Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Question IRL posted:

There is an excellent podcast series called "Maintenance Phase."

It goes into a lot of deep dives at the science behind fad diets, health food crazes and the medical industry as a whole.

Spoiler warning, most of it all is based around junk science, racist theories or just a desire to make money off people.

It's very good.

Seconding this recommendation from the last thread. Also check out Aubrey Gordon's books.

And Michael Hobbes' other podcast If Books Could Kill is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

One explicit example is David Cameron saying that it's terrible that there are messages flying around that the government can't read. As in "can't" not "aren't really allowed to unless you pinky promise it's about terrorism".

The Code Book by the melty but useful Simon Singh is a good history of codes and encryption. Basically, for most of history a government could use its position to employ the best boffins and give them massive resources to break codes (see: Turing et al), so they could expect to (eventually) read most of what they intercept.

Then some other boffins invented RSA encryption, which uses the fact that you can trivially multiply two enormous prime numbers together to make an even more massive not-prime number, but there's no equivalent mathematical function to do the reverse - i.e. tell you which 2 prime numbers the result is made of. This seemingly uniquely one-way function allows things to be encrypted in a theoretically-in-practice unbreakable way; simply choose big enough prime numbers that brute-forcing it would take thousands of years with even GCHQ's resources, and you're safe.

This encryption underpins all modern network security (websites, online payments, passwords...) and is very much binary - either it's done properly, or not. Governments choose to ignore this and demand tech companies put in "back doors", which is a bit like a perfect code lock with a backup key cylinder that can be raked open by a novice lockpicker (see: almost any Lock Picking Lawyer video). In some cases, tech companies can also hold a key, nominally for convenience, e.g. if you lose your password they can get you back into your account. But privacy-conscious services can let you opt out of this, e.g. I just activate Apple's advanced security thing, which means they can't access my data at all, and I have a recovery code. If I lose all my passwords and codes, bye bye account and data.

And of course think-of-the-children gets wheeled out as a reason to blast a hole in all security ever.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Michael Gove and Jacob Rees Mogg to host MOTD

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Sounds familiar.

BBC director, probably: "The people obviously voted for a Hard Garexit"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

We import four fifths of our neeps.

Not in Employment, Education or Parliament

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Democratic Order Of Protestants

Also my Covid-dodging luck ran out after almost exactly 3 years. I feel like that xkcd comic with the guy saying "the cake is a lie" 5 years after everyone else.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Goldskull posted:

Some right 'graphic design is my passion' / nephew of the promoter did it vibes off that poster, total poo poo.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

sebzilla posted:

like Ed Miliband in wherever it is he represents.

Bacontree?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you seriously think Green Day are nu-metal, or have I been caught in a ruse?

Well they're a fairly new band... young teen millennials I think. And they play their guitars quite hard, like all distorted metally. More so than Don McLean anyway.

So, yes?

:bahgawd::corsair:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well one place I worked in my 20s, the General Manger used to introduce me to GMs from other divisions and 'important' customers as "Our Boffin".

Pictured: JA at work :v:

Except probably less 5 o'clock shadow

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

"There but for the grace of God, go I".

A phrase I think about often, never uttered or even considered by any one of these Tory cunts. You're born into circumstances, at random, which *entirely* decide the path of your life. "Successful" people love to say "Ah well everybody has equal opportunities! I worked hard to get where I am!" as if there aren't people born in Somalia who work harder than them, but never end up where they are, having been born in the West, probably to well-off parents (literally, it is more probable that successful people have been born into wealth - familial wealth is the number 1 predictor of being wealthy yourself, unsurprisingly).

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

So yeah, don't be scared, just look stuff up on youtube and give it a go.

The other week I bought a new TV, using as an excuse the fact that the old one's backlight had gone purple and blotchy - and yes I wanted a bigger one, but also my brain also automatically goes "eeuh scary magic box, doesn't work = throw it away!"

Then I remembered that half of my day job is repairing electronics by swapping components, so I found a youtube video, somehow managed to order the correct LEDs, and successfully replaced them... until I damaged the LCD panel putting the frame back on. I was so upset, but it was worth a go. The annoying this is there probably won't be a "next time" I have to do that specific thing, but I guess I learned the lesson that LCD panels are even more fragile than you think.

In general, electronics have converged into being quite similar (some kind of power supply, some kind of control board, etc), rather than things like old CRT TVs which can give you a nasty shock if you touch the wrong bit. The big thing now is whether they can be usefully opened, or if it's all glued together in a big sticky mess.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Skull Servant posted:

On a sort of similar note, one of my classmates was Coo when the rest were Catholic. When we were getting confirmed (which is done through school because Church and State separation in education basically doesn't exist in Ireland) the entire class bar then was sat down by the principal to softly explain that just because he wasn't getting confirmed with us didn't mean he was a bad person or didn't believe in God, but he would have his own confirmation in private at a later time.

I understand the concern, but we were all 11 and he was one of the more popular kids so it didn't impact him at all to my knowledge. Maybe I'm wrong and it was needed in some way but we all just shrugged and went oh okay then.

Hah that's familiar. I grew up in a Catholic country with official state religion lessons (since abolished with further separation of church and state). My CoE parents sent us kids to those lessons because "it's all basically the same", but we sat out of first communion prep and confession.

At one point my religion teacher asked me "so what are you, some kind of Orthodox or something?"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

A teenager who knows enough about history and/or agriculture to know what salting the earth does? And just happens to target a woman using the land to feed poor people? No, I'd say it's more likely that the person responsible is 60 than 16.

There's a bitter gammon queen,
She sneaks around at night unseen,
She's more like 60 than 16
When she's salting gardens

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Something that terrifies people who think that pronouns are 'woke'?

The woke teachers were in the closet making parts of speech and I saw the parts of speech and one of the pronouns looked at me.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

Lmao, as someone from Essex who managed to escape after finishing school this just hits home. Essex and Kent are just terrible, terrible places, a blight upon an already blighted nation.

You went to a finishing school?

Great language we have there, would be a shame if someone ambiguated it

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

challenge accepted

Now I want to see "Welsh names but phonetically read by an Argentinian"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Build community housing and pay people enough that they can afford to live?

No. It's the poors who are wrong

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I think my neighbours would complain.

RCD protected socket in their house, but on Guava's bill? They'll be mining dogecoins in no time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

domhal posted:

There are three Gaelic-medium primary schools in Glasgow, with one or two more opening in the next couple of years.

Medium? Pah. Give me Max Power Gaelic schools or nothing