Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

domhal posted:

Why is Matty H getting pounded from all sides? Taking the COVID brunt so Boris can have another crack? I'm a Celebrity jealousy? Presumably any cabinet member's messages could be leaked by the right person at some time.

Probably some level of celebrity jealousy yeah, and I suspect Hancock is not widely liked generally. But it's probably mostly because he's now no longer in a position to be a useful idiot, so the right are going after him for doing too much during the pandemic. Oakeshott, who leaked the messages, seems genuinely unhinged, particularly on covid. That Hancock gave her what appears to be a full dump of his WhatsApp messages without bothering to check them is utterly bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What if someone were to buy a mansion and fill it with this low frequency equipment and then rent it out as a haunted house experience? Maybe an old manor house with a suitable back story. Goon project? I'll make the discord channel.

Barry Foster posted:

quote:

proposal: i am going to make a fun zipline for kids at camp haunted house experience

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine an audio torture device that kills children, entirely by accident

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The dead can and do communicate with us, sometimes very intelligently, and that's really cool imo

A book posted:

A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature; and as a firm and unalterable experience has established these laws, the proof against a miracle, from the very nature of the fact, is as entire as any argument from experience can possibly be imagined. ... There must, therefore, be a uniform experience against every miraculous event, otherwise the event would not merit that appellation. And as a uniform experience amounts to a proof, there is here a direct and full proof, from the nature of the fact, against the existence of any miracle; nor can such a proof be destroyed, or the miracle rendered credible, but by an opposite proof, which is superior.

The plain consequence is (and it is a general maxim worthy of our attention), 'That no testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact, which it endeavours to establish; and even in that case there is a mutual destruction of arguments, and the superior only gives us an assurance suitable to that degree of force, which remains, after deducting the inferior.' When anyone tells me, that he saw a dead man restored to life, I immediately consider with myself, whether it be more probable, that this person should either deceive or be deceived, or that the fact, which he relates, should really have happened. I weigh the one miracle against the other; and according to the superiority, which I discover, I pronounce my decision, and always reject the greater miracle. If the falsehood of his testimony would be more miraculous, than the event which he relates; then, and not till then, can he pretend to command my belief or opinion

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

bessantj posted:

God no, the first investigation I was part of was at a lovely pub called The Tredegar Arms in Bassaleg. Ten minutes in she put both her palms and her cheek on a wall then turns and declares "there has been terrible events here, the wall is upset." It didn't get better from there.

I don't doubt every pub wall in Britain has been witness to terrible, traumatic events on the regular

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely cannot imagine the starmer ultra who would be willing to behead pensioners in support of his leader.

What would such a person be like?

Gave starmer (a) head, allegedly

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

:ironicat:
Starmer argues SNP has seen “lurch to the right” during leadership election

quote:

The Labour leader argued that the SNP is “showing that they’re not truly a progressive party” or a “party of change”, adding: “They’re actually the party that’s run out of ideas, run out of hope.”

He said: “I do think there’s a real lurch to the right. I think it exposes the SNP as a party that hasn’t got a common thread running through it. Some of the stuff that’s been coming out in these debates is very much to the right.

“People would recoil from it, when it comes to discussions about family rights, abortion rights. It shows a party that’s completely disorientated without any core progressive value.”

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Has there been any polling on whether corbyn could win as an independent? Is there a precedent for it? I vaguely recall some ukip knobhead getting in in Clacton or something, but I'm not sure that's hugely relevant.

Constituency-level polling is rarely done for cost reasons and even if it is it's never published. All the "Johnson to lose seat says latest poll" stuff is taken from national level polling that's modelled to a specific constituency (using vote swings or demographics depending on the complexity). Islington North might well be worth it for labour to poll as an internal information exercise, but I can't imagine it'd be worth publishing since a) it shows they're worried enough to commission bespoke polling and b) it'd only be worth publishing if it shows Corbyn being utterly humiliated

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This seems good, though counting down the minutes until she gets a weekly "I've been silenced" column in a major national newspaper and multiple broadcast appearances

Kate Forbes: Defeated SNP leadership candidate leaves government

quote:

Kate Forbes is to leave the Scottish government after finishing second in the SNP leadership race.

The BBC understands she was offered a move to rural affairs by the new first minister, Humza Yousaf, but turned down the job.

etc

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jippa posted:

Read the pc gamer article I posted. It was related to that.

Can someone explain what this has to do with brown moses being banned, since bellingcat being associated with a thing that happened doesn't really explain anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

verydarkblue posted:

while none of you know me, I've been lurking here for years so it feels like I know all of you, lol.
I've watched the way this thread cares for and supports each other for years

There was a lot in this post to like, but these bits in particular need repeating because I'm sure I'm not the only one who also identified with it

Niric fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 22, 2023