Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Post here about Chinese balloons and train derailments.

You can’t fool me. This is how I ended up with a sixer from your last “balloon thread.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

Have things stopped getting worse, yet?

I no longer wake up dreading that the President has declared war on Turks and Caicos via Twitter, but am more concerned now that we collectively didn’t learn poo poo from the pandemic, which extrapolates out to us really not being prepared for the profound ecological and societal disruptions that climate change will pose, and how one political party is concentrating on banning drag shows and critical race theory while the other’s vision for the future rests with an 80 year old man and seemingly no plans for a youthful successor wing after the last of the 1990s boomer democrats retire or die while still in office.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Starbucks in DC's union station voted to unionize and was immediately closed because, paraphrasing, "the homeless problem has caused security incidents so we must close for the safety of our workers."

The DC police in the area spoke out against that because they resented Starbucks implying they weren't doing their jobs and also because that was the coffee shop all the foot patrol officers got their coffee at.

As a DC resident, this is basically the "multiple Spidermen pointing at each other" meme come to life because all of these things are true to some degree.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

If you're gonna pull this "they deserve it" schtick, picking DC, a predominantly African American city allowed limited self determination at the mercy of Congress is a major yoikes.

Also at least before covid more workers commuted on metro from DC into the Virginia suburbs than the other way around.

Hey, speaking of limited self-determination:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1631392285182009376?s=20

This is less about "lessening sentences" as it is "bringing sentencing guidelines in line with other states and major cities" but I wouldn't have expected anything different from President Omnibus Crime Bill of 1994. I do think we're going to see more "tough on crime" stuff out of Democrats in the run-up to 2024, which promises to be hilariously bad in terms of policy outcomes.

Meanwhile, Mayor Adams of NYC continues to reveal that he's a big loving idiot who doesn't care for one of the central tenets of this country's governing principles. What is it with NYC voters always picking the absolute shittiest people to be mayor?

[quote]
We would not have children because when we took prayers out of schools, guns came into schools. So the reflection point of today, when we do an analysis of these annual coming-together, is to state, "Are we leaving our best fight in the gym? Are we finding ways to really take what we took in the gym and bring it into the real fight?"
Don't tell me about no separation of church and state. State is the body. Church is the heart. You take the heart out of the body, the body dies. I can't separate my belief because I'm an elected official. When I walk, I walk with God. When I talk, I talk with God. When I put policies in place, I put them in with a God-like approach to them. That's who I am. And I was that when I was that third-grader, and I'm going to be that when I leave government. I am still a child of God and will always be a child of God and I won't apologize about being a child of God. It is not going to happen."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1631734104357044235?s=20

Building new cities just for funsies is straight up dictator poo poo. Look at Naypyidaw in Myanmar, or the new capital Sisi is building in Egypt.

I made it like a minute into this before Trump started talking about flying cars or some bullshit.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tom Sizemore passed away. He had a brain aneurysm a few weeks ago and never regained consciousness.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

slurm posted:

Professional class white millennials are getting a massive childcare subsidy in the form of being WFH now and able to take care of their kids in between sending two emails a day.

Tell me you don’t know “professional class white millennial” mothers without telling me you don’t know any “professional class white millennial” mothers.

If anything things got tougher for the mothers I know because of daycare closures and how they would have to parent and educate their kids when they were supposed to be working, and they all have jobs that entail a hell of a lot more than sending two emails a day.

This is a gross post and you should feel bad about making it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Those companies deserve to be attacked btw

I'm particularly bitter because a few months after I started my current job, the person who recommended I be hired was terminated because my employers tightened their telework requirements and gave them the choice of either moving to an area where they could be in the office two days a week or resign. As this person has a family in the state that they were living in, they had to resign. And now my employers are filling their former position with someone who lives in another country, so basically they canned someone who had been there for a few years, had a specialized degree of knowledge that uniquely qualified them for the role and was liked by everyone on our team only to pinch a few pennies by leaving the role vacant for six months and then hiring someone in a cheaper country.

