Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Just thought I'd pop in to say gently caress the tories on the first page, so it's preserved forever.

Also Suella Braverman is a oval office. I mean they're all cunts but I thought I'd try to pick one for impact's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Rarity posted:

How we all looking for tomatoes?

I've got three cucumbers which I'll barter for a day's worth of gas.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Young tories have a certain look which I'm sure they cultivate.

Floppy hair, chinos, blue blazer. I write as I'm wearing that, aside from the hair. I don't often have to stress smart casual and this is how wife dressed me. There's no mistaking me for a tory though, long hair, beard (strictly forbidden) and various piercings including face.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Missed opportunity for Harry Tosser.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Some of this discussion reminds me of the bit in Four Lions where the chap argues that the best way to get charged up is to get punched in the face.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

fuctifino posted:

I don't think any of us are going to see a better future until our antiquated FPTP system is replaced with an actual representative democracy

I was pretty young when the alternative vote referendum happened, but I'm still pretty confused as to why so many were against it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

WE NEED A WORLD WHERE YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH ICE CREAM AS YOU LIKE AND NOT PUT ON WEIGHT. NOT THE ALTERNATIVE VOTE.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Times is reporting this morning that the energy price guarantee will continue from 1st April for another 3 months.
I don't see it reported anywhere else (other than references back to this Times article).

https://archive.is/qM0Hf

UK energy price guarantee ‘to remain for another three months’
Bills limit was due to rise to £3,000 a year from April but Jeremy Hunt set to keep it at £2,500

Amazing! So my energy bills will stay extortionate as opposed to mega extortionate!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I at first assumed he was a filth, but then considered that he might have been the guy who ensures that the paedos are up to scratch.

Also I could clarify when I said was young for the AV referendum - I mean old enough to vote in it but young enough that said vote not as well informed as it would have been now. I voted for AV. I was also one of the cunts who was taken in by Clegg and then disgusted with him.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I expected much more of Clegg than I do of Starmer. The naivety of youth.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I feel queasy when I see his stupid face now. It's what the face of no respect looks like.

Of COURSE he went to loving FACEBOOK.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Hope you're all having a nice Friday

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What loving justification does anyone have to argue for incandescent light bulbs? Do they feel their energy bills are too low?

I remember the last place I rented, probably around 2011, had a living room lit by 9x 50W GU10 halogen bulbs. 450W just to keep the lights on.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I previously asked "why Keith", but now, why Brenda? Where does that come from?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Question IRL posted:

One argument I could see is that they aren't as bright as LED bulbs, so they would produce (slightly) less light pollution which is a problem for stargazers.

Just get a less bright LED bulb?

Bring back curved bananas and cucumbers! No more weird EU straight ones.

Get rid of auto start/stop on cars!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What about replacing ministers? Level of understanding and accuracy matches, but the robot isn't inherently a oval office.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bunch of cunts posted:

Others – those who have bought country houses costing £2m-£4m – are selling the London flat they kept as an investment “to bridge the financial gap created by rising interest rates and the cost of living”

Bunch of cunts posted:

For those whose lifestyles include domestic staff, wages have risen by 10-25pc. "This is because there is so much demand they can pick and choose the work they want to take on. Try getting a gardener in South Oxfordshire. If you find one, expect to pay £35 an hour for weeding.”

Meanwhile, nannies and grooms “expect two-bedroom accommodation and expect to bring their own pets, a two-hour lunch break and 30-days holiday. That’s before you have even discussed their hourly rate,” she says.

Sounds really tough, and so very relatable to all of us.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

Everybody has to deal with not being able to have everything they want, but most of us also have to deal with not having everything we need either.

It's this.

I'm not struggling for food, heat, or comfortable living, but running my mouth about inability to afford comparative luxuries around those that are actually struggling would rightly garner resentment.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's like society had been labouring for decades under the misapprehension that public outrage could stop you doing whatever the gently caress you wanted to do and the tories have just discovered the truth.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I managed to never go for a poo poo in the school toilets in all my years there, but I guess I wasn't drinking coffee at that age.

I did all my school making GBS threads in my pants.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Perfect Element posted:

Lol he's absolute dogshit isn't he. Clearly showing you have nothing to hide by repeatedly stammering that you've done nothing improper and refusing to answer the question.

