Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I think Ash speaks us for all here:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1630834406494437376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My wife logged in the other day to help out one of my cousins by sending her a bunch of recipes, and it's like loving Children of Men in there when you don't log in for a while.

I didn't see the quote and just assumed you were talking about Facebook or Twitter at first.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

lol when it started if you won the big prize you'd think "I'm rich!" Now you'd think "I can buy a mid-sized house!"

According to the BoE inflation calculator the prize should be £1,776,801.96 today. According to the Nationwide UK house price index the value should be £3,995,922!

Edit: I can't seem to find a convenient wage inflation calculator but I'm guessing it'd be something like ~2m. Can't be arsed to calculate it myself.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The last time I had a mcd9nald burger it tasted of literal nothing. I would get a chicken burger next time because they don't taste of much anyway except mayonnaise

Did you lose your sense of taste to covid or something?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Most points already covered re: home buying / mortgage chat but here's my take to summarise anyway:

- If you need to borrow less than the AIP then that's a good thing, not a bad thing. There's no reason the bank would reject you purely because you wanted to borrow less money.
- If the bank values the property so much below your offer that it's disinclined to lend then you should probably reflect on whether this is actually a good price for you to be paying.
- It may seem like a hassle but things like surveyors are also for your own good. You don't want to be buying something that has serious issues that could cost you a lot of money to repair.
- As was already mentioned always try and have director phone numbers and write the names down of anyone you talked to. Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions about who someone is/their job in the process just so you're clear.
- Keep track of deadlines for parts of the process so you can keep prodding your solicitors to stop them from being slow. When your solicitor says they're waiting for their solicitor ask your solicitor to prod their solicitor. Solicitors are always loving procrastinating on everything ever.

Good luck and hopefully at the end of it all you'll have the home you want!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

We can't stand for anyone denigrating Nazis, can we?

To denigrate means to criticise unfairly. So clearly what she's saying is that it's unfair on NAZIs to compare our democracy and the Tories to them. Err.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

It seems to Hitler that the defining thing about NS is that it is German, which I suppose has some significance if you have those brainworms.

I wouldn't really thread the needle of any difference though since yeah he outright says "this is exactly like fascism, except with German characteristics and called something else."

And he wasn't the first or last (national syndicalism, national anarchism, national Bolshevism) to take something existing, slap 'national' on the front, and then just do fascism, so for convenience we can just call them all fascist as a shortcut for 'fascist, but really adamant that it's called something else (while praising fascism)'.

He uses the phrase "complete identity" so that explicitly states that these two things are in fact the same in his view in a way that goes beyond complete similarity.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Are we going to ban SSL too?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pack of tabs what is that nonsense I've literally never heard that term ever.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

If the journos like Peston weren't so poo poo we wouldn't be able to enjoy people dunking on them on twitter.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Tindalos posted:

Doubly so for admitting the studio audience is mostly Tory voters.

Tbf the episode was hosted in a constituency which the Tories won with 52.5%.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Can confirm cats love getting high.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Spangly A posted:

that was mark reckless and he won by campaigning against himself and his leadership, it was hilarious

he could split his vote 52/48 and still win, his majority is 49% and 2019 was his worst result in a long time. There's absolutely no path for a win that doesn't involve the majority of labour voters sticking to the party and turning out for a rando they don't know anywhere near as well. I don't think for a second labour think they have a prayer, they're just setting up to call everyone in islington a bigot and make a shocked face

The Mark Reckless thing was funny because of the number of vox pops from randoms where they would declare that they were voting UKIP because they Tory guy hadn't done anything.

I think Corbyn could (and should) win in North Islington.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

The Kate Forbes turns down Rural Affairs bit gets weirder

"BBC Scotland political editor Glenn Campbell said he understands that Ms Forbes felt the SNP's partnership agreement with the Scottish Greens would have "tied her hands and cost her dearly in her constituency"."