I remember at the start of the pandemic there were tons of op-eds about how remote work could be revolutionary for workers and one of the biggest wins since the 40-hour work week (an arbitrary number in the modern era) and the weekend. Now apparently it's our responsibility to reinvigorate the downtown area so we can spend hours a day commuting just to do Zoom meetings in the office instead of from home? gently caress that poo poo. The only people clamoring for mandatory return to the office are middle managers who can't rule their fiefdoms of mediocrity with an iron fist anymore and corporate landlords who spent the past three years failing to adapt.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I often wonder what kind of poster Elon would be if he were a goon. I know he fancies himself a Lowtax type, but even though he turned out to be an enormous piece of poo poo whose last decision was the right one, you have to admit that 1999 Lowtax had the right blend of a certain wit, charisma and circumstance that a community could coalesce around and Musk has…none of that. His tweets are like the epitome of lovely White Noise poster who is so intolerable that not only does he get run out of FYAD, but even BYOB finds him too unchill to post.

I’m basically watching Twitter waiting for something like this to happen but with Rhodesian Lowtax shrieking NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP GRIMES

https://youtu.be/9OYZ04mCGCo

Ghost Recon-ing intensifies

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

hey look, someone at the NHTSA discovered twitter videos

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1633443958222192642?t=iNU4Ewsyh_IZH7ePGXvjmw&s=19

granted this is just the 2023s which somehow shipped without a steering wheel bolt, but I've seen many "oops, wheel fell off, sweet, please help @elonmusk" videos for years

A good steering wheel that doesn’t fly out of the car when you’re driving!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/WMurphyNews/status/1633639875281924097?t=vSh945Xid_6zLwnegQcoAQ&s=19

@ltgovmcnally: A little moody after being used. Why do guys always freak out when I ask them to spit in my mouth? Need a real king that can handle.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I know I shouldn't be shocked or surprised by this anymore, but even after Biden made the pledge to have no more oil drilling on federal lands, it's seriously loving disappointing that his administration just approved one of the largest drilling projects on Arctic land.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

To be fair, sandwiches are a lot more calorie dense than most people realize. Also cured pork products have a ton of sodium in them, and (for example) Jimmy Johns bread has a ton of sugar in it. A 16 inch sub there can easily break 2000 calories.

Maybe if Jimmy John wasn’t so concerned about having their kitchen staff be 45% women, 1 black, 1 LGBTQ+ and two veterans then they’d stop dumping sugar all over my sandwiches and i wouldn’t have diabetes. I’m not saying 12 white men would have avoided this mess, but the company may have been distracted by diversity demands.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 14, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In case you missed it, Bethany Mandel, a conservative writer who wrote an entire book about the perils of ~bEiNg WoKe~ and went viral in the literal sense of the word for her, uh, strong feelings about masks, went on Briahna Joy Gray's show "Rising." Like five minutes into the interview, she absolutely crashed and burned when asked to define what "woke" means (again, remember that she just wrote a book on it) and absolutely flailed about while trying- and failing- to provide a definition.

https://twitter.com/vanguard_pod/status/1635749284355211264

Her response was to claim that she was thrown off guard by the host apparently making a mean remark about parents before the show, which again, had been going on for like five minutes before they got to this specific question.

https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/1636023822158635010

Meanwhile, Ken Klippenstein, who's a pretty great journalist who writes for the Intercept and other outlets, has been retweeting a bunch of her more ridiculous tweets, including this humdinger about her mother
https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/529078590663835651

It's just about the funniest thing to happen on Twitter since the last time Elon dunked on himself.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Don't you loving DARE, Sam Neil

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64969344

edit: dilophosaurus snipe

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’ve read some interesting takes that what we’re seeing as inflation now could be even more accelerated inflation as a result of generationally long money printing.

I only took the basic economics course needed for gen ed, so I’m in no way an expert here… But there is precedent. Not recent U.S. precedent but recent other national precedents.

