Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

WE NEED A WORLD WHERE YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH ICE CREAM AS YOU LIKE AND NOT PUT ON WEIGHT. NOT THE ALTERNATIVE VOTE.

ALTERNATIVE VOTE? NO! ALTERNATIVE VEST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Or cull the people in the queue and use the meat to feed the people at the foodbanks?

It's insane that people take any of this seriously

I think the Tories would rather do it the other way, even if the people in queue at the airport aren't even peckish.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I swear to God someone needs to show these people another political poster. Maybe they'll realize part of the reason they look similar on the surface is because that's what political advertising looked like during that time.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Nenonen posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1633136675567153153

"must eat squirrels"

lol dumb Russian goebbels thinks that Britons have to be persuaded lmao

A vindicated Jo Swinson hits retweet.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

That photo of the set looks like it was taken from a dream.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

If ghosts aren't real then how do you explain the specter that is haunting Europe? Checkmate.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

:siren::siren:
*Rishi's numbers are down, need a dead cat alarm, Remove this before posting*
Supporting Labour link to cancer found!

CON +5

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Do folk still smoke fags? Or has that been dropped from the language at this point? I mean, smoking cigarettes seems much less common among kids because they are all vaping now instead, to the point where I saw a teenager at the bus stop with a rollie & it was the first time I'd seen that in quite possibly years. With the caveat that I don't hang outside schools so don't exactly have a representative sample size. But is fag still used as a synonym for cigarettes by people under 30? I'm curious, if only because it seems like the sort of thing that would be dropped for the conitations but I also don't really know many zoomers.

I can't comment on those in their early 20s but it's very much still used by people in their late 20s both in Ireland and the UK.

I can understand wanting to phase out the use and there is definitely an understanding that there is an unfortunate homonym. It is always funny when there's someone who I'm only kinda familiar with who asks me for a fag (I'm gay), then immediately apologies for using the word.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Different contexts and I haven't come across anyone who has attempted to use it as a dog whistle to insult me (to my knowledge). However, I can understand others might not have that opinion.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I didn't think an older generation would stop it (worked with someone who thought it was the height of wit when he was going for a smoke to let us know he was going out for a poof. Every loving time. Over a 13 hour shift), I just was curious if there had been a change or not, with everyone being online to some extent these days, which means interacting with Yanks who definitely don't go out for a fag.

I use y'all a lot for someone who has been to America once, for a fortnight, in 1998. You just pick phrases up from the people you talk to (well, I do, I assume others do. A friend started referring to people as "chief" when he was at uni, instead of pal, & for a while I picked that up by verbal osmosis), & we talk more to Americans than past generations. But I will never let them take oval office away. It's too glorious an insult.

I know my dialect is a mess. I've lived in Canada for two years and Georgia, USA for a few months. Now I've been living in the UK for closer to two years now. Add on top that I adjusted my accent as a kid because of a lisp. Most people twig me as Irish but I this week in work I had two people ask if I was American.

I end up just using whatever terms come naturally and switch it up if the person I'm speaking to doesn't know what I mean.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1639206562190487553?t=FUyug78YE7J0_NzsIMN0fg&s=19

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

It used to be more common, finding random weapon stashes, most are left to rust due to the GFA.

Told this story before, my home town in the early 2000s, the primary school was celebrating the birthday of the principal, there was a party planned for the kids.
During break time, one of the kids went into the woods nearby, and came back with a gun.
Whole place was locked down, army and police called, and they found some bullets after searching the area.
The principal instead of thanking the kid got angry for ruining the birthday party, parents threatened suing the school.

Other side of the border but I remember houses being raided in my area up until the early 2010s. There was a big one once where the entire village just crowded around the house, barely across the road. They ended up finding RPGs and explosives.

We had become used to it to the point where I was online and casually mentioned a bomb was found just down the road (a different time) and my American friend I was on with freaked out and got so worried. I had to explain that this wasn't unusual and it was "just" a pipe bomb.

I like those stories as an example of how the GFA didn't immediately fix the issue, but slowly removed the appetite for paramilitary action. It's legitimately very concerning to see things start to ramp up again.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Fresh in:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1640340562237685761?t=AmyNAIlTg5TG6U8PQse0Fw&s=19

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lee's actually done me there - I only ever learned the "bunny ears" method of shoelace tying from watching Bosco, beloved Irish 80s puppet

This is how I learned it too and I got the piss ripped out of me in Canada and by my partner for how I tie my shoelaces. I blame colonialism.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

What's the great alternative that they are using? :confused:

I do a modified bunny ears. :shrug:

They all seemed to learn what this WikiHow calls a "standard knot"?

https://www.wikihow.com/Tie-Your-Shoes#Tying-a-Basic-Knot

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Looks like Cornbrook. I once saw someone having a wee at Cornbrook.