WHAT? She got 56% last time out, to the Tories 19.3%. On the list vote the Greens got 9.2% of the vote in her constituency And of the 9 council wards that make up Skye, Lochaber & Badenoch? 3 have Green councillors. I'd like to hope someone would challenger on the patent absurdity of this bollocks but alas, journalists are useless

Ah but being in a government job for the last 5 years didn't associate her with that agreement in any way of course. Only now because reasons

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

fuctifino posted:

I read that as pulling us out of the ECHR so that they can be as cruel as they can without restrictions

e: https://twitter.com/KaneEmerson/status/1638695204667691008
Praful Nargund is supposed to be the person soon to be announced to replace Corbyn
https://twitter.com/prafulnargund

He's a nepo baby too.

https://twitter.com/chaoswithkeith/status/1641067517174005761

I'm sure he won't be wanting to neuter the HFEA and make it easier for IVF clinics to rip off desperate people at all.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Oh my loving god this is the worst thing I've ever seen.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Did we miss the memo from Woke HQ to hate barges?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Recession avoided!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

the Venn diagram of people who are deeply offended by the name change and people who could find the park on a map is two circles on opposite sides of the universe

This isn't how Venn diagrams work.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Microplastics posted:

The Venn diagram between that post, his avatar and his red text is 5 circles looking at each other from the same window

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

It's not about when you registered it's about how much you've shitposted since then.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Microplastics posted:

Is anyone doing anything special for Sunday's 3pm emergency alert? Thinking of going to the cinema

I wasn't but now I'm bubbling with ideas. Probably just go to a wetherspoons though.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

To be fair I'm sure that Daisy Boo, Poppy Honey, and Petal Blossom Oliver will all struggle to be taken seriously and this will bother them immensely as they drown their tears in the tens of millions each they'll inherit.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 21, 2023

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1654126024899309572

This linkedin shows he spent two and a half years as a barrister before then becoming a parliamentary candidate

Almost choked laughing when I got to this bit:

quote:

In June 2021 Mr Tufnell married his fiancee, Poppy Elisabeth Charlotte Reed Rimington-Pounder, in All Saints Church, North Cerney, Gloucestershire. The wedding was announced in the Conservative-supporting Daily Telegraph.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Don't need to Google it to guess that Boston Independents are gonna be fash.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

I thought she meant the bird for a moment.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

When Woodcock made a particularly lovely tweet I went to go tell him to gently caress off only to see a fellow poster from this thread had already replied "Your name is three words for a dick and you're the fourth"

I would like to follow more UKMT comrades on twitter is there a list?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/simonmaginn/status/1656960115499577344?s=20

Wonder why he bottled it?
I thought most autobiographies were ghost written anyway?

Probably thinks he can make a lot more from it later on now?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

I'm okay with a lot of things being done against nazis that I wouldn't otherwise be okay with. Even though it sucks that the slave laborers were caught up in it, that's entirely the fault of the people who decided that it was acceptable to have slaves.

I can believe that without hero worshipping the RAF, blanket excusing all of their actions e.g. in colonies, or calling my dog a slur though. It probably harms any supposed anti-nazi morality to claim, as Hastings does, that the RAF fought for the right to turn dogs racist.

The 'slaves' were POWs. If they had been 1000 British POWs not Soviet POWs how do you think the UK population would've judged the success of the raids?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Private Speech posted:

The forced labourers weren't all POWs, POWs were only a small portion of the total.

Out of 7.6M total, i.e. about 15% POWs and the rest captured civilians of various kinds, mostly either politically inconvenient or 'racially impure', but sometimes just because they were young and about when the Germans stopped by (obviously does not apply to countries allied with Germany, except Slovakia because LMBO becoming a breakaway fash state wasn't enough to save them from being randomly taken off the street as labourers and sex slaves - then again it kindof did help them a bit, the quality of life was immeasurably better than in the Czech part, even if they had to go fight the soviets in Russia).

I was talking about the Dam Buster op specifically, the wikipedia entry states it was "mainly soviet" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Someone complaining about two pints being £9 is obvious trolling. Do not take the bait comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

fizzy posted:

Is Keir's manifesto just "We will adopt every Tory policy but execute them more efficiently", or is there any area where he actually has a difference in policy from the Tories?

Fewer ethnic minority candidates at the election.