My big take away is we absolutely do not want this war the hawks are going on about with the PRC to happen. If you want to see 100% of everything go to gently caress faster than you can say “Reds over the Rhein!” In 1989 then let hostilities commence between the PRC and the U.S. and it’s Allie’s.

Holy gently caress that would be awful.

A war between the US and China would be awful for everyone involved even if it doesn’t go nuclear. In addition to a ton of lives lost in Taiwan, Korea, Japan, etc. the global economy would absolutely loving tank in ways I don’t think economists in either the US or China have even gotten around to thinking about because the first-order effects are bad enough. That said, China is becoming increasingly bellicose and the probability of a miscalculation that escalates continues to grow.

bird food bathtub posted:

"The Economy" will be bad when rich people say it is. It is and has been loving poo poo for decades for a lot of, I'd even believe most though that's stretching, people. It's just not the people that belong to the class that gets to produce propaganda and purchase narratives.

Especially when you compare the gap between worker productivity and wages, it’s been clear that decades of economic growth have been borne on the backs of the middle class on downward. I sure as poo poo don’t feel like it’s a good economy if my wages have been relatively stagnant since 2016.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wishing you all the kind of lovely Sunday afternoon/evening vibes that only a video of two Proud Boys- one with a bloodied face- being chased out of NYC.

https://twitter.com/ScooterCasterNY/status/1637508550103638019?t=854YvkZgQafAc4JhOMQoAg&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here in DC, we have this annual Drag Race down 17th Street near Dupont Circle, and it's a treat to watch. Not only do these queens show up in awesome outfits, but THEY. ARE. loving. FAST. There is nothing cooler (or more intimidating if you're insecure) than watching some 6' tall drag queen booking it at like 15 mph while wearing heels. I don't know how long I could run 15 mph in running shoes but it wouldn't be nearly as long.

Can we also acknowledge how loving based To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar was not even today, but in loving 1995 when it came out? You had Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo- all men who had huge roles as action stars- playing a bunch of drag queens who didn't take poo poo from anyone but were classy AF while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJbr9rkuRM

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Loden Taylor posted:

DeSantis is far more of a threat than Trump, but as long as Trump is still around I'm not terribly worried about him winning. The MAGA base doesn't want a Trump knock off when they can have the real deal, and while DeSantis actually delivers on all the horrible poo poo Trump rambles about, he doesn't have anything close to Trump's charisma and ability to work a crowd. Plus, extreme right-wing candidates have done pretty poorly outside of deep red areas since 2020, so regardless of which one of the two ends up getting the nomination, I think they're both non-starters when it comes to the general election.

Not that I'm saying to relax, or not to worry, but overall I think the GOP has catered to their lunatic fringe for so long that now the kind of candidate who can win a Republican primary is also one who will massively drive Democratic turnout to defeat them, and encourage non-MAGA Republicans to either stay home or just abstain on the Presidential pick and focus on down ticket races. American voters are complacent and dumb as poo poo, but looking at how things have gone since 2020, I think enough of them got hosed by 2016 that they'll come out in force against Trump or another Trump-like.

That's what I tell myself to keep from going crazy, anyway.

Given that Biden seems to be going full steam ahead on being the oldest incumbent president to win reelection and the DNC is showing no signs of floating trial balloons for successors, I worry that all DeSantis will have to do is make himself look coherent and youthful by comparison and he'll pull off some independents. Biden's approval rating is low, and if the GOP is able to temper catering to its lunatic base (and if Trump dies between now and then, which seems at least somewhat likely given his age, sedentary lifestyle and horrible diet), then there's a non-zero chance that DeSantis win the presidency. Remember that more people voted for Trump in 2020 than they did in 2016, even if Biden demonstrably won the popular vote, and hubris has led Democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on more than one occasion.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i wonder if biden would have gone for reelection if not for unexpectedly getting thrust into (effectively) wartime president mode. i mean, yeah, there were indications he was gonna do so anyway before, but circumstances appear to have clinched the deal

half of me says he's trying to backroom groom harris as an effective foreign policy leader to take over when he inevitably gets too old to do the job. "win an election, continue on a bit, resign, deliver a big legacy bomb as the old white guy who turned the presidency over to a black woman" feels like a very biden move

it's maybe preferable to some gop alternative, but goddamn do i despise american politics' slide into a patronage system because that's far more advantageous for either side of the entrenched powers than trying for systematic electoral reform

