

I thought you were just joking and Link Between Worlds was some game unrelated to Zelda, but nope, ALttP got a sequel 10 years ago that I have no idea existed.

Games on portable systems just seem to fly way under the radar a lot of the time unless you own the system.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Epic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

is there a chat thread for people that like good games instead. marchtics ogre or daisenmarch vii exceed or something

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Advance Warch

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the advance warch thread has been closed please go to d&d or cspam if you want to make poop jokes about blue moon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

nothing i want to play coming out this month, lots of time to catch up on stuff :peanut:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm going to play the re4 remake and write a screed about how the removal of the ballistics line is evidence of the decay of western society. Please plan accordingly.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m worried that you’re going to have a companion the entire time in the RE4 remake since Luis will stick around longer and that you’ll need to babysit Ashley even more since you can’t just toss her in a dumpster. Luckily RE4 is available on every platform I own so the stakes are low

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm going to play the re4 remake and write a screed about how the removal of the ballistics line is evidence of the decay of western society. Please plan accordingly.

the giant mechanical Salazar statue stands testament to God's glory and its absence in the remake proves that Capcom has been overtaken by sinister heathen forces

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I got a couple of games I am thinking of playing all curled up on the sofa tonight.
Helps that the sofa is incredibly squishy and comfy so I can properly zone out and become one with the games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

nothing i want to play coming out this month, lots of time to catch up on stuff :peanut:

Ngl, surprised BP hadn't booked off 24th March already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

VideoGames posted:

Last night I completed dungeons 3 and 4 in the dark world in Link to the Past and it was a pretty ridiculous time. Lots of mistakes, lots of magooing (the moth boss with the moving floor I did first try while panicking and running into the spike blocks).

Link to the Past is a pretty great game :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyUb2uvOv8

Infinitum posted:

:yeah:, they did a great job with it -- its half remake, half kind of does its own thing, and is notable for being the first turn to more nonlinear Zelda gameplay that Breath of the Wild took and ran with.

Lavatein posted:

Really depends on my mood, but I generally like a challenge in games.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 1, 2023