Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wtf who is eating sunflower shells, youre doing it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

spit out the shell on the back of a Yankees fan and eat the seed. Repeat.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

GolfHole posted:

wtf who is eating sunflower shells, youre doing it wrong

Thanks I should make a thread about it on SomethingAwful.com!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dont eat the shells i read on somethingawful.com that you will die if you eat them

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

What a world we live in, where it’s better to eat rear end than sunflower seed [shells]

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sunflower shells are the real nature’s toothbrush. Big Celery doesn’t want you to know.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I had a hamster and he would remove the shell before eating the seed. How does it feel to be dumber than a hamster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUorbf-3LHU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Same here. Then I was eating a few of them and three night in a row my stomach started bothering me. On the third night I wondered if it had anything to do with the sunflower seeds. Googled it and my EYES WERE GOATSED OPEN TO THE TRUTH

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Breaking off a stalk and just munching away at the sunflower head

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Breaking off a stalk and just munching away at the sunflower head

This is great is you like a face full of bees

Escolopendra
Nov 4, 2013
Getting out of lurking just to call OP a dumbass. Talking poo poo about sunflower seeds when you don't even know how to eat them.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Shells are the best part. Got all the fiber. Used to eat so many my gums would bleed. Once i started flossing regularly that stopped happening

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
i mash them with my bare fists to extract the sunflower oil and then sell it for $50/oz at Marin County farmers markets

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Filling my diverticula with sunflower seeds for the winter.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

This is great is you like a face full of bees

I would love a face full of bees

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

bees nuts

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Okay I just tried eating sunflower seeds “the correct way”, and this is loving bullshit.

Whole thing seems like stupid a joke a farmer would play on someone.

:bahgawd: “Try these seeds! Not the shells though. Just eat the tiny little kernel on the inside that you accidentally crush up half the time. Don’t eat the delicious shells, or you’ll poo poo blood.”

I’ve pretty much stopped eating the kernel and turned a low calorie snack into a no calorie snack. I’m just popping in a seed, crunching it, and spitting it.

Spitting these stupid shells out sucks too. It’s not easy to spit them out without making a mess in the house. Now I have this gross coffee mug full of spitty, chewy shells, and probably a few I missed sitting under the couch somewhere attracting bugs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
What you're all eating sunflower seeds? The gently caress???

Hey assholes, sunflowers need those to grow more sunflowers. When there's no more sunflowers in this world, I'm going to be telling future generation to blame all you fuckers in this thread!!!

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I'm glad the shells don't bleed my gums anymore, on account of my new oral hygiene habits. But to be honest, I would still eat them even if they did

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

think you guys might be sourcing you seeds the wrong way

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I always just eat the shells and nothing bad has ever happened to my rear end.

But when it does happen

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
At the last place I worked at, the smoking area was a concrete table with 3 benches in the middle of a dirt lot about 700 feet out from the plant.

One time some (~5) people from another shift spent so much time waiting to go into a cleanroom to fill drugs that they ate 2 entire large bags of sunflower seeds while they were hanging out.

The next day everyone, every single person in the company, even the people in the chemistry lab down at the end of the cul-de-sac like a half mile away from said smoking area who had their own, nicer poo poo on a grass campus, got an email threatening termination if they were ever seen spitting a sunflower seed in a dirt lot.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

At the last place I worked at, the smoking area was a concrete table with 3 benches in the middle of a dirt lot about 700 feet out from the plant.

One time some (~5) people from another shift spent so much time waiting to go into a cleanroom to fill drugs that they ate 2 entire large bags of sunflower seeds while they were hanging out.

The next day everyone, every single person in the company, even the people in the chemistry lab down at the end of the cul-de-sac like a half mile away from said smoking area who had their own, nicer poo poo on a grass campus, got an email threatening termination if they were ever seen spitting a sunflower seed in a dirt lot.

How big is a grass campus I think I’d like to poo poo on a grass campus

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Even birds don't eat the shell man.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

How big is a grass campus I think I’d like to poo poo on a grass campus

idk the chem lab was probably like a half acre and covered with in-house cameras that the managers and customers like Merck and Pfizer could watch at any time and like 3 DEA-only cameras, I'd recommend against it

also lol eating the shell

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Even birds don't eat the shell man.

actually i saw a bird eat the shell

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My grandpa would eat cocktail shrimp with the shells on

live your life man, eat the shells

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress sunflower seeds.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

My grandpa would eat cocktail shrimp with the shells on

live your life man, eat the shells

I will eat the tails if the shrimp are fried and nice and crunch. I think I saw it on TV that you can do that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Pumpkin seeds are where it's at. Roast 'em with some Worcester sauce, garam masala, and onion powder
Yeah yeah yeah.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I will eat the tails if the shrimp are fried and nice and crunch. I think I saw it on TV that you can do that.

rename this thread "Goons like the crunch"

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

The average person can eat 5.5 sunflower seed shells? I thought you could only eat 4. This is very unsettling

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sunflower seeds are wack, but so is most metal music. There is no accounting for taste...

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Pumpkin seeds are where it's at. Roast 'em with some Worcester sauce, garam masala, and onion powder
Yeah yeah yeah.

And you can eat the shells. Pumpkin seeds check out. There is no need for sunflower seeds anymore.

Friendship ended with Sunflower.

Pumpkin is my new seed.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You're not doing it right if you aren't squatting behind an abandoned warehouse with a few plastic beer bottles by you.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

Das Boo posted:

Yeah yeah yeah.

I can't remember who I convinced (parents, room mate, girlfriend) to try this for eh, maybe 2 years. And I got a flat "Not doing that this year" on the the next Halloween.

e: Which sucks, because those seeds blow past sunflower seeds.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Das Boo posted:

Yeah yeah yeah.

Whoa that sounds amazing. Hell I might just drink the seasoning.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

While we’re airing grievances about seeds, sesame seeds don’t do poo poo!!!!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Chief McHeath posted:

While we’re airing grievances about seeds, sesame seeds don’t do poo poo!!!!

You're not supposed to eat the shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I put them out for birds

My worst sunflower seed experience was some jack rear end spit them at me while I swept them up of a parking lot

I like the pickle flavored ones though