I feel like if he was trying to position Harris as his successor, he would have made an effort to give her some wins that she could use to establish her bona fides as the next president, but her media profile seems pretty small and otherwise diminished. Buttigieg also seems like he’s less viable since Republicans will try to hang the Norfolk Southern, gas prices and the lovely situation with airlines on him even if he seems to be making a serious and concerted effort at doing his job. The legacy of the 2020 primaries looks like it was the Democrats coming together to position Biden as the logical candidate while handing out admin jobs to his rivals and that seems to have also made Harris and Buttigieg less viable in 2024.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Fascism is on the march! But I really hate old people.

Biden is already at the age where people should be taking annual driving tests to make sure they’re still competent to drive, let alone run the country. I don’t think it’s that big of an ask to have a president not from the generation of lawmakers that has had a stranglehold on political leadership for over 30 years.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Also, since this hasn't been posted, here's basically why Michigan has a Democratic trifecta for the first time in 40ish years:

https://twitter.com/MIGOP/status/1638518055897538563

The unspoken thing here is today’s GOP are confident that their supporters are armed up enough to be the ones taking the rings.

Meanwhile, in other gun bullshit, you have this:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/03/20/uvalde-shooting-police-ar-15/

Now the newest explanation has shifted to police being so scared of the big bad gun wielded by an untrained teenager that they couldn’t storm the classroom in Uvalde, despite being armed with the same gun and equipped with plates that can stop 5.56 mm rounds, being trained in active shooter response and having a 376-1 advantage.

I work in a role that has me interacting with cops from a variety of agencies. I‘ve heard a variety of explanations from them as to why the cops didn’t attempt to breach the classroom, ranging from “they thought it was a barricade situation so they held back” to the extremely offensive “in the wake of the BLM riots (their words not mine), the chief thought that people would protest and riot if they killed the shooter.” As if anyone whose opinion mattered would have a problem if someone killing kids got domed.

These cops told me these things with a straight face, although I could tell that they were grasping onto anything- ANYTHING- to absolve their fellow badge holders of their cowardice and moral failings.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kith posted:

The real problem is that "Social Media" encompasses most forms of online communication - chatrooms and forums were the first Social Medias, for example. Banning it would mean destroying at least half (and probably more) of the internet, and that's assuming there's no pushback or underground replacements.

Social Media is like combustible fuel: it's here to stay. The best we can do is try to keep the lead out of it.

The difference is that "social media" when most of SA's posters came of age lacked today's algorithms that weaponized the user experience. Forums, chat rooms, even things like MySpace and Facebook at its infancy were largely organized on shared interests; now, it's REAL easy for someone to be a fan of Call of Duty or whatever, seek out that content on Instagram/TikTok, get served up adjacent content like military stuff, which leads to guns, which can lead to some far-right stuff REAL easy. From there, it's not hard to find their way onto 4chan, etc. There's considerable crossover as well- look at the phrase "glowy" or "feds glow" as an example.

Also I think it's fair to be really skeptical about Chinese tech in general, especially when you consider how tightly they attempt to control the Chinese expatriate community in so many countries via coercion on family members, the "secret police stations" that have been discovered in so many countries...

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Separate but related note- it was super weird seeing trailers for the new Flash movie given what an absolute no-poo poo groomer Ezra Miller is. I would love to see Michael Keaton as Batman again, but the idea of watching anything with that creep Miller skeeves me out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1640061666762059776

Is Netanyahu looking to be prime minister for life?

He’s stacking the judiciary to protect him from being removed from office and has built a coalition with the most racist and violent elements of Israeli society. Not exactly the actions of someone who’s looking to leave power any time soon (especially considering how many times he’s been PM before.)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/status/1640369455996731392

Netanyahu is hoping to kick the can down the road long enough that the protest's momentum will fade.