Definitely Cornbrook. Every time I've been there there's either been plain clothes cops or ticket wardens pestering someone. One time a guy just walked away from them mid conversation and there was nothing they could do lmao.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Still, in 2023?! Thought that went out in the 80s.

I learned it as a part of the Junior Cycle in Ireland (basically GSCE level) but my partner in the UK didn't seem to? Maybe it depends on the school?

Speaking of, I've always been horrified at just how poor the UK history curriculum is. While granted, I have a degree in history and I am actively attempting to work in that field, I was shocked when I referenced 1066 and she only recognized it from the advertisements. I read through the curriculum and it is not mandatory at all. We are required to learn it to establish the Norman Invasion/Invitation of 1169 and the beginning of English rule in Ireland.

I can absolutely understand the mentality behind whitewashing of UK history but Hastings et al is a core event which set into motion the last millennium of history, a fairly easy to understand "start of the current royal line" for school kids, and fairly uncontroversial (not seeped in imperialism) topic.

I'm hardly a huge fan of the Irish education system and their approach to our own history is spotty at best. Literally yesterday there was yet another scaremongering article about how kids these days aren't taught about The Troubles when the State has shown no interest in teaching it outside of the absolute basics in the final two years of schooling. That's without considering the recent cuts and attempts at making parts of the subject optional rather than mandatory. But there is at least *some* attempt to teach the subject. I suppose because it is a humanities subject they've thrown it to the gutter.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I would argue it was very much imperialism, it was just the French doing it to us this time round :shobon:

Oh absolutely, but I feel like imperialism in that era was a little different than more recent imperialism under capitalism.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The start of the current royal line was when the Dutch invaded and defeated the English and sent their king packing to France in 1689.

Anything else is Anglo royalists drawing lines everywhere on family trees and going "I'm not owned" as they slowly turn into a crown cob.

The Royal line is absolutely a mess but even the most ardent royalists won't bother connecting William to Ethelred, for example. It's the cleanest break to teach to 10 year olds, I feel, especially since before then the Kings of England ruled over a far different England to what we know of today. It is also cleaner than talking about smaller regional kings and their own unique lines of inheritance.

Very much not perfect, but I think that should be the absolute baseline for British education, which they somehow manage to gently caress up.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wish I'd gotten to do any kind of technical subject instead of all the nerd poo poo. Now I'm stuck as the Virgin Scientist Computer-Toucher vs the Based Chad Tradesman, driving a big van and lying to normies about completion dates and fixed costs

I was unfortunately the other side of this (iirc you are also Irish? Not sure if you're in the North or Republic).

I went to a tech school and for Leaving my school cut the history class. I had to take tech drawing (along Technology and Engineering) as my third choice subject. I ended up taking history as an additional subject outside of school time. Thank God I had a history teacher willing to give up his own time to teach one kid. If I didn't take the subject to university level (fingers crossed soon Masters level) I'd feel guilty about it.

Tesseraction posted:

Look nerd, first there was the big bang, then Henry the Eighth, then World War 2 and then now. Nothing else happened.

Also the Romans happened. Ignore their presence on Great Britain for some reason, let's just focus on general Roman society for some reason?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

My primary school did a play about the exodus and the teacher thought it was a good idea to have the only Jewish kids play the part of 'the Hebrews'.

There was a song where we all sang the lyric 'Death to the Hebrews, death to the Hebrews, slay them, kill them, destroy!'. Very normal and fun stuff.

And that teacher's name?

Jeremy Corbyn.

On a sort of similar note, one of my classmates was Coo when the rest were Catholic. When we were getting confirmed (which is done through school because Church and State separation in education basically doesn't exist in Ireland) the entire class bar then was sat down by the principal to softly explain that just because he wasn't getting confirmed with us didn't mean he was a bad person or didn't believe in God, but he would have his own confirmation in private at a later time.

I understand the concern, but we were all 11 and he was one of the more popular kids so it didn't impact him at all to my knowledge. Maybe I'm wrong and it was needed in some way but we all just shrugged and went oh okay then.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

idk if this is related but last night there was no wifi on the underground either

I was actually in London this weekend and used the underground for the first time. I was a bit shocked that there didn't seem to be any wifi outside of whatever Pret was closer. Also no mobile reception which is standard in all stations in Toronto since like 2015? Made getting around a little bit more difficult because I assumed I'd have some access to my map app. Makes a lot more sense that it was down.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

UK go five minutes without a corrupt piece of poo poo as prime minister challenge (impossible)

I want to see how much corruption Truss managed to Speedrun in during her term.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This isn't how Venn diagrams work.

