Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I have been trying to train a crow army to do the revolution at asda but thus far they seem rather nonplussed at the food.

Do crows eat birdseed or are they carnivores?

The ones outside my front door seem to like monkey nuts.

Watching a crow trying to arrange monkey nuts in its beak to carry the maximum number is pretty amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Camrath posted:

No, every time someone reported something going ‘I think I’ve seen a ghost’ I’d go ‘Yeah, probably. It happens. I’ll have some men check the place to make sure though’.

If you want to know about weird poo poo /anywhere/, ask the site security team- especially the night shift.

Trouble is those lads also tend to be straightfaced pisstake artists. Though night security at the Royal London Hospital sneaked me in to see John Merrick's skeleton as well as telling me stories about ~strange noises~ and scattered bloodstained bandages when I worked nights there so I'm not going to complain.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Countdown to him being found drowned in a butt of malmsey 10... 9...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angrymog posted:

It was something like three people were bad. Over was fine, under was fine, but three was right out.

Some vague memory of it being bad luck to light 3 cigs off 1 match, maybe?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

It's endemic, there's going to be covid cases like colds now, with the same level of care or monitoring involved.

I got an email at the beginning of the month from the NHS that I "might" be suitable for COVID treatment if I get it, though I've no idea whether that's down to my diabetes or my recent cancer scare. They've sent a test kit, anyway...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

kecske posted:

wasnt that a trench warfare thing? Unlucky to have the third cigarette. First light attracts attention, second light zeroes in, the guy who lights up third catches the snipers bullet

Originally yes, but IIRC it caught on generally.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I think the terfs are absolutely genuinely terrified of sharing a bathroom with trans people and absolutely constantly thinking about other people's genitals, but that's an argument against being a loving terf because the fear stems from terf brain not the other way around.

The number of places I've worked where there's just A Toilet used by everyone would apparently terrify a terf into utter catatonia.

I must remember to mention it as often and as loudly as I can.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mirrors & cattes chat:

This is a lovely little short story where the protagonist is Gummitch, the Super Kitten. (It's not a kids' story).

https://faculty.uca.edu/rnovy/Leiber--SpaceTime%20for%20Springers.htm

In case you didn't know, there's a sequel where Gummitch Discovers Art: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51493

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No I didn't! Thanks for that!

A friend and I regularly tell cats on the table that they're far too late for coffee to have any effect...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Clarence posted:

Is everyone just hate-watching this thing?

I'm watching the Minions movie, eating pate on water biscuits and fighting a cat who thinks the pate is his by divine right.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mega Comrade posted:

I've got an Irish name and people get it wrong probably 80% of the time.

I've got an Irish surname that's common with a Mc rather the Mc-less version I got, plus I got my granny's Scots surname as a middle name. So if someone can't find my name on whatever list I have to go through "Are you looking under Mc? It's not Mc. But you'd better check under Mc if you haven't already" and "do you have it hyphenated with... no, it's not actually hyphenated, but if I give people my full name there seems to be about a half and half chance they'll hyphenate it".

Looks like even the Met want to get in on the pre-general election curbstomping of der Starmer.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

History Comes Inside! posted:

I wonder what’s going to happen when they automate all the jobs and then realise nobody has any money to buy the poo poo they’re trying to sell them because all the jobs got automated

Obviously they'll train AI to buy the poo poo. Got to keep the economy moving!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like they were having sex with the Hoe palm trees.

In a tragic misunderstanding of the euphemism Rosy Palm and her 5 sisters...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

kecske posted:

on the specific individual level you wont get a better cost/effort result than a good old fashioned punch in the face

Is it one of those cases where singing Let It Go loudly will bring Disney lawyers down on them if they try to post/monetise it?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As a couple of teachers have manifested ITT, I was wondering:

My great-niece is 7 and is top of absolutely everything (sports, maths, art, English, Welsh, 'being kind', dancing, the lot) at her primary school & brimming with confidence. Apparently she marched into a local pub the other day asking for a cocktail - they gave her a mocktail. (parents & grand-parents were sitting outside).

Initially, the teachers were giving her certificates (you know, as primary kids get certificates for just about everything) and now the teachers have stopped even giving her "3rd place" certificates (as an adult I understand why, other kids need an incentive!) and she's obviously getting disappointed and doesn't really understand why when she is clearly streets ahead of the rest. (She's an only child too and while there have been a lot of difficulties - her mother has all sorts of medical problems, her father sees her once a fortnight but is reasonably hands-on)

IMHO if this carries on, I can see her becoming an extremely disgruntled disruptive child within a couple of years and to try to forestall her ending up at 14 years old skiving school, dressed in EMO gear (not that there's anything wrong with that, but just now she's all into pretty frocks & makeup which she does herself - mother is a makeup artist) swigging vodka from brown paper bags, I'm wondering how her mother should handle it now.

Personally, I would bump her up a year (which is what happened to me back in the distant past - I never did 'year 6' - straight from 'year 5' to 'year 7' due to parents moving it was kind of slipped in there) but I don't think state schools will do that now.

Any advice (PM or 'out loud') greatly welcomed.

I got bumped up a year in primary school.

When it came time for secondary, they told me I was too young, so I had to do the last year of primary again, with the kids who'd been a year below me. It was torture. Pretty sure this was when I gave up entirely on school.

(Though this was decades ago and I bet it's not allowed now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

:in Labour cultist voice: Well dur, this just shows what a man of principle he is, willing to lie to Express readers to get into power and enable full reBrentry like we all ~know~ he wants ~really~.