Dictator 101 poo poo right here.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kith posted:

let's hope it actually loving happens this time

It won’t, regardless of whatever anyone thinks of an AWB.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

^^^^really great post and explainer about what's going on in Israel, thanks for taking the time to write this up

Meanwhile, back to the US

https://twitter.com/purplechrain/status/1640429647245484060

Regardless of what the actual gender identity or age of the TN shooter turns out to be, may she rot in piss, expect the militant right to turn the "pregenocidal rhetoric" knob a few more notches against trans and gay people.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yo this is crazy as all gently caress. I know dictators gonna dictate but jfc torching a whole country to (maybe) save yourself from your own actions??

The Syrian military/paramilitaries were infamous for leaving behind “Assad or we burn the country” graffiti after they “liberated” areas held by the insurgents in 2011-2013.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Something like this has never, ever had profound, far-reaching consequences before

https://twitter.com/athertonkd/status/1640440959405273089?s=46

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Modern Israeli politics has always befuddled me because it seems like everyone hates the Haredi, albeit for different reasons. The dwindling left seems to hate them for taking advantage of Israel’s generous welfare system without contributing much to it (“Torah is my profession!”) whereas the hard right hates them for not serving in the IDF. And it seems to me that the settler bloc could show J6 types a thing or two about being extremely militant, entitled and armed, although strict adherence to Orthodox Judaism doesn’t seem to be their thing, just ethnic and historical supremacy. I’m not Jewish but spent a lot of time reading English-language Israeli media (Haaretz, JPost, YNet, Israel National News) and the divisions between each outlet were pretty stark.

This article is 12 years old but has always struck me. It’s long but well worth the read, especially when you consider that people like these teenage settlers are starting to get into positions of power or influence.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/israel-middle-east/articles/girls-at-war

Edit:

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Not saying it’s right but as far as the ME report is gonna say, this was perpetrated by an angry white man. Who got got by actual cops, not whatever the gently caress those hundreds of boys in Uvalde want to call themselves.

Unless she was post op. I think. It’s been a while since I binged SVU. Also, SVU is fictional and takes place not just in a different state, but reality itself. I say that, because the same could be said of Tennessee itself.

gently caress this person for what they did, and what will come of it.

I have to admit that one thing I struggle with is when lovely people start claiming that they’re transgender or nonbinary. Ezra Miller, the Flash star, was actually grooming underage girls and identifies as non-binary, the Colorado Springs shooter tried to claim they were non-binary, and now this shitbag in Tennessee may be trans as well. Having known a few trans/non-binary people, I grapple with wanting to be respectful and supportive of people’s identities and their pronouns with also feeing like none of the aforementioned people or those like them have earned the right to hide behind a nonconforming gender identity given that their horrible actions will make it that much harder for people who are already struggling for acceptance in an increasingly hostile social space. I also recognize this isn’t my gate to keep as a cishet white dude but gently caress, this is going to get so much worse for LGBTQIA people now.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 28, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

So is B*** hosed yet or is this poo poo gonna take weeks of shutting the country down?

MODS????

Edit: serious post so I don’t get bibislapped by Hekk- the general strike still went ahead today so it seems like people aren’t going to forget about this. Given the widespread opposition to this thing, it’s not like Bibi can do the usual dictator thing and turn the secret police on protest organizers.

He’s likely already hosed or he’s doubling down on his ability to ram this thing through and have his regime survive. Only time will tell.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 28, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Head of a major police union in California has been indicted for smuggling in drugs, including fentanyl; at one point using her police union’s address as the return address for a shipment sent to North Carolina.

https://twitter.com/henrykleektvu/status/1641236641250676736?s=46

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/esqueer_/status/1641519491791069200?s=46

If you have to say “I never inspired a bomb threat” to a sitting member of Congress you should probably reevaluate your life choices. Also I continue to adore AOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/nirol__/status/1641566583897174016?s=46