If it's good enough for the Guardian...

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Never looked too deeply into Alliance policies but after SDLP washed out locally they are my best choice for a sane party over here.

Sorry to inform you but Alliance are just Lib Dems. Their main issue, aside from that is they're just fence sitters on most social issues. They're probably still worth a vote if there's no other good candidate in your constituency but I personally have little hope in them actually changing anything for the better.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Not surprised that they are like Lib Dems but i'm in DUP central so i take what i can get to ruin the DUP & TUV gobshites at the polls.

Local Alliance actually got elected last time but she's gone now, they are still my best bet for a tactical vote around here. :)

Years ago i voted Sinn Féin for something that was specifically EU related, felt a bit icky doing it but the alternatives were much worse.

In that case, good for them! I don't have a lot of love for Alliance but I would rather see them than DUP or TUV.

I've tended to vote for SF when I lived in ROI but the situation across the border is obviously a bit different. They have a good set of councillors in my area and their TDs have always been a bit more involved than those of the other parties, so I haven't regretted a vote for them so far.

Now I'm living in the UK I'm trying to do a little more research into who I should vote for in the local elections. It's a deep Labour ward. Last year I voted for Labour with no issues. Candidate seemed to have an idea of what she wanted to do and she seemed good on trans issues which basically locked me up. This year I've heard nothing from Labour at all and their candidate does not seem to have any social media so I'm not comfortable blind voting for Labour. I sent off an email to both the Labour candidate and the Green candidate. If I get a good enough response from the Green Party I might switch over to them. I'm iffy on GE&W due to the transphobic elements of the party but it's not like Labour are any better currently!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Nice to see others notice that SF in Northern Ireland are not the same as SF in ROI.
My local SF politicians in NI are complete scumbags. Absolute nepo-grifters, one cousin away from drug dealers.

I grew up on the border so I have been more exposed to differing views on the party as a whole. Plenty of Catholic refugees escaping "their own side" of the Troubles from the 70s onward, plus those drug dealers setting up shop in the area/IRA members hunkering down in the area. That said, they don't appear to be associated with the party here in ROI.

Regional context matters and it's always immensely annoying when people don't understand that. I can forgive some of that coming from mainland UK but people on the island of Ireland have next to no excuse for their ignorance.

Mega Comrade posted:

The biggest shitter in the green party against trans rights is Shahrar Ali. He got sacked over it last year and is currently crowdfunding a case against the green party for discrimination. It goes to trial in August.

As the party voted for self ID as an official policy, I think it's a small subset of bigots banding together and trying to get terfs into leadership. They managed it with Ali but now the wider party members are aware of them and what they are attempting to do, I'm hopeful it won't happen again.

I want to be hopeful too, I actually mentioned Ali in my email to the Green candidate I sent. While I am hopeful, he got a not insignificant amount of the vote in 2021. Ideally, E&W would be more like the Scottish Party. In that case I'd likely have no issue supporting them.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 27, 2023

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

SF, in the Republic at least, has had some woeful background checking of local candidates with extremely lovely opinions, but I guess that's a function of a number of factors including their rapid expansion and the lack of multi-generational political dynasties like FFG.

Regardless, MaryLou is still getting my Number 1 next election. Irish Tories get nothing

From conversations I've had with people, it seems like they were lax about the last local elections because they didn't expect to make great inroads. The party prioritized having a quantity of candidates on the ballot and skimped on quality. They appeared to be legitimately embarrassed about it, in particular because the bad campaign meant poor Seanad results after the latest GE. They seem to have a good Dail team at the moment, at least.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

RE local elections

I mentioned about a week or so ago how I wrote off to both the Greens and Labour because I was undecided and didn't have enough information.

The Green councillor got back to me with a lengthy email apologizing for the lack of online updates. Apparently they've been more focused on a ground campaign. He was able to answer all my questions and said the local Green Party doea not hold Shahrar Ali's views, which is a positive! He seemed more focused on left leaning green policy rather than a Tory on a bicycle.

Labour did not get back to me at all.

+1 vote to the Green Party!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Good on ya, that's who I vote for if my Labour option isn't viable. Local Labour party are decent but I generally side-eye the party as a whole.

Yeah I'm honestly a bit disappointed. For some reason the local party is more focused on the Lib Dem candidate who is attempting to run in two or three different constituencies today. Not illegal and attention should be brought to the chancer but when the majority of your focus has been on this one guy who would have probably come third anyway... I mean come on.

