Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m not really personally as into public transportation and densifying as I was before Covid, as someone who still has to take it seriously (i.e., not get it so I don’t kill my wife and kid). It still would not trouble me one bit if every federal worker in DC who could went full WFH forever and the buildings were all turned into housing, ad hoc meeting spaces, or parks.

Ending WFH solely to prop up local economies feels completely wrong-headed to me. There is not any scenario where I think that’s ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But who shall read the haruspex’s entrails?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ladies love true crime, it’s true

So do I though and I don’t care how many internet people yell at me for it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t get the birth rate thing. What’s the problem, exactly? Is there an assumption that people will just keep avoiding kids until nobody’s left? That a smaller growth rate somehow means a trend toward zero? Even if people were breeding at less than replacement rate why would that rate remain fixed as the population shrinks instead of leveling out or going back up?

Social security is already boned so that argument’s a miss for me, and I definitely don’t care about having enough strong backs around to guide the boomers into the grave.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 4, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't know why the gently caress so many people are convinced social security is boned but you definitely shouldn't just shrug at the idea of being denied benefits you have paid into your entire life

Because all I ever hear is that it’s not going to last, the retirement age got pushed back, and there is zero willingness to raise or eliminate the income caps to help fund it. Don’t yell at me for not expecting retirement in 30 years lol.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm literally yelling at you for not expecting retirement in 30 years. Have some self respect and demand your loving entitlements that you have paid into. It's not loving charity - you're owed those benefits.

Ok I’m going to self respect it real hard into existence

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elon went the fake disability route on a guy with MD? loving hell there is not a depth to which this clown won’t sink

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think it's a lot more likely that he learned about the Saudi bonesaw squad (who by the way historically have been involved in stuff massively lower stakes than Elon's involvement with MBS) than that he's worried about a an actual corporate takeover per se

I’m losing my mind a bit here because it seemed for a second like people thought armed guards could do something about a corporate takeover, which unless I’m confused usually involve things like “a board vote” that don’t typically result in murdering the CEO.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 7, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’d have to be an idiot to trust in Twitter’s long term solvency.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress

Within spec

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We couldn’t even send troops to our own border without it turning into a boondoggle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’re supposed to boil it after it comes out the tap

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Considering that there is travel advisories for Mexico anyways, its a go at your own risk sort of scenario anyways.

The fact that people keep going to cartel hot spots is insane.

There isn’t a spot where people won’t say that everything is actually fine and that the government and media are lying to you. I’m sure a lot of travelers think it’s all BS, and show up unprepared to deal with life in these areas.

It rubs me the wrong way that aid is only brought up in the context of protecting tourists, and then only in the form of the threat of violence.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes, but I didn’t think that covered all interactions with the ICC whether they involved American citizens or not. Obama didn’t think so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So wait - do yall think people shouldn't visit American cities because of the gun violence?

I would recommend that all of our foreign friends heed official government advice on not honking at traffic lest a Ram driver in chunky plastic sunglasses gets offended and starts blasting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People always point out that the cartels do a lot of business outside of drug trafficking but strong arming politicians over timber trade is just regular business and probably wouldn’t stack up as many bodies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If all they had to do was chase a minimal return why did they lock their money up like a regular person investing in CDs?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Madurai posted:

SVB would also not be in this position had they not called in their biggest customers and tried to calm them down ahead of time

Oh my god no kidding that would cause a run

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“There are no libertarians in a bank run” is definitely the phrase to take away from this

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

somebody please tell me if the caviar industry is ok

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Actually SS is totally fine and definitely not under attack by devils who will probably get their way

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

dear wine industry and religious schools, i mean charter schools: maybe don't pick such an obvious loving loser for a bank. thanks.

The articles are saying that on top of SVB forcing people to bank with them in exchange for below-market lending rates investors were stipulating the same for the businesses they put money into.

Which in retrospect seems super suspicious but hey, it’s free income until it isn’t.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hey I take fish pills every day, ain’t so different. Besides the fatalities.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

In less depressing current events, the tesla semis bought by pepsi are basically useless, can only tow loads of chips for a fraction of the claimed mileage, and there have been eight instances already of the trucks requiring a tow.

Idiots Tesla-splaining truck driving to truck drivers on twitter was pretty funny

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1600968577246711808?s=20

Basically just take your pick from the replies, like Mr “Business & Finance Tech News / Science News / Space News / Science Technology / #btc / #Ð / FSD Beta Tester” here:

https://twitter.com/MMartinsbin/status/1601239252758843392?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wonder what the WSJ thinks is the reason SVB went down...

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256

...oh.

poo poo, they had a black? Talk about running a Burger King kid's club!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s just the lord trying to fix the congress created dust bowl

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Actually I think he’d ask six times who the gentleman speaking to him was and then get distracted by lunch

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

how the gently caress is this man not hosting jeopardy. bull poo poo.

Every once in a while I think about the absolute balls on the jeopardy producer for making himself the new host

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WFH is such a massive improvement to lifestyle for a whole lot of people and I really hope they keep the throwing it right in these fuckers’ faces. Sorry to downtown smoke shops or whatever. There is so much good that comes out of this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I only get one or two days home every couple of weeks and even that’s a life changer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That TikTok is scientifically designed to make people on all sides of the political spectrum burst a blood vessel lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a little ridiculous to point out that peoples’ issues with working in the office should be fixed by addressing societal problems while defending office work as some peoples’ only form of social interaction. That is clearly a societal problem that should be fixed sooner than the others.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s true

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

And you know Rizzo fucks god bless him (Gonzo does not)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s crazy. Imagine if China started using social media data to do something to harm Americans, like arrest them for seeking abortions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kith posted:

One of my friends' preteen kids wanted to try tiktok a few years ago, so I was recruited by her mom to help her set it up on her phone since I was the "tech person" friend who "understood memes". We idly scrolled funny videos for about five minutes until the feed suddenly started spitting out sex workers posting advertisements and thirst traps.

I dunno if The Algorithm has gotten better since then, but my objection to TikTok is that poo poo kinda poo poo happening, and also the general format of TikTok making it very easy to Elsagate poo poo into videos.

TikTok is great, not bad, because of how it shows me hot ladies inbetween videos of retro computer stuff and woodworkers showing me how to make better joints.

Sucks it lets people try to turn babies vegan or whatever. It should be regulated and moderated harder, not banned because of what screeching hawks have to say about the dangers of Chinese paratroopers knowing our location data.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also I think it's fair to be really skeptical about Chinese tech in general, especially when you consider how tightly they attempt to control the Chinese expatriate community in so many countries via coercion on family members, the "secret police stations" that have been discovered in so many countries...

It is totally fair, and while I try not to be all whatabout over things we just have absolutely no leg to stand on as long as law enforcement in the US is using social media to do far more harm to its citizens than Chinese intelligence ever could. This isn’t redirecting blame, it’s saying “if you mean it about wanting to help people avoid getting hurt then start here.”

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 24, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

McNally posted:

I think they're saying that the US law enforcement harms US citizens more than China could harm US citizens.

Yes. Should’ve been clear from the context of China being questioned over the harm it’s doing to US citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/12/1117092169/nebraska-cops-used-facebook-messages-to-investigate-an-alleged-illegal-abortion