But further to my previous point about the tories having discovered that nothing matters and you can do or say anything, the very fact that Keith got through the interview and didn't answer the question could be viewed as a success. It shouldn't, but I bet he sees it that way and I bet it won't influence anyone either way.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tesseraction posted:

are you going to cite that study that compared Teslas to all cars without controlling for demographics? because yeah turns out if you compare Teslas to all drivers including new drivers being boy racers then yes the Teslas are comparable, which isn't the safety report you're claiming

Teslas are the new white Audis.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Expect to get sore fingers from how often you have to chase your conveyancer. I was astonished at the level of service/communication some seem to consider acceptable. It'd be fine if it was infrequent, but in that case just set expectations.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 8, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The main thing I took away from an HSBC mortgage application is when you have to speak to them over the phone, ask each department you get transferred to for their direct phone number.

All of this process stuff, what you have to do and when, I got from my conveyancer though - on the very few occasions I did succeed in talking to her. Fortunately we had a great relationship with the sellers so they shared email threads from their conveyancers which allowed me to call mine out on her bullshit.

Renfield posted:

My experience of getting a mortgage - offer accepted on flat for £111k. Flats in the same block had recently sold for 115-120.. the bank valued the property at 80k *just* low enough to incur the "Higher Lending Charge" with the deposit I had, by pure coincidence.
This was 2007, so I was lucky that I didn't go through with it just before the big crash.

I had almost exactly this too. Offered X, bank valuation put it at X - 90, putting the LTV % too high. Fortunately like I said we had a great relationship with the sellers - I told them this, asked them to reduce it by 15 and we'd put in the same, yet out of the blue they reduced it by 35 which made it work. I think it was because this was on a development built in 2019 and none of the other places had yet changed hands, causing the bank to value it at its as-new asking price.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 8, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Solicitors are always loving procrastinating on everything ever.

Until you get to the end of the progress when you quickly become their favourite person because they want it off their plate.

In terms of surveys I figured I'd go for the top level one for my current place, but then the actual surveyor called me and said I don't need it unless I'm planning to make structural alterations. Said he'd gladly take my money, but if I just wanted to live there then it was a waste. Which was nice.

Don't get the cheapest survey though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone pinpoint the time at which the Labour party were subsumed into the tories?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My company pays $230k in the US for the same position that commands £60k here. It's ridiculous.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BBC article posted:

The culture secretary said the presenter's tweets were "disappointing and inappropriate".

Lucy Frazer said it was "important for the BBC to retain impartiality if it is to retain the trust of the public who pay the licence fee".

Responding to a question in the Commons Ms Frazer said: "As somebody whose grandmother escaped Nazi Germany in the 1930s I think it's really disappointing and inappropriate to compare government policy on immigration events to events in Germany in the 1930s."

What tories hope people will read:

Holocaust survivor descendent condemns Lineker's rhetoric

What it should actually say:

Holocaust survivor descendent encouraged by party to use tragic heritage to score political points

Surely someone personally affected by such regimes ought to be keen to see similar behaviour called out early and often so it's less likely to happen again? Or shall we use it as an excuse to keep silent when we see the warning signs?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tory name generator website strikes again.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's the kind of tweet I'd expect from someone who'd let Boris Johnson gently caress them without a condom.

I think you'll find it's referred to as "rumpy pumpy". Mind you if he'd taken that literally she'd not have ended up having to take such steps.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I wonder if the government had maybe considered that actual paedos or terrorists with something to hide might use their own encryption rather than just rely on facebook messenger.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's loving delicious.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not sure about that, I could never accept Blue for Cheese&Onion flavour

It makes no loving sense.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A friend who works at the production facilities for Football Focus has said it has been cancelled as the presenters are refusing to present.

Edit: And now Final Score. BBC people walking up and down corridors on phones.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 11, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Apparently 5live commentators are next.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My buddy working at TV production facilities said some of his freelancer friends had done work at GB News and the cameras were on wooden trolleys rather than camera pedestals. High class operation.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This reminds me of the segments on RuPaul's Drag Race where one persecuted community was persecuting another community.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Answers Me posted:

It boggles the mind that in the eyes of a lot of melts he’s widely seen as one of this country’s foremost public intellectuals. What a damning indictment of our cultural sphere

Nadine Dorries is also one of those. A national treasure.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

fuctifino posted:

The government hosed with the UK's most popular religion, football.

I've always thought that a US president could never admit not being Christian and a UK PM could never admit not liking football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

HopperUK posted:

No, Ant stands on the left *and* is always drink driving

It is ironic because Ant is the bigger one, but ants are actually very small.

Which one's PJ and which one's Duncan though?