I will probably switch back to Labour at the GE but I'm not too happy about it. RLB is my MP and on a personal level I'd rather be represented by her even if she's under the Labour banner than what alternatives there seem to be.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

These stories are especially insulting to those who have to go through the NHS. Both myself and my partner are on NHS lists, myself for autism and my partner for ADHD. They have been waiting close to a year now with no response. I've been waiting for about 5 months now.

ADHD wait times are so bad at the moment that I'm expected to have mine cleared before they are seen again. This is more demoralizing because I'm not "as bad" - I likely won't be prescribed anything, it is more about getting resources and having a diagnosis on a piece of paper I can show employers and education. I've already been given a soft diagnosis by my doctor and I've been handed some information and offered more specialized counselling, which is great. My partner, however, does need medication and the long wait times are incredibly frustrating. You've either realized you have ADHD or something is impacting your life in a significant enough manner that you've been referred to a specialist. At that point you are just waiting for the next part of your life to begin.

I will say, at the very least, dealing with the NHS has been a better experience than the HSE in Ireland regarding mental health. I wanted to see if I had autism a few years back (2017?) and I'm still waiting on it. I didn't even bring up autism with my doctor, it was suggested to me. Small victories.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

In my experience it's always football for the one played in the UK and gaelic for the GAA one.

I also don't particularly follow sport. Might be a factor.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

What you do is you make the different languages in different colours. So on an A road you'll have yellowy orange text for the Gaelic names & white for the English, & on B roads where the background is often white you can have the Gaelic in green & English in black. There's all sorts of studies that say that so long as there's a clear difference so you know which one to read then there's no problem.

I've always found the Irish system of putting the Irish place name in italics and the English with block capitals is perfectly readable for basically everyone. A more inclusive sign without losing any legibility.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

When I visited Edinburgh last year it was really nice to see them and compare Scottish Gaelic to Irish. Haven't been to Wales yet but I'll probably do the same. Multi-language signs are great.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know a lot of people slag off social media, but if it wasn't for social media, how much of this stuff (protection of celebrity pervs - and political crookery- by the establishment) would still be going on? (And certainly there is still a lot going on but maybe not much as if we didn't have social media).

It's a double-edged sword. On one hand it does legitimately lead to a voice for the voiceless, and people in power are at least getting some light shined on their behavior. However, on the other hand you do have individuals who have completely lost all sense and appear to believe that because of Saville and Harris that all celebrities in positions of power are secret raging paedos who are leaving cryptic clues for true believers to piece together.*

Despite this, we see very little real action against these abusers if they are able to avoid it. It appears that these extreme cases are the only serious attempts at tackling these issues. I'm specifically thinking about Stanley Johnson admitting he hit his wife with no significant blowback, or that one guy from some flavour of reality show who sold his partner's nudes without her permission putting on a show for the tabloids during his court case.

I want to hope that examples like those will encourage stricter regulations and the enforcement of currently "active" legislation, but there's always *gestures at everything* getting in the way.

* This has more to do with Pizzagate nonsense than the recent discussions around Scofield.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks - it makes sense now :) I never heard of transgendertrend or Marianna Spring before.

On this note - I hate being so internet-brained that I can recognize this kind of stuff. I sometimes have to explain this to my more offline friends and I always feel like I'm some chain-smoking conspiracy head when I explain that the guy with the gamertag 14friendlyguy88 is actually an overt fascist.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I can't vouch for quality but I have noticed that since about 2021 there have been a few ready meal services that have invested in advertising/set up shop. Logic tracks for me.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

Personally I agree with this kind of thing as direct action and would like to see more.

However, they are committing the crime of theft.

"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;"

That's the legal wording for theft and their actions are pretty much exactly that.

Once again, I am very much a "If you see someone shoplifting... No you didn't" person. I just don't want people to do this under the belief they are not breaking the law, when they absolutely would be.

Still an interesting argument for the group if they play it right. Assuming a case where they are arrested for it they can argue "all we were doing was donating to food banks" and suddenly the state, police, and supermarkets themselves are the bad actors.

It won't work because it would require an even remotely sympathetic (to the less fortunate, not other journalists) media but it might help on social media and on-the-ground activism.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I was reading a book on Hugh O’Neil and the Nine Years War and if it’s anything to go by the English presumed Ireland was a depopulated wasteland for much, much longer than this.

And then it turned out O’Neill had an income similar to the entire Tudor dynasty he was fighting.

I did a module on historical cartography in college and it was amazing seeing how long it took for the English to properly map the west of Ireland. East cost looked perfect and the west looked like it was melting.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Reminds me of when Farage crashed his plane.